BajaNomad

Cost estimate 750 sq feet cinder block structure

Pages:  1  

drzura - 8-14-2011 at 12:55 PM

Hello all. What would you estimate a 750 square foot cinder block structure cost to have built in San Lucas (south of Santa Rosalia). I am thinking a two bed room/one bath unit. I am thinking of a basic structure, nothing fancy at all. Thanks for any replies.

Damion

durrelllrobert - 8-14-2011 at 01:23 PM

Don't know about total cost but materials for 8ft high exterior walls of a 28 ft x 28 ft cinder block structure (1000 8x16 blocks + mortar and rebar) will run around $2, 000 and take 2 men around 4 days to lay compared to about the same materail $ for metal stud structure (112ft top and bottom channels, 84 studs @16" on center, screws and 28 sheets DuraRock (yellow board) which will only take 2 men 1 day to complete. The foundation/slab, roof and interior walls, will be the same $ either way you go. The plumbing and electric will either be exposed on block structure or hidden within at extra labor cost while both are hidden in metal stud construction at no extra cost + its easy to insulate the structure. Good luck.

Bob and Susan - 8-14-2011 at 04:12 PM

robert robert robert...you aint in kansas anymore

he SAID san lucas cove not punta banta...

40 grand completed

DENNIS - 8-14-2011 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
40 grand completed

Really????? That's a lot for 750 feet.

woody with a view - 8-14-2011 at 04:33 PM

he means it'll take 2 months at a rather large weekly salary for two guys....:P

[Edited on 8-14-2011 by woody with a view]

Mexitron - 8-15-2011 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Don't know about total cost but materials for 8ft high exterior walls of a 28 ft x 28 ft cinder block structure (1000 8x16 blocks + mortar and rebar) will run around $2, 000 and take 2 men around 4 days to lay compared to about the same materail $ for metal stud structure (112ft top and bottom channels, 84 studs @16" on center, screws and 28 sheets DuraRock (yellow board) which will only take 2 men 1 day to complete. The foundation/slab, roof and interior walls, will be the same $ either way you go. The plumbing and electric will either be exposed on block structure or hidden within at extra labor cost while both are hidden in metal stud construction at no extra cost + its easy to insulate the structure. Good luck.

Maybe a better technique in the north where earthquakes are more common, but masonry stands up well to the chubascos. Styrofoam composite has the benefits of both--fast installation, concrete mesh infrastructure, yet more flexible than standard concrete block. And the amazing high R-value.

drzura - 8-15-2011 at 09:53 AM

40 grand??? :O That sucks.. I was hoping to get something built for around 20 grand or so.

bajaguy - 8-15-2011 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drzura
40 grand??? :O That sucks.. I was hoping to get something built for around 20 grand or so.

Move a 24 foot travel trailer down and build around it.....look around the campos, you will get plenty of ideas :lol:

tiotomasbcs - 8-15-2011 at 01:20 PM

Bajaguy is right. Old School-Old Baja style. Trailer w/small bodega block storeroom w/bano. After you win the Lottery you can yank out the trailer and build your home. The cost of materials has really gone up . Around the Bays in Mulege you can still see a few Trailer-Homes. Tio

durrelllrobert - 8-15-2011 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
robert robert robert...you aint in kansas anymore

he SAID san lucas cove not punta banta...

40 grand completed

I was only comparing the material cost for the exterior walls only; not the whole job. 84 metal studs and 28 sheets of yellow board easily fit in a pickup bed and can be purchased up here in "Kansas" if not available down south.

[Edited on 8-15-2011 by durrelllrobert]

durrelllrobert - 8-15-2011 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

exterior walls only require 1000 blocks and 2 masons can certainly lay 1 blocks/minute hence it is a 2 day job.

msteve1014 - 8-15-2011 at 04:34 PM

He wants interior walls too. Two bedrooms, a bath, a kitchen, floors........ You are asking about a house, not a shed. The $40,000 sounds right if you do not need tile or cabinets or windows or doors. Sorry.:rolleyes:

DENNIS - 8-15-2011 at 05:09 PM

It just goes to show you how the price falls if you can do the work yourself.
Probably you can't, but I'd buy my first hammer and practice.
Good luck, Damion.

Bob and Susan - 8-15-2011 at 05:12 PM

block goes up fast...yes...

but under-estimating is why you see so many unfinished buildings in baja

block needs castillos and rebar
this is the structure

foam does insulate but it spider cracks

i think you should first do a spreadsheet
go to home depot and pricee stuff

then add it to the spreadsheet

remember if you bring in construction material you need to import it
figure 20% extra

price windows
doors
sinks
plumbing
fittings
copper
pressure pumps
piping
water tanks
septic stuff $$$
electrical stuff
wire $$$
lights
water heaters
cabinets kitchen and bath
sinks
then tile
and cement
maybe a retro (backhoe)
fill dirt
etc

block is NOT laid one a minute here
it could...but its not

remember permits
and enviormental permits

it all adds up

then

labor...
social security payments medical
etc etc

good luck

but $40K for your small house is a deal

drarroyo - 8-15-2011 at 05:18 PM

Isn't Bob & Susan suggesting an approx $54 sq/foot 'complete' cost estimation?

Sound like an accurate DEAL to me!!

woody with a view - 8-15-2011 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

exterior walls only require 1000 blocks and 2 masons can certainly lay 1 blocks/minute hence it is a 2 day job.

yeah, but 40 g's?

drarroyo - 8-15-2011 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
[
yeah, but 40 g's?

So you're saying $54 sq/foot for COMPLETE is unreasonable?
I'm going to guess you've never built.

woody with a view - 8-15-2011 at 07:02 PM

let's say $1.50/block times 1000 = $1500. you're gonna tell me it's $38.5 g's to lay 1000 block (per the quote above).

yeah, i am missing something. should i re-read the entire post?

oladulce - 8-15-2011 at 07:05 PM

Here's what I've seen happen many times around here (and From previous personal experience):

A person has sticker shock when they're told about building costs so they opt for the trailer.
They invest in A decent size but not brand new trailer= $12,000-15,000.
Build a concrete pad, maybe a few walls and a Palapa= $15,000.
Septic system, tinaco for water storage and a couple of solar panels and batteries $3000-4000 +.
They realize they need a bodega for storage= $8,000-10,000.
They get tired of bumping their elbows while showering and they build a little bathroom/shower= $5000-10,000.

Now they've invested close to $50,000 in the 20 year trailer and the water pump goes out, the fridge stops working and they've replaced the water heater for the 3rd time and they still have a 20 year old trailer...

As the assistant financial officer of a casa currently under construction, I'd say Bob's figure is little lower than I would have estimated. Sand and gravel and water deliveries to the jobsite? Storage for your block and bags of cement during construction? Transportation of your materials? These are examples of the "extras" that add to you labor and materials estimates. The cost of Social Security for the workers will really surprise you. As Bob mentioned, tack on $10,000-12,000 for an Environmental Impact Study depending on your location.

But when you're finally finished, you've got a casa.

msteve1014 - 8-15-2011 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
let's say $1.50/block times 1000 = $1500. you're gonna tell me it's $38.5 g's to lay 1000 block (per the quote above).

You seem to be missing that he wants more than a shell, with no roof or floor.

drarroyo - 8-15-2011 at 08:43 PM

Quote:

as you state in your sig... it MUST be great livin' in your own world! :lol:

Oddjob - 8-15-2011 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drarroyo
Quote:

as you state in your sig... it MUST be great livin' in your own world! :lol:

drf, your world is beyond most folks comprehension.

drarroyo - 8-15-2011 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddjob

drf, your world is beyond most folks comprehension.

Oddjob (Baja1943) while I'm honored to be on your 'hit list', the discussion is percieved building costs. Got any experience?
(see you in Off-Topic. Show some class)

Mexitron - 8-15-2011 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Here's what I've seen happen many times around here (and From previous personal experience):

A person has sticker shock when they're told about building costs so they opt for the trailer.
Septic system, tinaco for water storage and a couple of solar panels and batteries $3000-4000 +.
They get tired of bumping their elbows while showering and they build a little bathroom/shower= $5000-10,000.

Now they've invested close to $50,000 in the 20 year trailer and the water pump goes out, the fridge stops working and they've replaced the water heater for the 3rd time and they still have a 20 year old trailer...

As the assistant financial officer of a casa currently under construction, I'd say Bob's figure is little lower than I would have estimated. Sand and gravel and water deliveries to the jobsite? Storage for your block and bags of cement during construction? Transportation of your materials? These are examples of the "extras" that add to you labor and materials estimates. The cost of Social Security for the workers will really surprise you. As Bob mentioned, tack on $10,000-12,000 for an Environmental Impact Study depending on your location.

$10,000-12,000 for an Environmental Impact Study...really? Tell me that's pesos please....!

woody with a view - 8-16-2011 at 05:44 AM

no kidding....:O i still can't believe it!

CortezBlue - 8-17-2011 at 08:50 AM

ALso, don't use copper and that will save a bundle.

While your in Kansas, get PEX tubing, fittings and the tool. Or use CPVC, for your wather.

X2

bajaguy - 8-17-2011 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
ALso, don't use copper and that will save a bundle.

While your in Kansas, get PEX tubing, fittings and the tool. Or use CPVC, for your wather.

I second the use of PEX and PEX fittings, no solder, no glue. Just snaps together. Get a few rolls of 3/4" and do the plumbing by yourself. You can get creative and use blue for cold water and red for hot water. It will save you a ton of $$$ doing the plumbing yourself...........another suggestion: If at all possible NEVER run any plumbing (supply or drain/waste) under a concrete slab!!!

willyAirstream - 8-17-2011 at 11:44 AM

Here is a name of a local contractor, maybe he can help. I know nothing about him, only meet him for 2 minutes and he gave me his card.

Juan Antonio Lopez
615 159 8714
San Bruno

drzura - 8-20-2011 at 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone. I already have a trailer under the palapa. My wooden shed for storage is eaten up by the termites. So I figured that I would replace the shed with a concrete structure that I would also able to stay in when down there. But seeing that the price is going to be a little more than I envisioned, maybe I will see about having two steel shipping containers brought in and used for storage. Maybe I can get two 40 foot shipping containers in La Paz or Ensenada and transported down?

tiotomasbcs - 8-20-2011 at 12:23 PM

Loretenos, are you/we able to get cargo-shipping containers there? It was talked about on Nomads prolly a year ago. Maybe in Puerto San Carlos! Imagine what you could do with an acetyline torch?! Casa Cargo. Anyone? Gracias. Tio

DENNIS - 8-20-2011 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Casa Cargo.

Casa Convection Oven...maybe.

drzura - 8-20-2011 at 01:01 PM

I would not live in the shipping containers.... just use them for storage etc.. Living in a shipping container down in San Lucas during the summer would be nuts....

thinking in- 'n out- side the (shipping container) box...

Mulegena - 8-20-2011 at 01:26 PM

http://inhabitat.com/containers-of-hope-cool-costa-rican-shi...

http://inhabitat.com/sunset-idea-house-hybrid-architectures-...

http://inhabitat.com/mattel-designer-builds-gorgeous-turquoi...

drarroyo - 8-20-2011 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Casa Cargo.

Casa Convection Oven...maybe.

even for just storage, even under an expensive palapa cover ... Dennis is exactly right. Your chit will melt.
Without the living component ... your concrete storage structure could be done way cheap.

[Edited on 8-20-2011 by drarroyo]

tiotomasbcs - 8-20-2011 at 03:20 PM

Industrial grade insulation would still not overcome summers in San Bruno? Thanks Mulegena, I loved those cc's--container casas. Could you bury them in the ground? SW Indians & early settlers evolved different styles of living quarters dealing with heat & bad weather. You're right--block but it retains heat, too. Willy & I met that builder--give him call. Good luck. Tio

Bob and Susan - 8-20-2011 at 06:22 PM

last summer i was inside a couple of containers in mulege

they are actually cooler than you think

these were shipped from longbeach CA and ran about $3500 DELIVERED

i would think these would be a great house idea

BajaGringo - 8-20-2011 at 07:08 PM

tiotomasbcs - 8-20-2011 at 07:14 PM

You go, Gringo! Tio

drarroyo - 8-20-2011 at 08:23 PM

Quote:

Yea!! where are all the first hand accounts of how wonderful these steel boxes are in the baja sun? :lol::lol:
I see them everywhere :lol:

drzura - 8-28-2011 at 08:34 AM

Quote:

these were shipped from longbeach CA and ran about $3500 DELIVERED

i would think these would be a great house idea

Hello. Do you have/can get the contact information of the company where these containers can be purchased and shipped?

willyAirstream - 8-28-2011 at 08:55 AM

google "used cargo containers san diego" you will find tons. FWIW last year in western colorado a 40' was $2200 and a 20' was $1800. Containers are sold as surplus and also they may be sold as they no longer meet a ships requirements. they leak/ Inspect carefully before buying. Surplus is obviously better.
Will trade design ideas for Pacifico :)

DENNIS - 8-28-2011 at 08:57 AM

I guess there are so many of them floating around in the oceans that they're a hazard to navigation.

willyAirstream - 8-28-2011 at 09:26 AM

because of the trade imbalance, it's sometimes more economical for shippers to sell used containers here than ship them back to China empty

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/article/On-Architecture-Transfor...

http://dornob.com/diy-used-cargo-homes-shipping-container-ho...

http://www.containeralliance.com/buyers-guide.php

capt. mike - 8-28-2011 at 10:16 AM

simple - cover walls in 4" to 6" of EPS foam [like used in stucco as 1" backer]. The same material is used in refer cargo trailers hauling frozen or cold stored foods in semi set ups - we used to get them and convert to job trailer offices in AZ - 3" of foam std in the wall skins behind the metal skins.

then coat with std brown and a finish in white or spray it white.

find a foam applicator for the roof or if that is not avail use mobile home sno coat and shade it best you can.

there is a lot to say about "outsulation" in building processes or conversions.

classicbajabronco - 8-28-2011 at 12:38 PM

Quote:

Just the small things like...

labor
social security
backhoe
cement
gravel
sand
water
rebar
plumbing
plumbing fixtures(showers, sinks, toilets, pumps/tanks...ect)
wiring
electrical fixtures( lights, breaker boxes...ect)
tile
cabinets
doors
windows
roof sealer
propane tanks
forming wood
concrete sealer
paint
enviromental study
blueprints
permits
....etc.:lol:

[Edited on 8-28-2011 by classicbajabronco]

drzura - 8-28-2011 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
google "used cargo containers san diego" you will find tons. FWIW last year in western colorado a 40' was $2200 and a 20' was $1800. Containers are sold as surplus and also they may be sold as they no longer meet a ships requirements. they leak/ Inspect carefully before buying. Surplus is obviously better.
Will trade design ideas for Pacifico :)

The problem that I will have is transporting the shipping container down to San Lucas Cove. I will have to buy it from a place where they can also deliver it. So I am hoping that maybe La Paz or Ensenada.......

DENNIS - 8-28-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drzura
The problem that I will have is transporting the shipping container down to San Lucas Cove. I will have to buy it from a place where they can also deliver it. So I am hoping that maybe La Paz or Ensenada.......

It seems it would be a waste if you had to ship it empty. Load it with imported freight and you may get that container for nothing.....or less.

willyAirstream - 8-28-2011 at 05:15 PM

I'm sure you could buy it in SD and have a transport MX/AMER company deliver it. Or buy it (or them) in usa and have the interior built there, then ship and live. Plug and play. Not only Think outside the box, Live in the box!

Or buy a container full of the latest widgets from China and take delivery in GN ;)

Pescador - 10-5-2011 at 02:40 PM

Because you live in San Lucas, you have no environmental study to do so that can be thrown out right away. I put up a 1000 ft garage for a whole lot less money and did a two story addition that is 16 x 32 and I don't think I will have quite 30k in the two story even though I have a full bath, storage closet, and mini-split a/c.
So if you want to draw up some plans I have a guy who is my favorite contractor here in San Bruno and I could get you an estimate. The best building materials, in my opinion, are the ones that evolved over time and used by the locals. Steel studs with drywall are a total disaster in this type of climate with the heat and humidity. Wood use should be kept to a minimum since it is such good bait for the termites. For your use, you could certainly get by with a stringer down the middle and two by six rafters, which are treated with diesel fuel and tar to repel the termites.

J.P. - 10-5-2011 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
I'm sure you could buy it in SD and have a transport MX/AMER company deliver it. Or buy it (or them) in usa and have the interior built there, then ship and live. Plug and play. Not only Think outside the box, Live in the box!

Or buy a container full of the latest widgets from China and take delivery in GN ;)

They buit a complete Hospital complete with room furnishings on the Dock's in Houston Texas and shipped it to Saudi.

mtgoat666 - 10-5-2011 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce

...in the current buyers market, seems easier and cheaper to buy a resale house than to build new.

fishbuck - 3-20-2018 at 12:50 PM

He is an old gem I ran across doing research.
Whatever happened? Did a house get built.
I am trying to determine the cost of my 1st structure. It will be in essence a studio/1br apartment size.
Later to become a guest house if I get that far.
Maybe 500 sqft.
A bedrroom area/a kitchenette, 1 bathroom with but no tube just shower. So 1/2 bath I guess they call it.
The pool, shauna, jacuzzi, massage studio, etc. all come later so just the basics.
I'm trying to decide whether to use a chunk of 401k money when I rurn 59.5 or try and due it with monthly payments over time.
I guess I can afford about $1000/ month construction cost.
And I am in no real hurry now.
But I would love it if it was done today;):coolup:

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by fishbuck]

chuckie - 3-20-2018 at 01:02 PM

GEEZ! Will this never end?

bledito - 3-21-2018 at 03:22 AM

it will cost as much as your contractor can squeeze out of you.

chuckie - 3-21-2018 at 06:38 AM

This thread is SEVEN years old..

Paco Facullo - 3-21-2018 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
This thread is SEVEN years old..
NOT anymore ! Unfortunately ...

Although it would be interesting to find out the the final outcome of something like this ?

Far too often someone will post questions , such as this, and will never post again. Makes one wonder what they did with all the good (and possibly bad) advice ?

[Edited on 3-21-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Cancamo - 3-21-2018 at 11:18 AM

Was just quoted 3000 pesos per square meter, labor only, obra negra, (rough construction, no finishes or windows, doors, electrical, plumbing) two story block construction. I'd a bit more than double that to include materials and if you are able and willing do the rest yourself or sub it out.
People pay way too much to involve an "architect", whom generally doubles the overall cost. Open an account at building supply, have deliveries included, pay the social security and permit yourself. Using this method you can build, (using humble finishes), for $50/$60/ square foot.

fishbuck - 3-21-2018 at 11:52 AM

Nice. Good info.
By that calculation even a 500 sq ft casita is $25000-30000.
I hope I can do it cheaper.
But now I have a realistic number to work with.
Thanks.

John Harper - 3-21-2018 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Nice. Good info.
Thanks.

That squares with $40K for 750 square feet as well.

John

fishbuck - 3-21-2018 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Nice. Good info.
Thanks.

That squares with $40K for 750 square feet as well.

John

Ok thanks. I need to figure a way to save all the info people send me.
I know I have duplicated my questions a few times.
But now I have two verifiable building estimates that match.
I'm getting smarter!

bajafreaks - 3-22-2018 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
Was just quoted 3000 pesos per square meter, labor only, obra negra, (rough construction, no finishes or windows, doors, electrical, plumbing) two story block construction. I'd a bit more than double that to include materials and if you are able and willing do the rest yourself or sub it out.
People pay way too much to involve an "architect", whom generally doubles the overall cost. Open an account at building supply, have deliveries included, pay the social security and permit yourself. Using this method you can build, (using humble finishes), for $50/$60/ square foot.

What part of Baja were you quoted this price...just curious.

volcano - 3-23-2018 at 07:10 AM

I got multiple bids on a 2 story addition that is approximately 10 feet by 12 ft, solid roof, no plumbing, no tile, and we will paint it....bids ran from $17,000 to $23,000...so $40,000 might be ballpark

chuckie - 3-23-2018 at 07:32 AM

These kind if costs make Udo's place a no brainer bargain...

fishbuck - 3-23-2018 at 11:57 AM

No doubt. Wish I had the pesos. That place would make an awesome Campo Fishbuck Sur.

chuckie - 3-23-2018 at 01:03 PM

Sometimes ya gotta make tough choices....Super tricked out 1 ton Ford, Airplane, Sea Kayaks, Fat tired beach cruiser, all the SOTA electronics....100/month house...life is hard, man...

Paco Facullo - 3-23-2018 at 01:15 PM

Does the phrase " all over the map" ring a bell ????

chuckie - 3-23-2018 at 02:39 PM

DING/DONG!

fishbuck - 3-24-2018 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Sometimes ya gotta make tough choices....Super tricked out 1 ton Ford, Airplane, Sea Kayaks, Fat tired beach cruiser, all the SOTA electronics....100/month house...life is hard, man...

Soo true.

fishbuck - 3-24-2018 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Did you check with DavidK about this? He is the map expert here.

But yes that is my exact plan. To be " all over the map" of Baja.

chuckie - 3-24-2018 at 01:31 PM

This keeps getting weirder....WHY THEN, do you keep going on about buying/building a shack?

mtgoat666 - 3-24-2018 at 01:45 PM

I already told you what to do: don’t build a shack — buy An rv or trailer, stay mobile

fishbuck - 3-24-2018 at 01:56 PM

I thought you said you reread all my stuff in my other thread.

San Quintin is my home/basecamp. I bought lots their 15 years ago. My crazy Baja dream is now going into the reality phase as I retire from a 40 year career as an Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector for the Boeing company, McDonnel Douglas, Rockwell International, North American Aircraft, Northrup Grumman and the United States Air Force.
I have a private runway, a private boat ramp with Pacific Ocean access. I have a big a$$ truck. I had a cool boat but it got stolen. I'll get another, better one soon. I'm saving my pennies for a Piper 140 for flying around.
San Quintin is also the perfect place for driving south.
The fishing in San Quintin is as good and in some cases better than anyplace in Baja.
The weather in Summer is San Diego plus. Very temporate year round.
So, I will rent a small house in town for $100/month and start my Casita.
I should still have time and money to get "all over the map".
;)

fishbuck - 3-24-2018 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I already told you what to do: don’t build a shack — buy An rv or trailer, stay mobile

I'm doing that too.

Cancamo - 3-26-2018 at 01:42 PM

What part of Baja were you quoted this price...just curious.

BCS, these guys were Pacenos.

fishbuck - 3-26-2018 at 02:00 PM

The obvious question is " do construction costs vary by Baja region?"
The obvious answer is yes.
My guess. Cheaper to north. More expensive to south.
Anybody know if this is true?
So standard estimate with current anecdotal information is US$50-60/sqft.
I believe that is with rough finish.
Fine finish is always more.
I'm planning to finish my casita in "fishcamp bachelor" style.
That's 1 notch above "jail cell".
I'll replace stainless bathroom fixtures with porceline. And a real bed instead of a "rack".
That's all I need to live large.

And maybe sprice it up over time.

[Edited on 3-26-2018 by fishbuck]

Cancamo - 3-26-2018 at 02:34 PM

volcano]I got multiple bids on a 2 story addition that is approximately 10 feet by 12 ft, solid roof, no plumbing, no tile, and we will paint it....bids ran from $17,000 to $23,000...so $40,000 might be ballpark

Obra nega, mano de obra ,14 sq. mtrs. x 2 stories = 28 sq. mtrs. x 3000 pesos =84,000 pesos, divided by 18.5 =$4540. Double that for materials = $9081, plus 10%, $10,000 is more like it. Ouch.

Cancamo - 3-26-2018 at 02:50 PM

Saldo semanal, weekly salary; Monday through Saturday 10 hour days, half day Saturday is normal;
Maestro/ Journeyman, lead albanil, reads plans, orders materials,
runs the job and works......3000 to 3500 pesos a week
Albanil/ Skilled mason, lays block, builds forms, ties steel...2500-3000 week.
Peon/ Laborer, mixes cement, hauls materials, runs a shovel, pick, ties steel....1800-2200 a week.
One maestro, 2/3 albaniles, 1/2 peons, crew of four to six on a normal 2,3 bdrm 1,2 bath house
Construction labor in this country is super reasonable and nowhere near the costs of NOB.
Materials are always rising in cost, wages aren't. Sound familiar?

fishbuck - 3-26-2018 at 02:56 PM

Ok. You "tower of babeled" me here.
So my belief is that the current average rough finish cost is $(US)50-60/SQUARE FOOT.

If you speak in "Peso" and "metric" it is the standard problem.

Can we please establish 1 system of measurement for discussion purposes.

I understand feet and dollars.

But I can convert to metric and pesos if necessary.
I guess we can do both.

Current echange rate= 1 USD = 18.329401 MXN
Mar 26, 2018 21:46 UTC

1 Square Foot = 0.093 Square Meter

1 Square Meter = 10.764 Square Feet

Can somebody do the math for me.
I'm retired;)

volcano - 3-27-2018 at 06:37 AM

It was explained to me ..that small size in a very remote location was bid higher per sq meter than a large build in same location because of the difficulty and extra costs of getting materails and equipment way out there. So yes, location and size do make a difference. For instance, a large build in an easy location would be bid at a lower price per sq m.

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 11:40 AM

That makes sence. It costs as much to carry 1 block in your truck as it does a full load.
Fixed price.
Fuel=$20 x 1 block=$20 per block.
Fuel=$20 x 100 blocks=.20c per block

Cielomar - 3-28-2018 at 12:25 PM

I just received two bids to build a large block garage (~900 SQF) Pescadero area. Low bid which included garage doors, windows, electrical and very basic plumbing was $33k. So I think the $40k estimate for a 750 sqf is good if just a bit low. I would use $60/sqf as a good finished cost for something super simple

BajaTed - 3-28-2018 at 02:53 PM

From 10,000 ft;
Your going to find out that, in most cases where you want to build there are ALREADY established builders who get most of the market. Only savings ever is if you bring in a new guy who wants to get established in the area. Be prepared though to be the project and security manager and you might get through it. If he gets through it and does a good job, you'll be a part of that guys family. Been there 1985

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 07:12 PM

True. I have met a builder there already. It was a while back. The house he built is very nice, very big, a tad unusual, and completely abandoned
The work was nice though...
So yes, I need to get feet on the ground and birddog a some builders.
It's harder than you think.
There ain't no yellow pages...

[Edited on 3-29-2018 by fishbuck]

[Edited on 3-29-2018 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 07:14 PM

And I tried to get references too... but they don't want to be held liable for incase the work is bad... so they don't give em.

woody with a view - 3-28-2018 at 07:39 PM

Everyone knows the local guy who is worth a shlt. He costs more than everyone else.

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Everyone knows the local guy who is worth a shlt. He costs more than everyone else.

Woody always has a way of making things easier!
Thanks Woody

drzura - 4-17-2018 at 07:36 PM

Roughly a 600 square foot garage was built. It's hard to say how much we spent, but it was not too much because a friends relative built it for us. The construction was cinder block with concrete floors and a metal corrugated roof. The doors were custom made, but nothing special. I know I am going to butcher this word, but the "caleche" was a pain in the ass to remove; an air-powered jack hammer was rented and used to remove enough of it so the concrete footer could be poured. There is no power run to the garage.. that will be coming in the near future.

He is an old gem I ran across doing research.
Whatever happened? Did a house get built.
I am trying to determine the cost of my 1st structure. It will be in essence a studio/1br apartment size.
Later to become a guest house if I get that far.
Maybe 500 sqft.
A bedrroom area/a kitchenette, 1 bathroom with but no tube just shower. So 1/2 bath I guess they call it.
The pool, shauna, jacuzzi, massage studio, etc. all come later so just the basics.
I'm trying to decide whether to use a chunk of 401k money when I rurn 59.5 or try and due it with monthly payments over time.
I guess I can afford about $1000/ month construction cost.
And I am in no real hurry now.
But I would love it if it was done today;):coolup:

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 4-18-2018 at 07:36 PM

Cool. Thanks for the update.
I am in the construction biz now... well sorta.
I am using my F-350 to deliver paving stones to job sites. I have a utility trailer that will hold 1 pallet too.
I'm am trying to pick up all I can about house building and stuff.
I was working in Mission Viejo yesterday. It is the land from the last working ranch in Orange county and that went all the way back to mission days.
So pretty there and I never new there were so many rich people.
Pretty houses...
I gotta get me a piece of the action. There's gold in them there hills...
Because Baja may be a cheap place to live... but it ain't free...
:cool:

drzura - 4-24-2021 at 10:48 AM

I ended up working for two additional years but I think we are pretty close on pulling the trigger on going down to San Lucas this November full time. Time to start thinking if we also want to build a small casita or possibly fix up the palapa and put in a newer trailer on the property. There are quite of improvements that need to be done in regards to the property that will keep us busy. During the summers when hot and humid in San Lucas, we'll definitely plan on heading over to the pacific side somewhere to rent for about 4 months. Lots to consider but it will be an awesome adventure.

Please feel free to provide any comments or suggestions. Muchas gracias....

RFClark - 4-24-2021 at 03:04 PM

You might consider a shipping container house. A 40’ container 320 sq ft should cost around $4000 delivered.

This 2X20’ Container home can be found on Google Maps near Cerritos Beach Baja Sur

4ABDAF43-8772-4EEA-B574-507063439EC7.jpeg - 341kB

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by RFClark]

drzura - 4-25-2021 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for the input RFClark. Those are some pretty cool pictures. We did consider using shipping containers for the garage/storage, but after investigating the cost of the container, the delivery etc. we opted to have a cinder block structure constructed. I imagine that a good amount of insulation would have to be installed because the inside of a shipping container on the SOC side would be hot as hell during the summer. Thanks again.... :D

RFClark - 4-25-2021 at 11:39 AM

We’re probably doing a container house not too far from the one pictured. I think it’s faster to build than block and more earthquake and hurricane resistant. Especially since it’s planned to be 2 stories.

Insulating containers is straight forward. They can either spray foam or you can buy sheets that match the wall shape. You just drywall over the Insulation. You paint the roof and as much outside as possible with the very white roof paint which keeps the container much cooler to start with. Containers are easer to mount solar panels on as well because of the existing steel framework and attach points.

We’ll post progress pictures as we go forward. There are several other container houses in the area.

Chup - 4-26-2021 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
We’re probably doing a container house not too far from the one pictured. I think it’s faster to build than block and more earthquake and hurricane resistant. Especially since it’s planned to be 2 stories.

Insulating containers is straight forward. They can either spray foam or you can buy sheets that match the wall shape. You just drywall over the Insulation. You paint the roof and as much outside as possible with the very white roof paint which keeps the container much cooler to start with. Containers are easer to mount solar panels on as well because of the existing steel framework and attach points.

We’ll post progress pictures as we go forward. There are several other container houses in the area.

Please do...A container home in Baja has been floating around my slow brain for few years now. I'd really be interested in your progress

Cheers

vandy - 4-27-2021 at 04:59 AM

One money-saving method of putting up an inexpensive structure in Baja involves salvaging/buying/scrounging windows, doors, plumbing fixtures, electrical fixtures, rebar and roofing materials NoB.

The house is then designed around these things.

And for gods sake find a decent source of block. It should be impossible to tunnel through it with your car key.

A guy I know built two houses this way near Santiago. He bought a flatbed trailer and just piled stuff on, slapped a simple 2x4 and plywood frame around all his stuff, screwed a blue tarp tightly over everything and hauled it down.

He helped build and supervised and was on-hand to make decisions and pay costs.

The house goes up quickly this way, too.

I'll just assume you know where to get a concrete mixer or a truck delivery for slabs. And know how to find-hire-pay workers property. And where to file plans. And check building codes.
And cross the border with used items.

BajaTed - 4-27-2021 at 06:30 AM

Lumber prices are through the ceiling. Makes you think of a different type of roof construction and material to use.

AKgringo - 4-27-2021 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Lumber prices are through the ceiling. Makes you think of a different type of roof construction and material to use.

At the same time, timber prices are in the toilet! I have been clearing bug killed, and fire hazard trees from my property, and I had to look long and hard for a truck that would not charge me to haul them away.

There used to be a half dozen or so sawmills in this area, but now they get trucked to the valley for processing, or shipping over seas. Even with healthy pine trees, or more desirable species like cedar and fir, it would be hard to recover the cost of harvesting them!

RFClark - 4-27-2021 at 09:32 AM

AK,

Why don't you buy a portable sawmill for a couple thousand and sell the wood locally?

advrider - 4-27-2021 at 09:46 AM

The problem with a sawmill is that is just the start. You need equipment to move and stack the trees/lumber, a place to store and dry the wood. Probably going to need some help and insurance to cover them, that's just the start.
I have a few friends that do it for fun and to make cool wood for projects but it is very time consuming but might become more popular with the current wood prices?

AKgringo - 4-27-2021 at 06:38 PM

The main reason for not buying a mill, is I'm 74, and don't want to work that hard anymore!

I found a guy (also from Alaska) that has a mill, and a skid steer loader. I have D-6 Cat for the bigger stuff, so we are working together. It is sad to see the old trees die off, some of them are 30 to 40 inches in diameter, and are about 100 years old!

[Edited on 4-28-2021 by AKgringo]

pacificobob - 4-28-2021 at 08:00 AM

the reason for your low log prices is likely the size. most mills are now set up for smaller stock.
i have friends in western Oregon who are getting all time record high prices for logs.

Pages:  1