BajaNomad

Dark, Lonely and Luring

DianaT - 12-6-2011 at 08:16 PM

A lonely California Beach and the Cold Dark and Drippy Redwoods. The Old Growth areas are the best.

edited---decided I liked this processing better.

[Edited on 12-14-2011 by DianaT]

BajaBlanca - 12-6-2011 at 08:34 PM

Diana - those are truly beautiful photos.

tripledigitken - 12-6-2011 at 09:22 PM

Love that part of the world.

Thanks

pre-Christmas Road Trip

Mulegena - 12-6-2011 at 11:04 PM

You two really treat yourselves well.

Good for you, and thanks for sharing your fine photography.

Barry A. - 12-6-2011 at 11:20 PM

Your photos just keep getting better and better, Diana.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Barry

Eli - 12-7-2011 at 03:23 AM

Beautiful photos Diana, thanks for sharing your journey.

Cypress - 12-7-2011 at 04:02 PM

DianaT, Thanks.

Iflyfish - 12-7-2011 at 04:05 PM

Wow, gorgeous!! Thanks

Iflyfish

Russ - 12-7-2011 at 04:28 PM

Those are really fine shots!

Baja12valve - 12-7-2011 at 04:41 PM

Those nice pictures could be taken in about 100 places in California. Give us a hint. As a blind guess, Butano State Park, but you may be more North. In that case, I will start with Julia Pfeiffer State Park, then up to Mendocino.

bacquito - 12-7-2011 at 05:46 PM

Just great, thanks

Natalie Ann - 12-7-2011 at 06:51 PM

You're right, Diane, those old growth places are the best!
Going through your photos brings to mind the wonderful smell of the redwood forest.
gracias

nena

[Edited on 12-8-2011 by Natalie Ann]

woody with a view - 12-7-2011 at 07:05 PM

Diane, what camera are you using? i'm looking for a new camera and your pics are fairly awesome!

DianaT - 12-7-2011 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
Those nice pictures could be taken in about 100 places in California. Give us a hint. As a blind guess, Butano State Park, but you may be more North. In that case, I will start with Julia Pfeiffer State Park, then up to Mendocino.

THANK YOU all for the nice comments. We are having a good time----more to come, maybe not in order.

I guess I should have said where we were as you are correct---there are so many places we could have been!

The beach picture was at Humbolt Lagoons State Park south of Orick.

The last two pictures were taken in the Lady Bird Johnson Grove north of Orick----

I am sorry, but I don't remember exactly which canyon we were driving up when I took the second picture. I need to take notes!

Woody, my camera is a Canon 40D----but I think that series is up to 60D or maybe 70D now. And John is using an older Canon RebelXT --and we have more lenses than we should. :biggrin:

Again, thanks for looking and commenting. It is appreciated

[Edited on 12-8-2011 by DianaT]

Ken Bondy - 12-7-2011 at 08:03 PM

Fabulous images Diane!!!!

Skipjack Joe - 12-7-2011 at 08:23 PM

Those redwood groves are great. Thank you for reminding me to not take them for granted.

danaeb - 12-8-2011 at 10:08 AM

For those of you who love the redwoods, or even those who love a good read here's a great book:

The Wild Trees

http://www.richardpreston.net/books/wt.html

[Edited on 12-8-2011 by danaeb]

Baja12valve - 12-8-2011 at 10:56 AM

Great pictures, but they are not of "old growth" redwoods. In the last one you can see the stump of the "old growth". What we are now seeing is secondary or even third growth trees. "Old growth" trees are just enormous. I am not meaning to detract from the picture of beauty, just a bit of clarification.

Beauty

El Vergel - 12-8-2011 at 01:30 PM

Wow! Nice stuff! What a wonderful walk in the woods that must have been! Thank you for the awesome imagery.

Baja12valve - 12-8-2011 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb

The Wild Trees

http://www.richardpreston.net/books/wt.html

Now THOSE are OLD GROWTH!!!!

Mexitron - 12-8-2011 at 03:40 PM

Beautiful Diane!

DianaT - 12-8-2011 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
Great pictures, but they are not of "old growth" redwoods. In the last one you can see the stump of the "old growth". What we are now seeing is secondary or even third growth trees. "Old growth" trees are just enormous. I am not meaning to detract from the picture of beauty, just a bit of clarification.

Yes, you are correct---there is some old growth in the Lady Bird Johnson Grove, but not where those pictures were taken.

I guess I should have been a little clearer. When I said that a walk through the old growth areas is the best, it did sound like those pics were taken in the old growth area and that is not what I intended.

Thank you for the chance to clarify. :yes:

And for anyone who has not been to the Redwoods in the north, they really are something to see. Even when we lived in that area, we never tired of walking through the redwoods.

Cypress - 12-8-2011 at 07:58 PM

An old growth tree of any species is a treasure.;D

vgabndo - 12-9-2011 at 01:03 AM

Diana...what fun. My stompin grounds. Nice images! My father was Chief Ranger at Prairie Creek Redwoods when the Lady Bird Grove was dedicated. My mother named the trail they built there for blind people the "Inspiration Trail". Blind folks could safely follow a rail with braille explanations of where to feel and what they were feeling. Cool.

I don't often praise him, but my old man hired the first female seasonal park aides for Cal. B and P at Prairie Creek.

My childhood was all wet to the knees and Skunk Cabbage. Humboldt boy.

"Don't complain, camp in the rain" Enjoy!

DianaT - 12-10-2011 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Diana...what fun. My stompin grounds. Nice images! My father was Chief Ranger at Prairie Creek Redwoods when the Lady Bird Grove was dedicated. My mother named the trail they built there for blind people the "Inspiration Trail". Blind folks could safely follow a rail with braille explanations of where to feel and what they were feeling. Cool.

I don't often praise him, but my old man hired the first female seasonal park aides for Cal. B and P at Prairie Creek.

My childhood was all wet to the knees and Skunk Cabbage. Humboldt boy.

"Don't complain, camp in the rain" Enjoy!

Good for your father! When we lived up there every one used to say if you don't like the weather, stick around for another 1/2 hour as it is apt to change. It is such a special part of CA.

Barry A. - 12-11-2011 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
------ My father was Chief Ranger at Prairie Creek Redwoods when the Lady Bird Grove was dedicated. My mother named the trail they built there for blind people the "Inspiration Trail". Blind folks could safely follow a rail with braille explanations of where to feel and what they were feeling. Cool.

Vag-----As a side note-----I am not sure what "Cal. B and P" is (California Parks and Recreation???) but I found it interesting that your Dad hired the first female seasonal Park Ranger at Prairie Creek-----------When I was the Chief Ranger for the southern branch of the CA Desert Program with BLM (Bureau of Land Management) in El Centro, I hired the first female permanent Ranger in BLM, and she went on to retire as the Special Agent In Charge of the State of Oregon & Washington for BLM-------I was pretty proud of that, also. We remain friends to this day.

There are many more female Rangers today, but it was good to be part of getting the trend started (I think?) :lol:

Barry