BajaNomad

Whale Counts in Ojo de Liebre (Guerrero Negro)

shari - 2-4-2012 at 12:15 PM

there has been lots of talk that they saw many more whales than usual along the California coast this season. Gray whales migrate earlier if the ice pack freezes sooner up north and it appears that for some reason, more whales took the inshore route on their southbound migration.

I just received the census stats for the 1st three counts and here are the results...way more whales way earlier than usual were present in the calving lagoons.

Jan.16th- Total.....660
Adults...423
Calves...237

Jan.23- Total.....808
Adults...492
Calves...316

Jan.31- Total.....1,676
Adults...954
Calves...722

Holy Whale Snot...those numbers are very high for early in the season...I wonder if they are just here early or if February will be a record year for numbers? time will tell.

[Edited on 2-5-2012 by shari]

elgatoloco - 2-4-2012 at 12:19 PM

That's a whale of a count! Glad to see they are thriving. :dudette:

shari - 2-23-2012 at 04:20 PM

As I suspected, it wasnt so much a case of lots more whales this year but that more whales were present earlier this season and more whales migrated closer to the california coast than usual.

The latest census in Ojo de Liebre reported on Feb.21 that there were
933 adults
707 calves
1,640 in total

meaning the peak was reached a couple weeks earlier than normal. A few whales have left the lagoon but not many so viewing will still be great for another few weeks anyway. Our next guided trips will be on March 3rd if anyone is in the neighbourhood and wants to join us.

Udo - 2-23-2012 at 04:58 PM

Thanks for the census, Shari.

Never seen one before.

Skipjack Joe - 2-23-2012 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Holy Whale Snot...those numbers are very high for early in the season...

I just hope there's enough water for them all.

angels4 - 2-24-2012 at 10:03 AM

Shari,
How long is the drive to your place from Ensenada? If we head south for week of Semana Santa, do you think we will be too late to see any whales?

shari - 2-24-2012 at 11:19 AM

there may be some whales left at San Ignacio but Ojo de Liebre is likely to nearly empty...possibly a trip out to the mouth may be successful seeing some migrating whales pausing for a rest at the mouth...I think they do tours till mid April.

It is about 8-10 hours depending on pee stops:lol: and how fast you drive. Hey why dont you come and house sit for us in semana santa!!! Juan & I have our little yearly escape that week as it's the only week off he has from the coop all year.

angels4 - 2-24-2012 at 11:26 AM

hhhmm don't be tempting me Shari! :spingrin:I might take you up on it. But, if I am gonna drive for 15 hours hearing the boys scream and fight with each other (Yes, add the 5 hours it will take me to get to Ensenada) I better see some of them whales!! :P
Maybe I can drag Sirena and "El Pollito" into the "House sitting" :o

shari - 3-29-2012 at 05:12 PM

the last census at Ojo de Liebre indicates that there are still LOTS of whales there. As of March 20th, there were 480 adults, 430 calves for a grand total of 910 animals...which is way more than usual this late in the season.

As I mentioned before, I saw many many young calves that werent near ready to leave the lagoon so I anticipated lots of whales would still be in the lagoon for semana santa which is wonderful for vacationers.

Sunman - 3-29-2012 at 10:45 PM

Word from a friend in San Ignacio last night was that everyone returning From the lagoon were claiming record numbers are still remaining. Hope so as we leave maņana.