BajaNomad

What kind of cactus?

HMB2Baja - 3-5-2012 at 09:20 PM

Been told that this is a "Whale Tail". Any ideas of what kind of cactus or what causes this?

IMG_2335bajanomad.jpg - 28kB

Pitaya Agria by any other name...

Mulegena - 3-5-2012 at 09:42 PM

she walks, and swims, in beauty!

Named by locals as Pitaya Agria/Bitter Pitaya Cactus.

The flesh is bitter and never eaten.
The fruit is edible and not bitter.

Bob H - 3-5-2012 at 10:34 PM

Never seen anything like this... and I cannot find it on the internet.

KaceyJ - 3-5-2012 at 10:46 PM

That is a beautiful cactus ,

Where did you take the photo ?

It is called a "cristate" formation

BooJumMan - 3-6-2012 at 06:13 AM

Looks like a cactus with a mutation?

Cactus

tehag - 3-6-2012 at 06:29 AM

It looks like a pitahaya (pitaya) with a condition I have heard called faciata. It is abnormal but not really uncommon.

mcfez - 3-6-2012 at 08:34 AM

Great picture.....and never seen by me. I searched the web, and got this:

The cactus you spotted was probably a crested saguaro. Relatively rare, crested saguaros are easily identified by their gnarled, fan-shaped tops, as shown in the picture above. Researchers disagree on exactly what causes the plant’s growing tip (the apex) to go awry. Theories include everything from lighting strikes to genetic abnormalities. The most widely accepted explanation is that cresting is caused by damage to the apex, either mechanically (man made or nature-caused) or by freezing. The crest doesn’t harm the saguaro, which can continue to produce flowers and fruit. It is estimated that this condition affects approximately one out of every 200,000 saguaros.

motoged - 3-6-2012 at 09:54 AM

I thought that Saguero did not grow in Baja....the Cordon is what Baja has that folks mistakenly call Saguero?

N'est pas?

Natalie Ann - 3-6-2012 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
It looks like a pitahaya (pitaya) with a condition I have heard called faciata. It is abnormal but not really uncommon.

The guide at the Cactus Sanctuary in the Sur agreed with what you say, Tom.

nena

tripledigitken - 3-6-2012 at 10:29 AM

Very close to the La Virgen Shrine in Catavina is a cardon with this condition. Can't find a photo of it though.:(

mcfez - 3-6-2012 at 11:09 AM

Now I am wondering that! Good point motoged...I have to look into that when I am down there next week. Going back to the web a few minutes ago...there seems to be various viewpoints on this!

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I thought that Saguero did not grow in Baja....the Cordon is what Baja has that folks mistakenly call Saguero?

N'est pas?

David K - 3-6-2012 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Very close to the La Virgen Shrine in Catavina is a cardon with this condition. Can't find a photo of it though.:(

Did it look a little like this one? Northeast of El Rosario near Los Martires:

David K - 3-6-2012 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

N'est pas?

Correct... but it is a cardón. :light::yes:

vgabndo - 3-6-2012 at 02:11 PM

Now then, if that is a beneficial mutation, you've perhaps captured the future of Cardon-dom. Would it be easier for a Cardon to survive if some or all of its "arms" where short and bulbous?

We'll have to wait a bit for the answer.:lol:

Russ - 3-6-2012 at 03:56 PM

Another hard life story....

Paulina - 3-6-2012 at 06:07 PM

Mauricio's Cafe in Rosarito Nuevo has this beauty in it's dining room. I posted it a while back asking if anyone had any idea what it was.

P>*)))>{

David K - 3-6-2012 at 06:45 PM

All sorts of 'alien' plants live in Baja!!!

shari - 3-6-2012 at 08:29 PM

here is a good example of a whale cactus! I made an art card out of my photo.