BajaNomad

Maps of baja 4 driving - recommendations?

synch - 9-14-2004 at 01:33 PM

I'm planning a trip the full length of baja, from Ensenada to CSL and looking for suggestions on what/where to buy maps for general road travel. Some sightseeing off the beaten asphalt may be desired but generally just the noraml road stuff will do.

I saw Capt Mike had the GIANT MAPS available *click here* but these might be much nicer than the Rand-McNally I use (and trash) when driving in USA.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Mexitron - 9-14-2004 at 01:55 PM

Auto Club(AAA) has good maps of Baja...if you're a member they're free.

baja maps

jim janet - 9-14-2004 at 01:56 PM

the very best is from AAA or Caa

The Baja Almanac

Mike Humfreville - 9-14-2004 at 02:21 PM

The unchallenged best of all maps commonly available and packaged in large-format book form.

They're around $25/copy. You might check nomad's store, maybe they have them. If not:

http://www.baja-almanac.com/

Good luck.

clarification on maps

thebajarunner - 9-14-2004 at 05:59 PM

You asked about the best "driving map"
AAA map, no question.
The Baja Almanac that Mike mentions is awesome, wonderfully detailed, great for planning specific side trips, etc.
Best I have seen and I have collected Baja maps and books for 30+ years.
Well worth $25 if you are remotely serious about Baja....
but, for driving, the good old fold-out AAA is the best.

Baja Arriba!!

BajaNomad - 9-14-2004 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
You asked about the best "driving map"
AAA map, no question.
The Baja Almanac that Mike mentions is awesome, wonderfully detailed, great for planning specific side trips, etc.
Best I have seen and I have collected Baja maps and books for 30+ years.
Well worth $25 if you are remotely serious about Baja....
but, for driving, the good old fold-out AAA is the best.

Baja Arriba!!
I couldn't agree more.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

Markitos - 9-14-2004 at 09:02 PM

Baja Almanac gets my vote too!! Ours is shreaded but still in use. Get both the map and the Almanac, you dont relize how large an area is with just the almanac.

David K - 9-14-2004 at 11:16 PM

Yes, if you can get both then you will be 'complete'. The AAA Baja map can be ordered from http://www.mapworld.com (as can the Baja Almanac) or both from http://www.discoverbaja.com that is if you are not an AAA member.

The AAA map has all milages and shows gas station locations (remember to top off at Baja Cactus Pemex in El Rosario) as the next 'Pemex' station is 200 miles away.

The Baja Almanac is a color topographic road and trail map book and is great for off highway exploring or to see what is beyond the line of sight. The Almanac people also have a color folding map. Mike gave the web site link above.

I would recommend the AAA Baja Guidebook also.. it has been recently updated and enlarged and is quite good.

I agree

bajalou - 9-15-2004 at 03:21 PM

with most of you on the AAA and the Baja Almanac - One thing to remember while driving in baja outside of the cities "NEVER pas a Pemex without topping off the tank" Sometimes that "next Pemex just down the road" is out of gas - occasionally for a couple days.

Have a great trip thru this great country.

:biggrin:

Bob H - 9-16-2004 at 06:56 AM

For me, the best combination for your trip, especially if it's your first time doing this, is to get the AAA map and the guide book
"The Magnificent Peninsula: The Comprehensive Guidebook to Mexico's Baja California" by Jack Williams. This guide book references the AAA map and provides ideas for many side trips along the way. This guide book also provides a lot of other details about the entire Baja peninsula. Having the Baja Alamanc ain't so bad either.
Please post a trip report upon your return.
Bob H