BajaNomad

new members Introduction

BajaWarrior - 4-19-2012 at 04:51 AM

Welcome to the board. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Baja traveler or resident?

DENNIS - 4-19-2012 at 06:39 AM

Welcome to BajaNomad, Dabbs. What's up in your Baja life?

Bob H - 4-19-2012 at 07:28 AM

Welcome aboard to the board Dabbs. Your name is interesting and so must you be. Tell us more.

David K - 4-19-2012 at 07:50 AM

Welcome Dabbs! What parts of Baja do you enjoy?

DENNIS - 4-19-2012 at 07:50 AM

Well now...lessee....
There's one Dabbs Taylor in Texas.

http://www.whitepages.com/name/Dabbs-Taylor/Port-Arthur-TX/7...

dpwahoo - 4-19-2012 at 09:10 AM

Long time lurker. Finally was able to register. You folks are great. Lots of info.

Cypress - 4-19-2012 at 09:32 AM

dabbs and dpwahoo, Welcome aboard!;D

Archie - 4-23-2012 at 05:13 PM

Hola nomads... finally recovered my pswd to log in.

Resident in Guerrero Negro, lived in TJ, Tecate, Ensenada, SQ, BoLA and GN, i dont think i can declare a favorite part of the peninsula.

Biologist and free soul, currently working on land conservation of ejidos mostly in Valle de los Cirios and some in Vizcaino.

Salud!

MMc - 4-23-2012 at 05:23 PM

Welcome all three of you. Dabbs and Ddwahoo how about some background.

Mexitron - 4-23-2012 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Archie
Hola nomads... finally recovered my pswd to log in.

Resident in Guerrero Negro, lived in TJ, Tecate, Ensenada, SQ, BoLA and GN, i dont think i can declare a favorite part of the peninsula.

Biologist and free soul, currently working on land conservation of ejidos mostly in Valle de los Cirios and some in Vizcaino.

Salud!

Nice...need any help?! :spingrin:

CortezBlue - 4-23-2012 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Well now...lessee....

Unnecessary

Bajatripper - 4-23-2012 at 06:13 PM

Welcome to the board, Dabbs. Just a word of friendly advice, you might want to reconsider placing your name out there for all to see--and work with those who have it captured so they erase it. Sorry to sound paranoid, but around here, some folks can get overly serious at times. Why risk it?

DENNIS - 4-23-2012 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Quote:
Well now...lessee....

Unnecessary

So are you.

mcfez - 4-23-2012 at 06:19 PM

Welcome to the BN.

You will find that I am the most favorite BN here. Even DENNIS thinks I am so cool.

Great folks here.....at the BN.

LaPazGringo - 4-23-2012 at 06:19 PM

Welcome, guys. I'm pretty new here and it's a friendly bunch (for the most part). :biggrin:

DENNIS - 4-23-2012 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
You will find that I am the most favorite BN here. Even DENNIS thinks I am so cool.

Absolutafreakinmente. Moooycooool.

dpwahoo - 4-24-2012 at 01:27 AM

We are Dennis and Krystyna. 35 year Teamster, close to retirement, home in Victorville and La Mision, BCN. Fish longe range out of San Diego for many years, and golf some. Driven to BCS a few times, as far south as agua verde. Traveled all over mainland and also Cabo a few times. Will have to sharpen my surf fishing skills. Looking forward to meeting folks in that area, or any areas of baja, for that matter.:cool:

CortezBlue - 4-24-2012 at 02:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Quote:
Well now...lessee....

Unnecessary

So are you.

Sr Card##
I am amazed, at your age and lifestyle, you can remember 6th grade responses :biggrin:

mcfez - 4-24-2012 at 07:04 AM

You know a Ron Fensler in Victorville?

Quote:
Originally posted by dpwahoo
We are Dennis and Krystyna. 35 year Teamster, close to retirement, home in Victorville and La Mision, BCN. Fish longe range out of San Diego for many years, and golf some. Driven to BCS a few times, as far south as agua verde. Traveled all over mainland and also Cabo a few times. Will have to sharpen my surf fishing skills. Looking forward to meeting folks in that area, or any areas of baja, for that matter.:cool:

durrelllrobert - 4-24-2012 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Welcome to the board, Dabbs. Just a word of friendly advice, you might want to reconsider placing your name out there for all to see--and work with those who have it captured so they erase it. Sorry to sound paranoid, but around here, some folks can get overly serious at times. Why risk it?

I've never hadany problem with that, but then again,I have nothing to hide. :tumble:

Ateo - 4-24-2012 at 08:03 AM

Hmmmmmm......

durrelllrobert - 4-24-2012 at 11:07 AM

Quote:

The big Troll Alarm must have been set off.

didja see my post on the Troll Hunter in OT?

BajaBlanca - 4-24-2012 at 12:17 PM

welcome Archie !

welcome LA PAZ GRINGO !

welcome Dennis and KRYSTYNA !

Is Krystyna Polish by any chance ????

dpwahoo - 4-24-2012 at 02:01 PM

Mcfez, dont know Ron, but it sounds as if I might meet him someday. Bajablanca, she isnt Polish, Just goofy spelling. Too early to tell any jokes yet.

BajaBlanca - 4-24-2012 at 04:41 PM

:biggrin:

evillegas - 4-25-2012 at 09:52 AM

Hi, I'm Ed, live in Mexicali, and love my Baja. If you need any info on Mexicali or Mexican Issues don't hesitate to ask.

See you down here.

mcfez - 4-25-2012 at 10:18 AM

Ron had a large place in Victorville.....now living at San Felipe / Campos Ocotillo.

Quote:
Originally posted by dpwahoo
Mcfez, dont know Ron, but it sounds as if I might meet him someday. Bajablanca, she isnt Polish, Just goofy spelling. Too early to tell any jokes yet.

new forum member

fudgypup - 4-25-2012 at 10:24 AM

hey guys, it's fudgypup. I ride an '11 GSA and just did my first Baja trip last week (griptwister.com). I've been to Baja many times but never on a bike. Definitely want to come back. I live in OC, CA. Thanks for having me.

Cypress - 4-25-2012 at 10:47 AM

fudgypup, Welcome to the forum.:biggrin:

fudgypup - 4-25-2012 at 10:55 AM

thanks! btw, my name is Eric

shari - 4-25-2012 at 01:27 PM

bienvenido and welcome to nomadlandia all you newbies...ewww...sucky name eh! It is great to have new members to mess around in the sandbox with and we look forward to some posts and trip reports by you all.

fudgypup - 4-25-2012 at 01:32 PM

thanks, shari.

Here's a ride report from last week http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781954

and my everytrail map http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1539952&...

I added in some missing tracks between Cataviņa and El Rosario but it messed up the end point.

photobucket photos and vids http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/fudgypup/Baja/

BajaBlanca - 4-25-2012 at 01:38 PM

you got some nice pics Eric. welcome to the board !

about 3 weeks ago a group of about 10 riders drove thru town - the middle school had a blast calling them over and practicing their English ....

let me tell ya - they know the word CANDY for sure LOL

shari - 4-25-2012 at 01:39 PM

awesome fudgypup....I'm a new member of avrider and sure enjoy the ride reports...maybe you'll ride out our way sometime!

fudgypup - 4-25-2012 at 01:40 PM

the kids are so great there! They treated us all like celebrities. They thought we were Baja 1000 racers :lol:

I practiced my wheelies and would try and do one when we passed them by (safely of course). That, and candy to pass out.

BajaBlanca - 4-25-2012 at 07:21 PM

yup, all the kids LOVE bikers here .... talk about being heroes :) To them, you are celebrities !

baja1943 - 4-26-2012 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Welcome to the BN.

You will find that I am the most favorite BN here.
Maybe in your own mind.

rts551 - 4-26-2012 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fudgypup
the kids are so great there! They treated us all like celebrities. They thought we were Baja 1000 racers :lol:

I practiced my wheelies and would try and do one when we passed them by (safely of course). That, and candy to pass out.

What no Steekers? Welcome

DENNIS - 4-26-2012 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by evillegas
Hi, I'm Ed, live in Mexicali, and love my Baja. If you need any info on Mexicali or Mexican Issues don't hesitate to ask.

See you down here.

Welcome to BajaNomad, Ed. Nice of you to offer your assistance and expertise.
Just jump right in. The water's warm....and safe.

fudgypup - 4-27-2012 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by fudgypup

What no Steekers? Welcome

My buddy Steve had plenty of steekers :lol:

BeemerDan - 4-27-2012 at 11:55 AM

Hi, Dan here from Wa state, Been down to Baja twice now, both times riding my bike, I'm an avid motorcyclist and have ridden to AK Prudhoe bay, Dempster to Inuvik Canada, and across Labrador to Goose bay, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia etc. But nothing compares to riding Baja IMO, and can't wait to get back down next winter. Been lurking here for a few years and finally got the nerve to post.

DENNIS - 4-27-2012 at 11:58 AM

Welcome to BajaNomad, Dan. Glad you finally joined us. Stick around and enjoy the site. It's harmless.

Cypress - 4-27-2012 at 12:24 PM

BeemerDan, Welcome aboard! "But nothing compares to riding Baja". Yep! You can get lost back in those Baja boonies. And meet some neat people between there and here.:biggrin:

Much safer riding down here than up north

durrelllrobert - 4-28-2012 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeemerDan
Hi, Dan here from Wa state, Been down to Baja twice now, both times riding my bike, I'm an avid motorcyclist and have ridden to AK Prudhoe bay, Dempster to Inuvik Canada, and across Labrador to Goose bay, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia etc. But nothing compares to riding Baja IMO, and can't wait to get back down next winter. Been lurking here for a few years and finally got the nerve to post.

This Grizzley was hit and killed by a motorcyclist last week on Lolo Pass. This is the pass between Lolo, MT and Kooskia, ID. Lolo Pass, elevation 5,233 feet (1,595 m), is a mountain pass in the northern Rocky Mountains on the border between the U.S. States of Montana and Idaho approximately 25 miles (40 km) west-southwest of Missoula, Montana.

The biker spent three days in the hospital! The hog's a wreck!
Lesson learned: Don't go Bear Hunting with a Harley, they don't last but one hunt! BMWs, maybe 2 :lol::lol:

Cypress - 4-28-2012 at 12:16 PM

Last week? Those pictures look very much like some that I saw a few yrs. back. Lolo Pass? Went thru there a few years back during a full blown blizzard. :o

Bob H - 4-28-2012 at 02:52 PM

Wow, looks like Dabbs post has been removed and any other posts that references Dabbs is being removed. I'm curious about this, why?

David K - 4-28-2012 at 02:56 PM

When this happens Bob, it would seem that the new member was in serious violation of Nomad rules. It is very rare for Doug to do this, so it was obviously a case of bad language, anti-personal posts, or a banished Nomad using a new name to try and get back on?

Gaucho - 4-28-2012 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by BeemerDan

This Grizzley was hit and killed by a motorcyclist last week on Lolo Pass. This is the pass between Lolo, MT and Kooskia, ID. Lolo Pass, elevation 5,233 feet (1,595 m), is a mountain pass in the northern Rocky Mountains on the border between the U.S. States of Montana and Idaho approximately 25 miles (40 km) west-southwest of Missoula, Montana.

The biker spent three days in the hospital! The hog's a wreck!
Lesson learned: Don't go Bear Hunting with a Harley, they don't last but one hunt! BMWs, maybe 2 :lol::lol:

Glad to hear the biker made it out of this alive. It still breaks my heart to see this.

bufeo - 4-28-2012 at 03:40 PM

Beemer Dan, welcome to the forum.

The post above about the grizzly has some inaccuracies in it. First of all it did not meet its death from a motocyclist but a collision with a pickup. Second, it happened about a hundred miles east of Lolo Pass.

See HERE for details.

Allen R
P.S. I don't know what this had to do with welcoming new members. :?: :D

durrelllrobert - 4-28-2012 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Beemer Dan, welcome to the forum.

The post above about the grizzly has some inaccuracies in it. First of all it did not meet its death from a motocyclist but a collision with a pickup. Second, it happened about a hundred miles east of Lolo Pass.

See HERE for details.

Allen R
P.S. I don't know what this had to do with welcoming new members. :?: :D
Sorry, you're correct. It happened over 2 years ago. I was taken in by the new email that came this week. The only reason for posting it at all was because BeemerDan has been riding his motorcycle all over up north and can't wait to get back down to Baja next winter.

[Edited on 4-28-2012 by durrelllrobert]

Barry A. - 4-28-2012 at 04:01 PM

Look at those claws!!!!! Know what they are used for besides digging termites out of logs??? Ripping up everything and anything that the bear wants to rip!!! houses, barns, other animals, or people---it really does not care which some of the time. Just thinking about his presence makes me very uncomfortable----been there, done that.

I, for one, will not miss it!!!, nor the dinosaurs. (oh boy, now I have done it) :O

Barry

Bob H - 4-28-2012 at 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
When this happens Bob, it would seem that the new member was in serious violation of Nomad rules. It is very rare for Doug to do this, so it was obviously a case of bad language, anti-personal posts, or a banished Nomad using a new name to try and get back on?

Thanks David. I just didn't see anything happen like this. It must of been quick. Too bad.

BeemerDan - 4-29-2012 at 05:07 AM

Thanks Nomads for the warm welcome, Always sad to see such a beautiful creature like that Griz get killed. I did the Lolo pass ride last fall, didn't get to see but one black bear, rode up into Glacier NP and Going to the Sun hwy. I've seen lots of Griz up in BC, Yukon and AK tho, Last year I was coming down the Cassiar and saw a Mom Griz with 3 cubs, Seeing 2 cubs is rare as hens teeth but wow 3! My closest encounter came with Bullwinkle on the same hwy firther north, Came around a turn and there he was standing in the middle of the road, Dynamited the brakes, and just barely missed him, but I almost could of just ridden under him he was so tall.
My fav riding is Baja tho, So many places to see, The locals and people I've met are so incredibly friendly. Although I've only been down twice I feel like I've found a second home, BTW thanks David for helping me get aboard, As soon as i figure photobucket out I'll post some pics.

Osprey - 4-29-2012 at 07:22 AM

This is not a highjack. This is a small rant. I get to rant, I get to rant! I'll do it on the Welcome Newbies thread:

I encourage newbies and the whole board to show a little more humanity in their posting in English. You're all saying how touchie-feely this large group is/can be at times soooooo why is it that in the scitty eight bizillion posts so far not one person refers to humans as "Who's"? Humans are gone. They have been replaced by "That's". Used to be the "Fireman who, the nurse who, the guy next door who, the other group of travelers who, etc, etc." Now it's the Fireman that, the nurse that, etc. etc."

Why do you all feel the need to dehumanize the folks you speak of? Afraid of coming closer by admission? Do you see people as "Things", groups of people as "Articles". What the hell happened to WHO and where did it go? And, by the way, can we get them back?

DENNIS - 4-29-2012 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Why do you all feel the need to dehumanize the folks you speak of? Afraid of coming closer by admission? Do you see people as "Things", groups of people as "Articles". What the hell happened to WHO and where did it go? And, by the way, can we get them back?

The internet has stripped us of our real personality, Jorge. We are nothing left but chicken-scratches on a screen.
In a church setting, we would be treated as "appararitions"......voices from a less temporal place, and regarded as instruments of a God....or Gawd.....depending on what you believe....or don't, and probably never will...or won't......something like that. :cool:

[Edited on 4-29-2012 by DENNIS]

DavidE - 4-29-2012 at 08:22 AM

Myself I am rather terrified of grizzlies. I spent a night in a line shack near Quaking Aspen Creek Montana with a dog while a grizzly tried to claw his way in. He or she knew we were in there. My uncle "Chick" of Ennis Montana knew how to build bear-proof. The line shack was made out of 16" diameter lodge pole pine. The bear stuck his arm (leg) through the foot square window and groped around I guess trying to hook something. Then it tried to rip out around the window. Chick had reinforced it with angle iron. I whacked the arm/leg as hard as I could with a cast iron frying pan. That did not faze the bear. It finally left and both me and the dog spent a very sleepless night with the kerosene lamp set to high. I had to walk six miles the next day as my pony had bolted. I was 13-years of age. Those damned claws in that image brought back a lot of memories. Grizzlies aren't stupid. I wonder if it somehow thought it was going to snag an antelope?

BeemerDan - 4-29-2012 at 09:40 AM

Wow David, Thats pretty crazy, Incredible, I once rode alone 100 plus miles up the North Canol rd in the Yukon to where it deadends at MacKensie pass the the Northwest territories, After I made camp a helicopter came by landing nearby, Turned out they were Geologists surveying for gold, They then broke the news to me a Griz was down on the riverbank 100 yds away then they flew off. Didn't get much sleep that night, and since the sun never really set I just lay awake on my air mattress with my motorcycle helmet on and a camp axe across my chest. Doubt if it would of helped any, but at least they would of found my head intact!