BajaNomad

The best time to cross at Tecate on a Saturday going North

tommix130 - 9-3-2011 at 12:06 PM

I am headed down to San Quintin for my annual fishing trip in a couple of weeks. We cross at Tecate early in the morning going down so it is no problem but coming back across the wait has been getting longer and longer. We usually cross back over around noon on a Saturday, any suggestions, earlier, later??

Thanks

DENNIS - 9-3-2011 at 12:41 PM

The earlier the better on the weekends since work traffic is less on Saturday and almost non-existant on Sunday. They open at 5:00 AM.

The earlier the better

Dave - 9-3-2011 at 12:46 PM

I've been there at 7am on Saturday and been the only vehicle.

Weekenders tend to sleep in so plan accordingly.

tommix130 - 9-3-2011 at 03:21 PM

Thank-you for the input but after fishing and drinking in San Quintin for a week I don't think that we will be at the border at 7 AM. If El Cielito Lindo still makes kick ass margaritas we may not even make it BACK to the border.

ncampion - 9-3-2011 at 06:06 PM

Crossed today (Sat.) at about 1:30pm and wait was only about 15 - 20 minutes. When we drove up to the approach road, we thought something was wrong, couldn't see any cars anywhere!

oladulce - 9-4-2011 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Crossed today (Sat.) at about 1:30pm and wait was only about 15 - 20 minutes. When we drove up to the approach road, we thought something was wrong, couldn't see any cars anywhere!

ncampion, that must have been nerve wracking considering the previous drama you had at Tecate. "uh,oh... why is there nobody here?"

BTW, seems like you make a lot of trips back and forth and there's a vacancy without Costco-Larry in operation. How about "Trader Joe Campion" for a retirement business?

ncampion - 9-4-2011 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion

ncampion, that must have been nerve wracking considering the previous drama you had at Tecate. "uh,oh... why is there nobody here?"

BTW, seems like you make a lot of trips back and forth and there's a vacancy without Costco-Larry in operation. How about "Trader Joe Campion" for a retirement business?

That's exactly the feeling we had. Is Tecate closed on Sat?? Did they hear we were coming??? Let's drive back to Otay...
Actually it was great, this was only our second crossing at Tecate and now it is our only way. I even enjoy the drive through the mountains on the US side.

We have been traveling back about every 6 - 8 weeks this past six months, always to attend a wedding. Our kids and kids friends are all of the "getting married" age, so we have to be good friends/relatives and go. Of course we load up the car with "gooies" to bring back down. As we just moved in full time about a year ago, we still have lots of "things" we want to bring down.
BTW. no "retirement business" for me. I like retirement just the way it is, thank you.

d-train - 9-13-2011 at 09:48 PM

If you really wanted to obsess you could constantly check the border wait times site, copy a months worth of data into excel, graph it, and then post it here. I'm sure everyone would love it... Lots of discussions on border strategies here...

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/