BajaNomad

new border crossing times site

Porky Pig - 4-9-2012 at 03:17 PM

This came out a couple of days ago. Seems to be a great help. Border crossing wait times in graph form.

http://traffic.calit2.net/border/border-wait-times.php?type=...

willardguy - 4-9-2012 at 04:09 PM

that is very cool!

BornFisher - 4-9-2012 at 04:32 PM

Thanks for the link!

cj5orion - 4-10-2012 at 07:11 AM

great site !
this has been needed for a long time !

bajadock - 4-10-2012 at 07:43 AM

1. What is the data source?
2. Looks like the average San Ysidro7AM-2PM north crossing wait is 1 hr 15 minutes. Otay 7a-2p is less than an hour.
3. Power Point 101: blow them away with graphs/charts whenever the content of your presentation is weak or flawed.
Hmmmm. ???

TecateRay - 4-10-2012 at 08:02 AM

Tecate numbers need a higher limit for Saturdays and Sundays - 3+ hour waits are frequent these days. What I'm looking for is an "accurate" source to help me make a decision when heading towards the border - Tecate or Otay? Stay another day and come back in the morning, etc.

J.P. - 4-10-2012 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
Tecate numbers need a higher limit for Saturdays and Sundays - 3+ hour waits are frequent these days. What I'm looking for is an "accurate" source to help me make a decision when heading towards the border - Tecate or Otay? Stay another day and come back in the morning, etc.

I don't think there is a ACCURATE source for the last 9 years I have lived in Ensenada Its pretty much a crapshoot what's going on at the border.:?::?::?:

I do know at Tecate from time to time we have been asked by the person at the booth how long we waited in line. It is my belife they implement slow down procedures on days with sparce traffic:fire::fire:

[Edited on 4-10-2012 by J.P.]

David K - 4-10-2012 at 08:44 AM

Thanks Dave (Porky)!

Would love to hear more about how you and Juanita are doing... maybe some news on what's happening there?

Thanks!

Tecate= 30 minutes???

thebajarunner - 4-10-2012 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay

Last Friday we sat for nearly two hours at 5 p.m.
Chart shows 30 minutes
Either we really had bad luck or the chart is not too accurate.

bajachris - 4-10-2012 at 02:29 PM

I find these phone numbers give pretty accurate border wait times for pedestrian, driving and sentri:
San Ysidro: US number 619-690-8999
Otay Mesa: US number 619-671-8999

Don't have a phone number for Tecate.

bajachris - 4-10-2012 at 02:32 PM

There's always the web site: http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/
But I don't usually want to stop my car to check the wait.

bajachris - 4-10-2012 at 02:33 PM

Found Tecate wait time phone number:

US 619-938-8300

g6 - 4-10-2012 at 06:26 PM

The data for the graphs comes from the "Border Wait Times - U.S. Customs and Border Protection" website, http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt. That site only shows a snapshot of data for the past hour or until a new wait time is given. The graphs you see are an aggregate of data from the last 3 months.

Unfortunately, the data on the graphs is only as good as the data that comes in.

For the Tecate data on last Friday at 5pm, the data that came in is way less than the 2 hours mentioned. We're hoping to come up with a way to get more data ...

DENNIS - 4-10-2012 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by g6
The data for the graphs comes from the "Border Wait Times - U.S. Customs and Border Protection" website, http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt. That site only shows a snapshot of data for the past hour or until a new wait time is given. The graphs you see are an aggregate of data from the last 3 months.

Unfortunately, the data on the graphs is only as good as the data that comes in.

For the Tecate data on last Friday at 5pm, the data that came in is way less than the 2 hours mentioned. We're hoping to come up with a way to get more data ...

Welcome to BajaNomad, g6. I can only hope you'll stick around here...like forever. There are so many questions that we would like to ask you concerning Customs procedures from time to time.
We've never, to my knowlege, had an insider in our midst and your insight would be greatly appreciated.
Your agency has always been so inaccessable for us.

This may work better:

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

Thanks Chris. I didn't see your link up there.

[Edited on 4-11-2012 by DENNIS]

g6 - 4-10-2012 at 08:24 PM

Thanks for the welcome, but actually I'm not an insider. I am just a web developer at UC San Diego, and my small team put this together using public data.

Quote:
Welcome to BajaNomad, g6. I can only hope you'll stick around here...like forever. There are so many questions that we would like to ask you concerning Customs procedures from time to time.
We've never, to my knowlege, had an insider in our midst and your insight would be greatly appreciated.
Your agency has always been so inaccessable for us.

willardguy - 4-10-2012 at 08:30 PM

nice going. you could have had a ball with this!:biggrin:

DENNIS - 4-10-2012 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
nice going. you could have had a ball with this!:biggrin:

I cringe when I think about it. :o

Woooosh - 4-10-2012 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
1. What is the data source?
2. Looks like the average San Ysidro7AM-2PM north crossing wait is 1 hr 15 minutes. Otay 7a-2p is less than an hour.
3. Power Point 101: blow them away with graphs/charts whenever the content of your presentation is weak or flawed.
Hmmmm. ???
/
If you look at the individual day wait times below the top summary chart, there is rarely any day with under 100 minutes wait times. In the summary they show as much shorter.

g6 - 4-10-2012 at 09:20 PM

Let's look at today, Tuesday. If I look at the summary, I see this:
8am: 73 min, 12pm: 70 min, 4pm: 61 min, 7pm 49 min

If I look at the Tuesday graph, the green average line matches all of those values. The green line is always under 100 for Tuesday. The lime colored bars represent a min/max.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

If you look at the individual day wait times below the top summary chart, there is rarely any day with under 100 minutes wait times. In the summary they show as much shorter.

mes1952 - 4-11-2012 at 07:51 AM

Not sure this is really accurate. If anyone has been in the regular lanes at Otay for this week, it has been 3 hours plus regardless of the time. Perhaps it''s due to spring break. I've been there at 7:00am and 12:00noon and it has been 3 hours.

g6 - 4-11-2012 at 11:29 AM

Unfortunately, my graphs are only as good as the data coming in. This is what the Otay Mesa data coming in says now:

Standard Lanes: At 11 am PDT 30 min 4 lane(s) open

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/rss.asp?portList=250601&f=html

paul r - 4-11-2012 at 05:00 PM

....cool!....

g6 - 6-20-2012 at 03:42 PM

Version 2 of the website and Android app was just released. This new version now includes passenger-nexus, passenger-ready, commercial-fast and pedestrian ready lanes.