BajaNomad

GUERRERO NEGRO HEADS UP

rob - 4-10-2012 at 10:33 AM

Saw this on La Paz Gringos this morning:

"I would also recommend people NOT to stop at the last gas station before Guerrero negro when coming down from the North. Everybody knows it's a long drive before any kind of civilization can be seen. It's easy to think you have to stop there to use the bathroom, buy some refreshments, etc. but while you do,somebody may be watching. They usually check if there are women, children, if it's a family, if it's 2 or more guys, etc etc, if they bring any kind of valuables sticking out ( cameras, kayaks, tanks, stuff they can steal and sell for easy money).

My sister and her husband used to stop there, and everytime they did, they would have a car or two following them for a while ( but her husband is a fast driver). When they told the federales, they asked them what they could do in such cases and the federal told them preferably not to stop there because of all the reasons I mentioned above."

vacaenbaja - 4-10-2012 at 10:43 AM

Are you talking Jesus Maria ? about an hour north of G Negro
where Carmelitas tamales is?

rob - 4-10-2012 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for catching that! CERTAIN its not Jesus Maria but guess I owe it to Nomads to clarify.

Will be back.

bajachris - 4-10-2012 at 12:24 PM

I went through there alone, woman, nice truck and gased up at Jesus Maria, then drove on to Guerrero, alone, then back again. Didn't have any problems at all. That was presidents week in February. I speak Spanish, and always talk with the locals.

windgrrl - 4-10-2012 at 12:51 PM

Hard to believe...this is one of the prettiest and friendliest gas stops along the way. Last stop there was late March 2012.

DavidE - 4-10-2012 at 02:43 PM

Guerrero Negro does not enjoy exactly a spotless reputation with the locals. At one time the town was ground zero, not Tijuana, Mexicali , Ensenada, nor La Paz, but Guerrero Negro for stolen cars and chop shops.

This is part of Municipio Mulege and the local cops are up to their timpanos in illegal activities. A local teniente de ejercito snorted "They're worse than the criminals".

The security climate isn't dangerous, but reeks of sleaziness. I just spent four days there over the long weekend.

99.9% of the people are nice.

rts551 - 4-10-2012 at 03:29 PM

No not Jesus Maria. This is the station by the military pst and Desert Inn. It has been written up before for inaccurate pumps.

Marc - 4-10-2012 at 03:49 PM

I NEVER stop there (the monument). I use Jesus Maria. G Negro gives me the creeps and always has.

DavidE - 4-10-2012 at 03:54 PM

To the horror of the gasolinista, I just tested the "non-Pemex franchise" station dispenser in Bahia Asuncion. One fuel: Magna. Price as of today April 10, 2012 is 11.0 pesos per liter.

The dispenser delivered 9.97 liters of fuel with a dispenser reading of 10.0 liters.

For all intents and purposes, the dispenser is dead-on accurate. It is old fashioned, right out of the 70's.

Test measure is a Seraphin, with security seal and certificate traceable to NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology). This is the type of test measure that the state of california bureau of weights and measures uses to calibrate their own field use test measures. In essence, it is a lab grade instrument.

goldhuntress - 4-10-2012 at 04:44 PM

Why stop there anyway when you can go into GN, fill up at a nice clean station and go to Tacos El Muelle, or Tony's as I call it, and get an awesome fish taco! GNs not bad once you get to know the place. No, it's not a picturesque town but there's really nice folks there and some pretty good food too.

David K - 4-10-2012 at 04:58 PM

The Eagle Monument is on the state border, or 28º Parallel. This was/ is a 'parador' or rest stop of the Transpeninsular highway (Pemex station, trailer park, restrooms, cafeteria, hotel) called Parador Paralelo 28. The eagle is now inside a military base and well hidden by tall trees... sad actually.

Guerrero Negro has grown and now hase all the services of hotels, restaurants, etc. that was lacking in 1973 when the highway was built here... so the parador was needed.

This was not Guerrero Negro, but about 2.2 miles north of the Guerrero Negro entrance road, that leads another 2 miles into central Guerrero Negro.

Guerrero Negro has expanded so much the past 30 years, that calling the Pemex at the state border 'Guerrero Negro' isn't so far off, anymore!

gnukid - 4-10-2012 at 05:13 PM

Drop it, this is heresay from a third party, (no connection) no name, no actual story, with no evidence of anything untoward, no actual facts whatsoever.

People here on BN have a responsibility to become critical thinkers and dismiss so many of these nonsensical posts which aren't based in direct report or something sourced, credited back to the source, but are instead repeating nonsense.

This post, is like so many of the recent offensive posts here, slander, heresay, abuse, nonsense with apparently no point but to further confuse, conflate and create an environment of fear where critical thinking and thoughtful discuss are no longer recognizable.

Ya!

DavidE - 4-10-2012 at 05:27 PM

Guerrero Negro ATM

Location: Adjacent to the gasolinera on the left on the spur road into town

Exactly: On the eastern border of the station near the street

Source: BANCOMER BBVA

# Of Machines (1)

Ateo - 4-10-2012 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Drop it, this is heresay from a third party, (no connection) no name, no actual story, with no evidence of anything untoward, no actual facts whatsoever.

People here on BN have a responsibility to become critical thinkers and dismiss so many of these nonsensical posts which aren't based in direct report or something sourced, credited back to the source, but are instead repeating nonsense.

This post, is like so many of the recent offensive posts here, slander, heresay, abuse, nonsense with apparently no point but to further confuse, conflate and create an environment of fear where critical thinking and thoughtful discuss are no longer recognizable.

Ya!

Well said!

rob - 4-10-2012 at 06:02 PM

Gnukid - self-righteous, pompous rudeness is expected - but for heaven's sake get something right! I think you struck out on every statement you made - par for the course . . .

Here is the full post, which I excerpted. It has names, email addresses and concerned direct family. Unfortunately, Baja Nomads does not reproduce the drag 'n drop graphics/rich text. Posted by "Chac" maggiechac@yahoo.com, Mexican citizen and directly references a family experience.

A direct report, sourced by a Mexican and so credited. If it is "slander, heresay, abuse(?), nonsense yadda yadda, that is merely your opinion, whose value readers can decide for themselves.

----------------------------------------------

Re: Green Angels

Usually when a phone doesn't have signal it says "emergency calls only" Green
angels number fits that category and you can only dial that type of numbers.

Also the green angels job is NOT to go get you when you're in trouble. They
actually drive up and down whatever kms or space they have to during their
shift and they help whoever is on the road with problems. Either these people
called or not. They usually drive very slowly on the highway.

I would also recommend people NOT to stop at the last gas station before
Guerrero negro when coming down from the North. Everybody knows it's a long
drive before any kind of civilization can be seen. It's easy to think you have
to stop there to use the bathroom, buy some refreshments, etc. but while you
do,somebody may be watching. They usually check if there are women, children, if
it's a family, if it's 2 or more guys, etc etc, if they bring any kind of
valuables sticking out ( cameras, kayaks, tanks, stuff they can steal and sell
for easy money).

My sister and her husband used to stop there, and everytime they did, they would
have a car or two following them for a while ( but her husband is a fast
driver). When they told the federales, they asked them what they could do in
such cases and the federal told them preferably not to stop there because of all
the reasons I mentioned above.

My family and I are Mexicans, so I don't know if it's a common occurrence with
foreigners driving down that highway, but just in case, it would be good to be
safe.

Hope it helps
Maggs

David K - 4-10-2012 at 06:16 PM

Thank you Rob!:light:

gnukid - 4-10-2012 at 06:45 PM

Rob,

This is a discussion forum, I am engaging you respectfully in discussion about your message and why I think it is seriously problematic for our well being in Baja.

Your personal attack (ad hominem) avoids the subject, let's stick to the subject and facts.

1) This is a third party post from another forum, there is no actual named person, nor any person who is a victim of any crime. It's a vague story about thinking they were followed, on a one way road that every single car must use.

2) This post broadcasts fear but fails to note any facts, this type of post must therefore be disregarded.

If you have anything to add referencing a crime that has been reported, naming an actual victim then we would have something to discuss.

You may be unaware of your role, however, promoting unverified fear-mongering stories naming a location in this public forum without any basis in fact, nor victim, is a serious issue reaching the level of chargeable treason against this fine country and it's people. As well, if you are a US government employee this is a crime as well.

[Edited on 4-11-2012 by gnukid]

willardguy - 4-10-2012 at 06:55 PM

yeah rob. how do we know you really have a sister?:spingrin:

roundtuit - 4-10-2012 at 08:19 PM

My only question is how come the station was closed for two years ???

woody with a view - 4-10-2012 at 08:38 PM

siesta?

BooJumMan - 4-11-2012 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Rob,

This is a discussion forum, I am engaging you respectfully in discussion about your message and why I think it is seriously problematic for our well being in Baja.

Your personal attack (ad hominem) avoids the subject, let's stick to the subject and facts.

1) This is a third party post from another forum, there is no actual named person, nor any person who is a victim of any crime. It's a vague story about thinking they were followed, on a one way road that every single car must use.

2) This post broadcasts fear but fails to note any facts, this type of post must therefore be disregarded.

If you have anything to add referencing a crime that has been reported, naming an actual victim then we would have something to discuss.

You may be unaware of your role, however, promoting unverified fear-mongering stories naming a location in this public forum without any basis in fact, nor victim, is a serious issue reaching the level of chargeable treason against this fine country and it's people. As well, if you are a US government employee this is a crime as well.

[Edited on 4-11-2012 by gnukid]

Agree 100%

mcfez - 4-11-2012 at 07:23 AM

Third party information...sounds like reading a California newspaper article about Baja :o:o:o

Barry A. - 4-11-2012 at 07:57 AM

Based on GnuKid's criteria, there would not be many warnings of this type posted anymore---------which to my way of thinking negates a good percentage of what NOMAD'S is all about.

We are not children-------we can evaluate the situation when there-------but warnings are always helpful in watching out for situations that could potentially be harmful. After all, they are only "warnings", not edicts.

That's my take, anyway. Normally I agree with GnuKid, but not this time.

Barry

rts551 - 4-11-2012 at 08:02 AM

We may not be children but there is always someone in the crowd that knows more than everyone else.

Barry A. - 4-11-2012 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
We may not be children but there is always someone in the crowd that knows more than everyone else.

Isn't that a good thing? We can take it or leave it------but at least we are alerted.

Barry

brewer - 4-12-2012 at 08:47 PM

Jesus Cristo. There has been talk of rip off fuel fill ups there for a while. If your traveling past Guerrero, fill up at Jesus Maria and keep on driving. It should be an obvious fact that no one is ever at that Pemex getting fuel.

Word.

watizname - 4-12-2012 at 09:02 PM

What Barry said.

paranewbi - 4-13-2012 at 03:56 AM

I had something to say, but I can't give 100% rockbottom proof that it's not something I just heard from somewhere else and that I know exactly who said it because I'm not even sure if I'm me writing this because I won't include my personal name on a public post or let you know where to come and bother me to prove I even exist.

So don't read or believe anything in this post.

DavidE - 4-13-2012 at 06:52 AM

I did do dispenser accuracy tests in downtown GN in 1994 and found the dispensers to indicate +7% greater quantity than what the Seraphin measured. My opinion and belief is that franquicia owners hold contracts close to their vest and even though eighteen years has passed since that momentous journey Jaguars do not change their spots.

Don't let the attendant throttle the dispenser nozzle when fueling. I let the attendant do this at the gasolinera at the corner of Calle Delante & Mex 1 in Ensenada and even though I ordered fuel by the liter, I drove out with an embarrassing shortage of Magna. Sanchez the owner of SAHISA was a crook in 1994 and it looks like he or his boys are crooks in 2012. I met Sanchez through Carlos the owner of the hotel bahia in 1994 at carlos' tortuga restaurant. Sanchez was a shifty eyed very wealthy man whom I would not trust far enough to throw him.

ncampion - 4-13-2012 at 09:47 AM

Why stop at that station at all when going South? It's not an "easy off, easy on" station and there's a new station on the road into town that actually has clean restroom, friendly attendants and a pretty good snack shop. I've not "measured" the fuel they despense, but I'm pretty familiar with my car's fuel gage and I've never come away from a fill-up there with a sense that I didn't get the expected amount of gas.

LaPazGringo - 4-13-2012 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
My sister and her husband used to stop there, and everytime they did, they would have a car or two following them for a while

Every time? Come on. Chalk it up to paranoia. No offense, but I've heard similar stories about half the Pemex stations from TJ to Los Cabos. Not buying it...

LaPazGringo - 4-13-2012 at 04:04 PM

Quote:

Ya!

But my brother-in-law's next door neighbor has a friend who told him that the same gas station might have given him less gas than he thought he paid for. And he thinks it's possible that there might be a chance it might have happened every time.

I'm with gnukid, BS like this is good-for-nothing.

rts551 - 4-13-2012 at 05:30 PM

gringo- want to bet on BS at a couple of stations that I know about?

LaPazGringo - 4-14-2012 at 11:26 AM

Quote:

No, your report would be solid, fact-based information from a trusted source, not unsubstantiated paranoia.

David K - 4-14-2012 at 11:29 AM

:lol:

rts551 - 4-14-2012 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaPazGringo
Quote:

No, your report would be solid, fact-based information from a trusted source, not unsubstantiated paranoia.

Yes the trusted source is myself. Fuel Jugs do wonders to check accuracy. Keeps me aware of where pumps are accurate and where they are not. I had to deal with the station south of Vizcaino for ages for premium (next station with premium another 30 miles away). Fortunately, we now have a new station, YES!

BajaRat - 4-14-2012 at 01:47 PM

Quote:

Ya!

But what will we do without unwarranted fear and programmed misinformation. We love and need Guerrero. Once again don't let a couple of bad apples spoil the spoils. :cool:

BajaRat - 4-14-2012 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob

My sister and her husband used to stop there, and everytime they did, they would have a car or two following them for a while ( but her husband is a fast driver).

Follow the fam like that and we'll hand you your "Burro":cool:

elfbrewery - 4-14-2012 at 02:37 PM

I close my eyes and pay at the PEMEX wherever it is. I do the normal checking to see if the pump is reset, don't pay with much more than I think I'll get change for, etc., but I don't have faith in getting a correct fill in any PEMEX stations anymore. My heart/wallet has been broken by such trust. This extends to G.N. whether on the road or in town and especially Jesus Maria (where we got ripped by over 30% the last time). Gas is more expensive up North, so I just go in peace.
Saying that, it's still good to know where a safer bet on fair gas is.

DavidE - 4-14-2012 at 02:56 PM

In the op's story I don't like the part about "Being Followed". This is one way rateros hold up motorists in other parts of Mexico.

The first of two cars positions himself on a lightly traveled section of highway close to a side road that is both deserted and goes out of sight of the main highway. He listens for his cellular to text a message or an outright voice call.

The second part hangs around a toll plaza rest area, a rest stop or gasolinera. He is a halcon. He appraises everyone he can and if he should spot a wealthy man or couple in a BMW, Mercedes, Navigator or Escalade, he rings up the sicario. The sicario knows exactly how much transit time is needed to travel the distance. As the pigeon gets close the halcon closes the distance, the sicario places his vehicle sideways across the highway and at the end, the halcon is riding the pigeon's bumper. A stop is made.

Neither car has license plates. most times the perps pull ski masks on. The pigeon is instructed to follow the halcon down the deserted side road while the armed sicario follows closely. Threats have been made, a shot or two has been fired and the pigeon is very compliant.

The pigeon is fleeced, and has little identification data to tell the cops. The robbers head back to the highway, baling wire tie their license plates back on to keep from getting stopped by the PFP and

There you are...

Now this is certainly different from what the OP described. Take it for what it's worth...

Sweetwater - 4-14-2012 at 06:35 PM

Threads like this one are a primary reason I've had trouble recruiting fellow gringos to come to Baja with me. Between the US press coverage and the speculative posts that frighten many ordinary people, nobody wants to be on a highway in Baja, let alone Mexico mainland. My friends are fly-ins to Cabo this past week and have no idea of what they're missing in between.

Please tell me about actual occurrences and how they happened but don't fill these pages with speculations and innuendos. I'd like to know if something happened, when and how it happened but there are plenty of horror movies to watch and I think the rateros story could just as easily play out on any two lane road in the US or Canada that is lightly traveled.

BTW, my worst Pemex experience was at the downtown Loreto Pemex where the attendant attempted to short change me 100 pesos. He also screwed over everyone in my group who used USDollars by deducting an extra 20% on the exchange. This is the type of real information I'd like to hear.

[Edited on 4-15-2012 by Sweetwater]

DavidE - 4-14-2012 at 07:22 PM

Highway robberies are rare as a blue eyed iguana in Baja. But 90% of those that have happened i.e. McMillin race team driver Tijuana on Mex 1-D have happened at night. Some roadside hold ups have occurred to folks stopped for lengthy period alongside Mex 1 in remote areas. But these incidents are as rare as a good meal at McDonalds.

norte - 4-14-2012 at 07:46 PM

Why is it that some people on this forum refuse to believe the FACT that there is crime in Baja? Read the Mexican Newspapers. Check the San Diego news. Numerous bloggers summarize the daily crime. Are economics (your investments) or the need for tourists so important that you would hide the crime that occurs or stick your head in the sand. And to throw out zingers like there is crime in the US doesn't seem to be relevant. We are talking about crime in Baja. Better to be aware that it does exist.

Lee - 4-14-2012 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
BTW, my worst Pemex experience was at the downtown Loreto Pemex where the attendant attempted to short change me 100 pesos. He also screwed over everyone in my group who used USDollars by deducting an extra 20% on the exchange. This is the type of real information I'd like to hear.

Now ya see, crime is subjective. The Pemex attendant didn't really screw anyone by adding a 20% surcharge. Looks like a businessman making a profit, to me. Isn't exchange rate negotiable? Or was everyone in the group willingly screwed? Hasn't there always been a higher fee for USD further South?

Is attempting to short someone 100 pesos really a crime? Maybe to gringoes. Maybe to Mexicans it's a little hussle. No harm, really, is there?

It's a game, folks. Lighten up.

BajaRat - 4-15-2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater

Now ya see, crime is subjective. The Pemex attendant didn't really screw anyone by adding a 20% surcharge. Looks like a businessman making a profit, to me. Isn't exchange rate negotiable? Or was everyone in the group willingly screwed? Hasn't there always been a higher fee for USD further South?

Is attempting to short someone 100 pesos really a crime? Maybe to gringoes. Maybe to Mexicans it's a little hussle. No harm, really, is there?

It's a game, folks. Lighten up.

Its only a game till someone looses a hand :cool:
Reach in my pocket and you won't get yours back. It's like walking out of a bank counting your money, you not only endanger yourself but give criminals the confidence to make more brazen attacks thinking every person is an easy mark. Don't put up with crap unless the odds are stacked against you. A mans gotta know his limitations.

Lee - 4-15-2012 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Reach in my pocket and you won't get yours back. It's like walking out of a bank counting your money, you not only endanger yourself but give criminals the confidence to make more brazen attacks thinking every person is an easy mark. Don't put up with crap unless the odds are stacked against you. A mans gotta know his limitations.

Well, it's a game no matter who wins. Sometimes, education isn't free.

Seriously, if your Loreto Pemex story is the ''worst'' experience you've had, you are doing well.

If there's a generalization here it might be that (1) all gringoes have money; and (2) profiling exists.

Expect to be stopped in CC, expect the cops to scam you. You don't have to like the game -- just have fun and play it. It's the Mexican way.

Have fun be happy.

BajaRat - 4-15-2012 at 11:32 AM

Lee I like to think we're talking about the same thing.
Handing Gotta Peso in Catavina 5 pesos and asking for change, FUN
Having to seriously injure or worse some fools attempting to harm the Fam, NOT FUN

Sprocket - 4-16-2012 at 08:09 AM

2 years ago a friend stopped for 2 young ladies with the hood open on thier car, this was just north of La Ventana on the way from San Felipe to Mexicali. 2 men came out of the bushes and took his truck at gun point. Fact.
He learned from the Federales that gas stations, resturants, and even the Border crossings all have look outs looking for Marks. Gas attendents are the number 1 look outs. They see your money and can get a very close look at the interior of your cars.
PLease keep in mind , what happend to my friend could happen to anyone. He thought he was keeping a low profile by driving a older ford truck with a shell on it so you couldnt see that he was hauling stuff for the construction of his home.
These people use several diffrent tricks to get you to stop and keep you off guard.

Lee - 4-16-2012 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket
2 years ago a friend stopped for 2 young ladies with the hood open on thier car.....

Is the question gringo good samaritans should not stop for hitchhikers or distressed appearing vehicles? Yes.

Don't stop in deserted out of the way places. I don't. If you do, take your chances.

willardguy - 4-16-2012 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket
2 years ago a friend stopped for 2 young ladies with the hood open on thier car.....

Is the question gringo good samaritans should not stop for hitchhikers or distressed appearing vehicles? Yes.

Don't stop in deserted out of the way places. I don't. If you do, take your chances.
uh, what were they wearing?:coolup:

LaPazGringo - 4-16-2012 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Why is it that some people on this forum refuse to believe the FACT that there is crime in Baja? Read the Mexican Newspapers. Check the San Diego news. Numerous bloggers summarize the daily crime. Are economics (your investments) or the need for tourists so important that you would hide the crime that occurs or stick your head in the sand. And to throw out zingers like there is crime in the US doesn't seem to be relevant. We are talking about crime in Baja. Better to be aware that it does exist.

I just re-read the thread to try to figure out who you're talking about. From what I can tell, you're totally missing the point of us who are crying foul on this story.

Sweetwater - 4-17-2012 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat

Well, it's a game no matter who wins. Sometimes, education isn't free.

Seriously, if your Loreto Pemex story is the ''worst'' experience you've had, you are doing well.

If there's a generalization here it might be that (1) all gringoes have money; and (2) profiling exists.

Expect to be stopped in CC, expect the cops to scam you. You don't have to like the game -- just have fun and play it. It's the Mexican way.

Have fun be happy.

Mostly agreed....that's why I termed it an experience vs a crime....and that's also why I labelled it "my worst Pemex experience"....I've had much worse experiences with the stupido gringos I brought to Baja in February....but that is documented elsewhere...:cool:

Bajaboy - 4-17-2012 at 11:12 AM

I was recently told to watch out for the chupacabras that like to surf near the sisters:light:

gnukid - 4-17-2012 at 11:18 AM

You heard about the great white sharks?

Taco de Baja - 4-17-2012 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I was recently told to watch out for the chupacabras that like to surf near the sisters:light:

It's true! One of them climbed into my buddy's sleeping bag at the end of a trip one year. :o We call it "Chupacabra camp" every time we pass by it now. Darn thing left a big red welt!

Even though the location is on the access road to the coast; I can't provide a more precise location. I fear the wrath of the secret Baja beach spot society, more than the Chupacabras.

Bajahowodd - 4-17-2012 at 05:00 PM

I have to weigh in with gnukid on the idea that any single story does not make a trend.

That said, I do know that the people that operate the Pemex by the state line have been closed on a number of occasions simply because Pemex would not deliver fuel to them for whatever reason. You do the thinking on that.

And since, way back in this thread there was a mention of the ATM at the "new" Pemex just heading into town, gotta say that ever since the station opened, my experience has been that this particular ATM is functional only about 50% of the time. There is an ATM at the bank for anyone willing to drive a couple of miles on in toward the salt facility.

Erring on the safe side

Lee - 4-17-2012 at 05:49 PM

There are things I do when stopping at Pemex: focus, don't get distracted, watch the pump reset to zero, count my money out of sight of the attendant, say the amount I'm handing him.

And now, watch to see if anyone is following me. Not a big deal.