BajaNomad

GIFT THE BOOK: 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' by Mike Humfreville

David K - 11-28-2011 at 07:12 PM

>>> EDIT: DEC. 2013:

Book now $12.50 includes postage to U.S.addresses.
Send check or money order to:

M & E BOOKS
P.O. BOX 20121
EL CAJON, CA 92021

Include a note saying which book you want, as M&E is the publisher of The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California.

<<<

Here is the book's fact sheet from the publisher:

Sunbelt is no longer distributing the book. In fact, I saved as many cases as I could fit in my truck before they shredded all they had... (I saved about half of them). Mike put so much into his writing, I wanted to preserve his work just a tad longer!

Mary Ann authorized me to receive them from Sunbelt about a year ago when Sunbelt wanted to clear out a warehouse. Since Mike died soon after the book was published, he was not able to perform the promotion of his book and it just wasn't moving in these poor Mexico travel/ bad economic times.

Here is what I saved (each case holds 50), in my garage:

Mary Ann came by and was able to take just over half of them down to Bahia de los Angeles (where they are for sale at the museum)... She said I could do whatever I wished with the rest, including selling or giving... I gave a lot... about 250 copies. I have 4 cases still.

Mary Ann and I, last April at my house when she picked up about 10 cases of the books:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the deal... the books retailed for $17.95.
Now $12.50 and that includes tax, shipping expenses, and U.S. mail charge

Mike Humfreville was a great amigo here on Nomad and the former Amigos de Baja. I know he would be pleased that I saved so many of his books and have given 800 of the 1000 I saved from the shredder to Mary Ann and a couple of Baja businesses that will use them for promotional activities, etc.

Most of Mike's Internet postings have been saved on Fred Metcalf's site here (fun reading):

http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/Correspondents/BajaWithMik...

Here are a few photos of Mike:

July, 2001 Cielito Lindo: Earle (of Amigos de Baja), Paulina, Mike Humfreville, & Eric (of Amigos de Baja).

July 4, 2001 Las Flores

Sept. 2002, Cielito Lindo, Bedman Photo

Feb. 2004, Azufre Wash to Valle Chico, Bob H Photo

Oct. 2005, Bahia de los Angeles

I last saw Mike in May, 2006 at the Pyramid Resort Book Signing, where he was finally able to have his own book to sign!

Thank you...

[Edited on 9-22-2017 by David K]

Oddjob - 11-30-2011 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Any interest in these, let me know?

Amazon has the book for 6.99, so you may need to lower your price.

David K - 11-30-2011 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddjob
Quote:

OK, thanks... but, maybe they don't have it because the publisher no longer does? How much does Amazon add for tax and shipping (which is included in my price)? I just picked $10 + $5 for shipping/tax whatever as a round number.

EDIT: now $12.50 and no added tax or shipping.

[Edited on 9-22-2017 by David K]

bufeo - 11-30-2011 at 08:36 AM

David, your price is fair. I'll take one. Send me a U2U with mailing info.

Allen R

DENNIS - 11-30-2011 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddjob
Quote:

I think that's a Kindle edition. They don't seem to have a print edition available.
They do, however, list some outside sellers with new editions for near that price plus shipping. No tax. Shipping cost for books from outside vendors is usually very nominal with Amazon.

David K - 11-30-2011 at 09:01 AM

Yup, I rescued all the remaining print copies I could fit in my truck and space in my garage, and the other 1000 copies were destroyed. Mary Ann was able to take about half of the copies... I gave a lot away to places that would give out the book as promotional gifts or whatever... My goal was that Mike's work could be enjoyed by as many of his Baja friends as possible.

I am in a real financial crunch, so I am selling the remaining 200 copies I still have as a 'reward' for my efforts to save the books from the shredder. So far, I have sold only one... maybe the Nomad friends of Mike Humfreville already have a copy, but the new Nomads may want to collect it or some may wish to gift it?

Thank you.

edit to fix the spelling of shredder, thank you mulege michael

[Edited on 12-1-2011 by David K]

bufeo - 11-30-2011 at 09:13 AM

Check's in the mail, DK. (Or, rather, it's on the way to the P.O.) :)

Allen R

tripledigitken - 11-30-2011 at 10:00 AM

My favorite baja themed book. Everyone interested in Baja would enjoy these stories. Mike had a wonderful way with words.

Good luck with the sale.

Ken

The Wonderer - 11-30-2011 at 11:36 AM

David,

I'm going to follow Allen R. and take 2 copies. U2U me the info.

Stuart

bufeo - 11-30-2011 at 11:55 AM

Hey Stuart. I tried sending you a U2U (had no trouble with another one earlier today) but twice it said "Sent" but doesn't show up in the "Outbox".

Allen R

mulegemichael - 12-1-2011 at 12:48 PM

hey mister spelling cop, you might want to look up how to spell "shredding"...you've spelled it several different ways on this post.

bufeo - 12-10-2011 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Okay gang, the first books oredered went out today (Texas, Idaho, Washington and California)...

I can vouch for the fact that one destined for Idaho arrived this a.m. The book is in fine shape, however the envelope was torn in two places and one corner of the book (about an inch or so) was left exposed. No damage to the book though.

Thank you, David, for the prompt S&H.

It will be a good read this evening sitting in front of the fire with a glass of port (outside temp currently is 18ºF).

Allen R

David K - 12-10-2011 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for the report Allen... Glad the book arrived undamaged... If it had, I would happily give you another when ever you pass this way heading to Baja. I have sold 8 so far with u2u messages that 3 more orders are coming in... I have over 200 available and they need a good home!:biggrin:

Folks, for the holidays or anyday, get your order in or stop by my house as one new Nomad did the other day and got his copy.

bufeo - 12-10-2011 at 11:03 AM

I wasn't complaining. Just wanted you to know that perhaps the envelope is a bit light weight for mailing the book. If others receive their copies in good order, just disregard my comment. After all, Idaho is rough country. :D

Allen R

David K - 12-10-2011 at 11:11 AM

No worries... those books were sent out from a Mail Boxes Etc. store, by my house, and while the shipping was supposed to be close to the $5 estimate, it was closer to $6 using that envelope... A bubble wrap would have been more. The store owner said a lot of books are sent the way he prepped mine, so I went with his recommendation. Naturally, I will tell him it was exposed getting to Idaho! The Northern California Nomad got his in 2 days and there was no damage to the envelope. I haven't heard back from the Texas Nomad. :light:
Thanks again!

Bob and Susan - 12-10-2011 at 11:35 AM

david... http://www.usps.com

print the label there and get free delivery conformation
the post office also gives you FREE boxes

going to mailboxes etc (the ups store) is like going to your neighbor to mail your stuff...you got to pay a extra fee

they probably mailed it media (4th class) mail
and NO box?

David K - 12-10-2011 at 12:14 PM

I had several books and while I knew that if I took the time and it wasnt 4:50 in the afternoon, I could get in that line of about 35 people leading up to 2 clerks (at a desk for 5), I could save a little.

At that time, I wanted to get the books out (and help a small business just a little)... There was no line, the store owner did all the work, and I had tracking on each.

If I get a bunch of orders, then maybe... but for just 4 seperate shipments (of 7 books total), the small store was okay.

However, thank you very much for the suggestion... I will check it out!

Bob and Susan - 12-10-2011 at 12:18 PM

remember you dont have to go to the postoffice...

you order the shipping boxes online
they deliver them free

you print mailing lables on your computer and tape on the box

postage comes out of the computer too

its too easy:light:

David K - 12-10-2011 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
remember you dont have to go to the postoffice...

you order the shipping boxes online
they deliver them free

you print mailing lables on your computer and tape on the box

postage comes out of the computer too

its too easy:light:

Really? Very cool! Why does anyone suffer at the post office with those lines then?

Bob and Susan - 12-10-2011 at 12:22 PM

its a cultural thing for americans:lol:

BAJACAT - 12-11-2011 at 07:58 PM

bought mine from mary Ann, @ the pyramid book event, great book.
Good luck on the sale DK..

David K - 12-14-2011 at 03:04 PM

There is still time to get your Christmas orders in and have them shipped in time for Christmas!

Plenty available! Let Mike Humfreville bring his humor and colorful Baja observations to you with his book! For you Canadian Nomads, that's 'colourful'!

u2u for address to send check or email info*at*vivabaja.com subject: "Baja Book"

Books are shipped out upon receipt of your check (I trust you)!

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

[Edited on 12-14-2011 by David K]

Islandbuilder - 12-14-2011 at 11:33 PM

Received my copy yesterday, and am 50 pages into it already. A snap shot of a time gone by. Is there anyplace an adventurous soul can live like this today?
Thanks David K, for saving the story and sharing it with us.

Great Reads!

El Vergel - 12-15-2011 at 07:50 AM

Hi DK! I'll take 5. One 4 me to fall asleep to while hangin' mi casita de baja, three for stocking stuffers....and one for the common Library at the Hotel in which I reside. I'm sure the residents and recipients will enjoy the reading. U2U on the way!

Best regards and Happy Holiday Season to all!

David K - 12-16-2011 at 02:01 PM

I look forward to getting Mike's books sent out... Over on TalkBaja forums, Ron (Baja Gringo) had a very nice review...

My mail gets in about 3-4 pm. I can get the books sent out the same day if I am not working... and I already did some work this morning. ;D

rubencastillo - 12-20-2011 at 10:49 PM

Real nice book David, Once i started, was hard to put down,Thank's for having time to chat with me a coulpe of weeks ago. Happy Holidays..:tumble:

David K - 12-21-2011 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rubencastillo
Real nice book David, Once i started, was hard to put down,Thank's for having time to chat with me a coulpe of weeks ago. Happy Holidays..:tumble:

Thank you for dropping in, very nice to meet you! It is fun to meet others who share your enthusiam for Baja... Viva Baja!

David K - 1-6-2012 at 06:35 PM

Many books were sent out and the reviews have been positive... Mike would be happy!

I still have plenty and will ship as soon as I receive your order!

Those of you who read it, please post a review!

Thanks and Happy 2012!

Islandbuilder - 1-6-2012 at 06:53 PM

Loved the book! My wife is reading it now, and is engaged like I was.

A sort of Swiss Family Robinson life, with less resources and no water. Where in the world is that sort of thing possible today?

Thank you for saving these books, and for sharing this amazing story with us.

David K - 1-7-2012 at 01:16 AM

Great that you are enjoying it... please spread the word!

Skipjack Joe - 1-13-2012 at 06:22 PM

Woooo Hoooo! Mine just arrived.

marv sherrill - 1-13-2012 at 07:33 PM

If you have ever beach camped in the Bay of LA area, you will enjoy Mike's book - lots of history about the local people that are still living and working
in BOLA. I have read it a couple of times already since getting it from Mike years ago.
A must have book for everyone's Baja Book collection!!!!

David - If I can get some I will sell them to my friends for you - I'm heading to Ensenada next wed - maybe we can meet on my way back !!!

For anyone else contemplating writing a book go to iuniverse for print on demand and not have this "leftover" problem!!

David K - 1-14-2012 at 12:06 PM

Thanks Marv, I do believe that the book is at the museum and Mary Ann has plenty (she picked up from me here in Oceanside). However, if you are talking about north of the border sales, then great... stop on by my house or I will come up to Dana Point. Thank you!

marv sherrill - 1-14-2012 at 10:01 PM

Yes I mean in the states - we always have a couple of Baja get togethers before spring break - If you are up this way give me a call.

David K - 1-15-2012 at 04:34 PM

OK, maybe u2u me your number and anytime you have 15 minutes passing through Oceanside, call me... I am along Hwy. 76 near the mission.

angels4 - 3-2-2012 at 12:32 PM

David,
I will order one of your books. Let me know if the price is still $15 including shipping. If price has gone up or down :biggrin: let me know in the U2U.
Thank you,
Laura

angels4 - 3-3-2012 at 08:03 PM

Thank you David. I just sent you a U2U. I look forward to reading the book.
Laura

makana.gabriel - 3-3-2012 at 09:42 PM

Hey David,
Just saw this thread. I would also like a copy. Will send you my info on U2U.
Thanks!

bajajudy - 3-4-2012 at 07:55 AM

If anyone is around San Jose, we still have some copies too!

David K - 3-4-2012 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
If anyone is around San Jose, we still have some copies too!

Great to hear Judy... and check with me if you run out, if I still have a case or more...

In Bahia de los Angeles, get them at the museum or if you run into Mary Ann...

Bug - 3-5-2012 at 08:48 AM

Hey David k,

Do you have a paypal account, this is a great way for me.

angels4 - 3-5-2012 at 08:59 AM

David,
If you have Paypal, I can also send you the funds via Paypal. It will be faster. Let me know today, if not I'll just send you a check.
Thanks,
Laura

angels4 - 3-5-2012 at 09:04 AM

No problem... Will send it via "snail mail" :lol::lol:
Joke aside, it should only take a couple of days tops for you to get my payment. Thanks and have a great day!

David K - 3-5-2012 at 09:14 AM

OK thanks... I will mail the book to you today!

Mula - 4-4-2012 at 06:20 PM

We are coming your way in a couple of weeks to a month and will get ahold of you when we will be in your area.

Thanks, David.

David K - 4-4-2012 at 06:23 PM

Look forward to meeting!

woody with a view - 4-4-2012 at 06:59 PM

we'll be in bahia 4-30 to 5-4 so i'll grab a couple copies at the museum. hopefully she or the museum gets the proceeds!

woody with a view - 4-4-2012 at 07:28 PM

well see how it goes. i don't know her and would feel weird pulling up for some books, talking for 10 minutes and bailing to continue my short time in the bay.

tripledigitken - 4-4-2012 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
we'll be in bahia 4-30 to 5-4 so i'll grab a couple copies at the museum. hopefully she or the museum gets the proceeds!

Woody,

It would be a real treat reading that book while in Bahia. It is such a great read!

Talking with Mike H. at the Pyramid book signing shortly before his death is a memory I won't soon forget.

Ken

woody with a view - 4-4-2012 at 07:49 PM

:saint: RIP Mike!

David K - 4-4-2012 at 11:33 PM

Woody, she would enjoy meeting you... Ask at the museum or I can email her (she reads Nomad) and see if there is a point to meet or time, in town.

vacaenbaja - 4-5-2012 at 11:28 AM

Ah if we were only all together at a Baja Palapa Bar!
"Heres to absent friends" To the many fine Nomads that
have passed on. Salud!

24baja - 4-5-2012 at 12:45 PM

I just want to say to those of you who have not read this book, please do so. It is a captivating story and Mike really brings BOLA to life. Maryann is a very nice lady and I have enjoyed talking with her in BOLA.

We wish that we had found BOLA in the early days, we are so in love with the area and the people, we can not wait to retire there. Happy reading!!

EnsenadaDr - 12-21-2012 at 04:52 PM

DAvid I have a question, I belonged to South of the Border Mex yahoo groups a while back, was this author the same guy who wrote the book? And what happened to the group? It just disappeared.

David K - 12-21-2012 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
DAvid I have a question, I belonged to South of the Border Mex yahoo groups a while back, was this author the same guy who wrote the book? And what happened to the group? It just disappeared.

The author was the late Mike Humfreville, a major contributor of colorful stories of actual events and adventures in Baja. The book covers two major adventures, mainly at Bahia de los Angeles... before and after children arrived to double their family. Mike's wife, Mary Ann still lives at Bahia de los Angeles to this day... we visited with her last July. Mike passed away in Baja the first week of November of 2006, at the hospital, in San Quintin, where he was taken from L.A. Bay after air rescue informed them it was too late in the day to fly there.

I don't know about the Yahoo group and I don't think Mike posted many other places than here and the former Amigos de Baja at BajaNet.com. Mike's stories are all saved on Fred Metcalf's Baja Message Board links.

[Edited on 12-22-2012 by David K]

Uh oh

Howard - 12-21-2012 at 05:32 PM

Happy holidays to all

I hope you correct the typo before David see it as he is the director and chief C.E.O. of typographical errors and spelling on this board! :biggrin:

If he has seen it and not chastised you he must be in a good holiday mood! :lol:

Happy holidays to all

Howard

:lol:

[Edited on 12-22-2012 by Howard]

jeans - 12-22-2012 at 12:56 PM

I bought the book from Mike at Discover Baja's Christmas party when it first came out. I gave it to my mom and then a sister took it. It was almost a year later when I picked it up to read it...He had me blubbering by the end of the first page and I thought...."Mike, you're such a putz" (a term of endearment) and I made a mental note to tell him I finally read it.

When I got home and back to the board, I saw that he had died the day I picked up his book to read it....I still get chills thinking about that.

David K - 12-22-2012 at 01:07 PM

We all had a lot of fun with Mike. Miss him being around.

JohnK - 2-22-2013 at 08:00 PM

David: Is Mike's book still available? Where do I send the check?

David K - 2-22-2013 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnK
David: Is Mike's book still available? Where do I send the check?

I have plenty!

I will u2u my address to you...

David K - 4-12-2013 at 05:57 PM

I still have plenty of copies of Mike's great Baja story book... drop me a u2u if you would like one. These are brand new, in the case, from the publisher...
Thank you!

tripledigitken - 12-5-2013 at 11:53 AM

That's a great book and should be in any Baja library!

RIP Mike you are missed.

David K - 12-15-2013 at 02:03 PM

Please include a note or note the check what book you want... Volcano Book or Mission Book, so my partner in El Cajon gets the right one to you!

seanmiller - 9-22-2017 at 04:29 AM

If there is a site that does ecommerce shipping for the book I would definitely buy it.

David K - 9-22-2017 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by seanmiller  
If there is a site that does ecommerce shipping for the book I would definitely buy it.

There is no added shipping or tax charges for the book, $12.50 includes it all, tax, shipping, handling, and the great book! Paypal/ credit card or check: http://www.oldmissions.com/ (scroll down to see the book listing).

BigBearRider - 9-22-2017 at 09:04 AM

Ordered. Exceedingly easy with paypal.

David K - 9-22-2017 at 01:13 PM

There are other books from M&E BOOKS at that link, also.
Thank you!