BajaNomad

Taking Pets To Baja

Festus - 1-10-2012 at 02:30 PM

In reading through a lot of the postings and doing a search it looks like lots of folks bring their dogs with them when visiting Baja. We have not taken a pet on prior trips to Baja. But we now have a chihuahua/terrier mix named Scout who loves car travel, outdoors and beaches. We want to take her on our next trip to Baja but are a little nervous about running into problems with either Mexican or US officials during the trip. If we take her papers can we assume no problems? Do we even need to take her papers?

Thanks for the help!

DENNIS - 1-10-2012 at 02:47 PM

Yes. All of her current shot records and a health certificate. It won't be the Mexican customs who require this, but US customs on reentry.

Mexico bans chihuahua/terrier dogs! Not allowed.

mcfez - 1-10-2012 at 03:02 PM

Just kidding.....

I used to say here "forget the paperwork"...

Take the proper paperwork for a few reasons: ease of mind, border crossing seems to have gotten a little more picky about stuff, and one should have papers in case the dog bites someone down there.

A side note here...I take pictures of the dog(s) I take down...should they run off. There has been sad stories posted here on the BN about dogs becoming a lost dog :-(

[Edited on 1-10-2012 by mcfez]

SFandH - 1-10-2012 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
A side note here...I take pictures of the dog(s) I take down...should they run off. There has been sad stories posted here on the BN about dogs becoming a lost dog :-(
[Edited on 1-10-2012 by mcfez]

Excellent idea.

I see so many dogs everywhere without tags, locals and tourists. I travel baja with dogs. Each of them has a tag that has my San Diego phone number and a Mexican phone number of a friend that lives in baja. Nothing more, just the phone numbers. And, I take extra tags in case a collar gets lost. It's such a simple thing to do.

Once I returned home from work and my dog was not there. There was a message on my phone from a neighbor down the street. He had the dog. Whew!!

goldhuntress - 1-10-2012 at 03:56 PM

The CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention make the rules and regulations, the CBP, U.S. Customs and Border Protection enforces them, so both those websites have info on coming into the US but NOT entering Mexico. You ARE supposed to have a the certificate to get into Mexico but so far I've never been asked but some have been. Also I've heard here on BN that Mexico does not recognize the 3 year rabies vaccination, only the 1 year.

"A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry."

More info:

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html

woody with a view - 1-10-2012 at 05:14 PM

keep it close. coyotes love to make new friends....

Dave - 1-10-2012 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
"A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry."

I suppose you could argue with the inspector but at the border they are the law and if they say you need to have a certificate you'd best have one...

Unless you would enjoy them quarantining your pet.

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2012 at 07:28 PM

I have noticed that the military seem to inspect the car much faster when you have a dog .... I bet they have some bad experiences.

goldhuntress - 1-10-2012 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress

I suppose you could argue with the inspector but at the border they are the law and if they say you need to have a certificate you'd best have one...

Unless you would enjoy them quarantining your pet.

Give me a break, they are not going to quarantine your dog, lol. That is posted on both websites I mentioned plus much more info about coming into the USA with a dog and what is required. I have personally crossed the border probably 50 times with my dogs, have been to secondary countless times and have walked over and back and not once have been asked for a health certificate. In my experience some border agents can be sticklers and some more lenient but they don't fabricate laws.

Leo - 1-10-2012 at 07:45 PM

If you travel by car, yes you won't have any problems with just current vacination papers. By air, bringing it in or back north, is a different matter.
Also doable, as long as you have papers that are dated within 5 days prior to the customs inspection.

border and dog's

captkw - 1-11-2012 at 12:00 AM

Hola, next to can of bear spray,,A dog,,is a BIG asset at a border and check spot's,,,, myself have never been asked at the TJ crossing,,north or south for any,, stupid papers on my dog's,,might be because the border agent's are laughing so hard,at my girl's,,,,strutting shade's :lol::cool::cool: K&T

Bajatripper - 1-11-2012 at 07:02 AM

I've done an informal survey on this. Bottom line, if you are a Mexican or appear to be one, you'd best have your papers/shots in order because you will likely be asked for them when crossing back into the US. If you look "American," you will most likely not be asked for anything.

DENNIS - 1-11-2012 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
I've done an informal survey on this. Bottom line, if you are a Mexican or appear to be one, you'd best have your papers/shots in order because you will likely be asked for them when crossing back into the US. If you look "American," you will most likely not be asked for anything.

What kind of shots should the Mexicans have? :lol:

Jes kiddin' wicha, Steve.

Sunman - 1-11-2012 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I have noticed that the military seem to inspect the car much faster when you have a dog .... I bet they have some bad experiences.

I would agree, seems to be the case.

Capkcon - 1-11-2012 at 09:14 AM

KNOW THE TWO BIG HEALTH RISKS TO YOUR DOG AND PREPARE
AND PREVENT:

1. Ehrlichia is the silent killer of dogs on the Baja California peninsula. It is rampant. Many street dogs die of it. It is carried by the nymph stage (guina) of the deer tick, Iodes. Guinas are almost invisible. They are everywhere in the soil. They bite and drop off and dont engorge with blood like the adult stage tick. A dog with Ehrlichia loses its appetite and eventually stops eating, sleeps a lot, and dies if not treated with Doxycycline (1 a day for 30 days). And reinfection can occur with new guina bites. USE Frontline PLUS or preferably Vectra3D on your dog.

2. HEARTWORM. It is throughout the peninsula and is carried by mosquitoes biting one dog and then another dog. Put your dog on HEARTGUARD before entering Baja.

We have taken our dogs with us for decades. We have battled both of the above. Prevent problems before you go.

Pompano - 1-11-2012 at 09:36 AM

Mexico will care less about your pet/s. US Customs upon return could..and probably will... check your pet's papers.

Been hauling fur, feathers, and hair across Tecate and San Ysidro US border for 40 years. They may check...and most times they don't.

It's a crapshoot, but the odds are heavily in favor of being asked...

...IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALL REQUIRED.

nbacc - 1-11-2012 at 05:44 PM

Have the papers...then, of course,they won't ask. Murphy's law says they will ask if you do not have them. Then you will have peace of mind. I would never take my pet without the papers and we take him every time as he loves the beach! Nancy

Roberto - 1-11-2012 at 06:46 PM

Just make sure you buy specially fitted seat belts for them - I have it on good authority that there's a law that requires them to be strapped in or the cops will gitcha. :biggrin:

Roberto - 1-11-2012 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Mexico will care less about your pet/s. US Customs upon return could..and probably will... check your pet's papers.

Been hauling fur, feathers, and hair across Tecate and San Ysidro US border for 40 years. They may check...and most times they don't.

It's a crapshoot, but the odds are heavily in favor of being asked...

...IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALL REQUIRED.

Of course you're right. For the record, I have never been asked for the dog's papers. Though only for half as long as you (20 years).

daveyjoans - 1-11-2012 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper

What kind of shots should the Mexicans have? :lol:

Jes kiddin' wicha, Steve.

Festus - 1-14-2012 at 09:20 AM

Thanks all! We travel to Baja by car but will take the papers just to be safe.

Capkcon - thank so much for the insight on Ehrlichia and Heartworm. I was unaware of that dange in Baja. Now we will be able to protect Scout from that as well.