BajaNomad

Good View

Santiago - 4-24-2012 at 08:06 PM

OK, no one in our group can find a town in the USofA with at least 50k population that does not have a street or business named "Buena Vista". Heck, we figure most of the Canadian towns have one.
So what, right?
Then, one of the lesser lights in our group (yes, jeans, me) asked if any of us can recall of anything in Mexico named "Good View"?
No one could.
Anyone know of a Mexican ranch on a hill named "Good View Ranch"? And if a rancher did, would he be laughed at or thought of as cool?
We think we know the answer....

RnR - 4-24-2012 at 08:11 PM

There is a town a few miles south of Los Barriles named Buena Vista.

Santiago - 4-24-2012 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR

Dude, we know that - but do they ever name it "Good View" - you know, in english. Do Mexicans ever name their stuff with the english (or any other language for that matter) spelling and pronunciation or is that just stoopid.

Barry A. - 4-24-2012 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:
Originally posted by RnR

Dude, we know that - but do they ever name it "Good View" - you know, in english. Do Mexicans ever name their stuff with the english (or any other language for that matter) spelling and pronunciation or is that just stoopid.

What a great question!!!! and I have never seen ANY landmark or ranch in Mexico in English. Wonder why not??

Barry

DENNIS - 4-24-2012 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I have never seen ANY landmark or ranch in Mexico in English.

Mike's Sky Ranch. :light:

watizname - 4-24-2012 at 08:46 PM

Scorpion Bay, Shiprecks, Old Mans, Seven Sisters--------Hotel California.:light::light::light:

windgrrl - 4-24-2012 at 08:53 PM

Except most likely it would be Bellvue in Canada.

How about Scammon's Lagoon?

Skipjack Joe - 4-25-2012 at 07:48 AM

I've never seen an american town without a grocery store called "Hilltop".

shari - 4-25-2012 at 09:07 AM

I think most of those places mentioned with american names were named by americans, not the mexicanos...when I first went to the lagoon and told the people there that it was known as Scammon's Lagoon, they were bewildered about why anyone would call it that!!! they had no idea and didnt think much of it...those places have their proper spanish names....like Scorpion Bay is San Juanico and Hotel California is spanish too!!!

interesting idea though Santiago

watizname - 4-25-2012 at 09:44 AM

Just foolin with ya folks. :D:D:D

Barry A. - 4-25-2012 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Well, in little Independence, CA in Owens Valley there is no grocery store, and no hill. The former is annoying, and the latter is great for we bicyclists.

Barry

durrelllrobert - 4-25-2012 at 09:55 AM

Lottsa signs, etc in English + Spanish in CA but not too many in Spanish + English in Baja. Of course we english speaking people down here are a much smaller percentage of the population than are the spanish speaking people in CA.

Skipjack Joe - 4-25-2012 at 10:08 AM

The names are what they are because they were here first.

We didn't rename San Francisco or San Pablo and they would have done the same had they overrun say 'phoenix'. What do mexican immigrants call phoenix - phoenix.

Maybe I'm missing the point.

Is the point: why don't we have the exact same name anglicized? We do Buena Vista = Overlook, Vista Point. San Pablo= St. Paul, Minnesotta.

bufeo - 4-25-2012 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:
Originally posted by RnR

How 'bout Grand View Hotel in Rancho Santa Barbara, Mexico?

Does that count?

Allen R

BajaBlanca - 4-25-2012 at 01:45 PM

now that really makes for some food for thought ... no English monikers for places in Mexico ......

But the names are sure foreign - I have a student named ERNESTO COLLINS who speaks not a word of English .... and then we have ANNA FISCHER descended from the famed German mechanic Frank Fischer who escaped from a ship and hung out in San Ignacio....

Oso - 4-25-2012 at 03:02 PM

My Mexican friends in the travel industry used to refer to the excusado as"the pipis room".

ddawson - 4-25-2012 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Ha, my local liquor store is called Hilltop Liquor.

Tano - 4-26-2012 at 10:45 AM

Excusado”… that’s funny word. When I was a kid, that was the word used for an outhouse.

Not too apropos, but the funniest English-transition to-Mexican Spanish two-letter name is Mary Pompis.