BajaNomad

Where the heck were they? In the Sierra San Pedro Martir/Mike's region is this?

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2012 at 02:27 PM

I have photos supplied by a friend (Benny) who took these photos, but I would like to one day find some of these picturesque areas to visit. They all require a 4WD vehicle.

Benny and Avi drove in Avi's pristine Toyota Land Cruiser (with a new set of BFG AT/KO tires).

Where the heck were they? :?: :?: :?:

The 4WD-only route to Mike's Sky Rancho

Not sure exactly where the following places are. :?:

A well-functioning 4WD system and good tires will be needed for traction out of this valley.

Avi's Land Cruiser looked showroom new!:bounce:

Benny standing in front of Mike's Sky Rancho (Nov. 2011)

Another unnamed location that would be picture perfect for a picnic.

Gorgeous hiking area - perfect for a picnic of its remoteness and soletude.

The kids with spraycans unfortunately found this canyon.:( Too bad. Maybe it can be rehabilitated?:?:

Beautiful waterfall!:yes:

A beautiful wild flower. What species of flower is this? Where is my Baja Plant & Field Guide by Norm Roberts?

Back to Mike's Sky Rancho. Everything here looks neat and clean.

On the road back to San Felipe. This was a quick day trip for my friends. They did not want to RUIN their Toyota Land Cruiser on the Pole Line Road, so a more tame alternative was sought after. They were satisfied with their short adventure.

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by Ken Cooke]

Fishing

bajaguy - 3-18-2012 at 02:33 PM

Any trout in those streams????...Ah, the swimming kind, not the floaters.

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2012 at 03:27 PM

High in the Sierra San Pedro Martir (~9,000 Ft.) exist endemic Trout species unique to only that region.

Native Trout of Mexico
Ocean Oasis Field Guide

David K - 3-18-2012 at 05:22 PM

Ken, that is an EASY, 2WD road... 20 miles from Hwy. 3 (San Matias area) to Mike's Sky Rancho.

My photo at the same place:

The 4WD part is south from Mike's

See my trip page: http://vivabaja.com/905

[Edited on 3-19-2012 by David K]

Mexitron - 3-18-2012 at 05:22 PM

Looks like the Rio San Rafael and the waterfall upstream from Mike's....the flower is a primrose of some type.

TMW - 3-18-2012 at 06:59 PM

Best time to catch and eat the trout is Jan. and Feb according to Mike Jr. other wise it taste kind of mushie. I've never fished there so I don't know if it is true or not.

Bug - 3-18-2012 at 07:10 PM

When was these pictures taken....

Ken Cooke - 3-18-2012 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bug
When was these pictures taken....

November 21, 2011

BajaBlanca - 3-18-2012 at 09:57 PM

gosh what a beautiful trip - thanks for sharing those photos.

ILikeMex - 3-19-2012 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Looks like the Rio San Rafael and the waterfall upstream from Mike's....the flower is a primrose of some type.

I think you are correct, this is upriver from Mike's - and there are trout in that stream and you can go swimming.

Appetizers???

bajaguy - 3-19-2012 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ILikeMex
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

I think you are correct, this is upriver from Mike's - and there are trout in that stream and you can go swimming.

Those trout look really small!!!!!

Vince - 3-19-2012 at 09:31 AM

When I was hiking in the forest area in March of about '54 and '56 we caught some of those trout in the streams at a higher elevation. They were good eating then, but small. One year we got snowed on and I bet there is snow up there now. That area was and still is very pristine and beautiful. Thanks for the photos.

TMW - 3-19-2012 at 11:12 AM

Remember this place.