BajaNomad

Guajademi Canyon Road?

Blair - 2-29-2012 at 09:20 PM

Ok road experts, does anyone know if the road on this attached pic is passable (red arrow)? Anybody with any experience with it? We are doing our third annual bike trip in April and I was considering giving it a shot. I'm not even sure if Guajademi Canyon is the right name. That area is beautiful and I was hoping to explore it further.

[Edited on 3-1-2012 by Blair]

Barry A. - 2-29-2012 at 09:22 PM

Does not appear to contain an "attached pic"--------try again?? or a map???

Barry

Mulegena - 2-29-2012 at 09:56 PM

Just checked with my husband who is from La Purisima and now lives in Mulege.

He's never taken this road personally, but his brother has who reports its passable in a 4x4 high-clearance vehicle. He says its got a lot of steep, high approaches and twists and turns but is passable by 4wd.

btw, take food and water, he says!

He'll double-check with brother tomorrow.
There was an earthquake up there this summer that did change some roads. We'll see if anyone knows the latest conditions.

KurtG - 2-29-2012 at 09:56 PM

In Oct we attempted to go through from the Mulege side but the cuesta at the back of the Mulege Valley was too rough for our Explorer. We were just one vehicle and the temps were 100+ so while we might have been able to continue we turned back. I think light weight dirt bikes with skilled riders could make it. I would not attempt it on my KLR650. I have been most of the way through from the San Isidro end before the road was completed and there is some spectacular scenery. That road has not been maintained since it was completed and going up the cuesta was very rocky with lots of water damage. Good luck and let us know if you do it. We will be back in that area in mid March and would take another look at going through there if we had another 4wd along.

David K - 3-1-2012 at 09:59 AM

That route was a Camino Real used by the Spaniards and Indians in mission times...

Shown as a trail in Gulick's 1962 map

The Camino Real routes in Crosby's 1977 map

Following the Camino Real using Google Earth and marking the route on the 2003 Baja Almanac map.

Images from the points on the above map (10-15):

Blair - 3-1-2012 at 10:20 AM

Thanks David, very, very interesting. Gregorio Trail? Very intriguing area. And Kurtg, I can see the cuesta you are referring to at the end of the first canyon S of Mulege. Looks like quite a climb. We will be riding between Mulege and La Purisma the week of April 15 and are trying to finalize our planned route. Something tells me if we try this we should allow plenty of time but it may be worth it.

Also Mulegena, thanks. Any info your hubby can pass along is appreciated!

David K - 3-1-2012 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blair
Thanks David, very, very interesting. Gregorio Trail? Very intriguing area.

It looks like that at first glance... but the trail is along Arroyo San Gregorio... and the word TRAIL is seperate. It is the 'EL CAMINO REAL' between La Purisima and MULEGE if you want to add a name to it.

See if you can take any photos if you see any of the mission trail work that hasn't been bulldozed over by modern road builders. Thanks!

motoged - 3-1-2012 at 10:35 AM

Yes , it is manageable on dirt bikes....six buddies did it a year ago with no complaints....(one on a KLR :biggrin: )

KurtG - 3-1-2012 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Yes , it is manageable on dirt bikes....six buddies did it a year ago with no complaints....(one on a KLR :biggrin: )

I was told that a year ago it was pretty good but some Spring & Summer rains had a bad effect. There were some nasty uphill rocky washouts that my local friends said had not been there earlier in the year. Only takes one little storm back there in the hills to change everything. I would like to hear from anyone who has gone through there on a bike in the past 6 months.

Mulegena - 3-1-2012 at 09:19 PM

Just chatted with my bro-in-law and showed him this thread.

He re-confirmed his initial report, specifically that the grade up out of Mulege is pretty intense, but do-able in a 4x4 car.

However, his information is historical rather than current, so with that in mind my husband and I are heading to La Purisima tomorrow. We'll probably go in the "normal" route south Mex.1 to just beyond the bottom of the bay and turn west.

We'll enquire of the locals while we're there, and may possibly travel back to Mulege on the Guajademi route if we're feeling really adventurous.

Will let ya' know.

Blair - 3-2-2012 at 09:53 AM

Wow thanks everyone for all the excellent info. I get this funny feeling that that route may not be a walk in the park, which even makes it more interesting. Mulegena, any recent local info you can get in La Purisma would be very appreciated.

I love this stuff. Thanks again!

David K - 3-2-2012 at 09:55 AM

Hey, we expect a good trip report with photos when you get back!!! :yes::P

Blair - 3-2-2012 at 06:00 PM

That I will do David!

We just got back... but where were we?

Mulegena - 3-4-2012 at 01:18 AM

I need David's help here, please.

We went to La Purisima yesterday, visited the relatives and got the "Yes, you can go that way to Mulege (north through Paso Hondo) but why would you want to?" questions from everybody.

Well we went, and we saw, and it was absolutely gorgeous country... but I think we got lost. Maybe.

We went through Paso Hondo and came to a Y- intersection "El Llano" or "Guajademi". A rancher told us not to take the Guajademi road but to head for El Llano to get to Mulege.

We did. It was a really rough road of about 65 miles total from La Purisima to Mulege. Absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous country and a glimpse of Baja backcountry that folks just don't usually see,

but... where were we?

David???

David K - 3-4-2012 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

We went to La Purisima yesterday, visited the relatives and got the "Yes, you can go that way to Mulege (north through Paso Hondo) but why would you want to?" questions from everybody.

Well we went, and we saw, and it was absolutely gorgeous country... but I think we got lost. Maybe.

We went through Paso Hondo and came to a Y- intersection "El Llano" or "Guajademi". A rancher told us not to take the Guajademi road but to head for El Llano to get to Mulege.

We did. It was a really rough road of about 65 miles total from La Purisima to Mulege. Absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous country and a glimpse of Baja backcountry that folks just don't usually see,

but... where were we?

David???

YIKES! Well, if you don't know then... lol! EL LLANO is up and west of SAN JOSE DE MAGDALENA... But, that isn't on any road from La Purisima to Mulege... so a different El Llano...

How did you arrive into Mulege, from what direction, what road... ?? Did you turn back at Paso Hondo... or continue driving north towards Mulege... The only road/ pass is through Guajademi. Other routes west from Mulege pass San Miguel and come out north of San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) or pass Mision Guadalupe and on to the Pacific south of San Ignacio.

KurtG - 3-4-2012 at 10:41 AM

Quote:

but... where were we?

David???

You were on the road that Blair asked about and to which GED and I referred. Several years ago before it went all the way through I followed it to its end just above El Llano and yes the scenery is spectacular. In about two weeks we will try to retrace your route all the way through from the La Purisima end and will take GPS readings and photos along the way. What kind of vehicle were you driving?

David, that road isn't on any of the maps that I am aware of.
Kurt

David K - 3-4-2012 at 10:51 AM

Guajademi road is what you and Ged are describing... but Mulegena says the El Llano road is different (or was it)? I see no other route from Paso Hondo to Mulege... It is the route the padres took!

chuckie - 3-4-2012 at 10:53 AM

I think that is the road that a couple of my neighbors were on last week, on quads...They went to within sight of the coast from Mulege and didnt think it was so bad....Maybe it was a different road, but I dont think so..Out past the icehouse and bear left..looks like it to me..

David K - 3-4-2012 at 11:01 AM

The 2003 and 2009 Baja Almanac shows the road, but as a 'trail' between Agua Grande and Pie de la Cuesta de Guajademi... Other roads I have driven my Toyota on have also been shown as 'trails' in the Almanac.

I still do not see a 'El Llano' along the route???

It is the highlighted route of the EL CAMINO REAL south from Mulege:

[Edited on 3-4-2012 by David K]

Studied the maps thoroughly...

Mulegena - 3-4-2012 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
It was... about 65 miles total from La Purisima to Mulege. Absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous country and a glimpse of Baja backcountry that folks just don't usually see...

EL LLANO is up and west of SAN JOSE DE MAGDALENA... But, that isn't on any road from La Purisima to Mulege... so a different El Llano...

How did you arrive into Mulege, from what direction, what road... ?? Did you turn back at Paso Hondo... or continue driving north towards Mulege... The only road/ pass is through Guajademi. Other routes west from Mulege pass San Miguel and come out north of San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) or pass Mision Guadalupe and on to the Pacific south of San Ignacio.
Thanks for responding, David, and a big thanks for the detailed maps which I've studied and re-studied.

It appears we were on the correct road.

To clarify, remember I'm describing the journey south-to-north, La Purisima to Mulege: Coming out of Paso Hondo we did take the left fork signed "El Llano" after turning around from Guajademi (which is just east of the main road and isn't a town-proper but a collection of isolated sheep ranches, btw).

We climbed up onto a high plateau and I thought we'd reached Tibet.
Then we came to a Z-track, very serious percentage, down-grade which opened up onto a high plateau which had about 5-6 dirt-depressions (tajos/re-pressas) for collecting seasonal rain. Slowly down, cross through the flat valley, then another Z-track up to the plateau on the other side. Then through a ranch gate and down a big mountain.

Went through another ranch gate and passed two signs to "Rancho El Llanito" and another hour or so to come into the south-west Mulege river-wash area. The sign to Rancho El Trinidad and the cave paintings was on our left and we came into town on Ice House Road.

So, yes, the road from Mulege to La Purisima via Guajademi is passable and even machine-graded where it can be. Where its not graded the road is steep and large rocks.

We got through easily in our 1988 Chevy s10 4x4 pickup. I took lots of photos, and I'd love to do a trip report on a separate thread.

TMW - 3-4-2012 at 12:42 PM

Here is the route from Google Earth. I traced it as a path. The marker for Fork G L is the junction where Mulegena backed up and went left. In the Almanac it would be page 15 along the Guajademi arroyo between Las Lagunitas on the left and Tinaja de San Pedro on the right, F7. The switchbacks are marked and on page 15 to the left of El Bateque. The closest cross marks in the Almanac are F6. The Almanac is not very accurate on the actual locations.

KurtG - 3-4-2012 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was... about 65 miles total from La Purisima to Mulege. Absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous country and a glimpse of Baja backcountry that folks just don't usually see...

EL LLANO is up and west of SAN JOSE DE MAGDALENA... But, that isn't on any road from La Purisima to Mulege... so a different El Llano...

Thanks for responding, David, and a big thanks for the detailed maps which I've studied and re-studied.

It appears we were on the correct road.

To clarify, remember I'm describing the journey south-to-north, La Purisima to Mulege: Coming out of Paso Hondo we did take the left fork signed "El Llano" after turning around from Guajademi (which is just east of the main road and isn't a town-proper but a collection of isolated sheep ranches, btw).

We climbed up onto a high plateau and I thought we'd reached Tibet.
Then we came to a Z-track, very serious percentage, down-grade which opened up onto a high plateau which had about 5-6 dirt-depressions (tajos/re-pressas) for collecting seasonal rain. Slowly down, cross through the flat valley, then another Z-track up to the plateau on the other side. Then through a ranch gate and down a big mountain.

Went through another ranch gate and passed two signs to "Rancho El Llanito" and another hour or so to come into the south-west Mulege river-wash area. The sign to Rancho El Trinidad and the cave paintings was on our left and we came into town on Ice House Road.

So, yes, the road from Mulege to La Purisima via Guajademi is passable and even machine-graded where it can be. Where its not graded the road is steep and large rocks.

We got through easily in our 1988 Chevy s10 4x4 pickup. I took lots of photos, and I'd love to do a trip report on a separate thread.

I know where that fork is and if you had gone right it deadends. At least that was the case a few years ago. The "steep and large rocks" were what turned us around in October but I think it will be easier going down than the north to south direction we were going. Thanks for the info and when we go there again I will give a report. That first "Z-track" is where the road ended the first time I tried to go through.

elfbrewery - 3-4-2012 at 06:06 PM

Going from Mulege south, I've been as far as David K's 12 (cave with springs up beyond rancho along arroyo). How do you get from 12 to 13, though??

KurtG - 3-4-2012 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery
Going from Mulege south, I've been as far as David K's 12 (cave with springs up beyond rancho along arroyo). How do you get from 12 to 13, though??

From my experience I don't think that is the exact route. I think the route shown on that map is the old mule trail and the current road is slightly to the West and as I mentioned earlier is not on the map. Also it is possible, likely IMO, that the current route is more recent than the Google Earth image for that area. Again, I will do GPS on our trip there in a little more than two weeks and pass it along for those who want to explore that beautiful area.

David K - 3-4-2012 at 07:18 PM

OK... TW was a big help as well... I got confused when there was talk of going back to Paso Hondo to the left fork... It seems the fork is just south of Guajademi and detours around it. Thanks TW and Mulegena and Kurt!

elfbrewery, that is the EL CAMINO REAL route highlighted on the map and in the satellite images... It seems that the auto road goes over that mountain to the right (west) of the Camino Real route... and rejoins ECR just sout of Guajademi.. Great thing, Baja Nomad is!

KurtG - 3-5-2012 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
OK... TW was a big help as well... I got confused when there was talk of going back to Paso Hondo to the left fork... It seems the fork is just south of Guajademi and detours around it. Thanks TW and Mulegena and Kurt!

elfbrewery, that is the EL CAMINO REAL route highlighted on the map and in the satellite images... It seems that the auto road goes over that mountain to the right (west) of the Camino Real route... and rejoins ECR just sout of Guajademi.. Great thing, Baja Nomad is!

Another factor is the hurricanes of a few years ago changed the routes of the roads in the Mulege valley in some places so the maps can be a little inacurate. David, what map dictum should I use when taking GPS readings there so that they can be used with the almanac?

David K - 3-5-2012 at 09:32 AM

The Mexican Topos (Almanac) is at 'NAD27 Mexico'... however, the scale of the Almanac is not so great, that if you leave the GPS at the factory setting (WGS84) you won't notice a change in position. If, however, you have a large scale topo map made in Mexico... then there may be a few hundred feet difference.

TMW - 3-5-2012 at 12:54 PM

There is a lot of difference between 2006 and 2010. Appears someone has probably bladed the road and/or cut new road.

The Google Earth Image dated 2-13-2010 showing the south switchbacks.

Same image but from 2006.

Now the north switchbacks in 2010.

Same north switchback area from 2006.

Mulegena - 3-5-2012 at 05:35 PM

Yes, I'm sure the route has changed a bit over the years.

I was really impressed with how the roads are kept up and repaired in spite of the extensive damage from the torrent of water brought by the hurricanes over the last few years.

You'll find roadwork graders parked up on the mountainside in the foothills southwest of Mulege and will see new tracks cut around washed-out culverts 'way up in the mountains. Some of the areas which are prone to washout have been paved with cement. Other areas range from good-quality graded dirt road to driving through large loose rock beds and boulder fields.

A note on boulders: The most-southerly of the 2 z-track switchbacks that cross the high plain is the most steep and boulder-strewn of all the passes. We went down that grade from the Paso Hondo side in our pickup and don't think we'd try to go up from the Mulege side. For us, it'd take a beefier truck than our Chevy s-10.

There's a sign for an available rural telephone in the pueblo of Paso Hondo, btw.

David K - 3-5-2012 at 05:45 PM

Nice job with the Google Earth images Tom!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

KurtG - 3-5-2012 at 06:17 PM

Quote:

A note on boulders: The most-southerly of the 2 z-track switchbacks that cross the high plain is the most steep and boulder-strewn of all the passes. We went down that grade from the Paso Hondo side in our pickup and don't think we'd try to go up from the Mulege side. For us, it'd take a beefier truck than our Chevy s-10.

There's a sign for an available rural telephone in the pueblo of Paso Hondo, btw.

That is the cuesta where we went about halfway up and turned around. I suspected that it would be easier to come down it and am glad to hear that it is the worst part, I was starting to feel like a wuss for turning back. In retrospect it was a rare display of common sense on my part. I am really eager to revisit that area.

David K - 3-5-2012 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:

That is the cuesta where we went about halfway up and turned around. I suspected that it would be easier to come down it and am glad to hear that it is the worst part, I was starting to feel like a wuss for turning back. In retrospect it was a rare display of common sense on my part. I am really eager to revisit that area.

Not a wuss! ;)

Hey Kurt, there's nothing that a nice cold glass of orange juice won't cure... right? :light:

KurtG - 3-5-2012 at 06:31 PM

David,
I don't think OJ has ever tasted as good as when I was sick that day. Despite not feeling well I have no regrets about that Santa Maria trip, wanted to go there for many years and hope to again.
Kurt

David K - 3-5-2012 at 06:55 PM

It was great, wasn't it!!?? Poor Neal, but he likes being stuck in the desert! Great help from CG that weekend... Everyone was outstanding in his or her own way.

Mulegena - 3-5-2012 at 09:57 PM

Not a wuss-- turning around in the midst of that ascent speaks volumes of some kick-a@@ driving skill.

We actually stopped half-way down and said...well, you can imagine what we said!... and I got out and walked down to the next elbow just to see if we could make the descent which was kinda silly 'cause if we couldn't get down that grade we sure as heck weren't gonna be able to turn around and go back up!!

I think quads or trucks hunkier than ours would be the best ticket.
Next would be dirt bikes or of course a burro or mule would be the bomb!

Blair - 3-6-2012 at 06:48 AM

Thanks for everything folks, very impressive and invaluable info - read every word more than once. My take-away is yes it is doable, very worthwhile and probably best done S to N. We will be on a group of 5 bikes on the peninsula from April 14 to the 23 going from San Ignacio to the cape and back. I think this segment needs to be included.

Mulegena - you mentioned pics of your trip - id love to see them if you have time to post

TW - that comparison 06 to present very interesting - thanks

Kurt G - If you do do this segment (late march?) I would be very interested in LL's of your trip pics and commentary

David - Your website is very informative - Still going through it. Love your mission stuff and the old baja pics - esp the pics of the ruins in the 50's.

Blair - 3-6-2012 at 07:24 AM

Oh and while were in the area....

Do any of you know what the name of this canyon is (red arrow)? We found it by accident 3 years ago and have been through there twice. Absolutely beautiful area!

LOOKING NORTHWEST

[Edited on 3-6-2012 by Blair]

KurtG - 3-6-2012 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

Do any of you know what the name of this canyon is (red arrow)? We found it by accident 3 years ago and have been through there twice. Absolutely beautiful area!

LOOKING NORTHWEST

I have almost that exact same photo. If I am correct that is the road from San Juan de la Pila through Rancho San Pedro and coming out on the Mission Guadalupe road to the east of where this photo was taken. The summit where the photo was shot is El Potrero. Spectacular views in both directions. A number of years ago I went through that road twice to where it comes out on the Laguna San Ignacio road. To the east it looks like you went by Mission Guadalupe and then out through San Jose de Magdalena, you can also turn right (south) at that intersection and go to Mulege. I love it back there!

TMW - 3-6-2012 at 10:12 AM

I would be very interested in a trip report on this Guajademi Canyon road as I may do it coming back from the NORRA race in May. It would add an extra treat to the Agua Verde and Timbabichi trip.

KurtG - 3-6-2012 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I would be very interested in a trip report on this Guajademi Canyon road as I may do it coming back from the NORRA race in May. It would add an extra treat to the Agua Verde and Timbabichi trip.

We plan to go through there around 3/20-21 and will post a report. Hope you will do the same for both the routes you have planned. I've been to Agua Verde and would like to do the back way out to the south. We have to be a little careful with the Explorer, while it is the Bauer Ed. with 16" wheels the underside is not well protected and limits some of the places we can go. And David, don't tell us to get a Toyota, the Explorer has a feature we can't duplicate in any new vehicle. It is paid for!

David K - 3-6-2012 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for everything folks, very impressive and invaluable info - read every word more than once. My take-away is yes it is doable, very worthwhile and probably best done S to N. We will be on a group of 5 bikes on the peninsula from April 14 to the 23 going from San Ignacio to the cape and back. I think this segment needs to be included.

Mulegena - you mentioned pics of your trip - id love to see them if you have time to post

TW - that comparison 06 to present very interesting - thanks

Kurt G - If you do do this segment (late march?) I would be very interested in LL's of your trip pics and commentary

David - Your website is very informative - Still going through it. Love your mission stuff and the old baja pics - esp the pics of the ruins in the 50's.

Glad you are enjoying it! The whole point is to help anyone have a Baja adventure! Seeing how the missions have been disappearing over the years is sad, but thank God people take photos of them! It is hard for me to see how much of missions I have seen when I was a teen, have changed... San Fernando de Velicata, for example. I camped there on my first (without parents) Baja trip (1974) and took photos. I only wish I went to more missions in the 1970's. I became more interested in them later on.

David K - 3-6-2012 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

We plan to go through there around 3/20-21 and will post a report. Hope you will do the same for both the routes you have planned. I've been to Agua Verde and would like to do the back way out to the south. We have to be a little careful with the Explorer, while it is the Bauer Ed. with 16" wheels the underside is not well protected and limits some of the places we can go. And David, don't tell us to get a Toyota, the Explorer has a feature we can't duplicate in any new vehicle. It is paid for!

Get a Toyota, anyway!! :light::lol::cool:

David K - 3-6-2012 at 01:06 PM

Quote:

LOOKING NORTHWEST

Hi Blair, according to the 2009 Baja Almanac that canyon is called 'Cañada los Picachos' and the arroyo in it is 'Arroyo San Tadeo'... Map 15, C-4 and D-4. Rancho San Tadeo is on the left edge of the map in the canyon.

The Guadalupe mission looks to be about your waypoint Chiv 9 or Chiv 10.

[Edited on 3-6-2012 by David K]

elfbrewery - 3-6-2012 at 01:27 PM

I concur that the canyon is up the San Simon wash off the road to San Juan de las Pilas. We took a wrong turn, went up that way to a rancho and came back down to the correct road.

Has anyone taken the road to San Juan de las Pilas in the last year??

David K - 3-6-2012 at 01:44 PM

The San Juan de las Pilas road is shown on his satellite map (Mul 4, Chiv 8)... but the arrow is pointing to the thet canyon/ valley to the north.

TMW - 3-7-2012 at 11:26 AM

We did the San Juan de las Pilas route a few yeas ago going west to east and met the Lady at the ranch. Great adventure. There was one hill climb I thought I was going to need 4x4 low range.

elfbrewery - 3-7-2012 at 01:59 PM

We went east to west in March, 2008. It was a tough drive. One hill, although not that long, was just cemented boulders and other stuff with some of the big rocks missing. So, not only were we mountain-goating up the steep slope, we were doing it with only 3 wheels on the surface at times. It was also thrilling to negotiate the tight curves even in a jeep. There was one point that looked enticing to drive over, but we stopped to see the view below, thank Goodness, then found the track almost behind us.

After we came down the west side of the mountains is where we made the mistaken turn out to the rancho mentioned in previous note. No one was there, but it looked in use (or at least seasonal). We carried on around to the left and back to the SJP road.

When we passed the rancho at SJP the gate was shut. We decided to go a little further and camp the night. Before going to bed, I told our friends that the route tomorrow would be worse than today and that almost made them pass out on the spot. The map showed road and improved track where we had been, but only potential track ahead till we hit the ranchos.

The next morning, it was almost true. We hadn't driven too far when the track almost disappeared into a wall of reeds and other shrubs. We pushed our jeeps through only to find lots of water in front of us. Holy Cow!
Fortunately, the other driver had his flip-flops handy and trudged out into the pooled water to find it only 5" deep, and then spotted where the track carried on once across. Whew! Didn't want to go back the way we came, especially in failure.

We splashed across pools a couple of times and then made a somewhat steep climb out of the arroyo. The state of the road improved more and more. It's been graded! We almost flew all the way to El Patrocino. The worst part was the washboard along the San Ignacio road and then the PEMEX being out of gasoline. But we had a nice lunch in San Ignacio and sat amazed at how fast we got through that "bad" stretch of road. We were home well ahead of time and our driver kissed the jeep.

So, I wonder how the road has changed since Jimena. Do they sell anything at the SJP ranch (like goat cheese)? If I ever get itchy to do that road again, I'll post a new thread.

elfbrewery - 3-7-2012 at 02:33 PM

Could someone please give me the coordinates for Pie de la Cuesta?
Cheers!

David K - 3-7-2012 at 03:19 PM

The 'foot of the grade' (to/from Guajademi), as in the rancho at the end of the road from Mulege and where the Camino Real goes up/ comes down?

At Rancho Pie de la Cuesta de Guajademi: 26º38'04.80", -112º03'11.27" elev. 1,365'

Looking South, ranch at bottom center:

[Edited on 3-7-2012 by David K]

elfbrewery - 3-7-2012 at 08:44 PM

Yup, that's where we were a few years ago. Do you pay for Google Earth? I don't and I don't have good imagery for the switchbacks you talk about due to the shade in the mountain range. At least I know I can get back to that place as a starting point for the climb over the pass. I guess if the road has been bladed since Jimena, there's a chance to find it. Looks gnarly at any rate, which makes it fun.
Thanks for your help!

TMW - 3-8-2012 at 09:18 AM

Google Earth is free. The download is big so depending on your internet connection speed it can take a while but well worth it.

David K - 3-8-2012 at 11:01 AM

The auto road with switchbacks is not at Pie de la Cuesta, but over on the west side of that valley.

The Camino Real mission trail does come down the mountain to Pie de la Cuesta from Guajademi, and you can see it, but not too well because of the shadow... and it wasn't built as well as the main Camino Real between La Purisima and San Ignacio via Guadalupe mission.

elfbrewery - 3-8-2012 at 01:22 PM

Okay. I've spent an hour or so studying the Almanac and GE trying to make sense of it all. So, north of Pie de la Cuesta, you say the driveable road that goes southwest to Las Chivas snakes counter-clockwise around the mountains and comes back into the Guajademi Canyon north of Agua Grande. That is why you say the El Camino Real goes through Pie de la Cuesta, but that would not be driveable, correct?

slideshow of our trip March 3, 2012...

Mulegena - 3-8-2012 at 01:25 PM

Canyon Guajademi from La Purisima to Mulege on the Paso Hondo trail: http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/lmaria43/Arroyo%20G...

bajalou - 3-8-2012 at 01:29 PM

This is what I get when I click the link----

"This is a Private Album

Please enter the password from album lmaria43 to view this private album."

oops, thanks Bajalou...

Mulegena - 3-8-2012 at 01:42 PM

firstimer I am...

access is now public (i think)
if it still requires a code, try "Guajademi"

Mulegena

David K - 3-8-2012 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Canyon Guajademi from La Purisima to Mulege on the Paso Hondo trail: http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/lmaria43/Arroyo%20G...

What a 'great' road!!! Thanks for the slide show... what a trip!

David K - 3-8-2012 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Okay. I've spent an hour or so studying the Almanac and GE trying to make sense of it all. So, north of Pie de la Cuesta, you say the driveable road that goes southwest to Las Chivas snakes counter-clockwise around the mountains and comes back into the Guajademi Canyon north of Agua Grande. That is why you say the El Camino Real goes through Pie de la Cuesta, but that would not be driveable, correct?

That is how the new auto road looks to me on Google Earth, yes.

The Camino Real comes down the mountain (northbound) to Pie de la Cuesta, correct. I do not know if it was ever drivable in a 4WD. It doesn't look like it, from space.

elfbrewery - 3-8-2012 at 02:03 PM

Mulagena,
Great to see the countryside and the road conditions. Was the photo of the truck almost sliding down the loose rocks the worst part of the drive??

David,
Thanks. My curiosity is sated for that route. Does the other El Camino Road still exist? Is it driveable??

Cheers, y'all!

David K - 3-8-2012 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Mulagena,
Great to see the countryside and the road conditions. Was the photo of the truck almost sliding down the loose rocks the worst part of the drive??

David,
Thanks. My curiosity is sated for that route. Does the other El Camino Road still exist? Is it driveable??

Cheers, y'all!

You can see a lot of the Camino Real still, between San Javier and Santa Maria... I have saved dozens or maybe hundreds of images of the Camino Real on Google Earth as well as maps pointing to where each image is showing. The page with all the links to Baja Nomad posts with the images and maps is here: http://vivabaja.com/missions2/page13.html

This page is at the end of the 27 Baja mission info and photos (end of mission/2): http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions

Most of it is suitable to foot, mule, burro or maybe trail bike... Only where auto roads have been placed on the top of the Camino Real is it drivable (like Santa Marta north towards La Trinidad, or other places. The road south of the Magdalena ruins (near Mulege) is likely the Camino Real route.

[Edited on 3-8-2012 by David K]

Mulegena - 3-8-2012 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Mulagena,
Great to see the countryside and the road conditions. Was the photo of the truck almost sliding down the loose rocks the worst part of the drive??...
Yup, ya' got it in one, Elf.

We were half-way down the South Switchback already in granny and crawling. Got no idea the percentage grade, but suffice to say it was steep. My dog and I got out to look down at the bottom half of the mountain-- not that we were gonna be able to turn around but I wanted to know what we were in for.

Let me reassure everyone thinking of doing this route, north or south, we were never in danger and never slid or lost traction. We made it down easily and safely but decided we'd probably not try to ascend it, at least in our current pickup truck.

Guajademi bypass road (Agua Grande to Las Chivas)

David K - 3-8-2012 at 04:24 PM

Topo area map from '91... and found El Llano on this older map, then located Cerro el Llano on new Almanac!

High Look Satellite

Close Up South

Close Up North

Zoom in road 1 of 3:

Zoom in road 2 of 3:

Zoom in road 3 of 3:

Road plotted on topo map:

Key points underlined.

Guajademi Canyon Road

The squarecircle - 3-8-2012 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:

What a 'great' road!!! Thanks for the slide show... what a trip! [/quote

When 'Winston' saw that freeway and now thinks he wants to try a nite run with his new LED light bar. That is one crazy 'dog' and he is begging to go. Too manny butttons too push when finallly inn loow raange. Gotta go butt needs treees and no seemm treees. Could be a good trek. Regards, sq.

elfbrewery - 3-8-2012 at 07:16 PM

David,
Thanks again. Now I'm fairly sure I know the whole route and the names of the ranchos I was guessing at. I'll check out more of your maps for the area. Need to get out there and see all these new places (new to me, anyway)!!!
The topo maps seem like a great source. Do you find them helpful?

David K - 3-9-2012 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
David,
Thanks again. Now I'm fairly sure I know the whole route and the names of the ranchos I was guessing at. I'll check out more of your maps for the area. Need to get out there and see all these new places (new to me, anyway)!!!
The topo maps seem like a great source. Do you find them helpful?

Yes, in reviewing before a trip or reflecting after a trip. I always have the Almanac with me, but usually I know where I am while driving... I love new places to check out! Now I just need to win the lottery so I can go go go!

Elizzabizzy - 3-9-2012 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
That route was a Camino Real used by the Spaniards and Indians in mission times...

Hola David--
This is the exact post that I was looking for, thank you for sending me the link, I will also check out your photobucket site. You and everyone on this forum have been most kind in providing info to me and I sincerely appreciate it, this is a fabulous site! I will be posting info that I hope will be helpful to others on the forum trying to do my part, I will also be posting on my blog. We can hardly wait to get on the road in the morning...at last. Thanks for your help, your maps are great!

Muchas gracias,
Elizabeth

David K - 3-9-2012 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizzabizzy
Quote:

Hola David--
This is the exact post that I was looking for, thank you for sending me the link, I will also check out your photobucket site. You and everyone on this forum have been most kind in providing info to me and I sincerely appreciate it, this is a fabulous site! I will be posting info that I hope will be helpful to others on the forum trying to do my part, I will also be posting on my blog. We can hardly wait to get on the road in the morning...at last. Thanks for your help, your maps are great!

Muchas gracias,
Elizabeth

Great, and we are looking forward to your trip reports!! :bounce::bounce:

JZ - 10-1-2019 at 09:59 PM

So, did Blair ever make it? Or did he die on the Cuesta?

Blair - 10-2-2019 at 05:52 AM

Yes he did! It was a while back but an excellent ride. I have pics but I'd have to study up on how to post them here.

David K - 10-2-2019 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Blair  
Yes he did! It was a while back but an excellent ride. I have pics but I'd have to study up on how to post them here.

This is posted on the Nomad Photo Forums:

Easy instructions to post photos, for free, on Nomad

June 2019:
To post photos from your Pictures folder on your computer...

Go to www.Postimages.org, make an album if you want to organize your photos to find them easily in the future (by date or by subject). No cost to use Postimages.org.

Change the upload setting from "Do not resize my image" to 640x480 (recommended for forums) or 800x600 (max. on Nomad). You click on the little arrow to see the size choices.

Click "Choose images" and select the photos you want to put on Nomad from your Pictures folder.

Click on the image you want on Nomad and click on "Share" at the top of the screen.

Choose "Hotlinks for forums" (down next to the last one). You can click the little box at the right end of the link and it is now saved on your mouse.

Go to Nomad and paste that link onto the place where you are typing on Nomad. You can put text in below the photo for a caption or your post and if you double space between photo links (for clarity), you can put several photos and captions in a single post on Nomad. You can click "Preview" on Nomad to check and see how it will look before posting to the board.

If you need to fix a post after it is done, click on "Edit" along the edge of your post, and change or delete your post. If you edit more than once, you can delete the previous Edited on tags so only one edit tag will appear after you edit the post.

[Edited on 10-2-2019 by David K]

JZ - 10-2-2019 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Blair  

We are planning to make a run at it soon.

I found it funny that my Google Earth looks almost exact like yours in the OP from 7 years ago.

Blair - 10-2-2019 at 04:44 PM

Hey I think I did the picture thing. This was a few years ago. We did south to north, as I remember north to south would be more more challenging. The road was little traveled, steep and likely subject to hurricane damage. The steep parts were toward the middle of the span which, if found to be impassable may lead to a disappointing retreat. Summary: Worth a shot. Completely awesome!

The Green line:

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by Blair]

David K - 10-2-2019 at 04:52 PM

Great job on the photo posting!

If you want...
You can double-space between the photo links and you can type in, below each link, what the photo is showing.

Blair - 10-2-2019 at 05:06 PM

Thanks for the tutorial! I didn't even have to use DOS commands.

JZ - 10-2-2019 at 06:17 PM

Nice.

TMW - 10-3-2019 at 03:00 PM

We may do the Guajademi trail on our Nov trip. We want to do the loop to Mission Guadalupe then probably down San Raymundo and up Guajademi. Still in the planning stages. I've done the trail in both direction but not since the last wipe out.

Nikno - 10-3-2019 at 03:19 PM

I did Guajademi Canyon from La Purisima to Mulege and then back to San Juanico via San Raymundo at the end of June 2019 and all of the roads were in very good shape.

I was back in the Comondus last week and based on the trails I drove I can't imagine there are any major washouts or issues with the road conditions. They definitely got a lot of rain and everything is very green but no major storms that hit in that area that I am aware of.

David K - 10-3-2019 at 03:39 PM

Thanks!