BajaNomad

Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14

Woooosh - 9-11-2011 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Along with Pompano, we will offer $1000 to go towards transferring Ron to a facility that can TREAT his injuries, and/or if there is a remote chance of transferring Cristina to a higher level facility.

Count me in for the same. [thank you Roger for getting this ball rolling]

here too.

DianaT - 9-11-2011 at 05:40 PM

Will there be a paypal account?

shari - 9-11-2011 at 05:42 PM

sounds like they really need a good head trauma doctor to see Ron...he cant be moved because of swelling on the brain...it's awful to feel so helpless way out here too...I'm counting on Sirenita to be our eyes and ears on the ground there..the great thing is that her husband's uncle is a doctor there and hopefully can help figure out what needs to be done.

woody with a view - 9-11-2011 at 05:44 PM

you guys are the best.

fdt - 9-11-2011 at 05:45 PM

Any word from Celia at Binational Emergency?
The US Consulate help? Even thou it's sunday they have a number on the web site:
"In case of an after-hours emergency involving U.S. citizens, please contact the Duty Officer. From Mexico dial 001 (619) 692-2154, from the U.S., call (619) 692-2154."

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/service.html

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/service/contact-citizen-servi...

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by fdt]

desertcpl - 9-11-2011 at 05:46 PM

how about Cristina,, can she be moved, she needs to get NOB

shari - 9-11-2011 at 05:51 PM

I believe Ron is a mexican citizen in which case the american consulate help wont apply to him here....still waiting for an update on cristina.

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
how about Cristina,, can she be moved, she needs to get NOB

No one knows at this point, but you're right.

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I believe Ron is a mexican citizen

Never heard that.

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
here too.

OK...we're up to 4Gs. Pretty soon we can have them Leared out.

BajaBlanca - 9-11-2011 at 05:59 PM

I think daughter as well as binational helper Celia should be told that cash is available if they should need it. If hospital has to be paid off right away, this could be helpful.

bajabass - 9-11-2011 at 05:59 PM

If for some reason they do not get both of them evacuated soon, at least try to get them over to Velmar. Dra. Bajabass says it is easily the best qualified hospital in Ensenada. She also is praying for both of them!!

desertcpl - 9-11-2011 at 05:59 PM

but isnt he a duel citizen, as i said before he was born and raised in Long Beach

fdt - 9-11-2011 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I believe Ron is a mexican citizen

Never heard that.

And he gave up his US citizenship? Very unlikely since one can have dual citizenship

BillP - 9-11-2011 at 06:00 PM

I'm amazed and in awe of the Nomads. Y'all rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
If for some reason they do not get both of them evacuated soon, at least try to get them over to Velmar. Dra. Bajabass says it is easily the best qualified hospital in Ensenada. She also is praying for both of them!!

Excellent idea. Velmar has all the talent. Not sure about machinery though.

shari - 9-11-2011 at 06:02 PM

I'm sure he has dual citizenship but when I got my citizenship they explained that while in mexico, I'm mexican so cant call on the canadian consulate for help while in mexico.

hey Bass...maybe your wife can shed some light on how to go about requesting to be transferred to another hospital.

BornFisher - 9-11-2011 at 06:03 PM

This is so horrible on so many levels. About all most of us can do, is pray for their survival. Many thanks to the Nomads who are jumping in here with both feet!

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
one can have dual citizenship

Just like you, amigo.

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'm sure he has dual citizenship but when I got my citizenship they explained that while in mexico, I'm mexican so cant call on the canadian consulate for help while in mexico.

What does it matter? The US Consulate won't do anything anyway. They arn't here for citizens. They're here for business.

BajaBlanca - 9-11-2011 at 06:06 PM

one never gives up American citizenship unless you specifically ask to. you simple ADD another one and become a dual national....

that being said...if you are Mexican you cannot ask the American consulate/embassy for help since you are Mexican when in Mexico. At least this is how it was explained to me.

so:

In the States, you are American and in Mexico, Mexican.

Can we find out if Cristina has permission be moved to another facility ? Who is representing her ???

fandango - 9-11-2011 at 06:06 PM

this situation is unbelievable for ron and cristina.
nomads rock.
i'm in for 500.00

fdt - 9-11-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
one can have dual citizenship

Just like you, amigo.

Yes, and while Shary is right about when in México you are a mexican, you can still go to the US. In this case you are asking to be taken.
It was just a thought. There is still a lot we don't know.

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Can we find out if Cristina has permission be moved to another facility ? Who is representing her ???

Representing her? Nobody...that I know of. She, as I stated earlier, is in grave condition on a ventilator. She won't be moving any time soon.

shari - 9-11-2011 at 06:14 PM

I believe Chava's wife was with Christina while Chava was with ron...sirena will also be checking on her status and giving updates

bajabass - 9-11-2011 at 06:14 PM

Dra. Bajabass relates that you will just need to ask for the transfer, though the bill will need to be covered first. As far as equipment at Velmar, it is the best available, now, in Ensenada.

A few years ago I had a pretty serious problem that required x-ray, ultrasound, a kidney biopsy, and extensive lab/pathology workups. That is the only place she wanted the work done, easily over the 2 hospitals she worked with in Ensenada. They have an MRI, in house, as of her most recent knowledge.

bajabass - 9-11-2011 at 06:18 PM

I also wish to add that this forum and it's members are a very special group of people. A group I am proud to be involved with!!! Wish we were up in La Mision and not La Paz right now. I'd of had Dra. BB there in an hour to help oversee/translate.

oladulce - 9-11-2011 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
sounds like they really need a good head trauma doctor to see Ron...he cant be moved because of swelling on the brain...it's awful to feel so helpless way out here too...I'm counting on Sirenita to be our eyes and ears on the ground there..the great thing is that her husband's uncle is a doctor there and hopefully can help figure out what needs to be done.

Shari, please understand this is not directed towards you or Sirenita:

I was hoping we could work towards arranging for his transfer out of there before they started pulling that crap. I could have told you he has brain swelling from 800 miles away. He made the drive from San Qunitin and sat in their place for hours before they did anything. Transferring him at least provides some options. He needs to be by seen by neuro surgeon in a place with scanning facilities that has an OR ready to take him to surgery- immediately if necessary.

Claiming "he can't be moved" because it might increase his intracranial pressure is ridiculous. He is already critical and he needs treatment, not observation.

I hope his daughter doesn't let them push her around and has someone with medical knowledge to help her with decisions.

AmoPescar - 9-11-2011 at 06:22 PM

Hola Fernando...

6:20pm Pac Time

I have not heard anything more from Celia. Last I heard around 4:30 was a Dr. who works with her was on his way to the hospitals to assess the situation. He may have arrived and still be checking on their conditions. If there is any need to contact ME, I'm sure she will.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I DID let Celia know that if the need was there, that money had been offered to aid in their assistance.

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Any word from Celia at Binational Emergency?
The US Consulate help? Even thou it's sunday they have a number on the web site:
"In case of an after-hours emergency involving U.S. citizens, please contact the Duty Officer. From Mexico dial 001 (619) 692-2154, from the U.S., call (619) 692-2154."

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/service.html

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/service/contact-citizen-servi...

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by fdt]

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Dra. Bajabass relates that you will just need to ask for the transfer, though the bill will need to be covered first. As far as equipment at Velmar, it is the best available, now, in Ensenada.

A few years ago I had a pretty serious problem that required x-ray, ultrasound, a kidney biopsy, and extensive lab/pathology workups. That is the only place she wanted the work done, easily over the 2 hospitals she worked with in Ensenada. They have an MRI, in house, as of her most recent knowledge.

Moving them to Velmar could cost many, many thousands. This has to be thought through because the bill must be paid. This ain't the USA which is maybe where they should be.

AmoPescar - 9-11-2011 at 06:37 PM

Oladulce...

Hopefully...the doctor Celia at BEMCC has asked to assist will be there to see their condition and make an assessment of what to do. Maybe he is there now and is in touch with the
family and/or the other doctors. BEMCC has helped many out in these critical situations and knows what need to be done and how to cut through the red tape and bureaucracy.

Maybe Sirenita can check to see if the Binational Doctor has arrived.

Michael

Quote:
Quote:

Shari, please understand this is not directed towards you or Sirenita:

I was hoping we could work towards arranging for his transfer out of there before they started pulling that crap. I could have told you he has brain swelling from 800 miles away. He made the drive from San Qunitin and sat in their place for hours before they did anything. Transferring him at least provides some options. He needs to be by seen by neuro surgeon in a place with scanning facilities that has an OR ready to take him to surgery- immediately if necessary.

Claiming "he can't be moved" because it might increase his intracranial pressure is ridiculous. He is already critical and he needs treatment, not observation.

I hope his daughter doesn't let them push her around and has someone with medical knowledge to help her with decisions.

AmoPescar - 9-11-2011 at 06:39 PM

Sirenita / Shari

Can you check with someone to see if the Binational Emergency Comm.
Doctor has arrived or been to either hospital yet?

Michael / Miguelamo

Diver - 9-11-2011 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Moving them to Velmar could cost many, many thousands. This has to be thought through because the bill must be paid. This ain't the USA which is maybe where they should be.

You're right, if they're moving him anywhere, it should be to the US, whatever the cost.
Think about who/how/where we can send money fast.

SiReNiTa - 9-11-2011 at 06:40 PM

I might be wrong but I wonder if the cost of moving him to Velmar would only consist of:

1- Paying the bill at Sanatorio del Carmen
2- checking him in to emergency room at Velmar and get a tab going???

I'm no expert so who knows...

Right now i'm waiting for Chava to give me a call to let me know when Ron's daughter gets here,
I'll let you all know as soon as I have more news

redmesa - 9-11-2011 at 06:41 PM

He may not have medical insurance in the U. S.

MikeYounghusband - 9-11-2011 at 06:44 PM

I just got home from work and read the news. God be with both of them. They are good friends and went out of thier way to save my butt when I was stuck in the mountains.
If anyone can confirm that Ron is a Vet and can be seen at the VA let me know. I was offered an ambulance to meet me at the border should I need it and I will make some calls if necessary. My number is 619-663-2060.
God be with my friends.

Mike

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiReNiTa

:lol: Have you ever seen the spinning wheels of a slot-machine? That's what your tab does.
Velmar is as proud of themselves as they are good. Doctors working there don't drive Volkswagons.
Neither do the Janitors.

JESSE - 9-11-2011 at 06:50 PM

Sad news, my prayers go out to them, if theres anything i can do from down here, let me know.

Skipjack Joe - 9-11-2011 at 06:53 PM

OMG, I just saw this. Trying to find how bad it is and where to send money.

SFandH - 9-11-2011 at 06:55 PM

A paypal account needs to be set up. I'll pitch in. Sounds like the bill is already sky high.

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by SFandH]

J.P. - 9-11-2011 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

:lol: Have you ever seen the spinning wheels of a slot-machine? That's what your tab does.
Velmar is as proud of themselves as they are good. Doctors working there don't drive Volkswagons.
Neither do the Janitors.

No they dont drive V.W's my dr. there drives a old 80's modle Mercury and he is a co. owner of the place

BajaBlanca - 9-11-2011 at 07:01 PM

You know, we should set up a paypal account now and if the money isnt needed, it can always be returned. needs to be someone near ensenada, right ???? needs to be someone with wheels, right ??? maybe Sirenita ????

SiReNiTa - 9-11-2011 at 07:08 PM

I'm not too good with finances and would hate for something to go wrong on my watch, i'm glad to help out but handling money is a bit too much responsability for me atm...I hope you understand that I'm not saying no out of selfishness, I do it because I don't want anything to go wrong.
I'm happy to be the wheels tho =)

Woooosh - 9-11-2011 at 07:08 PM

Ron and Cristina have the Mexican health insurance Seguro Popular. In July he posted they both have it in case a catastrophic event should happen.

" Cristina and I both signed up and we pay zero - nada. We do go to local, private doctors for just regular, everyday stuff like my BP medication, back aches, etc. Even paying out of pocket it's quick, cheap and easy.

We mainly keep the seguro popular as a backup for catastrophic care type needs... "

Make the hospital bill Seguro Popular because this is a clinic in their network. That should allow him to be moved without any good-intentioned Nomads being needlessly fleeced.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=54361&pag...

bajabound2005 - 9-11-2011 at 07:10 PM

del carmen is more like nursing home...rehab center. GET THEM OUT OF THERE! Velmar is across the street. You get them to the border, THEY HAVE TO BE TREATED IN ANY US Emergency Room!

bajabass - 9-11-2011 at 07:13 PM

The U.S. is obviously the first choice! If he cannot be moved ASAP, damn the cost, get him to Velmar. Cristina too if needed!!!

BajaBlanca - 9-11-2011 at 07:13 PM

hopefully his daughter is savvy and can handle this. rapido. Sirena, for sure, is savvy enough and should be there advising right about now.

SiReNiTa - 9-11-2011 at 07:16 PM

Blanca as much as I'd love to have been at the hospital I do ha izaak with me 24/7 unfortunately it makes it hard to do things at the drop of a hat.
I've been doing the best I can so far...I'm sorry if it's not enough.

bajabass - 9-11-2011 at 07:21 PM

You are doing fine Sirena!!

AmoPescar - 9-11-2011 at 07:22 PM

Sirenita / Shari / Nomads....

715pm Pac time

I just received another call from Celia with Binational. She said that their doctor contact Dr. Geraldo Lugo has been to both hospitals and is awaiting the daughters arrival.

He has an ambulance standing by for transport. he said they were both in critical condition. nothing can be done until the daughter arrives and signs the paperwork.

Does anyone know if Cristina has US immigration status as Ron's wife? Be sure to find out if Ron is a navy vet too!

Miguelamo

Let me know in case Celia calls again.

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by AmoPescar]

mtgoat666 - 9-11-2011 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar

He has an ambulance standing by for transport. he said they were both in critical condition. nothing can be done until the daughter arrives and signs the paperwork.

that is criminal. the hospital is holding hostages!

tripledigitken - 9-11-2011 at 07:27 PM

This is very sobering. Without a relative to sign off you are stuck in Mexico in spite of having the means to get out??????

Bill Collector - 9-11-2011 at 07:29 PM

Sirena,
You are doing SO good, I am so proud of all that you have been doing.. If I ever need any thing I know I'll be contacting you. You've been a angel making all the calls back and forth..

I have learned so much today. I will be getting all my phone numbers in order, Medical Insurance phone numbers people to contact...It's a been real wake up call for me..

The nomads as a family is very strong.
Barb

SiReNiTa - 9-11-2011 at 07:30 PM

Woot you go man!! TY so much for being the middle man and arranging that!

Chava said he would call when Ron's family arrive but if he doesn't call soon I'll give him a shout and see if he can give me that info, unfortunatly izaak just went down for the night which limits me to doing things from the house until Adrian gets home, but if there is an emergency or i'm needed badly i'll see if i can get a babysitter...

J.P. - 9-11-2011 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Sirenita / Shari / Nomads....

715pm Pac time

I just received another call from Celia with Binational. She said that their doctor contact Dr. Geraldo Lugo has been to both hospitals and is awaiting the daughters arrival.

Does anyone know if Cristina has US immigration status as Ron's wife? Be sure to find out if Ron is a navy vet too!

Miguelamo

More than once Ron has made mention of the fact he was a Nuclear Sub Guy.

AmoPescar - 9-11-2011 at 07:33 PM

Also...

Celia also told me that Dr. Lugo also owns the ambulance company. She said that the last time he transported a severe burn victim it was $1200 dollars and that it included a doctor onboard during the transportation.

FYI..Up until now, Celia has not requested or mentioned money for services. I only found out about the cost when I asked her.

I'm assuming the evac charges would be billed to the family or insurance by the ambulance company.

So hold onto your wallets a bit longer.

Michael

SFandH - 9-11-2011 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Be sure to find out if Ron is a navy vet too!

Miguelamo

Bajagringo said:

"I went through the Navy's nuclear engineering program and qualified as a reactor plant operator (a few moons ago) and have a little bit of experience on the subject."

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35198#pid3680...

I searched his posts for the word "navy".

redmesa - 9-11-2011 at 07:39 PM

From the relatives I have that have used the U.S. vet facilities they had to have a card stating their eligibility. I may be wrong but I have my father-in-laws vet card that he said was very important. Also, would Cristina be covered. They may be better at a hospital in Tijuana.

LancairDriver - 9-11-2011 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Along with Pompano, we will offer $1000 to go towards transferring Ron to a facility that can TREAT his injuries, and/or if there is a remote chance of transferring Cristina to a higher level facility.

Count me in for the same. [thank you Roger for getting this ball rolling]

I'm in for $1,000 also, just need to know how and when to pay.

SiReNiTa - 9-11-2011 at 07:40 PM

Alrighty, just called Chava but no answer on his cell, which makes me think he's busy talking to family or doctors or both? hopefully!

Still standing by for more news...best case scenario would be to be able to get him safely to a U.S. hospital or at least Velmar so that he can be treated, both him and his wife. Let's keep those fingers crossed and those prayers flowing guys!

fdt - 9-11-2011 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

that is criminal. the hospital is holding hostages!

Does'nt sound like they are beeing held hostage. Tob transport someone to the border they would need someone in the family to authorize it.

bajaguy - 9-11-2011 at 07:44 PM

http://www.sharp.com/memorial/emergency-services.cfm

Woooosh - 9-11-2011 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
Be sure to find out if Ron is a navy vet too!

Miguelamo

Bajagringo said:

"I went through the Navy's nuclear engineering program and qualified as a reactor plant operator (a few moons ago) and have a little bit of experience on the subject."

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35198#pid3680...

I searched his posts for the word "navy".

Nice job. So Ron has VA coverage and Mexico health insurance. Bi-National Emergency will know how to get him straight to a VA facility in San Diego. Cristina has the Mexican insurance is all we know so far. She would need to go to a different hospital stateside than the VA I believe. T

This company will know how to handle the details once they know what insurance coverages Ron and Cristina have.

The Bi-National Emergency charges $45 per person per year for a membership to do what this lady is doing.

Pompano - 9-11-2011 at 07:45 PM

Mexican hospitals are pure bullchit for whatever gosh darnn reasons.

I know from experience with wife Felipa when her appendix burst in La Paz... and all the chit I went through to save her life..money talks.

My offer is raised to $2000 USD to anyone that can get these two in need to a US hospital in time to do some good. Screw the gosh darnn rules and regs. Get it done.

SiReNiTa - 9-11-2011 at 07:46 PM

Ok, just talked to Chava who is on his way back to SQ atm, Ron's daughter and her husband have arrived and are at the Sanatorio San Carmen now.
Apparently both Ron and Cristina are stable for the time being thank God. I'm about to call the clinic to see if I ca be of any help by phone since Izaak is in bed...

AmoPescar - 9-11-2011 at 07:46 PM

NOMADS...

Can someone who lives in Baja find this out?

Can we (gringos) have a 'AUTHORIZATION FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT' document that would include authorization to transport you in case the need arises? It would probably have to be a notarized document.

Miguelamo

AmoPescar - 9-11-2011 at 07:58 PM

Nomads / Sirenita...

Anymore word from anyone about whether Cristina might have legal residency status in the US???

She would need that to be able to be taken into the US!

ALSO...
As FDT said 'They are not being held hostage" It's just the way their system is. Now that the daughter has arrived, she can authorize that!

Michael

SiReNiTa - 9-11-2011 at 08:02 PM

Ok...Here's the scoop

I just spoke directly with Christine, Ron's daughter, over the phone, her husband and her are at the hospital.
She told me that both Ron and Cristina are stable and doing much better, Ron did need a blood transfusion but it was only 2 bags, the lady at the desk told me that she would let me know tomorrow if they needed more so we could arrange a donor in order to give them a discount for the final bill.
At this moment they will NOT be moving them, it's a waiting period and the doctors are doing everything they can.
Ron's swelling did go down, so that's great news.

Christine and her husband have already checked in to a hotel but send their thanks to everyone who has been looking out.
I'll check in with her again tomorrow and probably go see hwo they are doing and bring them some food and a computer so that she can let everyone back home know what's up.

She does have my cell number in case they need anything, but she speaks perfect spanish so shes doing great in arranging everything.

Big thanks to all the nomads who pulled together for this effort, I'm super proud to be a part of this family and I feel great being able to help even if it's just a little and knowing that if it were me or my family in a bad position you would all do the same to help us.

I'll let you know if there are any developments, but for now I'm going to relax for the first time all day and have a cup of nice hot tea.

Good night everyone, God bless!!

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Cristina has the Mexican insurance is all we know so far.

Seguro Popular won't get you much. We know that too.

bajalorena - 9-11-2011 at 08:04 PM

John and I had mexican wills drawn up with a notario. In them, we stated who can authorize medical treatment, our directives, distribution of properties or possessions, etc.
Gave us some peace of mind.
My thoughts are with Ron and Cristina.

jbcoug - 9-11-2011 at 08:04 PM

Just returned home from several days away and am shocked by this. My prayers are also with Ron and Cristina! I'm shocked by the horror of what has happened to them and I am shocked by the outpouring of good from fellow nomads. Ron and Cristina have an absolutely incredible support group here. After reading through all of this maybe something positive is finally happening. My prayers will continue as well as financial support as needed. Keep us updated on how and when to provide funds. All of you are absolutely the best!!! This is a team anyone would want behind them.

John

DENNIS - 9-11-2011 at 08:06 PM

Yeah....it's been a long day for everybody.

'Nite all.

David K - 9-11-2011 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Ok...Here's the scoop

I just spoke directly with Christine, Ron's daughter, over the phone, her husband and her are at the hospital.
She told me that both Ron and Cristina are stable and doing much better, Ron did need a blood transfusion but it was only 2 bags, the lady at the desk told me that she would let me know tomorrow if they needed more so we could arrange a donor in order to give them a discount for the final bill.
At this moment they will NOT be moving them, it's a waiting period and the doctors are doing everything they can.

Christine and her husband have already checked in to a hotel but send their thanks to everyone who has been looking out.
I'll check in with her again tomorrow and probably go see hwo they are doing and bring them some food and a computer so that she can let everyone back home know what's up.

She does have my cell number in case they need anything, but she speaks perfect spanish so shes doing great in arranging everything.

Big thanks to all the nomads who pulled together for this effort, I'm super proud to be a part of this family and I feel great being able to help even if it's just a little and knowing that if it were me or my family in a bad position you would all do the same to help us.

I'll let you know if there are any developments, but for now I'm going to relax for the first time all day and have a cup of nice hot tea.

Good night everyone, God bless!!

GREAT NEWS! Thanks Sirena for what you are doing!

24baja - 9-11-2011 at 08:14 PM

Sirenita, your parents have raised you well. I am overwhelmed by the generosity I have seen here today. Please add our good wishes to those of the other Nomads when you next see Ron and Cristina. All the best, Brett & Connie

AmoPescar - 9-11-2011 at 08:14 PM

Well...

That's good news for the moment. Let's hope the doctors who are caring for them know what they are doing and what is BEST FOR THEM!!!

PLEASE KEEP US INFORMED...

My thanks too to all who have helped and a special thanks to Sirenita for all her help...as if caring for a young one wasn't enough!

Let's ALL keep them in our thoughts and if you are so inclined, please say another prayer for Ron and Cristina, their families and for wisdom and skill for the doctors!!

Thanks...Miguelamo / Michael :yes: YES :yes: YES :yes: YES

fdt - 9-11-2011 at 08:19 PM

Sirenita:
Check your U2U, lodging info for Ron's daughter and her husband.
Saludos
Fernando

Paula - 9-11-2011 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Mexican hospitals are pure bullpuckey for whatever gosh darn reasons.

I know from experience with wife Felipa when her appendix burst in La Paz... and all the chit I went through to save her life..money talks.

My offer is raised to $2000 USD to anyone that can get these two in need to a US hospital in time to do some good. Screw the gosh darn rules and regs. Get it done.

I am not questioning your bad experience in La Paz, Roger, but when Don and I had an emergency situation that was dealt with inadequately in Loreto-- Fidepaz came through brilliantly. Great doctors, compassionate care. Further treatment rendered in Guadalajara was also first rate. For every Mexican medical horror story there is an American experience to match it. And vice-versa.

I think that it is in Ron and Cristina's best interest for all of us to stay focused and positive. We have to assume that everyone involved is doing their best in this sad situation-- those who are personally involved and those who are doing their jobs as professionals.

Serenita is doing an amazing job as a switchboard here. She's juggling her home life with the situation, and staying cool, helpful and positive. It's so good that she and Shari and Blanca and others are hands on helping.

Of course we all wish for the best outcome here-- Ron is a good guy, and it is so sad that this horrible thing has happened to him and to Cristina. The best we can do at this point is to keep up with what is happening and to be ready to jump in when there is something we can do to help. It goes without saying that we all care deeply, and most of us would like to do more than is possible at this point.

shari - 9-11-2011 at 08:32 PM

I finally had a good cry to release some pent up stress, anger, worry and now my heart is filled with love & hope tonight for Ron & Cristina and for those of you who are standing by them in their hour of need. Thanks everyone for your cooperation and support...sirenita...you are a good girl, thanks for being there.

ron &n cristina are receiving all those prayers and energy and are responding...keep it up everyone...sleep well my nomad friends....tomorrow is a new day.

SiReNiTa - 9-11-2011 at 08:34 PM

Brilliantly said Paula!

True mexican hospitals are not state of the art, but there are still doctors out there that have passion for saving lives, it's thanks to one of those doctors that I'm alive today.
I know that the doctors that are with Ron now are doing everything they can, and not only for the financial reward.

Bad things happen to good people every day, here, there and everywhere... The best we can do is stay positive and believe that together bit by bit we can make this world a better place for all of us.

Eli - 9-11-2011 at 08:39 PM

My prayers are included in this mass of hopeful thoughts.

BAJACAT - 9-11-2011 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Brilliantly said Paula!

True mexican hospitals are not state of the art, but there are still doctors out there that have passion for saving lives, it's thanks to one of those doctors that I'm alive today.
I know that the doctors that are with Ron now are doing everything they can, and not only for the financial reward.

Bad things happen to good people every day, here, there and everywhere... The best we can do is stay positive and believe that together bit by bit we can make this world a better place for all of us.
Sirenita you are a lady just like your mom, thanks for the help, our prayers are with them...one more time it's shown that this board is alot help in bad situations, and this is a bad situation....thanks to all that when out of their way in helping..

Pompano - 9-11-2011 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Mexican hospitals are pure bullpuckey for whatever gosh darn reasons.

My offer is raised to $2000 USD to anyone that can get these two in need to a US hospital in time to do some good. Screw the gosh darn rules and regs. Get it done.

I am not questioning your bad experience in La Paz, Roger, but when Don and I had an emergency situation that was dealt with inadequately in Loreto-- Fidepaz came through brilliantly. Great doctors, compassionate care. Further treatment rendered in Guadalajara was also first rate. For every Mexican medical horror story there is an American experience to match it. And vice-versa.

I think that it is in Ron and Cristina's best interest for all of us to stay focused and positive. We have to assume that everyone involved is doing their best in this sad situation-- those who are personally involved and those who are doing their jobs as professionals.

Serenita is doing an amazing job as a switchboard here. She's juggling her home life with the situation, and staying cool, helpful and positive. It's so good that she and Shari and Blanca and others are hands on helping.

Of course we all wish for the best outcome here-- Ron is a good guy, and it is so sad that this horrible thing has happened to him and to Cristina. The best we can do at this point is to keep up with what is happening and to be ready to jump in when there is something we can do to help. It goes without saying that we all care deeply, and most of us would like to do more than is possible at this point.

Our experience was vastly different.

I won't say any more about the difference between US and Mexican hospitals.

The main point is that she survived that fiasco. For that fact, I remain eternally grateful to greater powers that were looking out for her.

This focus is on Ron and Cristina.

Err on the side of caution

Skipjack Joe - 9-11-2011 at 09:07 PM

Quote:

This seems suspicious to me. Twelve hours after a head injury and the swelling went down? The swelling should be at it's peak at about this time.

If the head injury was truly as traumatic as it seemed to be I still think Ron should still be taken to a US hospital and have a thorough examination. There can be internal injuries which are not evident.

I know of several cases in peru where patients were released from hospitals after head injuries and collapsed afterwards.

One thing they both have going for them - they're young.

jureal - 9-11-2011 at 09:11 PM

Been away from the computer all day and I found this news about BajaGringo. The outpouring of well wishes and offers of assistance and actual assistance given to Ron and Cristina are absolutely amazing. Bravo to everyone! We will be praying for Ron and Cristinas full recovery and will be keeping an eye on Bajanomad for hopefully more good news. Get well.

grace59 - 9-11-2011 at 09:13 PM

What horrible news! My thoughts and prayers to Ron, Christina and their families!!

windgrrl - 9-11-2011 at 09:24 PM

Paula you are a wise woman. SiReNiTa you are an awesome guardian angel.

Sending thoughts of healing energy and for the best possible outcome to you Ron and your wife Cristina.

BornFisher - 9-11-2011 at 09:26 PM

The worst and best day on Baja Nomad.
Again, thanks to the folks on this board who stepped up. And Gracias for the internet.

Very well said..

Ken Cooke - 9-11-2011 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
The worst and best day on Baja Nomad.
Again, thanks to the folks on this board who stepped up. And Gracias for the internet.

I'm hoping for a fast recovery and that this crime is dealt with properly.

Mulegena - 9-11-2011 at 09:55 PM

Without diagnostics such as a CATscan and MRI it would be impossible to know the extent of a head injury, impossible to definitively know if the intra-cranial pressure had subsided. They are, I'm sure, monitoring his blood pressure and other vital signs which is indicative of his general state. If the hospital to which Ron was transported hasn't these capabilities, he should be moved immediately to one that does for proper, adequate care. This is the bottom line!
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

This seems suspicious to me. Twelve hours after a head injury and the swelling went down? The swelling should be at it's peak at about this time.

If the head injury was truly as traumatic as it seemed to be I still think Ron should still be taken to a US hospital and have a thorough examination. There can be internal injuries which are not evident.

I know of several cases in peru where patients were released from hospitals after head injuries and collapsed afterwards.

One thing they both have going for them - they're young.

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by Mulegena]

RichBaja - 9-11-2011 at 10:07 PM

Someone in the area may want to watch Ron's house. This news will travel fast and everyone in the area (good and bad) will know who the "gringo" is and where he lives. The low life entrepreneurs will see an opportunity.

Ken Cooke - 9-11-2011 at 10:10 PM

Hopefully, Cristina's family will set up residence in Ron/Cristina's home. Ron told me that her family is from San Quintin, so I'm hoping that they move in temporarily.

JESSE - 9-11-2011 at 10:11 PM

I would second the advice of getting further tests after being released from any medical facility in Mexico you don't know well. The costs of seeing another doctor to confirm everything is ok is well worth it.

JESSE - 9-11-2011 at 10:28 PM

I did a little research regarding laws concerning medical transports. It appears 1st responders can pretty much go anywhere they want without any authorization from anybody. But AFTER an ambulance leaves you at a hospital or clinic, theres pretty strict laws regarding transfers from HOSPITAL to HOSPITAL.

The basic rules are:

1.-Name of the patient
2.-Name of the doctor who will receive the patient at the receiving hospital
3.-Written autorization by patient or family members
4.-Initial emergency tests, diagnosis, and actions taken

It appears if the medical facility or doctor moves the patient without consent from family or patient, and the patient dies, they are legally liable and responsible.

willyAirstream - 9-11-2011 at 10:28 PM

My thoughts prayers go out to Ron and Cristina. May this all work out for a full recovery.
As Ron is a Vet he can use DAV services. Disabled American Veterans. This is a volunteer organization whose sole purpose is to transport any vet to a VA hospital. These folks go the extra mile and will get it done. They have vans and ambulances and can possibly arrange for a doc on board. It is a free service for all vets. There numbers and emails are here http://www.dav.org/volunteers/documents/HSCDirectory.pdf
You only need Rons full name and last 4 of his SS # to prove he is a vet for DAV and VA hospitals.

Great job SiReNiTa and high five to all Nomads - what a fantastic community.

BajaNomad - 9-11-2011 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Anymore word from anyone about whether Cristina might have legal residency status in the US???
Don't know what her actual U.S. status is, but can tell you I first met both Ron and Cristina (in-person) in San Diego when they were passing through on their way north to see family (I believe) one time.

fwiw

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by BajaNomad]

Mulegena - 9-11-2011 at 11:00 PM

Is it known why the facility at which Ron is being cared was chosen for initial transport?
Is this hospital the most appropriate to provide diagnostics and care for his needs?
His well-being, dianosis, treatment and recovery is the bottom line.

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I did a little research regarding laws concerning medical transports. It appears 1st responders can pretty much go anywhere they want without any authorization from anybody. But AFTER an ambulance leaves you at a hospital or clinic, theres pretty strict laws regarding transfers from HOSPITAL to HOSPITAL.

The basic rules are:

1.-Name of the patient
2.-Name of the doctor who will receive the patient at the receiving hospital
3.-Written autorization by patient or family members
4.-Initial emergency tests, diagnosis, and actions taken

It appears if the medical facility or doctor moves the patient without consent from family or patient, and the patient dies, they are legally liable and responsible.

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by Mulegena]

fdt - 9-11-2011 at 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Is it known why the facility at which Ron is being cared was chosen for initial transport?

As for details like this, very little is known. We don't even know who transported them, police, Cruz Roja, private party?

BajaNomad - 9-12-2011 at 01:08 AM

Lots of positive thoughts for Ron, Cristina, and the family members who have much to manage and consider at this difficult time.

cristina-ron-2.jpg - 21kB

Pompano - 9-12-2011 at 04:11 AM

Ron truly has a heart of gold and I know just how much he loves Cristina. To show his immense character and love of his fellow man I share this email with you. It speaks volumes about the man.

He wrote to me at a time when I was in a blue funk.

Subject: Thanks Roger...
To: bajaroger
Date: Tuesday, 2011, 8:23 AM

Life is a mixed bag and sometimes it just seems to hit us below the belt at times - often when we are least prepared. My friend, I am very sorry and hope your circumstances and perspective soon change for the better. Wishing you only the best in life Roger and I thank you for all the wonderful stories and photos you have shared with us over these past years. Many of those have inspired much of the effort and resources I have put into building a similar life for Cristina and I here on our little remote part of this peninsula.

Even if we don't see you posting, you will not be forgotten. Thanks again my friend...

Ron

Well, that's the kind of guy we all love. I re-read this often. His letter still inspires me to think and do more for others ..and not dwell on personal woes.

My thanks, Ron...godspeed you to Cristina's side and a long life together. You are a survivor...beat this.

BajaBlanca - 9-12-2011 at 05:41 AM

good morning everyone. Hopefully Cristine and her husband know a little about head injuries - one has to become educated to know the extent of damage and the future conseguences which can be severe.

If they have a computer, perhaps show them the Baja Nomad site so they can see how we are all begging for Ron to be examined by the best and only the best.

It would be nicve to hear more about how Cristina is doing. Sounds like she is Ron's Life and we must make sure she is getting the best of the best care as well :)

We will be gone all morning, but leave a message on my phone if there is anything I can do.

This is indeed, in times of need, one amazing community that I am VERY proud to be a part of. If we all took that liitle or big extra step to help our fellow human - maybe this tragedy would not have happened in the first place.

Thanks Sirenita for going that extra mile !! and all the others who did their part...

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14