BajaNomad

Crossing Over

psmithsr - 9-25-2004 at 09:23 AM

We're driving our RV to Bahia de Los Angeles soon (to Camp Gecko). We've been to Estero Beach RV Park & Resort (a bit south of Ensenada) before and plan on staying there a night before heading south.

We had planned to cross at Tecate but are now wondering if we should cross at Tijuana?

We also wonder if we should park our RV on the USA side, walk over to get tourist card, then drive RV over?

No ATMs in BOLA. I assume we can park RV on Mexico side and easily find a bank to get pesos. Any idea of how many pesos per month (with little RV driving)? Or are US$ all we really need?

best, paul

David K - 9-25-2004 at 10:34 AM

That is a lot of walking! The return to the U.S. is on the opposite side of the border lanes.

Just drive in, stay in right (Something to Declare Lane), park in covered area, tell officers that you need tourist cards and nothing to declare, and may you please park there... walk to the offices facing the parking area, go into room labled INM. Ask for 6 month tourist card (unless you are staying a week or less then it's free), take forms to bank teller pay ~$20 ea. it's almost next door, go back to INM for final stamp... You are on your way! Southbound, Tijuana crossing is faster than driving all the way to Tecate! The only advantage to a Tecate detour was shorter waits northbound, but that is no longer the case, IMO.

You may already know this Paul, but for others...

Follow signs for: Playas de Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, Scenic Road, 1-D. You will be making a right hand exit ahead from up on the bridge, nearing the coast stay in left lane for Ensenada, Playas de Tijuana is the right lane, then it is easy.

THERE is NO checking for tourist cards in all of Baja Norte, and only at the state border on Hwy. 1, in Baja Sur.

You can use the ATM at the third toll booth to buy pesos at bank rates (I have never done this, but is often mentioned here). Dollars are accepted everywhere, bring calculator... but it is less confusing to use pesos (11.5 to 1, now). Otherwise, before you leave for Mexico, order pesos from your bank, or Bank of America. Gasoline will be your biggest expense, or sport fishing trips.

Top off fuel at El Rosario (plastic accepted!), all gas beyond is iffy... but I have never been stuck. Gas is sold in Catavina (Pemex pump or Alfonso cans, 76 mi. from Rosario), the turnoff to Bahia de L.A. (from cans) 60 miles further, in Bahia at two places (private pump and from trailered tank) 176 mi. from Rosario. Pemex gas is near $2/gal. and private vendors sell near $3/gal.

Camp Gecko is 4.1 miles south of the pavement at Bahia de los Angeles. IF you don't want to thrash your RV, take it real slow.. It is graded, but still rough on a big rig. http://www.campgecko.com Say hi to Mike Humfreville, who will be there with Mary Ann for a bit...:yes:

[Edited on 9-25-2004 by David K]

David.....

Debra - 9-25-2004 at 11:39 AM

I think you meant 60 Kilometers not miles from the cut off into Bahia.

thebajarunner - 9-25-2004 at 11:52 AM

the tour buses park curbside right in front of the visa office, no reason why you cannot do so as well.
never thought about this on pesos, but I bet if you are stuck they will change for $$ at the El Rosario Pemex (owned by Baja Cactus)

Baja Arriba!!

David K - 9-25-2004 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
I think you meant 60 Kilometers not miles from the cut off into Bahia.

No Debra, the 60 miles is from Catavina to the junction, as I said Catavina was 76 miles from Rosario and the junction is 60 miles further. Bahia is another approx. 40 miles, or 176 from Rosario.

I appreciate you checking my figures, however...

Crossing Over

psmithsr - 9-25-2004 at 12:52 PM

Thanks, David! Tijuana sounds good.

We usually travel with 4 cases of "Two Buck Chuck" in under RV storage.

Should we declare it?

best, paul

Dave - 9-25-2004 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psmithsr
Thanks, David! Tijuana sounds good.

We usually travel with 4 cases of "Two Buck Chuck" in under RV storage.

Should we declare it?

best, paul

You are allowed 3 liters per person, period. If the aduanal agent is in a foul mood you risk confiscation and a fine. Nine times out of ten they won't even bother but there IS a risk. Weigh the consequences and make your decision.

Crossing

psmithsr - 9-25-2004 at 03:18 PM

Well I sure don't begrudge the Gov't of Mexico duty. Let's see:

4 cases x 12 bottles/case x .75L/bottle = 36 L less 6 L = 30 L

I wonder what the duty on 30L of wine is?

best, paul

Crossing Over

psmithsr - 9-25-2004 at 04:07 PM

I think I found the answer for duty. The general (non-item-specific) amount is 32.8%

"Two Buck Chuck" sells for $19.88 here in California (at Trader Joes). So the duty should be 0.328 x 19.88 = $6.52 per case.

Between the two of us, my wife and I consume a bottle a day (when we do have wine with dinner). So considering my penchant to initiate others we meet on the road into how good wine that's only $1.99/bottle can be, I think I'll pick up some more wine.

best, paul

Dave - 9-25-2004 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
I think I found the answer for duty. The general (non-item-specific) amount is 32.8%

I repeat, as a tourist you are allowed 3 liters per person, period.

You can, as a legal resident with an import license or through a licenced broker import more and pay the duty.

If caught with more that the legal amount you can be fined and the wine confiscated. It rarely happens, (sometimes a Jackson laid on the front seat will work), but it DOES happen.

Anonymous - 9-25-2004 at 06:39 PM

Sounds like he has already had that much Dave!

#1 - 9-25-2004 at 08:09 PM

"Top off fuel at El Rosario (plastic accepted!), all gas beyond is iffy."

Stuck in Bahia de Los Angeles with an RV and no gas. What a horrible scenario. If you don't want to take the risk I will volunteer to go in your place. It'll be a great sacrifice but I'm sure I'll survive the ordeal.:biggrin:

psmithsr - 9-25-2004 at 08:43 PM

Hmmmmm.......

has the following:

"12. What are Mexico's duty obligations concerning goods carried into Mexico by non-Mexican residents?
Persons residing outside of Mexico (regardless of whether they are Mexican citizens) may bring into the country an array of personal duty-free items. Lists of the specific personal items exempted from duties are available at Mexican Customs facilities. Beyond these items, there is a $300 limit for additional duty-free items. This limit applies whether or not they arrive by land, sea or air.

Import duties of up to 20% are levied on the goods. In addition, a customs user fee (0.08) and a value-added tax (10) are levied on the imported goods.

Persons bringing a dutiable good (or goods) into Mexico have the option of classifying them under the product-specific tariff (this would involve the hiring of a customs broker) or declaring the goods under a simplified procedure and paying a total duty charge of 32.8%

These provisions can only be used for personal goods. They are not applicable for goods brought into Mexico for commercial purposes."

Several other websites say the same. I've emailed the C?nsul de M?xico in San Francisco for clarification.

best, paul

Debra - 9-26-2004 at 12:04 PM

I once got "stuck" in B.O.L.A. for an extra 2 weeks because they ran out of gas. ;D

(that's my story and I'm "stickin 2 it" :biggrin:)

David....

Debra - 9-26-2004 at 12:11 PM

I know better than to check your numbers (you are NEVER wrong with your "map" thing your have in that head of your's....) that is why I read, and re-read your gas advice, as I did again this AM, and it still sounds to me that you were saying that Bahia is 60 miles from the cut. (of course we didn't have the benifit of seeing your arms go "to and fro" ) :spingrin:

David K - 9-26-2004 at 01:32 PM

Debra, I am human and I make mistakes... I also write things backwards sometimes... This is why the 60 miles part sounds confusing to you... I think.

I mentioned the second gas source from Rosario (L.A. Bay jcn.) and said it is 60 miles further (from Catavina), followed by a comma.

Now, that is backwards for some... I understand! :)

So, another way to write it would be to say: "60 miles further is gas at the L.A. Bay Jcn."

The next line could be:"176 miles from El Rosario is L.A. Bay, about 40 miles from Hwy. 1."

I will work on my backwardness, someday!

NO, wait: "Someday I will work on my backwardness"

You see, I can learn new tricks!!! :lol::lol::lol:

David......

Debra - 9-26-2004 at 02:19 PM

Quote" "I'm human and I make mistakes"

Well, no you don't, not on directions or map things......so forgive me, if wondered if the person you were giving advice to might be a bit confused (I would have been).....

To whom may want to know.....from Mex 1 cut to B.O.L.A it's about 41 miles and takes about an hour (of course I was only there about 2 months ago, (spent 7wks. and am told the rest of the last part of the road is better or "done" (if not, take the dirt...(around the trucks)

This I'm sure must have changed in the last couple of months since I've been there......BUT, (I doubt it) the "road" to Camp Gecko pretty much is a Baja road, yes...you can get your RV there (some of us understand that, some of us don't) go slow......watch out for the wash out about 1 mile from town, and don't think that the concret arroyes are your friend (there are 2 before you get to camp........see them and STOP! almost.

Dave - 9-26-2004 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Beyond these items, there is a $300 limit for additional duty-free items. This limit applies whether or not they arrive by land, sea or air.

Incorrect. Unless arriving by boat or plane the limit is $50, which does NOT include additional tobacco* or alcoholic beverages.

The limits are:

For adults (per person):

20 packs or 200 grams of tobacco or 20 cigars. 3 liters of alcohol, beer wine or liquor.

*There is a proviso for additional cigars by paying duties.

For your information: When legally importing liquor, wine or beer the duties are excessive. In some instances more than double the price.

Anonymous - 9-27-2004 at 01:40 AM

Psmithers.

I have driven both my class A's to Bahia a dozen or more times. The new one is a 36' plus 4x4 toad, the old is 30 with the same toad. You can make the drive with no or little effort. If this is your first trip on Highway #1 be aware that it is narrow and few areas that you can pull off. Just stay on your side of the road and you'll be fine. Pass only if you have to. Take all curved sections slowly. Don't drive at night. Largest hill will be entering El Rosario, use low gear.

I have attempted to stop and get our visas at the TJ border several times and only succesful once. They always tell me "no parking" and then wave me on. If that happens you can get your visa in Ensenada. It is a little easier than TJ. As you enter Ensenada there is a sharp left turn just befor the Harbor. If you go straight (instead of Left) you will make the first left you come to (can't remember the name of the street, maybe David remembers it?) You'll see signs directing you to the Harbor Masters office, follow them. After you make the left onto this street , about 1/4 mile down on the right side you will see a store that sells boating parts and supplies. Even though the sign says "Parking for Customers Only" you can park there (I always go in and buy some motor oil) and on your left (50 yards further up) there is the Visa Office. Fill out the paperwork and then you can walk (Long walk about 1/2 mile) straight down that same street, pass the traffic light and make a left on the next street, short distance to the corner and make a right. On your right is a Bank and you can pay there and walk back to the Visa office and pick up your visa.

Hopefully this will also eliminate any inspection at the border. Buy gas in El Rosario at the Only Pemex in town, (Antonio) Baja Cactus' place. If you run low on fuel you can buy at several places in Bahia, just ask Doc at Gecko.

A month stay and you'll probably need propane and water at some point. As you enter Bahia there is a small store on your right that will sell you water they have a 75 foot hose hooked up to there reverse osmosis filter. Tell them you need to fill up. They usually charge me less that 30 bucks for 50 gallons. I think that is the total amount that there RO tank holds.

Propane is a little trickier. Ask Doc when the Propane truck will be in town or in Camp. Yes the Propane truck does come to camp. I've never been lucky enough to catch him there. When you find the truck tell him you need propane, if he says he can't fill you up tip him a $10 bill and he will. Mexico use a little different blend of gas than the states, but it burns just great. (I think it' a butane /propane blend)

You also might want to check and make sure Doc has room for you. I always email him and make reservations.

It' a long haul from Estero to Bahia, stop in San Quintin and stay at Cielito Lindo or Gypsies beach camp. Both are good. 15 miles South of the main town , make a right at the power plant and go straight for 3 or 4 miles......pavement ends (if you go left where the pavement ends it will take you to La Pinta hotel) if you continue straight on the graded dirt road you will enter Cielito Linda property. When you see the CL bar the RV area is just past the bar and to the left. Gypsies RV Beach Camp is to the right.

CL might have Elect. hook ups....depends on if the generator is working or not. The water at CL is brackish, so are the showers, dont fill up there. They do have dump too, but you shouldn't need it, yet. CL bar and rest. is known for there Crab Claw dinners.

Gypsies is close to the beach and you can walk to the ocean. They have all night security and Great Hot FRESH water showers. Extremly clean restrooms. No water or Elect hook ups but do have a Dump. AND your at one of the Best "little" restaurants in the area. $1.00 breakfast burritos, fish tacos, beer etc. Tell Laura we said HI!!

If you need more info just ask

BEDMAN

Two Buck Chuck?

BajaGrrls - 9-27-2004 at 09:41 AM

Is it really $2? At the Trader Joe's in Chicago, it's $3 and we call it Three Buck Chuck. Ironically most of the other California wines tend to be cheaper in Chicago then they are in California. Trader Joe's must be the exception. :(

psmithsr - 9-27-2004 at 01:39 PM

This is the reply I received today:

"You can take your wine into Mexico provided that you pay the taxes
required.

According with the Customs Department, wines made in USA and Canada pay
17% and wines made elsewhere pay 50% of duty.

Jaime A. Mart?n
C?nsul de M?xico
Tel: 415-354-1710
532 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA. 94105
http://www.sre.gob.mx/sanfrancisco/"

The number I quoted, 32.8%, reportedly applies to anything, and is apparently out of date.

17% sounds good to me.

To answer another question, yes, Charles Shaw wine goes for $2 in California. But it's $3 in Arizona, too. Probably taxes on California wine.

best, paul

psmithsr - 9-27-2004 at 01:48 PM

Thanks, BEDMAN!

Great tips.

best, paul

PS> Yes, I knowabout the narrow highways. We drove the entire length of Baja California from Cabo N to Tecate earlier this year. I could not believe I couldn't find a T shirt with "I drove 1,000 miles of Baja in my RV and survived"on it ;D

[Edited on 9-27-2004 by psmithsr]

[Edited on 9-27-2004 by psmithsr]

David K - 9-27-2004 at 06:28 PM

I think they sell THOSE shirts in Maui:lol::lol::lol: (Yes, I drove to Hana and survived)

Bedman is 'da man' http://vivabaja.com/bedman2 (2002) and http://vivabaja.com/bedman (2001)

Here's Bedman last year at Viva Baja #4 with SallySouth (msal) and Michelle (M).

I think that the issue is bringing wine

Gypsy Jan - 9-27-2004 at 06:52 PM

If you are worried about being inspected by the customs agents, don't bring any more than what has been discussed here.

What you want to do is resupply. Baja has terrific native wines and the supermarkets have a wide selection from the region and Europe.

Stop off in Rosarito at the Calimax or the Comercial Mexicano supermarkets or one or the other small liquor stores (Don Pisto, for example). Cruise the selection, if you see something interesting, ask the hovering employee/theft cop, "Cuanto cuesta?" He will tell you the price, usually in pesos (think 11.5 to 1).

Also, Ensenada has several supermercados as you go through town, they have the best selection of low-priced wines.

Other options are the very good wineries in the Guadulupe Valle inland and north of Ensenada...well worth a detour. :)

Anonymous - 9-30-2004 at 09:00 AM

Since we're planning on staying at Estero Beach RV Resort (about 5 miles S of Ensanada), what about us going straight to there with RV and return sans RV by cab to Ensenada for Tourist Cards, dinner, etc?

Is Estero Beach technically too far South?

best, paul

"I have attempted to stop and get our visas at the TJ border several times and only succesful once. They always tell me "no parking" and then wave me on. If that happens you can get your visa in Ensenada. It is a little easier than TJ. As you enter Ensenada there is a sharp left turn just befor the Harbor. If you go straight (instead of Left) you will make the first left you come to (can't remember the name of the street, maybe David remembers it?) You'll see signs directing you to the Harbor Masters office, follow them. After you make the left onto this street , about 1/4 mile down on the right side you will see a store that sells boating parts and supplies. Even though the sign says "Parking for Customers Only" you can park there (I always go in and buy some motor oil) and on your left (50 yards further up) there is the Visa Office. Fill out the paperwork and then you can walk (Long walk about 1/2 mile) straight down that same street, pass the traffic light and make a left on the next street, short distance to the corner and make a right. On your right is a Bank and you can pay there and walk back to the Visa office and pick up your visa. "

David K - 9-30-2004 at 06:45 PM

Estero Beach is within the 'border zone', so you are 'safe' to go there first. However, the Ensenada INM office is not next to a bank (where you must pay for the FM-Ts), it will be easier if you get them at the border. When you park in the secondary inspection, be firm that you must get your tourist cards there... today!

Also, I agree with others that you should stay within the legal limit of vino (wine). Baja produces great wines... have fun trying them! I am sure you will make good friends with Doc at Gecko if you invite him to join you both... He is good people and will fill you with great knowledge of the sea and land surrounding Bahia de los Angeles.

Have a great trip and adventure... Please report back upon your return or even from the Internet cafes in L.A. Bay.

Anonymous - 10-1-2004 at 05:28 AM

I have every intention of staying legal. As I understand the legal position, 3 litres per person is duty-free, and any additional is subject to duty.

But from what I read of the experience of others, it might not be that easy for me to pay the duty I'm not only ready and willing to do, but want to do, if I'm waived on by at the border crossing.

best, paul

"Also, I agree with others that you should stay within the legal limit of vino (wine)."

Dave - 10-1-2004 at 05:13 PM

Trust me, in a MoHO you will not be "waived on by".

Something else to consider:

If you stop and declare, you will have the option of returning to the States if you consider the duties assessed to be excessive. But only if YOU declare.

I read your post about the opinion you received from the consulate. If I were you I would get that in writing.:biggrin:

Anonymous - 10-1-2004 at 08:19 PM

Well we crossed at TJ today. I pulled all the way to the right and parked the RV. We got our tourist cards no problem.

I then went over to customs and told the guy I had 7 cases of wine I wanted to pay duty on. He went to my RV and I showed him the wine. He said only 3 liters per person. I showed him the entire email from Jaime A. Mart?n. He got on the cell phone for a while.

After 20 minutes or so he apparently turned it over to a young woman. She read the email from Jaime, walked into the RV, took a look around and said we could leave.

Apparently this is a bit unusual for them to handle.

Did find ATMs at 3rd toll booth on 1-D (A bit confusing. Do they only ask for a PIN when you remove the card?)

Had a little trouble getting to Esteo Beach [somehow lost Hwy 1(!) in Ensenada] but quickly recovered. DataStorm working fine on the beach - see our location at www.lazydazers.com

All in all - a good day - Buelton, CA to Esteo Beach in one day in an RV.

best, paul

Dave - 10-1-2004 at 11:15 PM

Allllllllright! I don't know if it was mass confusion or what, but it worked! BRAVO!

Now, would you please post the email? I know LOTS of folks who want to bring over a ton of 2buckChuck. We could all make copies. :lol::lol:

Bedman - 10-2-2004 at 12:38 AM

I don't know why you couldn't and sounds like an excellent plan to me. The Visa office is at the North end of Ensenada and i would venture a guess that it is approx. 11 to 13 miles away from Estero.

Bedman

mcgyver - 10-2-2004 at 07:47 AM

Someone make sure to tell Germanious to bring his dump truck to this crossing!!!!, I sure wished I had took my building materials through there, I declared $800 but they found $875 after my allowance and I almost went to jail, they had already called for a driver to take my picup to Mexicali when they relented. WOW * cases of wine at $2 a bottle, thats $188 and your allowance is only $150, that includes groceries, personal items, film, ddv's ($12 ea) etc,etc, in a motor home they figure you have already used your allowance, you made out like a bandit. I would not count on doing that again!

Anonymous - 10-2-2004 at 08:16 AM

Just to be safe, I was tying to claim 7 cases of wine, which is ALL the wine I had.

Even had they made me pay duty, it was less than US$31

I've posted the message I eceived below.

best, paul

=================
Reply-To:
To:
Cc: "'Consulado General de Mexico'" ,
"Bernardo Mendez"
Subject: RE: Tourist Visa
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:20:01 -0700
Organization: Consulado General de Mexico
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.3416
X-Loop-Detect: 1

You can take your wine into Mexico provided that you pay the taxes
required.

According with the Customs Department, wines made in USA and Canada pay
17% and wines made elsewhere pay 50% of duty.

Jaime A. Mart?n
C?nsul de M?xico
Tel: 415-354-1710
532 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA. 94105
http://www.sre.gob.mx/sanfrancisco/

-----Original Message-----
From: paul.smith@smarteryp.com [mailto:paul.smith@smarteryp.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 7:29 PM
To: jmartin@consulmexsf.com
Subject: RE: Tourist Visa

Jaime:

I understand I can bring 3 litres of wine per adult into Mexico,
duty-free.

Can I bring more of my favorite wine into Mexico by declaring it and
paying the duty on it, which I've read is 32.8% ?

best, paul

Anonymous - 10-2-2004 at 08:31 AM

BTW, the reason I had 7 cases instead of my usual 5 is that I did not save the receipt for the 5 cases. So I bought two cases, a Chardonnay for "she who must be obeyed," and a Merlot for me, to be sure I had a receipt for the kind of wine I had on board. In short, be sure to have a receipt.

It also helps to look like dumb old farts (as we do).

best, paul

"Not bad for 2 dumb kids from Ohio"