BajaNomad

Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked

Pages:  1  ..  11    13  

Cypress - 10-1-2011 at 02:05 PM

The bottom line as I understand it is, Ron and Christine are on the road to recovery for both their physical and mental wounds. Nomads came together to help them financially and otherwise. They didn't solicit any funds( they were in intensive care). None of the nomads that were close to the situation(Serinita, Fernando) asked nor received any compensation for their time etc. assisting with the situation. Cut out all the drama! Be thankful they're getting better and that Serinita a Fernando were there to provide help.;)

BajaRat - 10-1-2011 at 03:34 PM

Ron and Cristina,
I hope your lives are mending, we were so worried.Ron the picture you woke up to was from my daughter, she wanted to leave an angel by your bed side. I must tell you that the living angeles that were by your side spent many sleepless days and nights leaving their lives behind dedicated to your care and recovery. We hope you and your family is well and look forward to returning to the ;peaceful life that brought us to san Quintin in the first place.
P.S. We love you guys.............
Fam van Gurp

BajaRat - 10-1-2011 at 03:39 PM

Oh by the way,
The living angels we saw by your bedside when we visited were Sirena, Fernando and his daughter.

XOXO

[Edited on 10-1-2011 by BajaRat]

Roberto - 10-1-2011 at 05:37 PM

You know what? I am sorry I brought this up. It was in no way aimed at Ron, it was rather an attempt to make the point that when you collect money in a public forum, you need to explain how and if the money reached the recipients. Pretty standard (I thought).

Ron, if you are reading this nothing but good wishes to you and yours. If you interpreted my question as having anything to do with you and how you and yours spent any money you may have received, I apologize. That is not what I intended.

As for the rest of you idiots who have the need to attack those who have a different perspective on things, nothin' but love for ya too! :-)

David K - 10-1-2011 at 05:55 PM

This public forum didn't collect money, people volunteered to help and used this forum only to find out where to send it. Discover Baja Travel Club was one point of collection. Yah, we are all idiots alright,,, nice comment Roberto.

24-Cooldown Period

bajamigo - 10-1-2011 at 05:56 PM

After over 1,200 posts on this topic, little has been resolved, but the rancor needlessly seems to grow. Why don't we all withhold all our posts on this thread until Monday morning; take Sunday off to review your thoughts and come back Monday with fresh ideas and new insights.

Just a suggestion.

sanquintinsince73 - 10-1-2011 at 07:10 PM

As I was exiting the 805 at Sweetwater just a while ago there was a gentleman at the bottom of the ramp holding up a cardboard sign that read: "Viet-nam Vet, any donation will help". As I always do with any veteran in need, I reached for my wallet and gave him a $20.
My 10 year-old lowered his rear window and slipped him a $5.

We compared Marine Corps tattoos for a few seconds and as I drove away this idiot thought of you, Roberto.

tripledigitken - 10-1-2011 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
As I was exiting the 805 at Sweetwater just a while ago there was a gentleman at the bottom of the ramp holding up a cardboard sign that read: "Viet-nam Vet, any donation will help". As I always do with any veteran in need, I reached for my wallet and gave him a $20.
My 10 year-old lowered his rear window and slipped him a $5......

Did he show you his DD214? I mean really, do you believe those signs?

Last pan handler that caught my eye was down by the airport. I swear this is true....................He only had one arm and the sign in his one remaining arm read, "can you give me a hand?"

Ken

JESSE - 10-1-2011 at 07:35 PM

This thread shows the best and the worst of some nomads.

comitan - 10-1-2011 at 07:35 PM

:biggrin::biggrin:

sanquintinsince73 - 10-1-2011 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
My 10 year-old lowered his rear window and slipped him a $5......

Did he show you his DD214? I mean really, do you believe those signs?

Last pan handler that caught my eye was down by the airport. I swear this is true....................He only had one arm and the sign in his one remaining arm read, "can you give me a hand?"

Ken

I believe him and I will give again and again. The one's I never give to are the religious one's at the border dressed like nurses. Now those are frauds.

Woooosh - 10-1-2011 at 07:37 PM

CRITIQUE THREAD OPEN IN OFF TOPIC:

"The BajaGringo Ron Hoff Emergency Episode: The Critique

The thread on the main board is going downhill fast, so here's the cliff. Jump. Get it all out in OT. Maybe we are all just too polite to say what is on our minds on the main board. So here you go. If no one feels compelled to post, that wold be just fine too.

Remember Folks: This is the dreaded, troll filled- Off Topic area. Read and post at your own peril. The main thread is far from dead, and we still have learning to do from this. It would be a shame to go through this fire drill and not wind up with some useful information for other Nomads. "

[Edited on 10-2-2011 by Woooosh]

tripledigitken - 10-1-2011 at 08:08 PM

SQ73,

You're a good man, thanks for your service.

Ken

Pescador - 10-2-2011 at 06:04 AM

There have been a number or people posting on this topic who are really mugwumps with their mug on one side of the border and their wump on the other. The hospital system in Mexico is clearly not the same system as the United States but cheaper. The idea that the Del Carmen was ripping people off is a real sign of disrespect and prejudice for the Mexican Hospital system. It is a private hospital system that makes sure they have the money up front. The fact that Ron came through this is due, in no small part, to the care and treatment that he received. Some people choose to live in Mexico because of economics but when things tighten up they run back across the border as quickly as possible. Ron had purchased what he considered a good insurance plan which either stands or does not stand on its own merits. So the idea that an accounting is even required or needed is in fact another reflection of that same lack of trust.

[Edited on 10-2-2011 by Pescador]

mcfez - 10-2-2011 at 06:07 AM

Many assuming fools here. Many.

All in good time...the facts will be in. Some of you need to just shut the hell up and relax.

Diver - 10-2-2011 at 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
It is really no one's business whether or not I chose to donate to the cause of helping Ron as a friend, but for sure if I chose to send money, when it left my hand that was the end of it and it is of no importance if his daughter spent it on a wild night on the town.

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
All in good time...the facts will be in. Some of you need to just shut the hell up and relax.

My thoughts EXACTLY !!!!
Thank you both.

BajaDove - 10-2-2011 at 06:49 AM

As soon as money rears its ugly head everything becomes about money
if you want to say where money goes take it in hand and put it there
The important thing is Ron and Christina are home and well.

sanquintinsince73 - 10-2-2011 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDove
As soon as money rears its ugly head everything becomes about money
if you want to say where money goes take it in hand and put it there
The important thing is Ron and Christina are home and well.

I agree with you, BajaDove.

http://youtu.be/JkhX5W7JoWI

ELINVESTIG8R - 10-2-2011 at 08:54 AM

This is awful!

windgrrl - 10-2-2011 at 09:19 AM

Here is a well known system of incident management. It requires organizational commitment, but would address much of the BN post incident critique issues. I have participated in activation and deactivation of this type of command structure. Like anything, its not perfect...but for those who have a deep need for leadership, emergent response, access to funds and others for fiscal control/reports and accountability, there is a part of the structure to address each issue and more. The other parts of the command structure allow for leadership and freeing up responders to do their good stuff. It's easy to learn, easy to set up and works because it is clear and straight forward.

If one looks back on this incident using the ICS framework, it is possible to see how many parts of the command would come into play. There are lots of agencies who offer training - a social group or community or big organization can use the structure and processes. Would help to avoid the emotional subjective mess and get the help where it is needed fast without judgement which no matter what a person thinks of another person, is the human thing to do. I don't think that there was any malicious intent in trying to help in this situation, however, when some folks want information for whatever reason and don't get it, they just fill in the information gaps with conjecture.

Alternatively, having a personal safety plan (e.g. subscription to private evacuation and/or SPOT) seem wise.

From Wikipedia:
The Incident Command System (ICS) is "a systematic tool used for the command, control, and coordination of emergency response" according to the United States Federal Highway Administration.[1] A more detailed definition of an ICS according to the United States Center for Excellence in Disaster Management & Humanitarian Assistance is "a set of personnel, policies, procedures, facilities, and equipment, integrated into a common organizational structure designed to improve emergency response operations of all types and complexities."[2] An ICS is based upon a flexible, scalable response organization providing a common framework within which people can work together effectively. These people may be drawn from multiple agencies that do not routinely work together, and ICS is designed to give standard response and operation procedures to reduce the problems and potential for miscommunication on such incidents. ICS has been summarized as a "first-on-scene" structure, where the first responder of a scene has charge of the scene until the incident has been declared resolved, a more qualified responder arrives on scene and receives command, or the Incident Commander appoints another individual Incident Commander.

For more info and an org. chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_command_system

Woooosh - 10-2-2011 at 09:30 AM

Thanks Windgirl- that's the line of thinking we need to establish a process.

With all the "editing" now taking place on this and the OT thread, it would seem there is no way to communicate this issue openly. And maybe I know the reason. BajaNomads is a pro-Baja travel board that embraces the spirit of Baja we all hold dear in our memories. Setting up a formal process to help each other in the future is admitting Baja is no longer safe and that Nomads will be attacked again. Many nomads own and promote tourist-dependent businesses, and those two concepts (the Baja Nomad Spirit and the attempted murder of two very pro-Baja Nomads) are not compatible on this board. Just a guess.

windgrrl - 10-2-2011 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

With all the censorship now taking place on this and the OT thread, it would seem there is no way to communicate this issue openly. And maybe I know the reason. BajaNomads is a pro-Baja travel board that embraces the spirit of Baja we all hold dear in our memories. Setting up a formal process to help each other in the future is admitting Baja is no longer safe and that Nomads will be attacked again. Many nomads own and promote tourist-dependent businesses, and those two concepts (the Baja Nomad Spirit and the attempted murder of two very pro-Baja Nomads) are not compatible on this board. Just a guess.

Nowhere is safe. Was Baja ever without risk? I will not live in fear as I go back south again this year. Risk, which is part of life, can be partly mitigated by being aware and being prepared. We are stronger together.

tripledigitken - 10-2-2011 at 09:48 AM

Baja has become much riskier with the spread of Meth use, IMO.

We still go, but it takes more preparation to do so.

Contact list forum topic

bajaguy - 10-2-2011 at 09:50 AM

Maybe BN Doug could establish a new forum topic titled "Contact info' where Nomads who are interested in helping others with travel; vehicle; medical; communications or other problems would post their location.

The topic could have seperate threads listed by location (city-town-area) with the Nomads in those areas just posting an "available" message...

Anyone needing assistance could then u2u the listed contact for assistance.....and both could agree to post or not post the problem on the general topic board.

This has worked in the past for travel assistance and vehicle problems, and has recently worked with Ron and Cristina.

Just my 2 cents

Woooosh - 10-2-2011 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl
Quote:

With all the censorship now taking place on this and the OT thread, it would seem there is no way to communicate this issue openly. And maybe I know the reason. BajaNomads is a pro-Baja travel board that embraces the spirit of Baja we all hold dear in our memories. Setting up a formal process to help each other in the future is admitting Baja is no longer safe and that Nomads will be attacked again. Many nomads own and promote tourist-dependent businesses, and those two concepts (the Baja Nomad Spirit and the attempted murder of two very pro-Baja Nomads) are not compatible on this board. Just a guess.

Nowhere is safe. Was Baja ever without risk? I will not live in fear as I go back south again this year. Risk, which is part of life, can be partly mitigated by being aware and being prepared. We are stronger together.

Baja was never without risk. We used to complain here about being shaken down for a $20 bribe once in a while and we'd all make a big deal about it for months. We all long for those good-ole-days again. I'm very comfortable in Baja and am within my safety and healthcare access comfort zones- but I didn't move to a remote area for exactly that reason. But Ron could not farm Abalone in Rosarito- he went where the adventure took him. It is sad that for all the work Ron has done promoting Baja and tourism- it would seem no individual or Mexican agency with any clout stepped up to help him. That is not encouraging. I managed to connect the family to the Baja Governor- but never heard if they offered help or not. We are on our own down here when it hits the fan- except for the help we can provide each other. We just need to do it better next time.

DENNIS - 10-2-2011 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
And maybe I know the reason. BajaNomads is a pro-Baja travel board that embraces the spirit of Baja we all hold dear in our memories. Setting up a formal process to help each other in the future is admitting Baja is no longer safe and that Nomads will be attacked again. Many nomads own and promote tourist-dependent businesses, and those two concepts (the Baja Nomad Spirit and the attempted murder of two very pro-Baja Nomads) are not compatible on this board. Just a guess.

Most respectfully disagree with you, Wooosh. Being a Baja dedicated board is certainly not about being unrealistic.......disingenuous or blind. In no way, ever, would the administrator of this board choose business interests over safety.
I do, however, believe he leans toward moderation over hyperbole....which is the usual direction these crime report and resolution threads will go.
Seems most threads here begin their life with a march toward death, but hang on dearly long after all pertinent info has been shared.

Still with you at all costs, Wooosh. :biggrin:

wessongroup - 10-2-2011 at 10:31 AM

Would think just about anything possible... given the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience and talent .... not even tossing in the overall good nature of folks .. here

Thanks for that perspective Woooosh and windgrrl ... ya guys rock... :):):)

SiReNiTa - 10-2-2011 at 10:33 AM

Ok....had to take several deep breaths and count to ten about 20 times after reading the pages of the thread that I had missed while dealing with life issues.

How to respond and not insult, hurt or offend others....I can't say I'll fully succeed but if in fact I do offend someone with what I'm posting please know that it is in NO way on purpose.

I understand why many of you want accounting, but seriously...did you take the time to read my post from a few days ago? I very openly said that accounting would be given, all you needed to do was give us some time! There were many receipts involved, many people involved and many many emotions, so it's only natural that in order to give full accountability there needs to be TIME!

At this time I will NOT be writing a detailed story, because in all honesty I think most anything said here is turned in to something else most of the time...I will say that those of us who were here did what we could to help, but in the end the decisions that were made were made by the family, which is exactly how it should be.
I know everyone cares for Ron and Cristina, and everyone has their own opinions of what would be better or worse for them, but it's just that...it's just YOUR opinions, and with all due respect the family did what they thought or knew was right for both Ron and Cristina at the time.

As for receipts, they will be scanned and posted just as the hospital wrote them, but this will take time, first of all because the people that have the receipts are the ones taking care of Ron, therefor scanning receipts is not their first priority and rightly so.
Also, Bajanomads were NOT the only people who gave money from their own pockets, which is why the receipts are spread out between a couple of different people, I will not say names because that's when everyone starts pointing fingers.

Tears are rolling down my face in frustration and anger that this thread, which is supposed to be for prayers and healing feelings (which are still very much needed) has turned in to a money debate.
It pains me to think of Ron and the fact that he will have to read all of this, because both him and Cristina and their families are going through such a difficult time, the healing does not end when you leave the hospital people!!

None of the people who were down here helping (as was said above) received monetary compensation nor did we ever even think of asking for it. The cell minutes that were sent were used only to make calls referring to the issues at hand, and if it's really that important I'll go buy some and send them back.
I understand you all want transparency but there is a time and a place for everything and also a way to say things that does not hurt other people who were doing their best to openly and honestly help people from the bottom of our hearts.

I apologize if some of this seems like gibberish but it's very upsetting to read these things.

I'd also like to point out that those of us who were here only know what we were told, and we have relayed that information to you in previous posts.

Now, if we could all PLEASE return to the more important issue of praying for Ron, Cristina and their families, so that God may give them strength and faith to heal both body and soul.

DENNIS - 10-2-2011 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiReNiTa
Now, if we could all PLEASE return to the more important issue of praying for Ron, Cristina and their families, so that God may give them strength and faith to heal both body and soul.

Any further questions, Folks? Gawwwd....I hope not.
Thanks, Sirenita. You're cool.

TMW - 10-2-2011 at 10:56 AM

Ditto

Oggie - 10-2-2011 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Ok....had to take several deep breaths and count to ten about 20 times after reading the pages of the thread that I had missed while dealing with life issues.

How to respond and not insult, hurt or offend others....I can't say I'll fully succeed but if in fact I do offend someone with what I'm posting please know that it is in NO way on purpose.

I understand why many of you want accounting, but seriously...did you take the time to read my post from a few days ago? I very openly said that accounting would be given, all you needed to do was give us some time! There were many receipts involved, many people involved and many many emotions, so it's only natural that in order to give full accountability there needs to be TIME!

At this time I will NOT be writing a detailed story, because in all honesty I think most anything said here is turned in to something else most of the time...I will say that those of us who were here did what we could to help, but in the end the decisions that were made were made by the family, which is exactly how it should be.
I know everyone cares for Ron and Cristina, and everyone has their own opinions of what would be better or worse for them, but it's just that...it's just YOUR opinions, and with all due respect the family did what they thought or knew was right for both Ron and Cristina at the time.

As for receipts, they will be scanned and posted just as the hospital wrote them, but this will take time, first of all because the people that have the receipts are the ones taking care of Ron, therefor scanning receipts is not their first priority and rightly so.
Also, Bajanomads were NOT the only people who gave money from their own pockets, which is why the receipts are spread out between a couple of different people, I will not say names because that's when everyone starts pointing fingers.

Tears are rolling down my face in frustration and anger that this thread, which is supposed to be for prayers and healing feelings (which are still very much needed) has turned in to a money debate.
It pains me to think of Ron and the fact that he will have to read all of this, because both him and Cristina and their families are going through such a difficult time, the healing does not end when you leave the hospital people!!

None of the people who were down here helping (as was said above) received monetary compensation nor did we ever even think of asking for it. The cell minutes that were sent were used only to make calls referring to the issues at hand, and if it's really that important I'll go buy some and send them back.
I understand you all want transparency but there is a time and a place for everything and also a way to say things that does not hurt other people who were doing their best to openly and honestly help people from the bottom of our hearts.

I apologize if some of this seems like gibberish but it's very upsetting to read these things.

I'd also like to point out that those of us who were here only know what we were told, and we have relayed that information to you in previous posts.

I am giving you a big cyber hug right now!!

David K - 10-2-2011 at 11:09 AM

Thanks Sirena, you are an angel and Shari should be very proud of the fine young woman she raised! :bounce:

SiReNiTa - 10-2-2011 at 11:14 AM

Thanks Oggie and everyone else, those pixelated hugs were very much needed and appreciated! Ensenada Nomads should get together for dinner or somethin', I'd be nice to chill under other circumstances!!!

Phil S - 10-2-2011 at 12:19 PM

SiReNiTa. Incredible what you did & I'm sure what you will continue to do. God watches over his 'Special People', and you & your husband certainly are two of them. Should I EVER find myself in similar trouble, I'd want it to be in G.N. area. Your mother did an outstanding job of teaching you the essentials of being a 'caring' person. May God walk with you the rest of your lives!!

24baja - 10-2-2011 at 01:18 PM

SiReNiTa, you are wonderful and caring woman who's motives, or intergrity should never be placed in question. You came forward and worked hard for your friends and for what you did, I know Ron & Cristina and their family will be forever grateful. Do not take what some offending persons on this site have said to heart, they know not of what you truely went through during the course of the emergency. I want to commend you on what a wonderful and genuine person you are (even though we have never met) and thank your parents for raising such an upstanding person who I would be honored to stand beside and would hope that I could be more like you if I were faced with the situation you were in. God Bless and wipe your tears away because not everyone here feels as other do. connie

BajaBlanca - 10-2-2011 at 01:35 PM

so well said, Sirenita.

God bless you.

and yeah, Ron and Cristina still need prayers.

DENNIS - 10-2-2011 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ridge
and then ponder who called Doug an a$$#%<e on another forum about it.

Now...who in the world would do such a despicable thing? :?:

Perhaps A Fitting Event

Bajahowodd - 10-2-2011 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks Oggie and everyone else, those pixelated hugs were very much needed and appreciated! Ensenada Nomads should get together for dinner or somethin', I'd be nice to chill under other circumstances!!!

Not too far back, on Ron's site, there was talk about having a dinner in Ensenada. I remember that El Rey Sol was mentioned as a possible site.

So, when the time is right, and Ron and Cristina are ready to be social, perhaps that idea can be crystalized.

And who knows, inasmuch as the owner of Rey Sol, Jean Loup Bitterlin has been a long time figure in the local tourist market, just perhaps someone could enlist him to make such a dinner an unforgettable event.

Ferna??

Good idea

bajaguy - 10-2-2011 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

Not too far back, on Ron's site, there was talk about having a dinner in Ensenada. I remember that El Rey Sol was mentioned as a possible site.

So, when the time is right, and Ron and Cristina are ready to be social, perhaps that idea can be crystalized.

And who knows, inasmuch as the owner of Rey Sol, Jean Loup Bitterlin has been a long time figure in the local tourist market, just perhaps someone could enlist him to make such a dinner an unforgettable event.

Ferna??

However, I would suggest the establishment where SiReNiTa's husband is the chef!!!!

BillP - 10-2-2011 at 04:56 PM

Quote:

Bravo!!

BillP - 10-2-2011 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

Ferna??

However, I would suggest the establishment where SiReNiTa's husband is the chef!!!!

Aw ...go to El Rey Sol and let the poor guy sit down with everyone and enjoy the party! ;)

Sirenita is a Hero

Gypsy Jan - 10-2-2011 at 06:05 PM

Hands down, no discussion.

A young mother and wife who throws herself into a disaster to help persons she doesn't know deserves to be recognized in the highest way available.

She is a hero.

Just my humble opinion.

GJ

Skipjack Joe - 10-2-2011 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

.... if I chose to send money, when it left my hand that was the end of it and it is of no importance if his daughter spent it on a wild night on the town.

I respectfully disagree with this opinion.

SiReNiTa - 10-2-2011 at 10:41 PM

I found this poem on a website while browsing the internet and thought it was quite fitting for all of us in our every day lives, just a little something to think about and hopefully Ron will read it and smile :)!!!!

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will.
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low, and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When are is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns.
As everyone of us sometimes learns.
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are.
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit.
It's when things seem worse, that you must not quit.

I love you all very very much and it means the world to me to read your thoughts, but for now let's keep all that loving energy towards Ron and his family so that he heals quickly and we can enjoy that dinner together sometime very soon!!!

Goodnight and God Bless :)

BajaGringo - 10-3-2011 at 09:42 AM

Good morning Nomads...

I have been away from the forum as several days ago I found myself in a lot of pain and experiencing shortness of breath - probably due to the simple fact that contrary to my daughter's insisting, I was just pushing myself too hard to get myself "back to normal". This is a process and I guess that I will just have to allow time and rest to bring this old body back. I can report that Cristina and I both are making progress and we both thank God for surviving that night, just over three weeks ago.

I understand the request for accountability and while we have been putting things together here, we realized that we do not have all the receipts. Many of them were bundled with my things from the hospital and taken back to San Quintin by friends.

My daughter did scan what we do have but she does not know how to upload them so I have taken over that task. These receipts add up to over 103,000 pesos and the money we received from your donations was 10,158 dollars, at the current exchange rate at the time (sorry - I don't have that figure available right now). The receipts scanned do not include the cost for things like medicines purchased, CT scans, additional lab work / X-Rays, transport and the cost for my surgery. Nor do they reflect nearly 10,000 dollars paid by family / close friends for our care in the first few days.

If any of you wish to be reimbursed, please notify me via u2u. Many, many thanks to ALL of you for your prayers, time, concern and contributions. It is appreciated by Cristina and I more than you could ever possibly know...

Ron

Link to Scan of Receipts

[Edited on 10-3-2011 by BajaGringo]

David K - 10-3-2011 at 09:50 AM

Great to see you posting amigo!

Sad that there are people who wanted more than to just see you back in good shape.

Keep healing, and know that the the good folks are happy for you and need nothing more.

DENNIS - 10-3-2011 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

Ron

Nice to hear from you, Ron.

Nobody wants to be reimbursed.

wessongroup - 10-3-2011 at 09:52 AM

Ditto's

DENNIS - 10-3-2011 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Sad that there are people who wanted more than to just see you back in good shape.

Keep healing, and know that the the good folks are happy for you and need nothing more.

Ya know, David........your distinctions of quality in people, good vs. bad, are really annoying.

24baja - 10-3-2011 at 11:19 AM

So glad to see you here BajaGringo...hope you and wife recover quickly.

Woooosh - 10-3-2011 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Ron

Nice to hear from you, Ron.

Nobody wants to be reimbursed.

same for this nobody!

sanquintinsince73 - 10-3-2011 at 11:58 AM

Glad to see you back, Mr. San Quintin. Bet there are alot of people in
La Card##as and La Chorera who can't wait to see your lovely face again. Viva Ron & Cristina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BajaBlanca - 10-3-2011 at 12:12 PM

BajaGringo ! welcome back ! take it slowly amigo ...you got the rest of your life to put your body back together

:yes:

what a great ending to a terrible beginning

:bounce:

mcfez - 10-3-2011 at 12:36 PM

Good to read from you. We all had great concerns for you and thew wify. Go slow, go slow........deno

KASHEYDOG - 10-3-2011 at 03:18 PM

Great to hear from you, Ron. Best wishes to you and your beautiful wife. Take your own time in recovering. I suspect it's going to take many months. Ya know, we don't recover as quickly as we used to. Haven't really figured out why yet. But I've had a few people try to give me some BS suggestion about age.:?:..:lol:..:fire:..:lol: Please call me if I can be of ANY help. Phone number is over there on the left

[Edited on 10-4-11 by KASHEYDOG]

David K - 10-3-2011 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Ya know, David........your distinctions of quality in people, good vs. bad, are really annoying.

I am sorry Dennis... that is the real world, like it or not. I do (however) try to never post intoxicated but only try and post facts and helpful content.

Brian L - 10-3-2011 at 08:04 PM

Quote:

I am sorry Dennis... that is the real world, like it or not. I do (however) try to never post intoxicated but only try and post facts and helpful content.

What is the fun of that? This forum provides facts, and a ton of fun things to read!

DENNIS - 10-3-2011 at 08:11 PM

Quote:

WOW....I think there's a zinger buried in there...somewhere. I'll have to consult my college text book, "Witicisms from good people."

wessongroup - 10-3-2011 at 08:19 PM

Hope it doesn't take to much time away from the room addition ... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

KASHEYDOG - 10-3-2011 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

WOW....I think there's a zinger buried in there...somewhere. I'll have to consult my college text book, "Witicisms from good people."

Hey Dennis!! I didn't think they had text books when you went to college. Or did you mean text "rocks"...:?:..:lol:..:lol:..:lol:

DENNIS - 10-3-2011 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KASHEYDOG
Hey Dennis!! I didn't think they had text books when you went to college. Or did you mean text "rocks"...:?:..:lol:..:lol:..:lol:

Velly hirarious. :lol:

KASHEYDOG - 10-3-2011 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Velly hirarious. :lol:

Hey !! Just had to get my 2 pebbles in :lol:..:P..;D

BajaGringo - 10-4-2011 at 08:36 AM

OK, so I got up early this morning and actually read this entire thread from the beginning. It took me through the full cycle of emotions from amazement to tears but ultimately it made me feel so very proud and honored to be a member of this group.

I did read a few misconceptions / misinformation and I thought I would take a moment to clear them up.

I did serve in the Navy but looking at the VA system admittance requirements I did not believe that I would qualify as I was not separated after serving in combat nor with any service related disability. Maybe I need to re-look at that.

Cristina had a 10 year laser visa which had recently expired and we were working on getting renewed - the reason she could not be moved across the border.

My daughter Christine was in contact with my neurologist several times a day via his cell phone and the doctor together with the hospital took excellent care of me. I truly credit them with saving my life.

I am not sure why I was moved from the Hospital General - lots of different stories circulating on that one from the versions posted here in this thread to one where a call was made to my neurologist for his availability and where to take me.

This whole experience has made me rethink the current plan of med coverage and in time I will post what changes I decide to make, if any.

Mostly, this thread has taught me much about what an amazing group you guys are. I am humbled by all of the energy, work and efforts made on our behalf. We bicker and fight but in the end you all came together like a family on our behalf. I cannot express how much that means to me.

And Sirena - you truly are my hero.

Cristina and I are forever grateful...

DENNIS - 10-4-2011 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
I did serve in the Navy but looking at the VA system admittance requirements I did not believe that I would qualify as I was not separated after serving in combat nor with any service related disability. Maybe I need to re-look at that.

Navy?? Combat?? You're in, buddy.
Hell of a time to find out...huh.

David K - 10-4-2011 at 08:44 AM

Thanks for being well again Ron!

Osprey - 10-4-2011 at 08:55 AM

Ron, now that the airways are not in emergency mode time for me to say that all I could do was wish you well, say a prayer. Somehow I knew you would survive and recover with a virtual army of people helping in so many ways.

God Bless and take your sweet time -- the army is still out there at parade rest.

KASHEYDOG - 10-4-2011 at 09:16 AM

Good Morning, Ron...:yes: Hope today is a good one for you, Christina and your family.

Dick ,.:coolup:

sanquintinsince73 - 10-4-2011 at 10:17 AM

http://youtu.be/NPNA-mtPXw8

KASHEYDOG - 10-4-2011 at 10:36 AM

Quote:

:lol:..:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BajaGringo - 10-4-2011 at 11:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks pal...

:lol:

Woooosh - 10-4-2011 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks pal...

:lol:

I liked the happy-ending! :)

welcome back...

shari - 10-4-2011 at 01:02 PM

I'm thinkin that guy could be a candidate for a new avatar for Ron!
I bet that sure made ya laugh eh amigo

KASHEYDOG - 10-4-2011 at 01:32 PM

HEY RON. Just F.Y.I. I don't doubt you've already looked at this site for the V.A. If not check it out.. I'm going to send an app in for myself too. :yes:..:yes:

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/tools/Quick_Elig...

Here's the app.......

https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/Form/1010EZ-fil...

Roberto - 10-4-2011 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Navy?? Combat?? You're in, buddy.
Hell of a time to find out...huh.

Maybe that's how misunderstanding start. Dennis read that again. He said [not] separated after serving in combat. From my experience, Ron's assessment is correct and he is not eligible for VA benefits. However, I am far from an expert - just been through the wringer several times while taking care of my father.

ELINVESTIG8R - 10-4-2011 at 01:52 PM

Just so everyone knows if you were in the U.S. Armed Forces and were discharged with an honorable discharge you go in and sign up. They give you a VA ID card and you can start using them. The VA Hospital is full of vets who are not retired and get benefits. All you need is your DD-214 and an official government ID Card
(Driver's Silence). Go in and sign up today if you are a vet with an honorable discharge. Take that in too! It all helps.

KASHEYDOG - 10-4-2011 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Just so everyone knows if you were in the U.S. Armed Forces and were discharged with an honorable discharge you go in and sign up. They give you a VA ID card and you can start using them. The VA Hospital is full of vets who are not retired and get benefits. All you need is your DD-214 and an official government ID Card
(Driver's Silence). Go in and sign up today if you are a vet with an honorable discharge. Take that in too! It all helps.

Good one, David...:yes:..:yes:

I just went on the VA web site and put those links above for Ron. All of you vets had better take advantage of your benifits. The way I read it is as David said above, Honorable discharge makes you eligible.
All vets need to apply. Click on the link and get it done......NOW !!! You can do it on line, right now.

angels4 - 10-4-2011 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I'm thinkin that guy could be a candidate for a new avatar for Ron!
I bet that sure made ya laugh eh amigo

Nooo! I like the crazy hair Ron. It is a look that fits him just right. An a face that only a mother can love :lol: :lol:

shari - 10-4-2011 at 04:37 PM

Oh laura...you know I was kidding...if in 30 or so years from now we try to remember some of the nomad avatars, THAT crazy hair one will ALWAYS be remembered.

Ron, you KNOW that many of us are also doing alot of rethinking on a number of different levels...the ripple effect is tremendous and alot of lives will be saved as a result now that people being better informed, prepared and responsible...a positive outcome....thanks Ron for being you man...mi respetos como siempre.

[Edited on 10-4-2011 by shari]

KASHEYDOG - 10-4-2011 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Ron, you KNOW that many of us are also doing alot of rethinking on a number of different levels...the ripple effect is tremendous and alot of lives will be saved as a result now that people being better informed, prepared and responsible...a positive outcome....thanks Ron for being you man...mi respetos como siempre.

[Edited on 10-4-2011 by shari]

I'll second that one , Ron. Can I get an AMEN from alll of ya ??
Well said, Shari. Thank you..:yes:..:yes:

[Edited on 10-5-11 by KASHEYDOG]

Bob H - 10-4-2011 at 08:22 PM

Bajagringo... just read this whole thread AGAIN... wow, what an ordeal you guys went through and all the wonderful responses from so many Nomads!!

Thrilled that you are back and posting again... Bob H

DENNIS - 10-4-2011 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Maybe that's how misunderstanding start. Dennis read that again. He said [not] separated after serving in combat.

I have been locked up for long and short periods of time in the Mental Health pod with many patients who hadn't seen tough times.
The VA is for all vets....not just certain types although, depending on personal wealth, the co-pay will vary.

[Edited on 10-5-2011 by DENNIS]

BajaNomad - 10-5-2011 at 01:49 AM

Just follow-up here. My understanding is these were the total peso amounts that were collected through FDT:

Western Union 16,493
Banamex 5,975
Soriana 2,000
--
Total 24,468

The remainder (and majority) of the donated funds were processed through Discover Baja as arranged by another Nomad (noted earlier in the thread).

KurtG - 10-5-2011 at 08:04 AM

Correct, any vet with two years active service and a good discharge is eliglible for the VA medical system. There is a sliding scale for copay depending on income. I have been in this system since eligibility was expanded in 1996 and it has served me well. In those 15 years I have had only three different primary MD's all board certified internists. First few years in Santa Barbara and last ten or so at the San Luis Obispo outpatient clinic. I am also in Medicare but still use the VA as my primary provider since the care has been excellent. Also, I saw earlier a disparaging remark about the VA Hospital in La Jolla. I strongly disagree with that, I think it is one of the best VA facilities in the country and when I went to the emergency room there for treatment of an injury suffered in Baja I was treated promptly and well. I would encourage all vets to enroll in the VA system whether or not they use it as a primary provider.

Quote:

BajaGringo - 10-5-2011 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Correct, any vet with two years active service and a good discharge is eliglible for the VA medical system. There is a sliding scale for copay depending on income. I have been in this system since eligibility was expanded in 1996 and it has served me well. In those 15 years I have had only three different primary MD's all board certified internists. First few years in Santa Barbara and last ten or so at the San Luis Obispo outpatient clinic. I am also in Medicare but still use the VA as my primary provider since the care has been excellent. Also, I saw earlier a disparaging remark about the VA Hospital in La Jolla. I strongly disagree with that, I think it is one of the best VA facilities in the country and when I went to the emergency room there for treatment of an injury suffered in Baja I was treated promptly and well. I would encourage all vets to enroll in the VA system whether or not they use it as a primary provider.

Quote:

Thanks Kurt and David. I had never applied as I was "told" years ago that I wasn't eligible. Looks like that changed.

KASHEYDOG - 10-5-2011 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
HEY RON. Just F.Y.I. I don't doubt you've already looked at this site for the V.A. If not check it out.. I'm going to send an app in for myself too. :yes:..:yes:

Here's the app.......

https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/Form/1010EZ-fil...

GET' ER DONE TODAY !!! HERE'S THE LINKS AGAIN :yes: :yes:

toneart - 10-5-2011 at 08:38 PM

Ron,

I am very happy that you and Cristina are recovering well. I was not logging into Bajanomad for about three weeks due to personal reasons. I followed your saga though and was quite concerned. But all the bickering on this thread was so distasteful to me that I am pretty much done with the forum. I have lost respect for many here, however, Sirenita is not one of them. She was and is an heroic angel! She was your ombudsman and was vital to your care and recovery.

While I have donated money to many Nomad causes, I did not contribute to yours because the places to donate, opinions and strange motivations expressed here were confusing, and in my opinion, counterproductive.

It became clear that your daughter had taken charge and that your family's wishes prevailed. It would not have been appropriate for me to enter the fray so I butted out! In hindsight, it appears that the best decisions were made and the good outcome was the result.

My best wishes for your and Cristina's continued recovery.
Tony

BajaBlanca - 10-5-2011 at 09:15 PM

Hi Ron ! really nice to see you on board and i sure hope you recover fast fast fast and Cristina tambien.

Can I ask you what the govenor said ? Did he contact you ? Was he impressed by the number of amreicanos who wrote him ?

suerte con todo. Blanca

willyAirstream - 10-6-2011 at 06:11 AM

Glad you guys pulled thru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SiReNiTa - 10-6-2011 at 09:43 AM

Quote:

And Sirena - you truly are my hero.

And you and Cristina are my hero's, the amount of love and strength that emanates from you both is truly amazing! xoxoxo

Get well soon!

bajamigo - 10-6-2011 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

While I have donated money to many Nomad causes, I did not contribute to yours because the places to donate, opinions and strange motivations expressed here were confusing, and in my opinion, counterproductive.

If anything is confusing, it's this statement. Was it really necessary (not to say accurate) to make it?

wessongroup - 10-17-2011 at 07:21 AM

Would appear to be tones personal thoughts on the issue... no big woof.... just saying

and thanks KASHEYDOG and others for the up date on VA thinking ... thought I wasn't qualified, would appear I am... nice present to find under the Christmas tree... given current insurance and medical costs ... a little early ... but I LIKE IT anyway :):)

Anyone know how the VA is in Prescott AZ ???

[Edited on 10-17-2011 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 10-17-2011 by wessongroup]

bufeo - 10-17-2011 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup...Anyone know how the VA is in Prescott AZ ???...

I found them to be helpful, courteous, and conscientious. We re-located up here to Idaho shortly after I "filled in the forms" at the Prescott office and they then helped me move my file to Idaho. Good folks when I was there. (1994)

Allen R

KASHEYDOG - 10-17-2011 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Would appear to be tones personal thoughts on the issue... no big woof.... just saying

and thanks KASHEYDOG and others for the up date on VA thinking ... thought I wasn't qualified, would appear I am... nice present to find under the Christmas tree... given current insurance and medical costs ... a little early ... but I LIKE IT anyway :):)

Anyone know how the VA is in Prescott AZ ???

Go get'er done Wesson... I just signed up last week and I'm going for my first physical this Friday. They have been very accommodating and helpful. The big facility in La Jolla is only about 25 miles north of the San Ysidro border crossing. It has ALL the stuff there. All you "Vets" need to look into this, you EARNED it. It's health care for the rest of your life..... and it's almost FREE........

DENNIS - 10-17-2011 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
.... and it's almost FREE........

Depending on your co-pay status, it can go either way.

KASHEYDOG - 10-17-2011 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
.... and it's almost FREE........

Depending on your co-pay status, it can go either way.

True Dennis..:yes:.. However, the co-pay didn't seem to be nearly as much as $600 to $800 a month for coverage in the private sector. From what I saw co-pays were minimal $15 to $20 a visit. I believe medicare A covers hospitalization for them. Any way I look at it it looks good to me. Can't go wrong. Costs nothing to sign up and check it out. I'm in...:yes:..:bounce:..:yes:

[Edited on 10-17-11 by KASHEYDOG]

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 04:40 PM

Well it was a good/bad news kind of day.

The good news is that the latest CT scan came back showing my jaw had healed to the point that they removed all the hardware holding my jaw together.

The bad news is that for the first time I was finally able to see the extent of the damage to my mouth/teeth and so it looks like it will be a long road ahead still.

In the end I am so thankful that Cristina and I survived and together we will face what comes. We are especially thankful for all of you that have supported us.

I consider us very, very lucky...

Cypress - 11-3-2011 at 04:47 PM

You and Cristina survived. You are very lucky.:tumble:

DianaT - 11-3-2011 at 04:54 PM

I can't imagine how good it feels to be able to move your jaw! That is great. Poco a poco you can get the rest repaired.

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 05:00 PM

Another disappointment was how little I can open my mouth. It will take therapy to get my jaw working like normal again.

And I was dreaming of a big, fat juicy steak tonight...

:rolleyes:

Ken Cooke - 11-3-2011 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Another disappointment was how little I can open my mouth. It will take therapy to get my jaw working like normal again.

And I was dreaming of a big, fat juicy steak tonight...

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear that you will need therapy for your jaw to work again like before. On the other hand, I haven't eated red meat since 1990. So, I will forgo the Beef along with you.:light:

Pages:  1  ..  11    13