BajaNomad

Driving down to Cabo Friday 9/10 -Company?

Alex67 - 9-6-2004 at 04:54 PM

My first ever drive down! Planning on a 3-day safe drive in my 4x4 toyota. Fully loaded with my belongings as I am now permanently moving down to Cabo/Todos Santos.

First night in San Quintin, or maybe even Guerrero Negro if I find a ride-along to help with the driving (hint...hint).
Second night in GN or Conception Bay (again, depending on conditions).
Third night iin Loreto or La Paz, and then down to Cabo to meet up with my biz partners.

If anyone wants a free ride, come along! I'm a yapper, and think it'll be a lonely drive...then again, I've got my "Instant Immersion" spanish CDs...and 1000W system so I can learn extra well :biggrin:

At any rate, I really like this board and wish I would have looked around for it a few years back...

I am part owner of a small development company in CSL and Todos Santos. We do subdivisions, home construction and even a few condos (Villas De Oro in Palmilla).

Thanks for all the help, and if any questions pop-up prior to Friday I will make certain to post them here!

Hasta Luego!

Alex

Driving to Cabo

mcgyver - 9-6-2004 at 05:19 PM

You need an XM satellite radio, over 150 clear ,static free channel of news, talk , music of any kind you can name , weather traffic reports etc. Best thing I ever bought in audio. $9.95 a month subscription, about $200 for receiver, less at truck stops, Best Buy etc. I got mine a "SKYFI" and the boom box from Crutchfield for a good discount and then got $100 rebate from XM. Later I got the car caddie so I just switch the receiver bak and forth from house to car, for car use it plays thru you radio so the better your radio the better the sound. I would not do with out it now and although they cannot advertise it as working in Mexico, obvisouly it does since the satellites are at 85* and 115* over the Equator 35000 KM high. 115* runs from between Mexicali and Agadones to west of Cabo so reception is excellent. Drive carefully!

Good Idea!

Alex67 - 9-6-2004 at 07:21 PM

My friend owns a Car Audio place and is installing new alarm tomorrow (new 35" tires going on as well!), and he suggested a XM radio. For less than $500 installed it seems like a great solution, which would include the first year pre-paid...

I'll dheckout the demo in the shop tomorrow, but a ride-along would be even better ;)

JESSE - 9-6-2004 at 09:13 PM

Call me old fashion, but i prefer to drive across Baja just listening to a good old CD of my favorite music, somehow listening to Al Franken or Rush Linbaugh on the middle of the Vizcaino desert sounds unnatural to me.One of the main atractions of driving actross baja is the feeling of getting away from civilization, its just you, your car, and your toughts.

mcgyver - 9-7-2004 at 04:58 AM

Jesse,I have a home compiled CD of 21 Mexico songs that I play. Some of them you may never have heard of.

"I was Born in Mexico' Don Juan Demarco

"Take Me Down to Mexico" Long Beach Dub Allstars

"I think I'll Go to Mexico" Gary P. Nunn

And my favorite :" Riding My Thumb to Mexico" Johnny Rodriguez

And of course Wille: " Across the Border Line"

solution

Alex67 - 9-7-2004 at 08:18 AM

I spent some time research XM radios last night, and decided against it. I have plenty of good CDs, and 8 spanish study CDs, so that ought to keep me busy.

I also decided to take my time and do some exploration while I'm at it...so I am going to make it a 7-day drive instead of 3.

Instant Immersion

John M - 9-7-2004 at 09:50 AM

Alex, have you tried the Instant Immersion cds yet? I am sure looking for a good learning cd. What level of Spanish do you currently have? John M.

Intermediate

Alex67 - 9-7-2004 at 11:22 AM

I was married to a spanish speaking (Salvadorena) for 8 years, and got my fair share of practice. I can order food, get directions, and hold a light conversation.

I will post next week and let you know how the CDs worked!

JESSE - 9-7-2004 at 11:33 AM

The CDs will do fine, enjoy your trip.

RIDE to CABO ....

cristobal - 9-7-2004 at 12:10 PM

ALEX ..........

Where are you starting from ..??? I wouldn't mind making a run to CABO .... LOBSTER season opens in a WEEK. :o:bounce: I live in ORANGE COUNTY,CA. right off the 405 FWY ....

:wow::rolleyes::yes::P:smug::fire:

Cristobal...

Alex67 - 9-7-2004 at 01:14 PM

I'm leaving on Friday (Sept.10) in the wee hours. I can pick you up if you want to tag along! Call me at (805)886-7094 if you are serious!

more

Alex67 - 9-7-2004 at 01:14 PM

I'm driving from Thousand Oaks, Ca....

PERFECT ................

cristobal - 9-7-2004 at 01:44 PM

I will call you tonight ....
:o:wow::rolleyes:
I will be ready .....:smug:;D:rolleyes:

:o:bounce::cool::fire:

David K - 9-7-2004 at 04:49 PM

Alex, you are in for a treat... cristobal is a wealth of information on the mountain and fishing people of central Baja.

What kind of side trips do you want to make? I have several if geology or history of Baja interest you... Many ideas in my web site (link below).

Good to know!

Alex67 - 9-7-2004 at 05:12 PM

I just need to make sure he's not carrying any guns or drugs :lol:

I will make a load try tomorrow to assure that I have enough room to accomodate an additional rider. I've got 5 80 gal.containers, one 150gal Scuba gear bag, two large and two small suitcases, one PC with large 19" monitor and 8 suits...

I think it will work, but I will talk to Cristobal when he calls me and take it from there. I checked out your website and read some of your stories. After consideration I might just make a few minor excursions as I have a full load, and make my real side trips on the way up or down in a few months...time will tell.

I know that I will need to stop at immigration right by the TJ border (is it RIGHT after you get thru the gates?) and get my tourist visa. -Do I need to declare my PC and clothes/crap and pay duty on them?

Any helpful hints/tips are Greatly appreciated!!!

Alex

David K - 9-7-2004 at 06:34 PM

As it sounds like you have never been to Mexico by car before, I can only repeat what I have read about 'moving' south... With an FM-3 you are allowed a one time moving of your (used) furniture and clothes duty free. Ask the consulate about the forms.

As a tourist (FM-T visa), you cannot bring a desk top computer or furniture/ appliances down (without paying an extreme high tariff/ import tax. You can bring typical tourist items and camping gear, scuba, fishing, camera, the usual stuff, without declaring or paying tax on it.

To get your FM-T visa (known as a 'TOURIST CARD'), use the far right lane and park in the inspection area ('something to declare' area). Tell the approaching officers you are just stopping for a tourist card, and ask if you can park there. Unless of course you are declaring stuff to import (have all the receipts).

Walk over to the INM office and request a 180 day tourist card, have your passport or birth cert. and drivers license. Fill out form, you wil be indstructed to walk to the bank teller (next door), pay the approx. $20 US, return to INM for final stamp, and you are on your way.

Oh, you do have a possible red/green light to pass through when you leave secondary, if red, then you will be searched... same as everyone else who gets the red light.

The tourist card is inspected at the Baja Ca. Sur state border near Guerrero Negro.

pappy - 9-7-2004 at 08:46 PM

have a safe, fun trip!one question though-does baja really need anymore development??

No it does not...

Alex67 - 9-7-2004 at 10:16 PM

No it does not...

but we all do what we can to live. Be assured that as a nature preserver I will do all in my power to give as little impact on nature's run as I can. We simply assist with the acqusition, architectural design, and construction of single family residences. The 8 homes I have been part of building are all 100% self-sufficient. I am a pro-solar fan, and use decomp.toilets wherever the owner agrees.

I know I will get my slams here, but believe me; as a Scuba diving rescue diver, naturalist and dive instructor I have the desire of maintaining nature the way it is. You will however always have growth in areas such as Baja. I am 100% against all the new marinas on the Sea of Cortez side, and I am one small part of people trying to oppose furher development as it will destroy the marine life.

You can complain about my bread and butter living, but please keep in mind that I try to do my part with a ecological solution. Do not be a hater. Treat everyone equal, and love one another.

:saint: :saint: :saint:

Cristobal...

Alex67 - 9-8-2004 at 07:00 AM

I didn't get a call from you yesterday, but my phone will be on all day, so call when you get time.

cristobal - 9-8-2004 at 02:01 PM

I will call tonight ...... for sure ......promise .....

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::P:P

Are they out of

jrbaja - 9-8-2004 at 05:03 PM

bread and butter in the u.s.? Because there sure are a lot of gringos looking for it by developing Baja, not just you.

No...Im moving to Baja permanently...

Alex67 - 9-9-2004 at 08:44 PM

and I'm picking up Cristobal tomorrow at 6:30am in Costa Mesa and am taking him to Turtle Bay. Thanks for all the great help and I will be back on the board in 2 weeks or so when I get settled in in Baja Sur!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

synch - 9-20-2004 at 02:14 PM

How did it go, where did you stop, and did you get any diving in?

Down in Cabo safe and sound

Alex67 - 9-23-2004 at 02:39 PM

Hi all!

The drive down was smooth and fun with the company of Cristobal (from the board here). We spent 1st night in San Quintin, at the Malmarrino motel, second night in Santa Rosalia where I also left Chris with some ranchers in the hills above the town.

Third night was spent at my friends hotel La Concha in La Paz...and instead of going to Todos Santos I continued down to Palmilla (Cabo San Lucas) as my biz partner just finished building a house that I could use for a while. Still here, diving Cabo Pulmo every other day. Setting up a new office downtown Cabo San Lucas (selling land up by Todos Santos and Pescadero) and playing poker at Caliente in the evenings.

NEVER GOING BACK!

Life is free down here, and I feel so happy and peaceful...totally rejuvenated!

Wish I would have moved down a few years back, but I?m only 29, so I got a few good years ahead to enjoy here!

Look me up in Palmilla, -Villas De Oro sales office...or on Y.Guerrero street in downtown CSL (the old Pedregal Realty office).

Hasta Luego all!

synch - 9-23-2004 at 03:01 PM

How was the diving?
Did you do Cabo Pulmo from shore or from a boat?
(Could you have gone from shore and is it possible to get to the reefs easily?)
Thank you

mcgyver - 9-23-2004 at 04:12 PM

Alex67, What did the Mexican customs say about the computer? Or did you just go for the green light?

cristobal - 9-23-2004 at 04:30 PM

Alex got the GREEN light ... so NO inspection. The inspector asked him how old the computer was .... and looked at the monitor. It was 5 years old ... with so many mega bites ... The inspector let him bring it in with NO charge .....:bounce::bounce::bounce:
The reason was that it was so old ..... the NEW stuff would run circles around it. I was very surprised..... but saw it with my own eyes ..... things are a changing ......

:o;D:smug::rolleyes::O:P

mcgyver - 9-23-2004 at 04:51 PM

Christobal, I had my laptop in my briefcase, always carry it back and forth, they open it one day and you would have thought it was a bomb!! But I had the sales slip laminated and taped on the back and it was 3 years old so they finnaly let me go! I see people in the Net in San Felipe with the very latest in laptops and when I ask them how much it cost to get it into Mexico they don't know what I am talking about, clueless!! Someday they will be poed when they seize it and their car!!

LAP-TOPS

cristobal - 9-23-2004 at 05:09 PM

I heard lap-tops come in at NO CHARGE. You must have missed that one ......
I own a computer at home but NOT a lap-top. When I am in BAJA .... I just stop at an INTERNET CAFE like the one that I am in right now in SAN IGNACIO right across from the IGLACIA in the town square.:bounce::bounce:

By the way ..... The weather is really nice here right now .... lots of water .... everything is GREEN ... and the evenings are very nice. SANTIAGO opened my door at 2 AM last night and asked me if I wanted a blanket. I told him this is just right for me .........

:o:yes::rolleyes::wow::O:P

JESSE - 9-23-2004 at 06:56 PM

I am glad the trip was a success.