BajaNomad

Mexico Watercraft Liability Insurance

BajaGeoff - 8-24-2011 at 02:48 PM

We are now offering Mexico Watercraft Liability Insurance on the Baja Bound Insurance website. It is the same easy process as the auto....buy and print out the policy right from your computer!

Start A Watercraft Liability Quote

¡Viva Baja!

CortezBlue - 8-24-2011 at 05:13 PM

Taint Cheap!!
WOW

ncampion - 8-24-2011 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Taint Cheap!!
WOW

Agree!!!! just bought mine at about 30% less from another company, also on-line, print the policy.

RnR - 8-25-2011 at 07:56 AM

So, why do I need this insurance??

It doesn't cover anything that happens in MY boat, (including to fishing buddys). It only covers liabilities caused by my boat to OTHER boats or things, and only while on the water. So, basically, I would probably have to hit something else with my boat to incur a liability and be covered by the policy.

I ran a quote for my boat just for fun to see the cost. $180 USD for the standard annual policy and $228 USD for higher coverage limits.

BTW, these quotes were for a 14 ft aluminum "tin" boat!

So, I think I'll stay a little more alert as a captain and try not run into other boats/things while on the water. Of course, if I use the $200 to buy Pacifico this may require extra vigilance.

To each his own!

[Edited on 8-25-2011 by RnR]

Lobsterman - 8-25-2011 at 12:48 PM

Yep that's the new Mexico that is trying so hard to get people back to visit their country. I and many others including San Diego party boats are being pulled over by the mexican Navy. They want passports, mexican fishing licenses and on-the-water liability insurance from a mexican insurance vendor. My BoatUS insurance for $1M is not good enough. Fortunately they let me go with a warning this time.

Up until recently you only needed a mexican fishing license and USA drivers license. I refuse to get mexican liability insurance so not only will I no longer drive by car into mexico but i will no longer motor my boat to Ensenda to stay at the Corral Motel any more as well. Guess I'll just have to spend all my $ in the USA. Shucks.

Talk about shooting the golden goose in the back while it is down. Mexican laws are its worst enemy.

BajaGeoff - 8-29-2011 at 09:42 AM

The watercraft liability is required by law in order to enter and dock at any port/marina in Mexico. This is not a new law either...been this way for a long time.

"Cheap" insurance is exactly that....you get what you pay for.

ncampion - 8-29-2011 at 10:48 AM

I was refused the use of the launch ramp at Puerto Escondito a few weeks ago because I did not have a Temporary Import Permit and Mexican Liability Ins. It's getting hard to have fun here anymore.