BajaNomad

Ruinas, canon de salto

bacquito - 1-21-2012 at 02:22 PM

Recently my stepson and I revisited Rancho 3F (Federico) and La Cascadas area with the intent of hiking to "Las Ruinas Canon de salto. The ruinas are about 2+ miles from the 3F Ranch. We met with Federico, the owner of 3F ranch and paid our camping fee for 2 days. Federico invited us into his house and proudly showed his family photos and explained Las Ruinas were established by his bisabuelas and were built about 1850. Federico is 81 years. The hike took about 1.5 hours from our campsite.

La ruinas

Where they baked there bread

Possible grave site. We were told there was a burial ground near the ruins.

We were told that this Cardon was brought over from Sonora, Mex. and is the only Cardon growing this far North

[Edited on 2-5-2015 by BajaNomad]

Cypress - 1-21-2012 at 02:32 PM

bacquito, Thanks for the sharing your adventure.:yes:

goldhuntress - 1-21-2012 at 03:55 PM

Interesting, thank you.

DianaT - 1-21-2012 at 04:45 PM

What a great exploration----thanks for sharing the really interesting narrative and photos!

Diana

Awesome Ruinas!

El Vergel - 1-21-2012 at 04:51 PM

What a great Trip! Thanks for the share, beautiful pix.

BAJACAT - 1-22-2012 at 07:49 PM

man always wanted to go there, I just made it to the hot springs, Federico saids he is from La Purisima, BCS.. realy cool guys .. we were invited inside his house to eat fresh cheese and hand made flour tortillas..only a few minutes from LA CETTO...

David K - 1-22-2012 at 08:24 PM

For sure a cardon way north of its source... neat how it was brought there maybe 150 years ago as a baby... The extra rainfall has sure helped it do well.

Mexitron - 1-23-2012 at 07:35 AM

Never been there---thanks for the pics and trip report. I was trying to figure out where the Canon El Salto was, what with the Cardon and surrounding flora---didn't add up until you mentioned the Cardon had been planted...

Can't seem to pull up a google map on Canon El Salto---what road do you take to get there?

bacquito - 1-23-2012 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
man always wanted to go there, I just made it to the hot springs, Federico saids he is from La Purisima, BCS.. realy cool guys .. we were invited inside his house to eat fresh cheese and hand made flour tortillas..only a few minutes from LA CETTO...

Yes, what an interesting house! Federico showed us through the house with its many photos of his family. He certainly has alot of bedrooms-7, I believe. He has a son that lives in Chicago and is quite an artist, another that is a professor at a University in Ensenada, and so on and so on. He is proud of his family!
He talked of La Purisima and also said he was a fisherman from the (I believe) BOLA area. Federico claims that Las Ruinas belong to his family and were started by his bisabuelas.
While in the area I metup with a vaquero by the name of Augustin. Augustin lives at the San Antonio Necua Reservation. He claims that Las Ruinas were started bu another family.
Who knows?? but none the less the area is well worth the visit and if Federico invites you into his house take him up on it. Neat guy (81yrs. old).
Also further east of Las Ruinas is an area described as "Agua Caliente" That is my next quest! For the interested, review Google Earth.

bacquito - 1-23-2012 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Never been there---thanks for the pics and trip report. I was trying to figure out where the Canon El Salto was, what with the Cardon and surrounding flora---didn't add up until you mentioned the Cardon had been planted...

Can't seem to pull up a google map on Canon El Salto---what road do you take to get there?

From Ensenada take the "libre road" in the direction of La Mission. At KM 76 is a sign that announces "Salto" It is about a 20 minute drive north of Ensenada. Easy to get to and good camping facilities. It is known for its repelling activities.
As you probably know there are a number of "Salto" areas. The GPS readings for Salto are 32 02'12.71"N, 116 46'15.79"W. Its location is in Google Earth.
Have a good day.

Mexitron - 1-23-2012 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

From Ensenada take the "libre road" in the direction of La Mission. At KM 76 is a sign that announces "Salto" It is about a 20 minute drive north of Ensenada. Easy to get to and good camping facilities. It is known for its repelling activities.
As you probably know there are a number of "Salto" areas. The GPS readings for Salto are 32 02'12.71"N, 116 46'15.79"W. Its location is in Google Earth.
Have a good day.

Thanks Bacquito----haven't been on that section of the free road for 20 years probably, be good to check it out again.

Udo - 1-23-2012 at 01:03 PM

Nice hike, bacquito.
We plan on adding the hiking sticks to our repertoire by the time we head down again. The knees are not what they used to be!

bacquito - 1-23-2012 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Nice hike, bacquito.
We plan on adding the hiking sticks to our repertoire by the time we head down again. The knees are not what they used to be!

Yes, I will not hike without them-good for balance. They do slow you up and also can be difficult when there are alot of plants present-they get hungup.

David K - 1-23-2012 at 02:13 PM

Baquito, I am a little confused (getting old is so over-rated)...

What is off the free road (Hwy. 1) near La Mision that you are telling Mexitron about vs. the ruins in your photos of the ruins and cardon that are off Hwy. 3 (near the hot springs as BajaCat mentioned)?

Sorry for my missing it! Thank you!!

[Edited on 1-23-2012 by David K]

BAJACAT - 1-23-2012 at 04:16 PM

Im confused too, I thought we were at Valle de Guadalupe area, east of LA CETTO..Caņon Agua Caliente...

David K - 1-23-2012 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Im confused too, I thought we were at Valle de Guadalupe area, east of LA CETTO..Caņon Agua Caliente...

Oh good, I am not alone in this Twilight Zone episode!:lol:

bacquito - 1-23-2012 at 07:09 PM

Sorry, I misread Mexitron's comment. There are at least two Saltos in the area and I thought he was interested in the Salto area that occurs at Km 76 on the nontoll road (free road or calle libre) between Ensenada and La Mission. I reread his note and realized he was probably interested in the area called Canon de Salto, Escalon del Salto or simply Las Ruinas. I sent Mexitron a U2U memo giving him the GPS coordinates of La Ruinas.
Either way the two Salto areas are interesting.

Paulina - 1-23-2012 at 07:46 PM

I need to see a map...

P>*)))>{

David K - 1-24-2012 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I need to see a map...

P>*)))>{

Note 'Agua Caliente' to the east of Guadalupe near the edge of the map... you are close to the area being discussed there.

BAJACAT - 1-24-2012 at 09:25 PM

Note the Agua Caliente with a dot marking the place, thats pretty much were Federicos house is located...Also (Bacquito) when you are ready to hike to the next site (east of the Ruins you call it AGUA CALIENTE) let me know i will go with you...

Mengano - 1-24-2012 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Sorry, I misread Mexitron's comment. There are at least two Saltos in the area and I thought he was interested in the Salto area that occurs at Km 76 on the nontoll road (free road or calle libre) between Ensenada and La Mission. I reread his note and realized he was probably interested in the area called Canon de Salto, Escalon del Salto or simply Las Ruinas. I sent Mexitron a U2U memo giving him the GPS coordinates of La Ruinas.
Either way the two Salto areas are interesting.

The ruins are at: 32 06'15.07N 116 25'42.28W

David K - 1-25-2012 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano

You have a good eye, if these are the same...

I am guessing the cardon is the green blob just above the lable at the botton center, across the raod from the ruins?

[Edited on 1-25-2012 by David K]

bacquito - 1-26-2012 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano

You have a good eye, if these are the same...

I am guessing the cardon is the green blob just above the lable at the botton center, across the raod from the ruins?

[Edited on 1-25-2012 by David K]

The first google photo shows what is referred to as the Salto near the ruins. It is a steep grade that goes from the ruin to the area called Valle Seco. Also,it shows a red dot that indicates "Agua Caliente". I have an interest in seeing this area in the future.
The second photo shows the ruin and the small dot below the ruins is, I believe, the Cardon but is not green in color.
The 3rd. photo clearly shows the ruin and the Cardon is the smaller of the objects below the ruin but is not green in color.
However, it should be mentioned that there is a dry water well close to the Cardon that could be confused with the Cardon in the google photo.

bacquito - 1-26-2012 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Note the Agua Caliente with a dot marking the place, thats pretty much were Federicos house is located...Also (Bacquito) when you are ready to hike to the next site (east of the Ruins you call it AGUA CALIENTE) let me know i will go with you...

Yes, I will let you know. Presently I am in Yuma and will be here through about mid-march. I look forward to meeting you. The truth is I have never met a fellow nomad in person.

[Edited on 1-26-2012 by bacquito]

BAJACAT - 1-26-2012 at 09:43 PM

ok let me know, I love that place. i ;lke to go and get a Botana a few bottles of wine @ LA CETTO, and then of to hike...

David K - 1-26-2012 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
ok let me know, I love that place. i ;lke to go and get a Botana a few bottles of wine @ LA CETTO, and then of to hike...

Let me know if you have an empty seat Jose. I would enjoy the ruins and seeing a big cardon so far from home!

BAJACAT - 1-27-2012 at 08:52 PM

SURE thing DK, I let you know..

David K - 2-4-2015 at 08:08 AM

Three years later...

I was sent this note and photos of this site this morning...

"Was rideing a trail between Ojos Negros and Via Guadalupe over the weekend and came across this. Iam assuming its old race course because of the occasional orange arrow. Iam more curious then anything about the history. I do not have a lat and long but its easy to spot from GE. There is s dry well aprox 40 feet deep in front and the structure sits on top of a nice bluff over looking a stream. ( 2 feet deep running water on super bowl Sunday ) thanks. Feel free to share on baja nomads if its worthy. I commend you on your dedication to Baja. Thanks Michael."

[Edited on 9-12-2022 by David K]

BajaGeoff - 2-5-2015 at 02:17 PM

This is fascinating....I am checking it out on Google Earth. Does Federico allow motorcycles in there? It looks like it could be an interesting dirt bike ride all the way back to the ruins.

David K - 2-5-2015 at 07:55 PM

He allowed Michael (or Michael never saw Federico?)!

BajaGeoff - 2-6-2015 at 10:14 AM

Haha....I just realized I never saw the second page of this thread...including the moto pics! I went from the first page straight to Google Earth. Thanks David!

David K - 10-16-2018 at 12:00 PM

Bump for 'Mothership'.