BajaNomad

8/8/11 -- Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree with Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations

Ken Cooke - 8-7-2011 at 12:25 AM

RESTAURANTS

Joshua Tree Country Kitchen

Known as the best greasy-spoon diner in Joshua Tree, the Country Kitchen is the place where you can get a hangover-fix after a night of partying in the desert.
61768 29 Palms Hwy, Joshua Tree, CA, 92252

Lord Fletcher’s

Try the prime rib at Lord Fletcher’s…served up in a dining room covered in Old English artifacts.
70385 Highway 111, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

Pappy and Harriet’s

A true roadhouse in the middle of the desert, this spot serves up live music and great food.
53688 Pioneertown Rd, Pioneertown, CA 92268

ACTIVITIES

Rancho de la Luna

Tony visited this private recording studio where bands come to record in the middle of Joshua Tree.

Anthony Vineyards

Tony visited this table grape vineyard near the Salton Sea and had a picnic with the local workers.
52-301 Enterprise Way, Coachella, CA 92236-2706

Integratron

Built by a former scientist who got the blueprints from aliens, Integratron lies deep in the desert. It’s now the only all-wood acoustically perfect sound chamber in the US.
2477 Belfield Boulevard, Landers, CA 92285

Sky Village Swap Meet

This is the ultimate flea market…from turquoise knife handles to mannequin heads, you can find almost anything up for sale at the Swap Meet.
7028 Theater Road, Yucca Valley, CA 92284

[Edited on 8-7-2011 by Ken Cooke]

Marc - 8-14-2011 at 04:57 PM

What time of the year was this filmed. I was there a few weeks ago. Was 108º.

Stickers - 8-14-2011 at 06:13 PM

Best show I have ever seen on a unique area, where hipsters hang with desert derelicts.

Ken Cooke - 8-14-2011 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
What time of the year was this filmed. I was there a few weeks ago. Was 108º.

The San Bernardinos had snow covering its peaks. Must have been February or March of this year.

Caught that eposode...

Mexray - 8-14-2011 at 10:45 PM

...was interesting, although Bourdain's (producers) editing leads me astray at times...

We went to see him on stage, to give one of his 'talks' when he was in Sacto a while back - there was a good turnout, but I was a bit disappointed in his presentation - most of his stories were interesting, but not really all that organized, IMHO...Can't put my finger on it, but he comes off as a bit of an elitist...perhaps a bit more 'work' on his personal appearances to large groups...he works alone, without any assistants, I understand, and it shows...just my two cents worth...

It is fun to see some of the off-beat places he visits on his shows...

durrelllrobert - 8-15-2011 at 01:12 PM

Integratron

Built by a former scientist who got the blueprints from aliens, Integratron lies deep in the desert. It’s now the only all-wood acoustically perfect sound chamber in the US.
This is it:

[Edited on 8-15-2011 by durrelllrobert]

Dome.jpg - 20kB

durrelllrobert - 8-15-2011 at 01:14 PM

Here's a pic of the dome ceiling:

DOMECE1.jpg - 12kB