BajaNomad

Surfer's Guide to Baja

TMW - 3-17-2012 at 09:29 AM

I know this is going to make someone mad. From Discover Baja.

Dear Discover Baja Members,

All of you who surf or know someone who does-----SURF'S UP!!! or at least you can learn all about it with three new books by Mike Parise. The revised The Surfer's Guide to Baja is on our book shelf. All updated with a glossy cover, there are 145 pages on invaluable information for surfing Baja.

The new editionof The Surfer's Guide to Mainland Mexico: Colima & Michoacan is also available. There is a third book Surfer's Guide to Costa Rica & SW Nicaragua.

Call Discover Baja 800-727-2252 and order your copies now.
Happy Surfin'
DB Staff

Discover Baja Travel Club
(619) 275-4225
(800) 727-2252
(858) 458-0722 Fax
www.discoverbaja.com

Become a fan on Facebook
www.facebook.com/discoverbaja

woody with a view - 3-17-2012 at 09:37 AM

:bounce:

tiotomasbcs - 3-17-2012 at 12:41 PM

S$ellin out the sport. Imagine Tamarindo with 100 guys out! I bet the guy is not too popular at his home break. Oh well.:no: Tio

Lee - 3-17-2012 at 02:39 PM

Bet RA parties with 100 people and it's all 'ohana.

'Nofre loves him and would be proud to think it's his home break.

Tamarindo might be crowded for a week, then those surfers go home. Like Baja. Plenty of waves to go around. No worry.

watizname - 3-17-2012 at 05:37 PM

With Google Earth, etc there are no "Secret Spots" anymore. The guy is just makin a buck so he can surf. Wish I'd thought of it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

805gregg - 5-17-2012 at 08:19 AM

That has been in publication since 2001, not new at all.

Barry A. - 5-17-2012 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
That has been in publication since 2001, not new at all.

An "all revised" book is normally considered "new" by the Publisher-------thus the statement, I assume!?!?!?!?!

Barry

David K - 5-17-2012 at 08:35 AM

The 2002 edition...

As posted by TW, it has been REVISED.

[Edited on 5-17-2012 by David K]

bigzaggin - 5-17-2012 at 04:36 PM

We should all be elated about this book. It spills not a single secret from K-38 to Zippers. You still need two things to find the goods in Baja: years of looking and a willingness to get 100% skunked (aka "get drunk & go fishing").

woody with a view - 5-17-2012 at 04:54 PM

when are we going?

dtbushpilot - 5-17-2012 at 07:45 PM

I'm in.....

Ateo - 5-17-2012 at 08:15 PM

I'm down. Plan a trip and I'm there. From what I remember, I used this guide in my early days after spending the 90's just crossing the border and thinking I'd find waves everywhere. Those early days to Santa R..........

I came up with 4 inch waves. Woops. Bodysurfing sure was fun.

Went in summer.

Who cares? I drank and ate and broke down. I knew nothing.

I did find waves at La Fonda, Baja Malibu, and occasionally at Scorpion. Man, Baja sucks for waves.

woody with a view - 5-17-2012 at 08:18 PM

right! if you want surf you must go to the mainland.... oooops!

edit: keep eyes peeled for the sacred signal fire smoke rings that will go up announcing the rallying call for an epic trip this summer, to the area that shall not be named.....:biggrin:

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by woody with a view]

Udo - 5-18-2012 at 03:28 PM

SIGNMEUP!

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
We should all be elated about this book. It spills not a single secret from K-38 to Zippers. You still need two things to find the goods in Baja: years of looking and a willingness to get 100% skunked (aka "get drunk & go fishing").

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by Udo]

David K - 5-18-2012 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
right! if you want surf you must go to the mainland.... oooops!

edit: keep eyes peeled for the sacred signal fire smoke rings that will go up announcing the rallying call for an epic trip this summer, to the area that shall not be named.....:biggrin:

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by woody with a view]

Hey Woody... Isn't Costa Rica even better???

woody with a view - 5-18-2012 at 06:51 PM

no. they have the flesh eating disease there.

Oaxaca is better, been there done it. i'm too old and outta shape to charge Puerto Escondido/Chacahua/Salina Cruz like i did in the late 80's.

baja is the final frontier..... protect her!

tiotomasbcs - 5-19-2012 at 07:22 AM

No waves down here!? Just lots of guys driving rental cars around with surfboards on top of their cars with maps and surf guides. Hey Man, can you tell me where... Preserve La Onda. Tio:coolup:

magentawave - 11-28-2012 at 12:22 PM

Is there much of a difference between the newer and older versions of this "Surfers Guide"?

pappy - 11-28-2012 at 02:31 PM

probably not too much. thought it was fairly "weak" on info then and probably still is, which is a good thing. you'd have more fun getting topo maps, picking a road/trail and go see where it leads to!

Dewey - 11-29-2012 at 10:03 PM

Two kinds of spots in Baja. Easy ones to get too and hard ones to get too. The harder it is to get too, the less people in the water. The easy ones are in the book.

willardguy - 11-29-2012 at 10:43 PM

dewey, now theres a classic surfing name! remember back when if you wanted to shape surfboards it helped to have a name that ended with that "ee" sound? dewey,gordie,ole,wardy,renny,hobie, come on veterans, help me out!:cool:

dtbushpilot - 11-29-2012 at 10:56 PM

dopey, stoney, phony baloney....

Bob H - 11-30-2012 at 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
S$ellin out the sport. Imagine Tamarindo with 100 guys out! I bet the guy is not too popular at his home break. Oh well.:no: Tio

Tamarindo... Costa Rica, right? I spent a few days there about 10 years ago at a place called Hotel Pasatiempo. What a great place to be!!

http://hotelpasatiempo.com/

Ordered a fish meal at some restaurant there and shortly thereafter a small boat arrived with a freshly caught dorado!! It was fantastic!

[Edited on 11-30-2012 by Bob H]

805gregg - 7-7-2013 at 07:28 PM

Hey david I have the 1st addition, how much is it worth?

805gregg - 7-7-2013 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey
Two kinds of spots in Baja. Easy ones to get too and hard ones to get too. The harder it is to get too, the less people in the water. The easy ones are in the book.

They are all in the book, if it's worth going there, all surf spots were found by 1973, when my friend Greg Chelew found Punta Pequinia, the rest had already been surfed and talked about, the only place you don't hear about is Cabo San Quintin, I started to go there in the 80's and was stopped by the Military on a sketcy dirt/sand road, and elected to turn around, we were in a large truck and there was not much of a swell so we turned around, I wish we went on, let me know how it is. I had some friends surfing a little known surf spot they called the wall, this was in the early 70's, it's one of the supposed secret spots along the 7 sisters area, just north of Bahia Santa Rosalillita, 30 years before it was a secret

[Edited on 7-11-2013 by 805gregg]

mojo_norte - 7-7-2013 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
dewey, now theres a classic surfing name! remember back when if you wanted to shape surfboards it helped to have a name that ended with that "ee" sound? dewey,gordie,ole,wardy,renny,hobie, come on veterans, help me out!:cool:

Woody

805gregg - 7-15-2013 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:

Woody

Dummie

Udo - 7-15-2013 at 05:57 PM

When we came north from BA at the middle of last month, you should have seen all the vehicles heading south with several board on the roof.

They were heading down to catch the south swell from the hurricanes.
We probably saw about 40 vehicles heading south.

bajajudy - 7-15-2013 at 06:10 PM

We also have this book
Stop by for your copy

woody with a view - 7-15-2013 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
They are all in the book, if it's worth going there, all surf spots were found by 1973, when my friend Greg Chelew found Punta Pequinia, the rest had already been surfed and talked about, the only place you don't hear about is Cabo San Quintin, I started to go there in the 80's and was stopped by the Military on a sketcy dirt/sand road, and elected to turn around, we were in a large truck and there was not much of a swell so we turned around, I wish we went on, let me know how it is. I had some friends surfing a little known surf spot they called the wall, this was in the early 70's, it's one of the supposed secret spots along the 7 sisters area, just north of Bahia Santa Rosalillita, 30 years before it was a secret

so you and your buddies are the reason places are so crowded these days? figures.... btw, seems you know all the names but your geography is a little whack.....

[Edited on 7-16-2013 by woody with a view]

Ateo - 7-15-2013 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

so you and your buddies are the reason places are so crowded these days? figures.... btw, seems you know all the names but your geography is a little whack.....

[Edited on 7-16-2013 by woody with a view]

805:
Wow, there are two Walls? I only thought there was the Wall I knew ______ of _____________. I gotta check this other one out. :?::?:

It's all good fellas.

MMc - 7-15-2013 at 07:47 PM

I have to agree with 850, the only spots to surf in Baja are in that book. There are no other spots and never will be. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.....

boe4fun - 7-16-2013 at 08:22 AM

Back in 1992 I was sitting in the water at Tamarindo between sets and talking to another gringo. He said he couldn't believe how warm the water was compared to "The Rock" in CA. I asked him what rock, and it turned out he was talking about Morro Rock. He worked at the Abalone farm in Cayucos and lived about 20 minutes from my house. Small world.........

BajaGeoff - 7-16-2013 at 10:12 AM

Apparently Mike Parise never made it here.....

magentawave - 7-16-2013 at 11:02 AM

Beautiful...as I drool over my keyboard!

Lee - 7-16-2013 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Apparently Mike Parise never made it here.....

Rocks are very dangerous here, as is surfing, generally. Avoid getting hurt. Don't surf.

BooJumMan - 7-16-2013 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Rocks are very dangerous here, as is surfing, generally. Avoid getting hurt. Don't surf.

... Exactly... "Surfing Sucks! Dont try it!" lol

woody with a view - 7-17-2013 at 02:21 AM

if you don't surf, don't start.....

dtbushpilot - 7-17-2013 at 04:52 AM

If you do people will start calling you one of those "ee" names.....don't let people start calling you one of those "ee" names...

magentawave - 7-18-2013 at 12:39 PM

Hah hah! I love it when surf shop owners sell some clueless beginner one of those stripped down to its skeletal elements surfboards that only the pro's can ride cuz then I know they'll lose interest after the first few times out.

Terry28 - 7-19-2013 at 09:17 AM

Too many kooks spoil the froth!

Lee - 7-19-2013 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by magentawave
Hah hah! I love it when surf shop owners sell some clueless beginner one of those stripped down to its skeletal elements surfboards that only the pro's can ride cuz then I know they'll lose interest after the first few times out.

Any shop owners doing this would fit the definition of scumbag. And out of integrity. Hah Hah.

pappy - 7-22-2013 at 08:21 AM

"those" spots were discovered long before '73, (as far as surfing goes) many of the early California surfers would hit Baja up for surf. late 50's/early 60' a few travelled the long dirt road on motorcycles and "found" most of these spots. however, the were VERY good at keeping it hush-hush. Once the pavement was in all that changed.

to be sure the 70's into 80's was a great time for finding all the secret spots. most kept it secret then as well. why? because we spent a lot of time, years, money and effort to explore. now a person can pick up some flocked up guidebook, get there with little effort, use gps to assist and then post videos of it all over the 'net.

David K - 7-22-2013 at 08:34 AM

With more and more paved and graded 2WD roads, the spots will be found, without a guidebook. It is bad roads that are your best friend (if isolation is your goal).

woody with a view - 7-22-2013 at 06:58 PM

in 84ish we found a spot and went into the pangueros outhouse on the beach and found some grafitti on the wall. it said, "you have found xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx. mention this ad and get $25 off a new board." signed, Al Merrick..... i never did cash in since he was from santa barbara and we were sunset cliffs boyz....

BajaGeoff - 7-23-2013 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
in 84ish we found a spot and went into the pangueros outhouse on the beach and found some grafitti on the wall. it said, "you have found xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx. mention this ad and get $25 off a new board." signed, Al Merrick..... i never did cash in since he was from santa barbara and we were sunset cliffs boyz....

That is awesome Woody!

willardguy - 7-23-2013 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Quote:

That is awesome Woody!
hold on there cowboy, al grew up in encinitas!;)

woody with a view - 7-23-2013 at 04:03 PM

remember when tom curran was killing it at rincon? what boards did he ride?

willardguy - 7-23-2013 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
I'll go ahead and assume you're speaking of tom CURREN? (the merricks are family friends, we know the history);)

willardguy - 7-23-2013 at 04:32 PM

for a fascinating look at Al's life and the ventura/sb surf scene from curren to slater to machado check out Al's video "flow", its a cool watch! :yes:

woody with a view - 7-23-2013 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'll go ahead and assume you're speaking of tom CURREN?

yeah, i never liked him.....

magentawave - 7-24-2013 at 03:07 PM

One beautiful warm Saturday in 70 or 71 one of my friends dads drove us 4 surf-rats to San Miguel and we had perfect chest to head-high waves all to ourselves for the entire afternoon. Yeah, San Miguel! San Miguel became waaaay too crowded for me a long time ago but those were still the days for Baja Norte.

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
"those" spots were discovered long before '73, (as far as surfing goes) many of the early California surfers would hit Baja up for surf. late 50's/early 60' a few travelled the long dirt road on motorcycles and "found" most of these spots. however, the were VERY good at keeping it hush-hush. Once the pavement was in all that changed.

to be sure the 70's into 80's was a great time for finding all the secret spots. most kept it secret then as well. why? because we spent a lot of time, years, money and effort to explore. now a person can pick up some f'd up guidebook, get there with little effort, use gps to assist and then post videos of it all over the 'net.

[Edited on 7-24-2013 by magentawave]

[Edited on 7-24-2013 by magentawave]

BajaRat - 7-24-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I have to agree with 850, the only spots to surf in Baja are in that book. There are no other spots and never will be. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.....

Good , good.... Just what I like to hear :cool:

willardguy - 7-24-2013 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well thats kind of sad, tommy and marie were often overheard commenting on how your style of hard charging high energy style coupled with the smooth gracefulness of a barry kanaiaupuni inspired his own brand of surfing. oh well. :lol:

Ateo - 7-24-2013 at 09:01 PM

Curren rules.

MMc - 7-24-2013 at 09:11 PM

I wish this tread would fade away,so those spots will be forgotten about and become secrets again.:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

Ateo - 7-24-2013 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I wish this tread would fade away,so those spots will be forgotten about and become secrets again.:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

GOOD IDEA. LET US ALL STOP.....now.

woody with a view - 7-25-2013 at 05:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well thats kind of sad, tommy and marie were often overheard commenting on how your style of hard charging high energy style coupled with the smooth gracefulness of a barry kanaiaupuni inspired his own brand of surfing. oh well. :lol:

BK and Hakman and Rabbit B were my kind of chargers.... i could bore you with my personal tom currEn story, but it wouldn't be recieved favorably. just think Sunset Cliffs Localism.

Lee - 7-25-2013 at 07:30 AM

Tom ripping N. Africa in current Surfer's JOurnal.

http://www.surfersjournal.com/current_issue