BajaNomad

Camera Shop in Ensenada?

Wanderglobe - 4-8-2012 at 02:18 PM

Howdy,

Well, as bad luck would have it, my GoPro Hero cam now resides on the bottom of the bay in San Quintin. It's one of my most used pieces of equipment and I really can't shoot without one. Does anyone know if there is a decent camera shop in Ensenada or something equivalent to a Best Buy that might carry one of these cameras.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

DENNIS - 4-8-2012 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wanderglobe
Howdy,

Well, as bad luck would have it, my GoPro Hero cam now resides on the bottom of the bay in San Quintin. It's one of my most used pieces of equipment and I really can't shoot without one. Does anyone know if there is a decent camera shop in Ensenada or something equivalent to a Best Buy that might carry one of these cameras.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Hate to say it, but I think you'll have to get that thing across the line and hope it can be saved. Whatever you do, keep it submerged in fresh water til you get it to an expert.

I doubt anyone here sells them or knows what they are. Folks here who are into cameras, do all their business at Nelson's or George's in San Diego.

[Edited on 4-8-2012 by DENNIS]

DENNIS - 4-8-2012 at 02:38 PM

oooops.....guess you didn't mention repair. It must be a goner.
Anyway....San Diego, or if you know someone here who can get one online and you have a few days to wait for it.
Again....nothing like it that I know of in Ensenada.

Wanderglobe - 4-8-2012 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Wanderglobe
Howdy,

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Hate to say it, but I think you'll have to get that thing across the line and hope it can be saved. Whatever you do, keep it submerged in fresh water til you get it to an expert.

I doubt anyone here sells them or knows what they are. Folks here who are into cameras, do all their business at Nelson's or George's in San Diego.

The GoPro is an underwater camera and it was mounted to the top of my kayak. the adhesive must have come loose but when I say it's in the bay...I mean...it's in the bay. At the bottom. Never to be seen by me again. :(

DENNIS - 4-8-2012 at 03:02 PM

DEP GoPro.

fandango - 4-8-2012 at 03:52 PM

sorry to hear about your camera.
was yours the HD HERO2 surf edition camera?
are you able to use it as a regular camera without the waterproof housing?
on edit:
would it be suitable to use while snorkeling?

[Edited on 4-8-2012 by fandango]

Wanderglobe - 4-8-2012 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
sorry to hear about your camera.
was yours the HD HERO2 surf edition camera?
are you able to use it as a regular camera without the waterproof housing?
on edit:
would it be suitable to use while snorkeling?

[Edited on 4-8-2012 by fandango]

I didn't have the Hero 2, just the Hero 1 so there's a silver lining in there somewhere. The 2 looks like it take amazing footage. I know the Hero 1 did. It can be used as a regular camera but without all the bells and whistles. That being said it still takes some groovy shots that have the fish eye feel to them. The attached photo was taken using the camera but keep in mind they aren't great in low light.

(sorry for the photo size, just wanted to give an example of the quality. this has also been reduced in size from the original. )

Here's a video I shot using the GoPro 1.

http://youtu.be/cz4l_v-WQLs

They're good to 100 ft + so I would imagine they'd be good for snorkeling although I would research filters that allow for better shots under water.

[Edited on 4-8-2012 by Wanderglobe]

fandango - 4-8-2012 at 05:34 PM

thats a great photo, very clear. the video is nice amd clear too.
thats it, i'm getting one tomorrow.

i'll be going through ensenada on wednesday. i won't NEED to use my new gopro until later, so if you want to buy mine you can. it will still be in the box. they are listed at 300.00 at best buy.

did you use the waterproof case while on the kayak?

seanmiller - 9-21-2017 at 01:17 AM

Im trying to find some good camera store on that area too. Hope someone can point some locations.

willyAirstream - 9-21-2017 at 08:05 AM

Amazon

bajaguy - 9-21-2017 at 08:31 AM

I think the only thing that would come close in Ensenada would be COSTCO or Sam's Club

SFandH - 9-21-2017 at 08:31 AM

Perhaps send a Facebook message to these folks. Do it in Spanish, use translate.google.com if needed.

https://www.facebook.com/GoPro-y-accesorios-Ensenada-1891159...

or

https://www.facebook.com/groups/772568616137141/

[Edited on 9-21-2017 by SFandH]

DENNIS - 9-21-2017 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by seanmiller  
Im trying to find some good camera store on that area too. Hope someone can point some locations.

Looking for new, or repair work?
I've been shootin' around Ensenada for thirty years[+] and nothing I would trust for repairs comes to mind....especially since digital took over the market.
Your best bet for reliable work [without shipping to an online shop]will be San Diego.

Archie - 9-21-2017 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote:

This poor old man is confused. :lol:

For that specific item, you can check Sears in downtown Ens (328 Ruiz Ave.). I got my hero5 there 20% cheaper than amazon or any store NOB.

If you want used gear or need need service for your equipment, you can check on FB for La Casa del Fotografo, (https://www.facebook.com/La-Casa-del-Fot%C3%B3grafo-16721044...), or there are at least 8-10 groups for buy and sale of used and new cameras and related paraphernalia, all of´em in town, from high end gear to point-and-shoot.

Or, if you can wait 2 or 3 days, Amazon.mx or walmart online sometimes have great deals.

AKgringo - 9-21-2017 at 11:03 AM

Archie, you are replying to a five and a half year old post that was resurrected by a Newbie to promote a link of their own. I did not click on the "camera shop" link, but I would bet that it is just trolling for business!

Archie - 9-21-2017 at 11:13 AM

It is.

I stand corrected, thank you AK.

DENNIS - 9-21-2017 at 12:07 PM

Don't know what Sean is looking, but here's an alternate plan for the Go-Pro..............try the AKASO. Amazon has them for as low as 50 bucks. Seems like a lot of camera for the price, but.. let us know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wMqKAxbn0

Bruce R Leech - 9-22-2017 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Wanderglobe  
Howdy,

Thanks in advance.

Scott
walmart had them a couple of weeks ago

DENNIS - 9-22-2017 at 05:29 PM

Hi Bruce....long time no-see. How are ya doin'?

Floatflyer - 9-22-2017 at 05:45 PM

Safety cord! I wish I had connected mine to a pot puller, now residing at the bottom of Puget Sound, grrrr.