BajaNomad

100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito

Pages:  1    3  ..  7

David K - 4-27-2012 at 12:53 PM

On the Baja Goodlife Newsletter, I just read this and it reminds me of what Graham Mackintosh did some 30 years ago...

John, Rachel, and Cia Pack have taken the challenge of a 100 day, 2000 mile circumnavigation of the Baja California peninsula’s coastline from San Felipe on the northern Sea of Cortez to Rosarito Beach on the Pacific.

READ THE REST OF THE STORY: http://bajagoodlife.com/baja-100-day-challenge/
============================================

Wow, best of luck!!

2000 miles in 100 days is pushing it, and as we know, the coastline of Baja is full of many lagoons and cliffs and mangroves that will add up to more miles. Graham estimated the distance at 3,000 miles when he walked the coast from San Felipe to Ensenada in three seperate legs.

As we recently followed Mike Younghusband walking from Tecate to Cabo, 20 miles every day (without a rest day every week or less) was not an easy thing to do. That also was walking mostly on roads.

sancho - 4-27-2012 at 03:28 PM

That does seem like an ambitious trek, I hope they
have better food and water than Graham, like not having
to boil sea water with a kettle, collecting steam,
eating rattlesnake, or (this section of Mack's book
made me queasy), drinking liqour from bottles
on Scavenger Beach, Malarrimo

[Edited on 4-27-2012 by sancho]

DENNIS - 4-27-2012 at 03:45 PM

Absurd. That this is the first thing we've heard or seen on this project makes it, to me, a joke.
That they wouldn't have requested input from the experts, Graham and Mike, makes this advertisement crazy. Ill-prepared. at best.
I doubt it will happen....and if it does, it won't happen for long.

DENNIS - 4-27-2012 at 03:49 PM

"As we recently followed Mike Younghusband walking from Tecate to Cabo, 20 miles every day (without a rest day every week or less) was not an easy thing to do. That also was walking mostly on roads."
--------------------------

For sure. You can't walk along the coastline for any distance at all. It runs into the sea.

DENNIS - 4-27-2012 at 03:53 PM

"At the conclusion of the Baja Walk’s 100 Day Challenge, John and Rachel Pack are scheduled to be master of ceremonies for the Baja Blues Fest at Rosarito Beach Hotel on August 25, 2012."
-------------------------------

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::O:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::O:lol::lol:

woody with a view - 4-27-2012 at 03:55 PM

c'mon Dennis! this is just another disaster waiting for Nomads to pull a rabbit out of their hat! give it a chance, i'm getting the popcorn ready!

David K - 4-27-2012 at 04:05 PM

Again, read the story at the link I gave you... It is for charity, so logic doesn't count... as long as you feel good about what you say you're going to do.

The distance along the coast from San Felipe to Rosarito is much greater than 1800 to 2000 miles (the figures given in the story). Graham estimated 3000 and that was between Ensenada and San Felipe.

It would seem the people doing this walk have never read 'Into a Desert Place' by Graham Mackintosh...?

goldhuntress - 4-27-2012 at 04:09 PM

Wow, along the SOC in summer. Didn't figure it out exactly but I think it's about 17 miles a day! I wouldn't last 1 day in that kind of heat and sun, even if I was just sitting on the beach drinking Pacifico. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. Good luck to them, I think they're going to need it.

David K - 4-27-2012 at 04:33 PM

Well, they say it is a 100 day walk... If 1800 miles, then they would need to avearge 18 miles a day... It could be a 3,000 mile walk, and they would need 200 days, because you cannot walk 30 miles a day... in the summer, on the beach, cliffs, rocks and swamps around Baja's coast.

Anyway, support them or just follow them online...

Taco de Baja - 4-27-2012 at 05:10 PM

This will be a tough "walk". I'm in reasonably good shape and one of the most brutal surveys I did was 60 miles in 5 days in 105 degree heat in the Borrego/Split Mountain areas in CA, including 18 miles on a Friday, so we did not have to come back on Monday :rolleyes: . And this was mostly flat terrain.

The hike up to Mission San Pedro Martir in 2004 was tough too. Although the weather was nicer, including some rain, the elevation change of over 1,500 + feet was a killer for the 40 +/- miles over 4 days .

I also did the Grand Canyon top to bottom and back to the top in one killer 6.5 hour day in October (not too hot)...a little over 15 miles. (3.25 hrs down 0.25 on the bottom, and 3 hrs back to the top).

I can't see anyone keeping up a pace like that for 100 days, especially in the middle of the summer.

Graham - 4-27-2012 at 05:13 PM

Wow! There's no way I'd ever want to do anything like that. :no:

I'd take the short route over the mountains and enjoy a few cold beers on the way.

tripledigitken - 4-27-2012 at 05:16 PM

Hiking the shoreline of the Sea of Cortez in summer at a 20 mile+ average per day, a very tall order. I wish them well.

David K - 4-27-2012 at 05:28 PM

Thanks Graham for your input on this... You definately should have been contacted as a consultant!

Graham - 4-27-2012 at 05:40 PM

I've got to admire the charitable intent and also wish them well ... but as described it sounds like it will be utterly miserable... even dangerous.

It would be challenge enough in the winter. Hope they consider amending that schedule.

shari - 4-27-2012 at 05:54 PM

geezo...in BOLA last week I couldnt even walk from the shade on the beach to the truck to get a beer it was so bloody hot...and still April! suerte folks!

vandenberg - 4-27-2012 at 05:57 PM

Maybe they found a shortcut, like from San Felipe to Rosarito:?::?::biggrin::biggrin:

Baja Walk

mexicoliving - 4-27-2012 at 05:59 PM

We understand the difficulties on long hikes. Never done anything this long, but I do have more than a 1000 high elevation miles. My wife is former fitness trainer and competitor. Albeit, we have been living in Baja the last 7 years and got a little relaxed (and fat).

I know Graham and we have discussed the walk on a couple of occasions, and was the first person we told about the walk, when we actually decided.

The current route is 1896 miles. We know the route will change, ideally not by much, the challenge is not only the length, but the number of days. So, we will try to stay within 18-23 miles per day, while avoiding any additional miles. We have friends, family members and club members that will be providing support.

Absurd. Yes, it is Absurd. If it wasn't absurd you may not have noticed, or commented or discussed this absurd idea. But our idea is to do just that, to bring attention to the organizations with far great challenges than ours, Please feel free to support their challenges:

Charitible Challenges

If you would like to help us, you could volunteer to bring us water and visit, or stash a water cache for us and email us the coordinates, or tell everyone about the Baja Walk, so we can make a difference in some of these challenges.

We will be carrying a Spot Messager/Connect and will be providing our live position on our website every 5 minutes, in addition to a daily FB post and tweet, as well as a weekly youtube.com video update.

We hope to see all of you in 105 days at the Baja Blues Fest on August 25, at the Rosarito Beach Hotel, another fundraising event for the children of Baja.

Graham - 4-27-2012 at 06:02 PM

And actually, John did email me to ask my advice for a walk from San Felipe to Rosarito. I misunderstood... I thought he was suggesting a more direct route. I only just found out how ambitious this will be.

I survived my trip because I was flexible enough to change coasts when temps got too brutal, and learned to sit up to my neck in the sea, take a few days off when necessary, do my walking early and late, and avoid the midday sun like the plague. Even so I had my brushes with heat exhaustion and semi-delirium.

Graham - 4-27-2012 at 06:06 PM

John,

Our postings crossed. The very best of luck to you. I admire your project... and I know you'll have lots of great advice and help here.

Graham

"short route"

mexicoliving - 4-27-2012 at 06:07 PM

Graham's short route is San Felipe to Rosarito, East to West (220 miles). We already did that, last year it was called the Baja Love Ride ;-)

mexicoliving - 4-27-2012 at 06:18 PM

Graham,

We couldn't do it on our own like you did. Not in 100 days. That would be Absurd. ;-) Fortunately, we have BGL club members that are forming a support teams, with people providing support near their communities.

John

shari - 4-27-2012 at 08:07 PM

HOla John...we would be happy to lend any support you may need in our area of the pacside. If you walk by here, you are welcome to a shower, a bed, beer, internet, and whatever else you may need...looks like you wont be staying a couple weeks like Mike Younghusband did! no burro I guess? U2U me if you want our number...you may give it to your contact list for your SPOT...just in case you need some local assistance...good luck.

goldhuntress - 4-27-2012 at 10:44 PM

Mexicoliving, Do you have a Facebook page I can "like" so I can get you daily updates?

Skipjack Joe - 4-27-2012 at 10:57 PM

Well, if they follow roads and highways it would considerably easier than Graham's journey who walked the coastline. You can walk from San Felipe to Gonzaga on a hwy. I remember how Graham scrambled over those rocks.

If so, you couldn't compare the two except that both went from point a to point b.

David K - 4-28-2012 at 10:53 AM

Right... paralleling the coast on auto roads is far different than walking along the coast as Graham did 30 years ago.

Glad to see 'mexicoliving' here on Baja Nomad! Welcome and good luck!!

100 dy rush in heat of summer? sense it makes not!

mtgoat666 - 4-28-2012 at 11:25 AM

why rush to meet a 100 day deadline? travel at the pace you want, stop and smell the flowers.

and why travel in summer? there is a cooler time of year, it's much more pleasant walking when it is 20 or 30 degrees cooler,...

just saying,....

Cypress - 4-28-2012 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
why rush to meet a 100 day deadline? travel at the pace you want, stop and smell the flowers and why travel in summer? there is a cooler time of year, it's much more pleasant walking when it is 20 or 30 degrees cooler,...
just saying,....

For once I agree with mtgoat. :D

DENNIS - 4-28-2012 at 11:47 AM

It is purely unconscionable to be encouraging this folly into one of earth's ovens. I can only hope no one here ends up with a lot of regrets.....and guilt.
Why does charity have to be associated with bad decisions? Generosity won't buy forgiveness in an unforgiving environment.
Go back to the calendar and rethink this.

Skipjack Joe - 4-28-2012 at 12:12 PM

If it were me I would start at 3AM and walk until about 9AM. Then kick back. There's little chance of getting lost. They're just walking on hwys and backroads.

tripledigitken - 4-28-2012 at 12:23 PM

One way to reduce the risk and increase the likely of success is to modify Grahams approach.

Start in summer from Rosarito and walk 50 days hopefully all the way to Cabo. Take a break until October and resume the trek up the Cortez side in the cooler time of year on up to San Felipe.

DianaT - 4-28-2012 at 12:29 PM

I hope it works out really well and they can raise lots of money for the charities!

Cypress - 4-28-2012 at 12:33 PM

Me too.

norte - 4-29-2012 at 10:43 AM

Best of luck Sir. I am sorry for the attitude of some here. Seems that unless your part of the club or beg for advice your immediately criticized. Most of these people can barely make it from the keyboard to the refrigerator. Again best of luck and keep us informed.

mexicoliving - 5-10-2012 at 08:24 PM

Shari,

Thank you so much for the offer, unfortunately we will not be along the coast near your location because of the distance, we will be following (sort of) the Baja 100 route. Your place looks fabulous and we’re sorry to say we haven’t been there, but we fully intend to now, when the Walk is compete. We expect to be the closest to you on July 22 and 23.

We have two days left before we leave and we feel real good about the new course (little Baja 1000 2007 and 2010).

You can always reach our support team (and us) by emailing us at bajawalk@bglclub.com.

Thanks to everyone for the support, please support our charities:
http://bajagoodlife.com/baja-100-day-challenge/baja-charity-...

If you would like to support us and the Walk, we still have 6 days of critical need: http://bajagoodlife.com/baja-100-day-challenge/volunteer/

Or you can join the Walk in your community:
http://bajagoodlife.com/baja-100-day-challenge/join-the-baja...

Make it a great Baja day,

John & Rachel Pack

David K - 5-10-2012 at 10:13 PM

Great Luck and Fun to you both! :cool:

motoged - 5-10-2012 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
geezo...in BOLA last week I couldnt even walk from the shade on the beach to the truck to get a beer it was so bloody hot...and still April! suerte folks!

Shari,
That is absolute BS.... nothing could stop you on such a challenging but important trek.... ;D

mexicoliving - 5-10-2012 at 11:01 PM

motoged,
WOW! What a comment to make of someone you don't know.

David K - 5-10-2012 at 11:04 PM

Oh, but I think he does know her! :lol:

motoged - 5-11-2012 at 09:59 AM

Shari,
I trust you know I am teasing you....:saint:

If you were offended, I apologize for being a smart-burro...:cool:

Cypress - 5-11-2012 at 10:04 AM

An adventure! So, when does this walkabout begin?;D

mexicoliving - 5-11-2012 at 10:31 AM

We begin tomorrow at 5AM. Thank you all for the support. The whole point of this is for it to be difficult, if it were easy, it would not get any attention and the goal is to get attention for the groups we support. In each of the communities we will be coordinating a 1-mile walk and 100% of the walkers registration goes to the local chairty, so step away from the keyboard and Join the Walk ;-)

TAKE STEPS TO HELP BAJA.

mexicoliving - 5-11-2012 at 11:35 AM

Oh yah, please join us at the end at the Baja Blues Fest at the Rosarito Beach Hotel on August 25, it too is a charity event and all the proceeds go to help the children in the region. We have been doing the same thing with the Lions Club in San Felipe for six years now. Here are a few pics from this years Blues & Arts.

Cypress - 5-11-2012 at 12:36 PM

mexicoliving, Welcome aboard! Keep us posted on your progress.:yes:

mexicoliving - 5-11-2012 at 01:34 PM

Thank you, will do. We have also added live tracking to our site using our Spot Messenger.

Curt63 - 5-11-2012 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham

I survived my trip because I was flexible enough to change coasts when temps got too brutal, and learned to sit up to my neck in the sea, take a few days off when necessary, do my walking early and late, and avoid the midday sun like the plague. Even so I had my brushes with heat exhaustion and semi-delirium.

I seriously hope you have a medic with IV bags and lots of supplies to care for your feet.

I was skeptical that Mike would make it, but he adjusted his pace and rested.

Be careful and Godspeed,

Curt

Graham - 5-12-2012 at 12:14 AM

The very best of luck to all three of you. Having been there and done that I'll be with you and eager to see how you're doing.

It sure won't be dull. Heat, blisters, rattlesnakes, days when you won't want to walk two miles... let alone twenty. I hope you get all the support and kindness I received on my trip.

I know your dog Cai has booties and "cool vest" and you'll send him home at the first opportunity if it looks like he's no longer enjoying it or too likely to fall victim to a passing vehicle... like Mike Younghusband did with Max and Rusty.

Vaya con Dios.

LINKS for the Walk

David K - 5-12-2012 at 07:41 AM

LIVE SPOT TRACKING

ROUTE POSTER (PDF)

GOOGLE EARTH ROUTE MAP

DAILY GUIDE

Walk Dates:
•San Felipe – Sat, May 12
•Puertecitos – Mon, May 14
•Gonzaga Bay – Wed, May 16
•Mision de Calamajue – Fri, May 18
•Bahia de los Angeles – Mon, May 21
•San Ignacio – Tues, May 29
•Santa Rosalia- Thurs, June 1
•Mulege – Sun, June 3
•Loreto – Thurs/Fri, June 7/8
•La Paz – Thurs/Fri, June 21/22
•Los Barriles – Mon, June 25
•San Jose del Cabo – Fri, June 29
•Cabo San Lucas – Sat, June 30
•Todos Santos – Mon, July 2
•Bahia de Magdalena – Mon/Tues, July 9/10
•Laguna San Ignacio – Fri/Sat/Sun July 20/21/22
•Guerrero Negro – Fri, July 27
•Santa Rosalillita – Tues, July 31
•Santa Rosalia – Thurs, Aug 9
•San Quintin – Sat, Aug 11
•Ensenada – Thurs/Fri, Aug 16/17
•Puerto Nuevo - Click-On, Sun, Aug 19

[Edited on 5-12-2012 by David K]

David K - 5-12-2012 at 08:41 AM

Well, not sure... but either they forgot to turn on their Spot Tracker... or they haven't got started yet?

Ateo - 5-12-2012 at 08:43 AM

DK: looks like they made it to Mex 5? Maybe they're behind schedule.

Good luck!!!!

David K - 5-12-2012 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo

Good luck!!!!

Just checked again (10:39 am) and nothing today. What you see Ateo, was a test walk yesterday out to Mex. 5.

tripledigitken - 5-12-2012 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by ateo

Good luck!!!!

Just checked again (10:39 am) and nothing today. What you see Ateo, was a test walk yesterday out to Mex. 5.

David,

I just went to their website and they are scheduled to start today.

Ken

http://bajagoodlife.com/baja-100-day-challenge/

David K - 5-12-2012 at 11:22 AM

Yes, and early in the morning if they want to walk 20-25 miles... not happening unless they are doing a night walk?

tripledigitken - 5-12-2012 at 11:28 AM

I wish them well, but I have doubts about their schedule. They should being doing the event in the reverse order. (start on the pacific end on the Cortez)

Skipjack Joe - 5-12-2012 at 12:05 PM

Yesterday it took them about 5 hours to walk 2+ miles, 9AM-2PM. And they did it mid day. I don't know what noon temperatures are like at San Felipe today.

Perhaps they are readjusting their schedule to walk during cooler hours.

I hope they succeed. And even if they don't the donations for this worthy cause is worth the effort.

Skipjack Joe - 5-12-2012 at 03:11 PM

Looks like they're on schedule - north boundary of San Felipe now. A walk of about 9 miles today as far as I can tell.

David K - 5-12-2012 at 04:33 PM

Yep, sure enough... at 4:24 pm they were walking down the entrance highway into San Felipe. Well, sometimes it's tough to get started!

mtgoat666 - 5-12-2012 at 04:59 PM

10 nomad posts for 9 miles walked,... this thread will be well over 2000 posts by the time they finish, if they finish.

who is booking bets for this adventure???

Ateo - 5-12-2012 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
10 nomad posts for 9 miles walked,... this thread will be well over 2000 posts by the time they finish, if they finish.

who is booking bets for this adventure???

I'd bet on more than 2000 posts.:tumble:

GregN - 5-12-2012 at 07:02 PM

Best of luck, John and Rachel.

Curt63 - 5-13-2012 at 07:10 AM

Looks like they walked from 1-7pm and stopped all night.

I cant tell if they made their goal (18? mi.)

Forecast is 93 and 27% hum.

Good luck

woody with a view - 5-13-2012 at 07:16 AM

Walk Dates:
•Mulege – Sun, June 3

who makes these schedules?

Ateo - 5-13-2012 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Walk Dates:
•Mulege – Sun, June 3

who makes these schedules?

Yeah they must mean El Rosario rather than Santa "Rosalia".:?:

David K - 5-13-2012 at 10:29 AM

This morning, they are about a mile from Punta Estrella (the south end of San Felipe Bay) at 10:25am. They are not walking the coastline, but instead are on Hwy. 5.... which parallels the coast.

Skipjack Joe - 5-13-2012 at 10:51 AM

They camped on Saturday just south of the San felipe harbor (spot #31). They walked until about 7pm. Today they started earlier (7AM) and are following the hwy, making good progress. Each spot marker is emitted every 10 minutes. You can see the progress by following David's above link.

Take that back. They're doing about 1 mile per hour.

[Edited on 5-13-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

bajawalk.jpg - 49kB

mtgoat666 - 5-13-2012 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
They camped on Saturday just south of the San felipe harbor (spot #31). They walked until about 7pm. Today they started earlier (7AM) and are following the hwy, making good progress. Each spot marker is emitted every 10 minutes. You can see the progress by following David's above link.

Take that back. They're doing about 1 mile per hour.

[Edited on 5-13-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

i bet they quit in under 14 days. only mad dogs and gringos in go out in noon day sun.

DENNIS - 5-13-2012 at 01:11 PM

Are they walking on asphalt? Wouldn't that be like walking across a frying pan?

Curt63 - 5-13-2012 at 01:21 PM

According to their planning statements he is carrying an 80lb pack and she has a 60lb pack.:o

Skipjack Joe - 5-13-2012 at 01:26 PM

I think they're on dirt next to road whenever possible. The hwy around 3 sisters is gonna hurt: sun bouncing off those cliffs and no parallel road.

They're doing less than 1 mile per hour now and need to avg 20 miles per day. Something must change.

Sleep in day and walk at night? I don't think there's any place cool enough to sleep midday.

It's tough. Dump the schedule is the first step.

Curt63 - 5-13-2012 at 01:34 PM

Quote:

They're doing less than 1 mile per hour now and need to avg 20 miles per day. Something must change.

Sleep in day and walk at night? I don't think there's any place cool enough to sleep midday.

I agree completely. And those packs...

Its 100 in San Felipe right now according to accuweather

Cypress - 5-13-2012 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Quote:

And those packs...

They won't make it packing that much weight.

goldhuntress - 5-13-2012 at 03:26 PM

I think that they had gone 6.2 miles so far today at the 2:20 check-in. No check-in since then and it's 3:25 as I post this.

Ateo - 5-13-2012 at 05:55 PM

They're gonna need a ride if they're gonna make it on time.

BajaNomad - 5-13-2012 at 06:14 PM

Is my calculation of 7.7 miles (12.4 km) from 6:30am to 6:00pm today accurate?

Ateo - 5-13-2012 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Is my calculation of 7.7 miles (12.4 km) from 6:30am to 6:00pm today accurate?

I'd say pretty darn accurate.

12 hours of walking is a lot of walking! They're still at it as of 6:30pm. They'll need to set up camp soon.

Skipjack Joe - 5-13-2012 at 06:40 PM

They took a break from noon to 5PM. An intersection with no shelter, no shade, and no homes close by. Hopefully someone was there with an air conditioned car or something.

[Edited on 5-14-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

bajawalk2.jpg - 40kB

Curt63 - 5-13-2012 at 07:36 PM

Looks like about 10 miles in 2 days and they are fresh.

25% of target +/-

Suerte

goldhuntress - 5-13-2012 at 08:08 PM

I don't know how you can get exactly right but I got about 9.5 for today if they stayed on the road starting from just south of Villas de Las Palmas. I'm not sure how others are calculating but I used http://www.mapmyrun.com/ and used the follow roads option. I think they went 7.6 the first day. So maybe 17.1 for the two day total.

[Edited on 5-14-2012 by goldhuntress]

[Edited on 5-14-2012 by goldhuntress]

mtgoat666 - 5-13-2012 at 10:34 PM

Quote:
I think they're on dirt next to road whenever possible. The hwy around 3 sisters is gonna hurt: sun bouncing off those cliffs and no parallel road.

who cooked up the idea to do this hike in summer?

earlier i predicted they would quit in 14 days. i now predict they will quit in under 10 days.

BajaNomad - 5-13-2012 at 10:52 PM

http://g.co/maps/w37gk

I input the GPS coordinates into Google Maps directions.

The Spot tracking shows they went until 6:52pm - and Google indicates they covered 15.4 km (?) - or 9.6 miles in over 12 hours.

Hmm.

[Edited on 5-14-2012 by BajaNomad]

Skipjack Joe - 5-13-2012 at 11:28 PM

Well, I've gotten to the point where I'm concerned that something really serious doesn't happen to our travelers. When I don't see the spot marker moving across the map in a reasonable amount of time I start to worry.

Whatever adjustments they're going to make to make this journey work out, I hope they do so before they get to Coco's. If anything happens between Coco and BOLA nobody will be around to help. That area is truly isolated.

goldhuntress - 5-13-2012 at 11:54 PM

I hope they at least send the dog home. It's way too hot to put a dog through that. It supposed to be in the mid 90's the next few days and so it'll be over 100 in the sun. Not good for any of them:no:

Skipjack Joe - 5-13-2012 at 11:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

who cooked up the idea to do this hike in summer?

earlier i predicted they would quit in 14 days. i now predict they will quit in under 10 days.

Perhaps. But I still admire them.

"Well, godamit, at least I tried"

artc2B22.jpg - 4kB

Taco de Baja - 5-14-2012 at 07:45 AM

It's sure looking like they should have set a more "reasonable" goal of 10-15 miles a day. That's still a tough walk; but not impossible like this 20 mile/day goal.

Everyday is going to get tougher and tougher to even bend over and put on boots and hoist up the pack.

Who knows, if they slow it down, like they should, maybe Ill see them in the 7 sisters area at the END of August as they walk by our camp....Ill have an ice cold, soda or beer waiting for them. :yes:

Curt63 - 5-14-2012 at 10:00 AM

Alright!

They walked from 6:30 - 9 and covered 6? miles. Thats more than double yesterday's pace.

More importantly, they stopped. I hope its for an all day rest and then they walk from 7pm to midnight.

Adapt, improvise and overcome!

Suerte

DENNIS - 5-14-2012 at 02:48 PM

From day one I said this was a nightmare in the making. What I can't fathom is why those "in the know"....Graham....didn't call baloney on this plan.
Your ommision of your true feelings, if they were realistic, may get these people in trouble.....and I honestly believe you supported their adventure for no other reason that, you support adventure.
These people have a problem by their own design and I think it's incumbant on us to begin preparing for the inevitible, and stick close to them as they melt down.
This trek was their folly.
Our place is to see that they don't get hurt.

Once again I agree with Dennis (a bad habit)

thebajarunner - 5-14-2012 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
From day one I said this was a nightmare in the making. What I can't fathom is why those "in the know"....Graham....didn't call baloney on this plan.
Your ommision of your true feelings, if they were realistic, may get these people in trouble.....and I honestly believe you supported their adventure for no other reason that, you support adventure.
These people have a problem by their own design and I think it's incumbant on us to begin preparing for the inevitible, and stick close to them as they melt down.
This trek was their folly.
Our place is to see that they don't get hurt.

Frightening for those of us that know Baja....

In the 500 many years ago our route dropped down from the pine forest to the coast, down some really grim washes, then on to San Felipe.

Two guys driving a truck got stuck, and reportedly one died from exposure... and I suspect that they had more water on board than the walking folks.

I wish them well, I fear for their fate....

S.F.weather

neilm81301 - 5-14-2012 at 03:13 PM

I was in Playa Del Oro this weekend - highs in the 90's, clear, nice breeze. Nice day for a walk. Didn't see the hikers.

The spot tracker doesn't seem to work with Chrome.

Neil

motoged - 5-14-2012 at 03:14 PM

I doubt someone will die with this (mis)adventure, But I agree with Dennis on his comments.

Moral support is honourable, but perhaps best saved for better planned undertakings.

Good luck folks....the "experienced" have offered their wisdom...:light::light:

woody with a view - 5-14-2012 at 03:17 PM

when the SOS goes out i'm sure they'll get the help, one way or another.

goldhuntress - 5-14-2012 at 03:45 PM

Wow! I just checked the weather in San Felipe and it said it's 107 right now on Yahoo weather and 104 right now on Accuweather. The forecast had been 96. Maybe that's why they have been staying put for the last few hours.

DianaT - 5-14-2012 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I hope they at least send the dog home. It's way too hot to put a dog through that. It supposed to be in the mid 90's the next few days and so it'll be over 100 in the sun. Not good for any of them:no:

I sure hope the dog is OK. Most dogs need LOTS of water and shade in the heat.

mexicoliving - 5-14-2012 at 04:24 PM

Thank you all for the advice, comments and support. We got some internet access from Sal and Maria at Campo San Carlos. We are safe, and moving a little slower than planned. Our dog has been having problems even with booties, so she is being picked up and going home to wait for us. Rachel and I will start walking nights only. Previous injuries have come back to huant me, so I am unable to carry my pack at any weight, I am currently pushing my pack in a baby stroller we got from a segunda...gotta do whatcha gotta do. Thank you all for the suggestions, ideas, and support. We may not be on time, but we will be there, we will not give up, but we will be as safe as we can. You all welcome to support us at anytime.

Thanks again we will update as we can.

rts551 - 5-14-2012 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Thank you all for the advice, comments and support. We got some internet access from Sal and Maria at Campo San Carlos. We are safe, and moving a little slower than planned. Our dog has been having problems even with booties, so she is being picked up and going home to wait for us. Rachel and I will start walking nights only. Previous injuries have come back to huant me, so I am unable to carry my pack at any weight, I am currently pushing my pack in a baby stroller we got from a segunda...gotta do whatcha gotta do. Thank you all for the suggestions, ideas, and support. We may not be on time, but we will be there, we will not give up, but we will be as safe as we can. You all welcome to support us at anytime.

Great attitude! If you need help... post! (use to be holler)

DianaT - 5-14-2012 at 04:29 PM

Quote:

Great to hear you two are doing well and making necessary adjustments---and I sure hope you have pictures of your pack in a baby stroller ---that is GREAT.

And glad to hear your dog is going home. :yes:

Skipjack Joe - 5-14-2012 at 04:42 PM

They always take a midday break. First day noon to 3PM. Yesterday, noon to 5PM.

Today their break came at 10:30AM and is still continuing.

The map always shows these breaks occur at intersections or pullouts by the side of the hwy. I, therefore, suspect that during the noon breaks vehicles may be there to help them with water and staying cool. Otherwise they wouldn't have gotten this far.

Yesterday they walked from 5PM to 7PM after that break. If that pattern holds up we should see the spotter start sending it's signal pretty soon now.

Oops - didn't see the above.

[Edited on 5-14-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

DENNIS - 5-14-2012 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

My most serious concern as well. Had he had a choice, he'd be elsewhere.

DENNIS - 5-14-2012 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Our dog has been having problems even with booties, so she is being picked up and going home to wait for us.

Thanks. I'll sleep better. :)

Skipjack Joe - 5-14-2012 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

My most serious concern as well. Had he had a choice, he'd be elsewhere.

Maybe they should put the dog in the pram.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry. Just me being me.

MON. 5:30 PM

David K - 5-14-2012 at 05:38 PM

DAY 2:

At one of the access roads to Shell Island, about Km. 25...

Thanks to Skipjack Joe for the help in capturing Spot images!

desertcpl - 5-14-2012 at 06:45 PM

guess I should not put my pesos into this BUT

do they think for one minute as they TRY to walk further south, that it will get cooler and they will be able to travel more each day. they are not yet out of San Felipe
and they are behind,
I dont what to wish bad luck on any one, but this is not going to happen

Pages:  1    3  ..  7