BajaNomad

Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked

Pages:  1  ..  12    14

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Excuse my visitation of the past at this moment, but unless I missed a prior discosure here, I'm left wondering of the logistics of the donation effort in your behalf, and before others here scold me for my inquiry,....for me, it's an unanswered question that requires attention. It requires the same answers to questions that were asked at the time of the ordeal. I'm not asking purely to know the numbers, but to not feel we were ignored in our requests in the past when all we got was silence.
Again....it's not what transpired......it's what wasn't disclosed.
I want to know.......all of it. We were part of it and deserve full disclosure. I said before, I wouldn't let it go and I won't.

We were called upon to help....we did that.....and I want to know the full why.

Please forgive my perserverance, Ron. I love ya to death, but I have to keep the gaps in my life filled. That's what I owe to myself.

No problem at all Dennis. I am finally heading back down next week to the house in San Quintin. Once there I will see what I can round up in the way of receipts as some of them were grabbed up with my clothes and things from the hospital and taken back to San Quintin when I checked out and headed up north. Not even sure who took the stuff or where it ended up but I know they also took my boots so I figure if I can find them I will be close!

Not sure if you saw my post from a month ago where I posted what info/receipts I did have but here is a copy of that post:

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Good morning Nomads...

I have been away from the forum as several days ago I found myself in a lot of pain and experiencing shortness of breath - probably due to the simple fact that contrary to my daughter's insisting, I was just pushing myself too hard to get myself "back to normal". This is a process and I guess that I will just have to allow time and rest to bring this old body back. I can report that Cristina and I both are making progress and we both thank God for surviving that night, just over three weeks ago.

I understand the request for accountability and while we have been putting things together here, we realized that we do not have all the receipts. Many of them were bundled with my things from the hospital and taken back to San Quintin by friends.

My daughter did scan what we do have but she does not know how to upload them so I have taken over that task. These receipts add up to over 103,000 pesos and the money we received from your donations was 10,158 dollars, at the current exchange rate at the time (sorry - I don't have that figure available right now). The receipts scanned do not include the cost for things like medicines purchased, CT scans, additional lab work / X-Rays, transport and the cost for my surgery. Nor do they reflect nearly 10,000 dollars paid by family / close friends for our care in the first few days.

If any of you wish to be reimbursed, please notify me via u2u. Many, many thanks to ALL of you for your prayers, time, concern and contributions. It is appreciated by Cristina and I more than you could ever possibly know...

Ron

Link to Scan of Receipts

BajaBlanca - 11-3-2011 at 06:48 PM

hopefully your jaw will loosen up quickly ..... one step at a time ....

mojo_norte - 11-3-2011 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Another disappointment was how little I can open my mouth. It will take therapy to get my jaw working like normal again.

And I was dreaming of a big, fat juicy steak tonight...

:rolleyes:

All the best - are you getting PT locally in San Q' ?

Woooosh - 11-3-2011 at 08:02 PM

Dennis- you were the FIRST one to say Ron has nothing to do with this. He didn't ask for the money... remember? Why bring it up with Ron now, or did I miss some posts?

DENNIS - 11-3-2011 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Dennis- you were the FIRST one to say Ron has nothing to do with this. He didn't ask for the money... remember? Why bring it up with Ron now, or did I miss some posts?

It's a drama that requires closure, Craig. I'm going to the source for answers...not an accounting. It's a proper request.

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It's a drama that requires closure, Craig. I'm going to the source for answers...not an accounting. It's a proper request.

Are you asking for an accounting of the money actually collected? We didn't receive anything like that on paper, just the cash which I noted in the prior post. If there is someone who can coordinate the information/accounting from the people who actually received the donations we can compare that I guess? Not exactly sure who to even ask for that???

BajaRat - 11-3-2011 at 08:42 PM

111,000 an counting. Dennis please stop bullying people. Please.
You have had so many better things to talk about.
Hope if you or I need help we wont be crucified.
Your such an inspiration for what I hope to never experience.
Peace B.

BajaRat - 11-3-2011 at 08:43 PM

Ron!!
Steak Tar Tar!!

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 08:48 PM

It's a reasonable and natural request by Dennis - I'm just not sure who can provide an actual accounting of the total collected vs what was given to us. I was kind of "out of it" while all that was going on.

So who here knows who can provide the actual donated total?

sanquintinsince73 - 11-3-2011 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Ron!!
Steak Tar Tar!!

Blenderized clams and oysters.............nah never mind.

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Quote:
Ron!!
Steak Tar Tar!!

Clams and oysters I can eat - really looking forward to getting back to La Chorera!!!

sanquintinsince73 - 11-3-2011 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ron!!
Steak Tar Tar!!

Clams and oysters I can eat - really looking forward to getting back to La Chorera!!!

:tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble:
Dios te bendiga, Mr. Hoff

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Dios te bendiga, Mr. Hoff

Thanks pal. He already has...

;)

UnoMas - 11-3-2011 at 09:01 PM

Who really cares..Not me! Just glad Ron & his wife are alive, if there was a little extra to help with the on going expenses..Great! Drop it and let's get back to being Nomads and looking out for each other when terrible things happen...............

Hook - 11-3-2011 at 09:07 PM

I think Dennis has a legitimate request. He went to the recipient to see how it all went down. He handled it with respect and a clear understanding of the pitfalls involved in asking. He waited till a major milestone in the victim's progress was reached. He donated money, I believe. Is he supposed to just HOPE that a concerted effort by Nomads was handled properly?

I'm curious, too. I didnt donate this time but, given the level of support, I will be a donor for the next victim off Nomads. This is a good thing!!!

Didnt sound like a crucifixion or bullying to me at all..................

deportes - 11-3-2011 at 09:11 PM

Money is the root of all evil! Great to hear that Ron and cristina are heading back to the area they love. GL amigo!Que Dios los bendiga! Salud y Paz.

BajaNomad - 11-3-2011 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
... who here knows who can provide the actual donated total?

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Just follow-up here. My understanding is these were the total peso amounts that were collected through FDT:

Western Union 16,493
Banamex 5,975
Soriana 2,000
--
Total 24,468

The remainder (and majority) of the donated funds were processed through Discover Baja as arranged by another Nomad (noted earlier in the thread).

BajaGringo - 11-3-2011 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
... who here knows who can provide the actual donated total?

Quote:
Just follow-up here. My understanding is these were the total peso amounts that were collected through FDT:

Western Union 16,493
Banamex 5,975
Soriana 2,000
--
Total 24,468

The remainder (and majority) of the donated funds were processed through Discover Baja as arranged by another Nomad (noted earlier in the thread).

At first I thought that was in dollars and I about had a heart attack as I know we never received even half that amount. I will continue to work offline with folks involved to see if we can come up with a more complete answer...

Woooosh - 11-3-2011 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I think Dennis has a legitimate request. He went to the recipient to see how it all went down. He handled it with respect and a clear understanding of the pitfalls involved in asking. He waited till a major milestone in the victim's progress was reached. He donated money, I believe. Is he supposed to just HOPE that a concerted effort by Nomads was handled properly?

I'm curious, too. I didnt donate this time but, given the level of support, I will be a donor for the next victim off Nomads. This is a good thing!!!

Didnt sound like a crucifixion or bullying to me at all..................

I had a chance to visit with Ron and Cristina a few weeks back. Although in good spirits and recovering rapidly- it was clear to me they both will need more work. Whatever money was donated/loaned/collected won't be enough to cover the bills they are incurring. What they went through, and the injuries they suffered- were far worse than what was posted here. You have to be sitting face to face with them to understand how truly bad this was. I understand promises were made to provide a responsible accounting- but anyone who thinks there is a surplus in Ron's pocket is misguided. jmo.

DENNIS - 11-4-2011 at 06:01 AM

Quote:
I understand promises were made to provide a responsible accounting- but anyone who thinks there is a surplus in Ron's pocket is misguided. jmo.

Not for a moment did I think that. If I had, I never would have brought this up.
I did bring it up because it's part of a tacit [and not so tacit] agreement that was suggested, and, in my opinion, made.
I'm just inquisitive about unexplained "Bailouts." Can anyone here say these things don't bother them?

shari - 11-4-2011 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
I'm just inquisitive about unexplained "Bailouts." Can anyone here say these things don't bother them?

these things dont bother me a bit....there I said it...have a great day everyone!

bajamedic - 11-4-2011 at 09:42 AM

When I choose to give, it is all about the giving, not what happens to or with the money, just sayin. JH

DENNIS - 11-4-2011 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

these things dont bother me a bit....there I said it...have a great day everyone!

I guess I should have said, "US taxpayer."

shari - 11-4-2011 at 11:35 AM

nahhh....that doesnt bother me either!!! jajajaja

DENNIS - 11-4-2011 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
nahhh....that doesnt bother me either!!! jajajaja

I'll think of something. hmmmmmmm.........:smug:

BajaGringo - 11-4-2011 at 12:07 PM

OK, so based on what Doug posted earlier we have this amount in donations in pesos:

Western Union 16,493
Banamex 5,975
Soriana 2,000
--
Total 24,468

I just got an email from Carol at Discover Baja who generously coordinated the majority of the donations and even donated all the credit card fees which would have been deducted from the donations sent.

Here is her email including her contact info in case any of you would like to contact her to verify:

"We kept a detailed report of the donations we collected for you. I would NOT want the amounts and names shared on the nomad site. I don't think that would serve any positive purpose.

Between 9/14 and 9/16/2011 we took 22 donations by credit card totaling $9145.00. We tried to send a $5,000 moneygram on Sept 14th which was never successfully delivered. We went back on Sept 15th and got the $5,000 back but the $100 fee was non-refundable. On Sept 16th we gave $9045.00 in cash to be delivered in to Ensenada. We assumed the cost for the credit card processing.

Ron, if you need more information about specific donations, I'd be glad to share it with you, but I don't want that all made public. Hope this helps."

Saludos,

Carol

Discover Baja Travel Club
(619) 275-4225
(800) 727-2252
(858) 458-0722 Fax
www.discoverbaja.com

There was an exchange receipt for the $9045USD into pesos but we can't find that right now. It may have made its way back to SQ with the rest of my things from the hospital. It was sort of an organized chaos during those days back in September.

I looked online and the general consensus for the exchange rate on September 15th was that it was about 12.9 to the dollar.

That equates to $9045USD = $116,680.50 pesos. Add that to the peso total previously given and that comes out to $141,148.50 pesos.

About ten thousand pesos from that was used for food/lodging/logistics for Cristina's family who had come to be with her at the Hospital General and to buy a couple of phone cards and other miscellaneous small expenses for those who selflessly gave up a week of their life to stand guard in the hospital and coordinate the flow of info/needs/help/contact with the family.

My daughter was given a little over 131,000 pesos which went COMPLETELY towards the balance owing for the hospital / surgeons bills.

Although we still face a long road ahead to completely recover, I am again compelled to say how very thankful we are to ALL of you for your donations, care, support, calls, messages and prayers. God was truly watching over us.

You all will remain very close to us in our hearts...

goldhuntress - 11-4-2011 at 12:17 PM

BajaGringo, you are a true class act. I'm confident you and Christina will continue to recover and your lives will return to some sort of normal, whatever that may be. Best wishes to you both.

Bajafun777 - 11-4-2011 at 12:17 PM

What is tough about this situation is you two people that were seriously harmed and needed serious medical attention, thus they will not have all the ins and outs of getting everything together even if they tried. Tough spot to be in and tough going it will be to make sure everyone is thanked, other than you know who you are if you donated and their thanks has been given many times on this site. Hope all is well and recovery is going well along with God keeping them safe from future harm. Take Care&Travel Safe---"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

DENNIS - 11-4-2011 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
to make sure everyone is thanked,

I doubt anyone is looking to be thanked.....only get the closure that was offered at the beginning of this ordeal.
As far as I'm concerned, Ron just did that and it will go a long way toward the success of the next effort.
It's only a matter of time.

Thanks Ron.

Hook - 11-4-2011 at 07:24 PM

I never thought of a surplus either.

I was actually more interested in what the charges were, that were imposed by the health care professionals.

BajaGringo - 11-4-2011 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I never thought of a surplus either.

I was actually more interested in what the charges were, that were imposed by the health care professionals.

Good question and I am still trying to figure that out. The hospital where I was taken normally gets paid by the day - no running tab. They made some exceptions in my case and allowed the bill to accumulate for a few days. Once they did start the accounting we were presented with individual bills for ICU care, CT scans, X-Rays, medications, procedures, operating room and daily hospitalization. We then paid separately for the care provided by the physicians - there were four. A Neurologist, a neurosurgeon, an oral surgeon and one other doctor who I believe was an internist.

We were never given a single, itemized bill for the entire stay/care but I believe it was in the range of 200,000 pesos spent from the first day until I was discharged a week later...

BajaGringo - 3-8-2012 at 10:23 AM

I am very happy to say that Cristina is finally back home now and we are working hard to get back on track with all our projects around here. I haven't been online much lately but you all continue to be in our thoughts and we will never forget all the support you gave us.

God bless every one of you...

David K - 3-8-2012 at 10:25 AM

So glad that you are back together in the place you want to be!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Woooosh - 3-8-2012 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
I am very happy to say that Cristina is finally back home now and we are working hard to get back on track with all our projects around here. I haven't been online much lately but you all continue to be in our thoughts and we will never forget all the support you gave us.

God bless every one of you...

You and Cristina gave us a good scare and I am so glad she has healed well enough to return home. I am still looking forward to abalone in a few years! Our huge Lab Guero was especially fond of Cristina and the way he just laid his huge body at her feet to comfort her was wonderful (for both of them I think). Very glad this six month ordeal did not derail you. bravo!

TMW - 3-8-2012 at 12:38 PM

Good news for sure. Glad things are working their way back to normal.

Keri - 3-8-2012 at 01:06 PM

Ron , Glad to see you back.Very happy to see that Christina is ok and at home with you.,k

Neal Johns - 3-8-2012 at 01:16 PM

Yes, good to hear that you are doing "OK" (more or less). Thanks again to FDT, Carol at Discover Baja, and all the Nomads that kicked in. Way to go!

Honest Neal Johns - a man you can trust! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ramuma53 - 8-20-2012 at 12:49 PM

Bajagringo
I am glad that you and your wife are ok after that bad ordeal.
I am looking forward to see if I can also help you in any way, I will be checking this thread from now on to see if I can be of any service.

luv2fish - 8-20-2012 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ramuma53
Bajagringo
I am looking forward to see if I can also help you in any way, I will be checking this thread from now on to see if I can be of any service.

You can help by not helping.:lol::?: :lol:

Mula - 8-20-2012 at 03:36 PM

Boy aren't you privileged, Ron. Bet you can't wait!

norte - 8-20-2012 at 04:06 PM

Why not let Ron answer for himself? It was addressed to him, before others jump in as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
Quote:
Originally posted by ramuma53
Bajagringo

You can help by not helping.:lol::?: :lol:

jimgrms - 2-8-2014 at 12:36 PM

Just found this Thread, makes me proud to be a Nomad, what a great bunch of people ,

pauldavidmena - 2-8-2014 at 04:15 PM

Having only joined Baja Nomad within the past year, this is my first time viewing this thread as well. It definitely displays the potential power of a digital community.

DENNIS - 2-8-2014 at 04:28 PM

It was an ordeal for Ron and Christina for certain.

Nine+ years later...

BajaGringo - 12-10-2020 at 11:47 AM

For whatever reason and after all the time that has passed, over the last week I have received a lot of email from people reaching out to me, asking about how we came out of this and whatever happened to the perps, whether they are still in jail or released, etc. Not sure if this post was shared somewhere on another website or referenced to? I made a post on Talk Baja a few months back but the new messages are now coming via email and not FB Messenger which makes me think that this thread may be the source of the new curiosity as I have my email listed in my profile here.

I will share parts of what I posted on Talk Baja here, hoping to answer the questions and let you all know where we are today.

Once out of the hospital it would take me awhile to be able to walk again unassisted. Cristina’s physical wounds healed in the months that followed but she was left with both physical and deep emotional scars that she will carry with her the rest of her life. A psychiatrist in Tijuana diagnosed Cristina with severe PTSD; the memories of that day still giving her incredibly vivid and terrifying nightmares.

Cristina and I somehow survived that horrible day but it was only with the help of so many good friends and neighbors that we can both share our story with you. So many people that helped us and played critical roles in our rescue and hospital care, as well as assisting with so many things going on around us at that time that needed to be attended to when we simply were unable to do so.

In addition to our neighbors, I will never forget all the friends who stood by us as well as watched over our home for months including many close friends here in San Quintin and Baja Nomad members who came forward to help out with our hospital expenses.

The perps had taken my wallet and we had no access to any of our accounts for a couple of weeks until I was physically able to make the trip to the bank. I will never forget Sirena, Shari, Fernando, Gene, Reyes and his family along with a long list of our family, friends, doctors, nurses and countless others who all helped care for us in some way, including the Discover Baja Travel Club.

And life goes on.

Cristina and I still thank God every single day for each new day of life. We both feel like we have been given a second chance and have really learned to appreciate what it truly means to be alive. I also look back and recognize what made the critical differences between life and death that day, with one in particular that I recommend for those of you who choose (like us) to live in the more remote areas of this long and beautiful peninsula.

Stay close to your neighbors!

Living remotely down here feels like living in paradise. I get it, believe me I do. But to live remotely does not have to mean you are cut off from everybody and the one thing that played such a key role in us surviving that day was our connection to our neighbors. They knew us, our habits and even the tread mark of our tires on dirt.

They responded to our call for help as they would to a close family member – without hesitation and one even catching up to and closely following our vehicle when they recognized it while staying in contact with police on his cell phone. When it was announced that there was only one ambulance equipped to transport one of us at a time to advanced care in Ensenada, Reyes went into town and raised holy hell, calling all of his contacts in Ensenada and Mexicali to get the delegate to release a reserve ambulance.

We likely would not have gotten that level of response to a call that day from neighbors who were practical strangers.

So get to know your neighbors.

And contrary to some rumors that have been widely circulated, after nine years the perps are still incarcerated. The case is still ongoing and they have yet to be sentenced, believe it or not. We are still under the old system of justice which is much more time consuming and they themselves deeply complicated matters, trying numerous legal maneuvers over the years that have all failed, serving only to add countless months of legal bureaucracy and have only delayed the inevitable.

We have stayed very active and involved with the case and are very active in the local community of San Quintin. We make sure that the attorney prosecuting the case stays on top of things and they have proven themselves sincere advocates for us and our call for justice.

I want to take this opportunity again to thank everyone here on BajaNomad as well as all of our friends and family who helped us get through this awful ordeal. Your support and kindness has never, ever been forgotten.

God bless you all...

Ron and Cristina

[Edited on 12-10-2020 by BajaGringo]

Lee - 12-10-2020 at 11:55 AM

Hey Ron -- glad to read your words and know you're dealing with stuff. Long strange trip, indeed. Virtual hugs, man! Lee

TMW - 12-10-2020 at 12:36 PM

X2

David K - 12-10-2020 at 01:36 PM

Good to hear from you, Ron!

AKgringo - 12-10-2020 at 02:21 PM

The most recent post on this thread before today was many months before I discovered BajaNomad, so this is all news to me!

I don't think I will go back through 68 pages, but I saw enough to get a feel for what a nightmare the Hoff's went through.

Here's hoping that there are no more dark days!

CaboMagic - 12-10-2020 at 05:44 PM

Ron and Cristina,
All and every best wishes from your Sur amigos,
T&L

edited for a vowel from Vanna

[Edited on 12-11-2020 by CaboMagic]

BajaBlanca - 12-10-2020 at 08:02 PM

Ron, all I can tell you is it was an immense relief when I found Cristina. And the sheer desperation when we didn't know where you were.

One day I hope to meet you two in person!

On the other thread you wrote on, you mention that when dealing with druggies, walk away, run away, do not confront. I hope I understood the message correctly...I think it is a really important one.

BajaGringo - 12-11-2020 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Hey Ron -- glad to read your words and know you're dealing with stuff. Long strange trip, indeed. Virtual hugs, man! Lee

Thanks Lee. Life has thrown all sorts of challenges my way over the decades and I suppose that it's just a matter of being too hard headed to give in and/or give up. Cristina and I truly were blessed to be able to make it through.

I like to think it was my youngest - Olivia - who was pulling some strings from up in heaven.

A big virtual hug back at ya brother...

BajaGringo - 12-11-2020 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
X2

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Good to hear from you, Ron!

Thank you, sincerely...

BajaGringo - 12-11-2020 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The most recent post on this thread before today was many months before I discovered BajaNomad, so this is all news to me!

I don't think I will go back through 68 pages, but I saw enough to get a feel for what a nightmare the Hoff's went through.

Here's hoping that there are no more dark days!

It was a nightmare and I try hard to keep looking forward, and not dwelling on what we went through. It's easy for me to say but not so much for Cristina, who was left with a quite severe case of PTSD. She amazes me how hard she tries each day to keep moving forward as well. She is a true survivor and my personal hero...

BajaGringo - 12-11-2020 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
Ron and Cristina,
All and every best wishes from your Sur amigos,
T&L

Thanks so much. We continue to be overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from so many. It really has helped to restore our faith in humanity, something that was kind of hard to see for awhile after this all went down...

BajaGringo - 12-11-2020 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Ron, all I can tell you is it was an immense relief when I found Cristina. And the sheer desperation when we didn't know where you were.

One day I hope to meet you two in person!

On the other thread you wrote on, you mention that when dealing with druggies, walk away, run away, do not confront. I hope I understood the message correctly...I think it is a really important one.

Thanks Blanca and I do hope that we can meet one day too. We still have plans at some point to make a trip down south of th4e 28th parallel and La Bocana would be on that list.

And yes, unfortunately today one simply has to think twice about wanting to help/interact with folks down here dealing with substance abuse issues. When you open your doors to them, you are basically opening your doors to all the low lifes around them too.

Sad times we are living in...

BajaGringo - 12-11-2020 at 12:21 PM

Reading through all of the posts for the first time (took quite awhile) I thought I'd clear up a couple of things:

1. The reason that my daughter did not see the VA as a treatment option is that we had discussed that previously. Although I served in the US Navy, it was not during a time of war and my understanding was that precluded me from using the VA as a treatment option. Some have told me that is no longer the case and I still should find out if that is in fact true.

2. We self-funded our healthcare here in Mexico and did not carry US healthcare insurance as the distance to the border seemed to be an obstacle to using it enough to justify it. We both have excellent healthcare here in San Quintin.

3. When we were attacked, my wallet was taken with my ID and bank cards. I had attempted to add Cristina to my US bank accounts in the months prior but the bank up north was giving us trouble adding Cristina to the accounts. She had a valid US visa but her passport had expired. We were in the middle of building and simply hadn't taken the time to get that fixed, so even after she was out of the hospital, neither she or anyone else had no way of getting access to our bank accounts.

3. Cristina's name is Cristina Montes Monjo and yes, one of the last names of the perps is also Montes but we know of no family connection whatsoever - they are from different parts of Mexico.

Having taken the time to actually read through this entire thread has left me with a heavy burden of emotions - the difficult memories of that time we endured and survived, the warmth and joy from the outpouring of love and support from so many here and the heartfelt pain to read the words of friends here who were so concerned with our well being but today are no longer with us.

It has left me with a heavy emotional load on my plate today and a renewed appreciation for the value of good friends. Cristina and I both are forever in your debt. God bless you...

[Edited on 12-11-2020 by BajaGringo]

Ateo - 12-11-2020 at 03:07 PM

Hey Ron, It was nice to meet you a few years back. I wish healing for you and Cristina. I hope for further distancing -- between you and this event -- that life threw at ya . I'm sure you have gained a lot of wisdom that'll be shared with other humans for the rest of your life. Take care buddy. Thanks for surviving and sharing.

Jon

David K - 12-11-2020 at 04:23 PM

We are glad you are here, too!

lizard lips - 12-12-2020 at 06:05 AM

Last time I saw you Ron was there at Del Carmen hooked up to all those tubes and when I saw you it took my breath away! I really hope one day soon we can get together and chat. You will always have this "Brother" here in Ensenada whenever you need me.

shari - 12-13-2020 at 10:19 AM

I am proud of Nomads who rally to come to the rescue!
Perhaps this site has slipped over the years, but in times of need, many people stepped up to the plate to help so many Nomads for which I applaud you all and Doug for hosting this site.

BajaGringo - 12-14-2020 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Hey Ron, It was nice to meet you a few years back. I wish healing for you and Cristina. I hope for further distancing -- between you and this event -- that life threw at ya . I'm sure you have gained a lot of wisdom that'll be shared with other humans for the rest of your life. Take care buddy. Thanks for surviving and sharing.

Jon

It was great meeting you too Jon and hopefully after this pandemic is in the rear view mirror we can meet again and spend some more time together.

Thanks so much for the very kind words...

BajaGringo - 12-14-2020 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Hey Ron,

I know we have not met in person but I feel I know you from the many extensive dialogues we have had.

I just have to say that your depth of character, intellect and your inner strength are remarkable.
You have suffered the greatest of losses and, yet, you thrive without any bitterness that I have seen.

I am not sure I would be so graceful but I do believe in surviving the moments until you can thrive again.

All respect to you and I hope you and Cristina find a modality of PTSD TX that will ease her challenges with it.
I understand it a bit too personally but it is what it is.

I am very interested in the modalities with psychotropic applications and what appears to be very good success rates.
Not everybody is, though, and that is a very personal decision.

Katie wishes you both the best as do I.

Big hugs to you.

Thanks Frank and the feeling is mutual. I know that whenever we do finally meet in person it will be like old friends getting together again as I feel I have come to know you and your family that well over the years.

Cristina has tried lots of different therapies and medications but it seems that time and the support of good friends here in our local community is probably the very best healer of all, to whatever extent that is even possible.

I just thank God that she survived that awful nightmare.

Take care of yourself and your family and let's make sure that our paths do eventually cross finally in the not too distant future amigo.

Hugs for you and your O'Grady crew - stay safe...

BajaGringo - 12-14-2020 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
Last time I saw you Ron was there at Del Carmen hooked up to all those tubes and when I saw you it took my breath away! I really hope one day soon we can get together and chat. You will always have this "Brother" here in Ensenada whenever you need me.

The feeling is mutual Dan and know that you have a brother here in San Quintin as well. Make it down this way and we'll share an afternoon over a BBQ and adult beverages...

BajaGringo - 12-14-2020 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I am proud of Nomads who rally to come to the rescue!
Perhaps this site has slipped over the years, but in times of need, many people stepped up to the plate to help so many Nomads for which I applaud you all and Doug for hosting this site.

So true indeed Shari...

Skipjack Joe - 12-14-2020 at 12:56 PM

I always thought Lizard Lips was a she. After all these years ...

BajaBlanca - 12-14-2020 at 02:18 PM

LIZARD LIPS is such a cool name!

David K - 12-14-2020 at 02:53 PM

Photos of your favorite Nomads (even before there was this Baja Nomad) are at the many get-togethers we had years ago! They are on my website.

Here is Lizard Lips at the Feb. 2002 Viva Baja #3, in Oceanside, CA:

I think Dan is holding a bottle of spirits he donated for one of our many door prizes... Thanks for attending Dan & Pat!

Here are all the Viva Baja #3 photos: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja3/

The other Viva Baja events:
Viva Baja #1 (2000): http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja/ in San Clemente
Viva Baja #2 (2001): http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja2/ in San Clemente
Viva Baja #4 (2003): http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja4/ in Capistrano Beach
Viva Baja Cactus (2006): http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus/index.html in Tijuana

There were spin offs created by those at Viva Baja, like M's BBBB camping parties (4) and Keri's Pyramid Resort Book Signings (6), where you can see Nomads having fun.

lizard lips - 12-15-2020 at 06:36 AM

What an extremely handsome man I am!!!

David K - 12-15-2020 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
What an extremely handsome man I am!!!

Indeed!

Viva Baja is filled with handsome people! LOL

Here is our leader Doug, 'BajaNomad,' just months before creating this forum, in 2002:

Finally sentenced after 12 years...

BajaGringo - 6-14-2023 at 05:21 PM

For those of you who have kept in contact with me over the years, inquiring about the prosecution of the three perps (2 brothers and a half brother) that attacked Cristina and I back in 2011, we were finally notified today that were sentenced to 17 years in prison.

They have been in custody since 2011 and are currently incarcerated in the maximum security wing of El Hongo prison in Tecate.

The sentence seems light but we're extremely grateful for all the support of our family, friends online and the entire community here in San Quintin who helped save our lives, made sure we received good care, watched over our home as we recuperated and continue to support us today.

I also want to thank our Ministereo Publico who prosecuted the case and made sure they stayed in prison all these years while the perps continually attempted to derail the case, over and over - to no avail.

We are both glad to finally close this chapter of our lives and focus on all that is still in front of us - we feel very blessed just to be alive...

Ron & Cris.jpg - 152kB

[Edited on 6-15-2023 by BajaGringo]

chippy - 6-14-2023 at 05:57 PM

Nice :thumbup:

BigOly - 6-14-2023 at 07:35 PM

Bless your hearts!!!

BajaGringo - 6-15-2023 at 05:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
...we were finally notified today that were sentenced to 17 years in prison.

Gratifying, I guess. The whole concept of "justice" is confusing, to say the least.

Does that mean 17 years from now, or completing that period since they were first arrested?

They get credit for time served but before sentencing they get zero credit for good behaviour, meaning that they have anywhere from 2.5 to 5 more years, based on how they behave in prison going forward.

David K - 6-15-2023 at 08:17 AM

Thanks for the update, Ron. Justice sometimes is slow, unfortunately. At least they have been in prison the past many years. You two look well in the photo!

watizname - 6-17-2023 at 07:09 AM

Boy, the wheels of justice do grind slowly. But at least they still grind. I remember this incident well, and have followed all these years. So happy that you and your wife finally got closure, and can now move on. That you guys have continued to live and prosper in Mexico is a tribute to your character, and commitment. I salute you.

surabi - 6-18-2023 at 09:24 AM

"we were finally notified today that were sentenced to 17 years in prison.

They have been in custody since 2011 and are currently incarcerated in the maximum security wing of El Hongo prison in Tecate."

Wow, 12 years until they finally got sentenced. So since they've been incarcerated since 2011, does that mean they get out in 5 years because of time served?

BajaGringo - 6-19-2023 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
"we were finally notified today that were sentenced to 17 years in prison.

They have been in custody since 2011 and are currently incarcerated in the maximum security wing of El Hongo prison in Tecate."

Wow, 12 years until they finally got sentenced. So since they've been incarcerated since 2011, does that mean they get out in 5 years because of time served?

Assuming they have no further incidents while incarcerated, yes.

BajaGringo - 6-19-2023 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by watizname  
Boy, the wheels of justice do grind slowly. But at least they still grind. I remember this incident well, and have followed all these years. So happy that you and your wife finally got closure, and can now move on. That you guys have continued to live and prosper in Mexico is a tribute to your character, and commitment. I salute you.

Probably just too hard headed for my own good but thankfully our little community here at La Chorera is slowly growing and as we get more neighbors and visitors to our local beaches and outdoor seafood restaurants, the overall safety situation here has continued to improve. Cristina was diagnosed with chronic PTSD and it's a challenge at times but overall we are both very thankful just to be alive.

BajaBlanca - 6-19-2023 at 09:41 AM

Sorry about the PTSD. Glad that justice has been done!

Two more years added onto their sentence...

BajaGringo - 3-16-2024 at 08:12 AM

Cristina and I were surprised to receive a message yesterday, asking for us to come to the local courthouse here in San Quintín where we were notified of an update in the case. The attorney from the local Ministereo Publico who prosecuted the case had followed through on his promise to appeal the sentence, feeling like we did, that the 17 years sentence was "light".

We received the decision of the appeals court in Mexicali that the 3 perps were all re-sentenced, given an additional 2 years of prison time, extending their sentence now to nearly 19 years.

Because they had attempted so many legal manueveurs over the years, attempting to wear us down and get us to simply "give up", they only delayed the inevitable.

But they ended up screwing themselves as credit for good behavior only begins AFTER sentencing, meaning they served 12 years in prison with no credit for good behavior which ended up costing them a net 6 additional years of time in prison.

If they had just accepted their guilt from the get-go and allowed the process to run its course without all the delay tactics they would already have been out on the streets a few years ago.

Now they are still at El Hongo prison in Tecate and facing at least a couple more years, even if they behave themselves behind bars.

[Edited on 3-16-2024 by BajaGringo]

pauldavidmena - 3-16-2024 at 08:44 AM

Their well-deserved bad news is your good news. It's nice when that happens!

David K - 3-16-2024 at 09:53 AM

Hopefully this gives you some additional peace of mind. I hope Cristina is doing better with her PTSD.
Thanks for sharing here as some of us are unable to see posts on Facebook.
Be well, Ron.

pacificobob - 3-17-2024 at 12:28 PM

Ptsd... often never goes away.

surabi - 3-17-2024 at 12:57 PM

There are a growing number of psychologists and therapists, based on case studies and scientific research, who have found that using MDMA, commonly known as ecstasy, in a controlled setting, has been successful in treating PTSD when nothing else has worked well.

I just happened to be listening to a podcast about this the other day. Soldiers and police officers, among others, who had been suffering from PTSD for which other therapies had not really significantly changed their symptoms, were talking about how the use of MDMA in their therapy had finally helped more than anything, and quite quickly, with lasting results.

[Edited on 3-17-2024 by surabi]

BajaGringo - 3-18-2024 at 07:52 AM

There are a growing number of psychologists and therapists, based on case studies and scientific research, who have found that using MDMA, commonly known as ecstasy, in a controlled setting, has been successful in treating PTSD when nothing else has worked well.

I just happened to be listening to a podcast about this the other day. Soldiers and police officers, among others, who had been suffering from PTSD for which other therapies had not really significantly changed their symptoms, were talking about how the use of MDMA in their therapy had finally helped more than anything, and quite quickly, with lasting results.

[Edited on 3-17-2024 by surabi]

Thanks for sharing that. Cristina has been diagnosed with chronic PTSD by several different government and private mental health professionals over the years and I have followed many of the new treatments being investigated.

I have read some of the press around using MDMA over the last couple of years and looking at the data, it appears that about a net of 20-25% of patients treated with MDMA improved because of the MDMA. Although the results of the study showed over 70% improved, nearly 50% of those patients who were given a placebo also improved, which tells me that simply giving those suffering from PTSD some hope that some new treatment will help, can play a significant role for about half of the patients.

Having spent the last dozen years of trying so many different drug treatments along with hundreds of hours in therapy for Cristina with some limited improvement that seems to have plateued, I would venture a guess that she is not one of those who can be helped with just "hope".

But I am anxious to see this treatment get approval to find out if maybe she might be one of those in the 20-25% group who is positively impacted by its use.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2023/09/426116/mdmas-latest-trial-...

MDMA for PTSD.JPG - 27kB

[Edited on 3-18-2024 by BajaGringo]

surabi - 3-18-2024 at 10:39 AM

Here is a link to that podcast, if you are interested, BajaGringo. I've heard other podcasts on this- this is the one where a former police officer explains how the MDMA sessions actually worked as far as it unlocking a recognition of where his PTSD feelings and thought processes were coming from so he could successfully address them. After all, two people can experience the same traumatic incident, but one ends up with PTSD and one doesn't, so it isn't just a matter of such and such happened to me so of course I have PTSD. There's more to it than that. And as he says in the interview, it's not a magic pill, it's something that assists in accessing the parts of the brain that can lead to healing.
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-63-the-current/clip/1...

[Edited on 3-18-2024 by surabi]

[Edited on 3-18-2024 by surabi]

BajaGringo - 3-19-2024 at 04:29 PM

Here is a link to that podcast, if you are interested, BajaGringo. I've heard other podcasts on this- this is the one where a former police officer explains how the MDMA sessions actually worked as far as it unlocking a recognition of where his PTSD feelings and thought processes were coming from so he could successfully address them. After all, two people can experience the same traumatic incident, but one ends up with PTSD and one doesn't, so it isn't just a matter of such and such happened to me so of course I have PTSD. There's more to it than that. And as he says in the interview, it's not a magic pill, it's something that assists in accessing the parts of the brain that can lead to healing.
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-63-the-current/clip/1...

Thanks for sharing that. I will translate this for Cristina tonight...

Pages:  1  ..  12    14