BajaNomad

Directions to crossing East Mexicali border going north

bajabigfoot - 4-14-2012 at 03:41 PM

This is our first trip going north through San Felipe. We are coming north from Los Barriles. Can anyone give us some specific directions on the East crossing. We hear that is the best one to take.

MICK - 4-14-2012 at 04:46 PM

going north on 5 turn rt at the kenworth sign just past costco. stay on that road until you see the border fence. turn rt on argentina and follow that for 1.5 miles turn left into the border.
Mick

Marc - 4-14-2012 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MICK
going north on 5 turn rt at the kenworth sign just past costco. stay on that road until you see the border fence. turn rt on argentina and follow that for 1.5 miles turn left into the border.
Mick

Thanks Mick: This is my next trip.
Marc

David K - 4-14-2012 at 07:28 PM

That is incredibly easy sounding Mick!

bajalou - 4-14-2012 at 07:43 PM

The route I took ever since the East crossing was opened

mcfez - 4-14-2012 at 11:14 PM

Hope you are doing well Lou. Yes...we just took that route for the first time...and will NEVER go the old crossing again. I cant believe how easy it was to follow the route off M5

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
The route I took ever since the East crossing was opened

Bajajorge - 4-15-2012 at 01:32 PM

I always use the east crossing, north and south. I quit using the Calzada Gomez Morin route last year when all the mordida stuff started. I hear that that has now stopped though. Northbound I now turn off Hwy 5 around KM6, Robleda Industrial area. A bit more complicated than the Morin route with a ton of stop signs, but few if any Policia.

MICK - 4-15-2012 at 01:39 PM

I went that way once it took about the same amount of time but I had a student of mine who has an uncle who works near robelda and He told me to never go that way because of the gang acitivty mainly at night but he said that it could be bad if I broke down.
I have not heard of any mordida problems for sometime coming or going
Mick

sancho - 4-15-2012 at 03:34 PM

I probably should get with the program, I go to
San Felipe a couple times a yr., coming from San
Diego I go in the Old Downtown crossing and
out the same way. I suppose it is habit more than
anything, on a busy day the downtown crossing north
is 1 hr.-1 1/4 hr, I beleive the east crossing is approx.
7 mi. east of Calexico, I couldn't deceide if it was any
more benificial

nbacc - 4-16-2012 at 07:24 AM

East Crossing is the only way to go! Nancy

BajaWarrior - 4-16-2012 at 07:56 AM

Turn right at first signal heading north (colonio robledo) and take all the way to the border fence. Turn right 1 mile to crossing and turn left into border. Best entrance for sentri/ready lanes.

Driving instructions thru Mexicali north

bajabigfoot - 4-16-2012 at 08:46 AM

Thanks for all the great info - yes getting there is half the fun. But it is great when you know which road to take and where to turn. ;D

CortezBlue - 4-16-2012 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Turn right at first signal heading north (colonio robledo) and take all the way to the border fence. Turn right 1 mile to crossing and turn left into border. Best entrance for sentri/ready lanes.

You stole my thunder.
This is probably the best route, once you figure it out.

Yes, turning right at the first traffic light where there is an OXXO on the north east corner.
The best key on this route is to follow the signs to the airport and then the crossing II

Along the way you will have some crazy points. The intersection near the Coca Cola plant is really crazy. Once you get to the intersection in Nuevo Mexicali and turn right you will see a fiberglass swimming pool store on the left. When you get to the next main intersection you will see a monument to BCN that depicts 3 hard working men, turn left here. Once you turn left it is probably best to stay in the left lane until you get past the commercial crossing as there can be many semi trucks backed up.
One you are past the commercial gate get in the right lane. Just past the 4 way stop you will see the entrance to the east gate. The first entrance is the standard crossing the second is the SENTRI entrance.

The first time you take this trip you will question if you are going correctly, but you are.

[Edited on 4-16-2012 by CortezBlue]

Bajajorge - 4-16-2012 at 09:26 AM

http://www.sanfelipelife.com/post/Directions-to-El-Dorado-Ra...

This site is for south bound turning left out of the East Crossing. Just print out the directions and follow them backwards, from the bottom up. Another post on here says where to turn off Hwy5 when coming northbound.:bounce: