BajaNomad

100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito

Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

goldhuntress - 6-23-2012 at 11:17 AM

2 hours and 45 minutes later they are on their way again.

David K - 6-23-2012 at 11:20 AM

Bailing wire and duct tape must be in the wagon? :biggrin:

Cypress - 6-23-2012 at 12:09 PM

What kind of wagon are they hauling their stuff in? I've got one 'uv those two-wheel game carts. It's rated for 750 lbs. Have never put it to the test, but 750 lbs. is one heck of a load.

goldhuntress - 6-23-2012 at 01:39 PM

Interesting, I just noticed that the Spot tracked at 7:46 am and then stopped for 2hr. 45 min. then there is a 4 mile gap then not a track but a check in. Could they have turned off the unit while they were doing whatever they were doing then maybe forgot to turn it on, walked the 4 miles then remembered? Or, who knows right, lol, I like to speculate though.

goldhuntress - 6-23-2012 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
What kind of wagon are they hauling their stuff in? I've got one 'uv those two-wheel game carts. It's rated for 750 lbs. Have never put it to the test, but 750 lbs. is one heck of a load.

Thanks for the map, David

thebajarunner - 6-23-2012 at 01:42 PM

Been a long long time since we were racing through that area,
Obviously things have modernized a bunch.
In the 1000's we had a checkpoint at Cadeje- I think we used to call that checkpoint "Rancho Cuarenta"
I know that Parnelli donated them an old van which was always parked there when we went through.
None of those beach areas were developed and hard to imagine paved road to La Purisima.

Guess that is called "el progreso" (progress)

Hope the going stays good for them, and their rig stays upright.

For sure their roads are better than we had "back in the day"

Cypress - 6-23-2012 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

Those little dinky wheels on the 4-wheel wagon look like trouble. They're obviously getting the job done, but.....? I'd go with the 2-wheel game cart. Less revolutions/mile, not as likely to bury up in the sand, able to carry more weight, etc.:D

woody with a view - 6-23-2012 at 02:13 PM

they might too, but they don't have one!

:rolleyes:

woody with a view - 6-23-2012 at 02:14 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4

David K - 6-24-2012 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Been a long long time since we were racing through that area,
Obviously things have modernized a bunch.
In the 1000's we had a checkpoint at Cadeje- I think we used to call that checkpoint "Rancho Cuarenta"
I know that Parnelli donated them an old van which was always parked there when we went through.
None of those beach areas were developed and hard to imagine paved road to La Purisima.

Guess that is called "el progreso" (progress)

Hope the going stays good for them, and their rig stays upright.

For sure their roads are better than we had "back in the day"

Rancho Cuarenta is north of Cadeje, on the inland road. It is just to the south of the mile '30.7' on the north map, on that arroyo.

I have been real busy this weekend with family events, sorry to not produce any maps of their location last night or today... just heading out the door now. Igor, can you fill in when I don't?? Gracias amigos!

[Edited on 6-24-2012 by David K]

goldhuntress - 6-24-2012 at 11:19 AM

John and Rachel are a little over 4 hours into their walk today and are about 16 miles from San Juanico. When they arrive there I calculated that they will have walked 451 miles. That's starting at the center of San Felipe. They started at a beach nearby, not exactly sure where so I just used the center of town, which they walked through the first day of their journey.

Desertbull - 6-24-2012 at 07:57 PM

I checked on them 10 kilometers just out of San Juanico and they are great!

They have two big long days and they are happy and smiling!

Tomorrow will be epic!

[Edited on 6-25-2012 by Desertbull]

goldhuntress - 6-24-2012 at 08:16 PM

Thank you DB! Good to know they are doing well especially since I know they have been concerned about that stretch. They went 17 miles today!

Ateo - 6-24-2012 at 09:44 PM

Wow! Yeah, they're on that last straight section where you can smell the ocean......after that North Road stress I'm usually hauling arse in this section, only a few minutes from being at the destination! Good for them. I bet they'll love and be loved in San Juanico.

June 24

David K - 6-24-2012 at 11:09 PM

Boy, I miss making a map just one day and look how far they walked and now up on the high road and heading into San Juanico in the morning!

Here is today (SUN.):

If anyone saved their full day track for Saturday, please post it.

SPOT TRACKER LINK

Desertbull - 6-25-2012 at 09:43 AM

Take a look into the adventure looking for the adventure duo and our meeting afterwards.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVelurCUps

DB:tumble:

goldhuntress - 6-25-2012 at 09:58 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN! Not a lot of people can say they walked 450 miles and ended up in San Juanico just in time to celebrate their birthday! Have a really fun day!:spingrin:

Udo - 6-25-2012 at 11:04 AM

FELIZ CUMPLEANOS, John!

We'll be in Cabo on the 27, a couple of days too early to see you again on your walk.:no:

BajaGeoff - 6-25-2012 at 12:32 PM

Yeah John! Happy Birthday amigo.....you guys are doing great!

Desertbull - 6-25-2012 at 03:15 PM

They arrived to San Juanico downtown walking down the main street to the huge audience of school kids lining the street on both sides...they moved to the other side of the street thinking they needed to get out of the way for whatever was going on and they were then informed by a teacher that this TREATMENT was for THEM!

Truly an inspiring moment!

They were last seen sipping icy cold beverages after cleansing showers relaxing at the posh and private invite only - Beck Resort located somewhere in San Juanico!

from the trail early this morning...well sort of early...okay, not so much...LOL

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4204740081964&se...

Juany-Juan-don't give up our location! Kiddin' man! :lol:

[Edited on 6-25-2012 by Desertbull]

Desertbull - 6-25-2012 at 08:48 PM

It's a birthday party...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4207349307193&se...

June 25

David K - 6-26-2012 at 08:13 AM

Happy Birthday!

Here is the end of yesterday's walk, from space:

mexicoliving - 6-26-2012 at 04:46 PM

Thank you everyone for the happy birthday wishes, much appreciated. Here is a little update. Tomorrow we begin again.

We left San Ignacio Lagoon in the early morning and the first day on mud flats was easy going and very little mud, more like a highway of mud, smooth and flat. Finding a place to camp was difficult, but we did find a place behind a sand dune, next to a dry lakebed, it was nice, quiet and out of view of the “road”. The second day was exactly the same, with the only real problem being the choices of roads, literally every few hundred feet we would be offered a choice of 2 or 3 roads, or path choices. We only made a wrong choice once, somewhere near “no town”. We figured it out quickly enough, turned around, and got back on track. On the second day, we made it to El Datil. We spend the night with Minerva and Hugo, camped on the porch of their tienda. These were two extremely nice people, so much so, we have made plans to come stay with them again at their home for a couple of weeks, so Hugo can teach me to be a panga fisherman. Photos on the porch: https://picasaweb.google.com/111762627298877558621/BajaWalkG...

During our visit in El Datil, our new friends Tim Sanchez the “Desert Bull”, and John and Seth Beck showed up after spending the day searching for us. They came walking in just as we were showing photos of them and the day we met south of San Ignacio. YouTube video of their search for us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVelurCUps

The next two days were by far the toughest we had encounter to date. There was a stretch of road that we had to pull threw of soft sand up to the axles. It was brutal. We had to camp in view of the road, but there was little traffic. The road was rough and rocky and made pulling the wagon difficult, but we made good time and good distance. The next day was a race to San Juanico and one of the hardest days because of the rocky road and the non-stop hills to climb.

About 6 miles from San Juanico, Tim, John, and Seth showed up again to check on us, and to let us know they were just about to BBQ. Of course, we said we wanted to continue and we see them around 10PM, however, by the time they had turned the truck around we changed our minds, so we marked the road with a stack of rocks and went into town. We enjoyed a great evening of conversation along with hotlinks on the barbeque and lots of great veggies, not to mention the hot shower, cold beer, ceramic toilet, and comfortable bed.

The next morning they took us to breakfast at El Burro Restaurant and drove us back out to the rocks on the road, so that we could finish the remaining miles to town. When we made it into town, we were walking to center of town on the only paved road, when we looked ahead and noticed school kids pouring out of the school into the street. Rachel and I crossed to the opposite side of the street to avoid the activity. However, moments later a woman crossed over to us and asked us to come back to the other side, so we did. It was at that moment we realized all the children from the school were lining both sides of the street and they were there for us. We walked the gauntlet as the children cheered and sang for us. It was a very moving experience and made everything we’ve done worthwhile.

That night, they had a special Mexican birthday dinner prepared especially for us by a wonderful woman in town named Secarro; we had dinner on her patio, and then returned to John Becks home, for c-cktails and more conversation. The biggest surprise was when John came out with a chocolate cake he had baked for my birthday, adorned with burning wooden matchsticks, since there were candles to be found in town. It was the first cake he had ever baked and it was fantastic.

Apparently, while Rachel and I were out walking they had planned all of this and not only the dinner and cake, but also they rebuilt the wagon with new barring washers, grease, and spacers and made it better than it has been since we first began using it.

Today, they took us to the beach. Seth gave me a board and we sent the morning surfing. Well, Seth surfed, while I made many attempts, and got some good rides, but don’t know if I would have called it surfing. I surfed as a kid, but apparently, surfing is not like riding a bike.

We are rested, happy, and ready to start walking. Tomorrow morning we will be leaving bright and early, pulling our rebuilt wagon with restocked supplies. We expect it will take about 5 days to reach Insurentes and two weeks to reach La Paz.

goldhuntress - 6-26-2012 at 04:55 PM

John and Rachel (((HUGS))) from us! Good to hear your in such good spirits. When I heard about your welcome in San Juanico it brought tears to my eyes, what an honor after all you've been through. Happy travels, your both amazing.

Skipjack Joe - 6-26-2012 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving

The next two days were by far the toughest we had encounter to date. There was a stretch of road that we had to pull threw of soft sand up to the axles. It was brutal. We had to camp in view of the road, but there was little traffic. The road was rough and rocky and made pulling the wagon difficult, but we made good time and good distance.

I, too, thought that section would be hard. But when I saw the progress you were making real-time through the spot checker I decided that google maps must've made it worse than it actually was. That was a remarkable bit of hiking with that cart. Perhaps the tires didn't sink in as deep as expected. Or you found firmer ground on the sides of the road.

It should be easy(ier) from here on. The Mag Plain, as I recall, is fairly firm and pretty flat.

Congratulations!

woody with a view - 6-26-2012 at 08:10 PM

what a trip! say hi to OB Andy.

DianaT - 6-26-2012 at 08:12 PM

You two are real winners! Glad you had a great birthday.

Skipjack Joe - 6-26-2012 at 08:52 PM

At the start of the trip our travelers shot videos every day but didn't post them here. Here is one:

Ateo - 6-26-2012 at 09:20 PM

Great trip! Keep it coming.

11 am PDT June 27

David K - 6-27-2012 at 11:05 AM

BajaGeoff - 6-27-2012 at 11:36 AM

I had a nice chat with John yesterday....he was so amazed by the hospitality provided by DB and the Beck's...especially the homemade birthday cake! He seemed rejuvenated and ready for the next leg of the trip....

goldhuntress - 6-27-2012 at 07:30 PM

The Walkers have checked in for the night and as close as I can figure they went about 17 miles today.

Ateo - 6-27-2012 at 07:41 PM

Good day. There has been a lady who made birthday cakes for my son the last 5 years we went to San Juanico. His birthday always falls when we do our annual trip (not this year tho- work is kicking).

On the Malecon, furthest house south before Juan y Juans if I remember correctly. The cakes were awesome.

goldhuntress - 6-28-2012 at 09:35 AM

John and Rachel got started at 7:30 this morning and have gone 3.5 miles. I noticed on the map that the road they are on comes to an abrupt end. Is it finished now? That road must be fairly new because google maps will not follow it, it wants to use the dirt one above it. I'm mapping the mileage thru here on http://www.mapmyrun.com with the "follow road" turned off and manually drawing the route instead of using gps coordinates.

WED. PM and THU. AM

David K - 6-28-2012 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
John and Rachel got started at 7:30 this morning and have gone 3.5 miles. I noticed on the map that the road they are on comes to an abrupt end. Is it finished now? That road must be fairly new because google maps will not follow it, it wants to use the dirt one above it. I'm mapping the mileage thru here on http://www.mapmyrun.com with the "follow road" turned off and manually drawing the route instead of using gps coordinates.

Zoom in on Spot (or Google) and you will see they are on the newer paved road to Las Barrancas (and on south). The sat. view isn't new enough to show the pavement reaching Las Barrancas.

2008 sign:

Highway was finished just last year.

[Edited on 6-28-2012 by David K]

goldhuntress - 6-28-2012 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Zoom in on Spot (or Google) and you will see they are on the newer paved road to Las Barrancas (and on south). The sat. view isn't new enough to show the pavement reaching Las Barrancas.
[Edited on 6-28-2012 by David K]

Yes I know they are on the newer paved. It's just so new that if you put the gps coordinates in to get the mileage it will only use the old road for the driving/walking directions and that takes it way off the route they took. Glad to know it's finished.

goldhuntress - 6-28-2012 at 12:49 PM

The Walkers just did a check in and have gone 8 miles so far today. Wonder if this is it for the day or if it's a break until later. Maybe it's gotten hot today.

David K - 6-28-2012 at 04:09 PM

They are still walking, almost 4pm PDT...

Spot Tracker Link

Desertbull - 6-28-2012 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
Good day. There has been a lady who made birthday cakes for my son the last 5 years we went to San Juanico. His birthday always falls when we do our annual trip (not this year tho- work is kicking).

On the Malecon, furthest house south before Juan y Juans if I remember correctly. The cakes were awesome.

When we found out it was Baja Walk John's birthday we scoured the tiendas for a box cake and some frosting spread...dunno how long it was on the shelf but John Beck said well this will be my first ever cake baking....let alone on a propane oven...we laughed and I said its all you baby! He NAILED it!

Candles=wooden match sticks .... Chocolate can frosting...

Good times! John and Rachel=Nice people!

goldhuntress - 6-28-2012 at 09:21 PM

Today John and Rachel walked 14 miles :spingrin::spingrin:They are a little over a mile from Las Barrancas, 6.5 miles from 53 and 61.8 miles from Insurgentes, at the intersection of 53/ Mexico 1. From there it's 146 miles to La Paz!

JUNE 28 TRACK

David K - 6-29-2012 at 08:36 AM

June 29, 8:32am PDT

David K - 6-29-2012 at 08:43 AM

10 minutes ago, they were in 'downtown' Las Barrancas:

goldhuntress - 7-1-2012 at 08:05 AM

John and Rachel checked in Saturday morning at 4:47am and not a track or word since. It's Sunday morning, 8am. That's unusual for them and I'm wondering whats up:?:

JUNE 30

David K - 7-1-2012 at 12:14 PM

The above image is from June 30, nothing new today (July 1) as of noon Pacific Time. Most of what is on this image is from June 29. They made no progress on June 30 or this morning. No new signal, either.

SPOT TRACKER LINK

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by David K]

Desertbull - 7-1-2012 at 01:25 PM

They suffered multiple flat tires, SPOT batteries ran out, they ran out of money in fixing the flats and no banks within 150 miles since they left Vizcaino. They checked in via online with their stateside support team this morning and reported they are all good and were in Constitucion and resupplying.

They received lots of support from the locals and they are living the adventure they expected this challenge to be.

DB

David K - 7-1-2012 at 02:11 PM

Thanks for the news Tim.

mexicoliving - 7-1-2012 at 09:54 PM

Can we get a break? On Wednesday June 27, we had a wonderful breakfast at El Burro restaurant. The restaurant is complete with surfboards hanging on the walls, and a lush garden of potted plants, under a cool palapa. A relaxing oasis atmosphere we had enjoyed two days prior. Once again we enjoyed a great conversation with our new good friend Tim Sanchez, along with the Omelet de Papas, which is a crispy omelet of hash browns stuffed, in my case, with bacon, avocado and eggs. It is Awesome. (view image)

When we had completed our breakfast, Tim said his goodbyes, climbed into his massive Dodge diesel truck (view image), and drove back to John Beck’s house to prepare for his return to the United States. Rachel and I paid and while Rachel completed a couple of tasks on the restaurants computers, in their Internet Café area, I browsed their display counter of miscellaneous trinkets and local merchandise.

When we went out to Mad Max, we were both upset to find that our carts front left tire was completely flat. We had noticed it was low when we had pulled it to the restaurant, but had only thought it needed a little air. Rachel suggested we head back to John’s house, but I told her that now that Tim had left, we were once again on our own and need to deal with it ourselves.

John and Seth Beck had given us a little C02 compressed air gun, to fill a tire in case of a flat. It was the first time I had seen such a device, but was familiar with C02 from owning pellet guns as a kid. However, that previous experience was not any help in this case. I inserted the C02 cartridge and screwed on the handle and immediately the device started to blow cold air. I knew it wouldn’t last long and panicked. I tried and to get the device to the tire, but when that failed I attempted to plug it with my thumb. All my efforts got me was an empty C02 cartridge and a cold burn on my thumb from trying to plug the frozen air escaping the cartridge.

Fortunately, we had another spare and as we had done many times in the past, we quickly changed the tire and were ready to roll in only a few minutes. The problem was we were now leaving town with no available spare tires. As we were fixing the tire, a local gringo Coyote Steve pulled up (view image). We told him of our situation and he suggested we stop by Antonio’s the local llantera (tire shop). He gave us directions and we were on our way.

Antonio’s was easy to spot from the old tires lying about the tin covered garage area, dispersed and stacked between a dead generator or two, a bench seat that was removed from a car many years back, and sits exactly in the same place it was first placed (view image). The first person to come out to greet us was Antonio’s son. We explained how we wanted to get three of our tires working. I gave him the first tire and he walked off, and we didn’t see him again for about 10 minutes, until Antonio himself came out of his house located towards the back of the property. He emerged half-dressed, and was pulling over his shirt and buttoning his pants as he neared. His son appeared from a place beyond the house carrying our tire, exactly in the same condition I had given it to him.

After a few minutes of searching for tools, Antonio settled on a socket without the wrench to remove the wheel bolts. But, before trying to remove the bolts, he meticulously marked the location of the value stems on each of the tires with a white wax pencil. I thought this man really wants to be precise. He quickly realized he needed the wrench that goes with the socket to get the bolts removed, and after another search about the garage; moving tools from one location to another and back again, he found the wrench and went to work removing the well-marked tires from all the wheels.

While Antonio worked on our tires, our friend Tim Sanchez, had driven his car to the edge of town, which gave him a view of Antonio’s garage, and of course Rachel and I sitting there waiting. He came over and couldn’t believe we had not left yet, and were sitting at the tire shop. Moments later John and Seth Beck pulled up, equally surprised to see us. After a quick hello, and Tim replacing a bungee cord we had lost, we all once again said goodbye.

Antonio had us ready to go, and after $100 pesos, we now had four working tires on the cart and two spares. However, I did notice that he had exchanged the tires and the rims, mixing them up, so much for needing the wax pencil or being precise. I strapped on my harness, and we started again walking south. It was now 11AM and the sun was almost directly above, and unlike the previous two days in san Juanico, there was absolutely no breeze and it was hot.

We had been told that we would be hugging the Pacific coast between San Juanico and Las Barrancas; however, it wasn’t long after leaving town that the road moved inland just far enough that we could no longer see the coast, and it would be a long time before we saw it again. The road began to rise and fall, as the arroyos of the mountains made their way to the sea, not dissimilar to a roller coaster. We were either climbing a hill or descending one. On the largest of these climbs, Rachel and I were pulling and pushing in the heat, encouraging each other, by reminding the other, we were nearing the top, and just as we crested the top, I could hear the tires on the road more than usual and looked back to see the front left tire was completely flat. The same tire Antonio had fixed just 6 kilometers earlier. We replaced the flat tire with our second to last spare and started walking again.

It was our first day out of San Juanico and although we left late, we were able to push ourselves to about 23 kilometers (14 miles) and made camp in a clearing in the desert, something we were lucky to find (view image). Small thorns covered the ground and required sweeping. So, using the head of an actual kitchen broom we carry specifically for that purpose, Rachel swept away a space for the tent. A great tip provided by our friend Jerry Freer.

The next morning we were able to get up and out around 7AM, with our goal to get as far as possible, ideally all the way to Las Barrancas. We had not walked long when new San Juanico friend Tony Moats drove up on his way to Ciudad Constitucion to pick up his brother-in-law and his two kids, which were arriving on the bus from San Jose del Cabo. He told us he would be returning later in the evening, between 7-9PM, and asked us if there was anything, we might want for a treat. Of course, my quick reply was Pacifico, and “I have a deposit bottle”. I have been carrying a large deposit bottle for several hundred miles, and had it available for just these opportunities. Rachel couldn’t decide as quickly, and started with the Magnum ice cream bar, then moved to a Snickers bar if they were available. Tony told us he would see what he could do, and wanted to know how he would be able to find us. After a moment, I told him we would create three stacks of rocks, each with 3 rocks and place it next to the road on the right-hand side. He told us he would see us later and drove off.

Throughout the day, we continued to push each other on, counting down the kilometer markers, when they were available and periodically stopping to consult the map when they were not. We decided from the beginning not to bring a GPS and only use the map, and that was before we became prisoners of the road. About midday, the heat became too much, and we equally agreed it was time to find or create some shade. With some heat related bickering, we concluded we needed to create our own shade because we could not find or agree on anything we found. We decided to work on perfecting our shade creating lean-to technique. Using our cart, umbrella, and tarps, we build our shade based on the direction of the sun and the wind. Ideally, we wanted the sun to pass over without moving us out of its shadow, and allowing the breeze to blow through. In almost each case, the umbrella, which was a tip from our friend Jim Green in San Felipe, has been the most important element, usually supporting our tarp roof (view image).

After about 2 hours, a nice nap, some peanut butter and banana sandwiches, a few tortilla chips, it was once again time to walk. Within a few miles, a rancher in a Toyota pickup pulling a horse trailer pulled up and asked if we needed anything (view image). We told him “todo bien”, or “all is good” and he was off. Later in the day, he stopped again heading the opposite direction and wanted to see if our condition had changed. We assured him we were okay, introduced ourselves, and provided him with a printed sheet explaining our walk in Spanish. As in many similar cases, he was pleased and introduced himself as Alberto, the owner of the La carnicería, or meat market in Las Barrancas and told us we were welcome to visit his place, that he had food, water and a place to rest. We confirmed that we would make it to town later in the day and his offer was much appreciated and we would love to visit him.

About an hour later, Rachel yelled for me to stop pulling. “I think we have a problem”, she says “looks like were losing the barring in our tire”. Sure enough, the tires was wobbling side-to-side and was causing the cart to veer left to right, and making Rachel move out into the road. Once again, we unpacked the top of the cart and pulled out the tools to remove the tire. When I remove the tire, sure enough the barring fell out on the road. We were now completely out of spares, and had only been walking two days.

As the day came to end, and Rachel and I could no longer walk because of exhaustion and sore feet, we came to an arroyo that looked as if it would make a good campsite. Rachel checked one side of the road while I checked the other. The right side was the best and since that was the side we told Tony we would place our rock marker, we began stacking our rocks. The problem was that not only had Tony not returned, but also if we waited for Tony we would disappoint Alberto, who might be left waiting for us. It was at that moment that Alberto drove us in his Toyota, this time with two cows, and horse in his trailer. After a short period of trying to explain our situation in our broken Spanish, he understood and we all agreed we would come to his store in the morning. This was perfect for us, because at this point we were down to only 2 gallons and water and no spares, so these had to be addressed before we continued.

After Alberto left we waited until the coast was clear and made our way into the arroyo and set up camp, took a sponge bath, or in our case shower, since it is more of a rinse using a jug of water and scrunchy and shared in making dinner. Just as the sun was dropping and we were readying for bed, Tony and his family arrived, and not only did they have my Pacifico, which was the larger variety than the deposit bottle provided, but also Snickers, a half pint of ice cream and two ice cream cones. Of course, there was no way we could carry ice cream, so that was left in the ice chest for the kids (view image). We gladly accepting the Snickers, a small container of ice cream that Rachel thought she could get through before bed, and of course, the beer that I knew I could get through before bed. As we were standing there, visiting a man in a beat-up car drove past us and up the arroyo, where he turned off his engine once out of our view. This made me a little nervous, but didn’t seem to be noticed by the others.

After a short visit, Tony and his family drove off while we finished our much-appreciated treats then went to bed full, but happy. I sat up for a while listening in the dark, wondering what the man was doing. In an hour or so, I heard to the car start, drive as if he was coming closer than stop dead again. This time, I could hear he was trying to start the car, but it would comply. I again waited, listened and dozed off, later to be awaken by another car. It didn’t take long for me to realize that the second car had come to pull the dead car from the arroyo and after a short time of fussing in the darkness; I saw the two cars pass our camp, leaving the arroyo and us for the rest of the night.

The next morning, we got a late start, not leaving camp until almost 9AM, not wanting to get to town or Alberto’s too early, so we moved through our daily routine slowly, without hurry. I took the time to tear down our tires, and to put together the best combinations I could, and actually got a good spare out of them. The only thing I missed was the air to fill it, which we could no doubt get from the tire shop in town. Once we were ready, we eased onto the highway and moved south the short distance to the town turnoff, a dirt road. Alberto had drawn us a quick map the day before and as small as Las Barrancas was, finding his home and store was easy. It was located at the end of the town’s only main street, directly across from the community center and the Las Barrancas town monument (view image), plus the big bull painted on the business wall helped (view image).

We asked the young kid in the store if Alberto was around, and were told he was gone but would be returning soon and that we could wait for him on the shaded patio. The young man from the store, which we found out, was Alberto’s son opened two large doors at the end of the patio, which appeared to be a garage or barn. Rachel said she wanted to see in the barn and walked down to the open gate as I watched, waiting for Alberto to return. Rachel quickly turned “this is not a barn, it’s a slaughter room”, she said looking back at me with a surprised look on her face. It was about that time Alberto returned in another big commercial work truck with a friend Francisco from San Felipe, and they were carrying a big cow in the back. When the truck was backed up to the “barn” we knew what was next.

We went out to meet Alberto and he walked back to the patio where we all sat around and visited for a while, until they said they had some work to do, and they walked off towards the barn, motioning us to follow. Rachel said she did not want to see it, but I told her I had not seen anything like it and wanted to watch, at least what I could. I grabbed the video camera and with Alberto’s permission started videoing the whole process. I wasn’t sure how I would react, but wanted to see it at least once. The room was very clean, ceiling to floor cement with a small storage area in the back.

The truck was back up close to the large doors, the cow was lassoed and tied, then with an electric prod the cow was forced to jump from the truck, where he was pulled to the ground, in a kneeling position with its head to the floor. Both Alberto and Francisco began laughing at me, as they could see my expression when Alberto handed a rifle to Francisco. Francisco wasting no time, c-cking the rifle, placing it near the cows forehead and pulled the trigger. The cow shuddered a moment and drop to the floor, where Francisco immediately punchered the cows chest with a very sharp knife, and cut a whole not much larger than a half dollar coin. Then using a small cooking pot, Francisco captured the blood pouring from the wound and transferred it into a plastic five-gallon bucket. The process was clean, and not what I expected, not really knowing what I expected. When there was no longer blood coming from the wound, he tied the cow’s legs and after a few swipes of his knife blade across a sharpening tool, he began skinning the cow. At this point, I left to check on Rachel, and when I returned a short while later, he was already removing steaks, and pieces of meat I recognized. Although I am glad I got to witness this process at least once, I will be okay with purchasing my meat from a market in the future.

Alberto provided us with some incredible jerky and machaca for us to have on the road, and invited us into his home, where we had a wonderful lunch with his wife and son. We enjoyed a conversation, which consisted a lot of figuring out what the other was trying to say, but it was a great time. And when I pulled out my glasses to try and read some translated Spanish on their son’s hand-held translator, Alfredo tried them on, and was gesturing how well he could see, then turned to his wife and told her how beautiful she was, and gave her a kiss. I was so moved by the gesture that I gave him the glasses to keep. I knew that once we left him, I only had four days before picking up a package from home, that would contain new contacts for me and I wouldn’t need them.

After lunch, we stocked up our water supply and got our spare aired up from Alberto, no longer needing to go to the llantera (tire shop); we took some photos with the family (view image) and said our good byes.

Once again, we were leaving late, around noon and the sun was up high in the sky and there was no breeze again, making the walk a little tough, but we both agreed the experience and new friends made it worth it. The road was being worked on, with new segments being added and paved, so pulling was slow, but we got to highway 53, and headed south. At around 2:30PM, we found a nice tree next to the highway, and stopped to rest in the shade, listened to our audio books, ate a peanut butter sandwich, and took a nap (view image). Around 4PM, we started walking again for a couple of hours, until we found an arroyo that we felt provided some good coverage (view image), and by the time we were setup, it was getting dark.

The next morning we got up around 4:30AM, determined to get a good start on the day. The morning was cool, and since we both fell asleep quickly the night before, we felt refreshed and ready to go. Not many kilometers after passing a small community called Francisco Villa, I again notice the cart getting tougher to pull, and found that once again we had another flat tire. This time the hole was from a thorn that punchered the tube, something that was getting easier as the tires tread got thinner and thinner. The problem this time, was we were out of money, not having access to money since Vizcaino, a couple hundred miles earlier, we were out of spare tires, and we were out of batteries for our Spot satellite device, having gone through them since receiving a package of Lithium batteries in Guerrero Negro. We mutually decided to get a ride to Constitucion where we had a package waiting at the bus station, a bank, and new tires. We stuck out our thumb, when the first truck appeared. It was a small pickup truck with a man and women, and the bed only contained an ice chest. The man, Jesus Alonso, help load us in the back of his truck and climbed back into the cab with his wife Iracema.

Rachel and I sat in the back of the truck, trying to stay warm from the wind and cloud cover. We made a couple of stops, so they could pick up a few items at a veterinarian in Zaragoza, use a restroom in Insurgentes, before we drove directly to Banamex to restock up on dinero. We were very grateful, and asked them if we could take them for lunch, so they took us to a great Taquería for fish and shrimp tacos. After lunch and getting to know them better, we learned that he was an administrator, and Iracema had two brothers and a sister, one of which was a teacher in La Paz. After lunch, they asked if there was anywhere, they could take us, so we asked if they knew of a cheap hotel. As luck would have it, they did. As bad luck would have it, they did. But we didn’t find out soon enough, and made the mistake of paying the $230 pesos before looking at the rooms.

The Hotel Reforma is a two-story hotel painted white with orange trim, and has about 25 rooms. The old man at the desk was kind enough to provide us with our requested bottom floor room and even walked us to the room. We dragged out cart inside, and wanted to get our projects done quickly; finding a tire, getting to the bus station, purchasing some supplies, etc. What we found out was the door wouldn’t lock, when we told the old man, he provided us with another key, and again it wouldn’t work. Therefore, he moved us to a new room, only now the room had no key at all, he said to lock it, and he would open it later.

Getting our projects took the rest of the day, and once we got our packages from the bus station and returned them to the room, where the old man still did not have a key and had to open the room for us, we left again to complete the rest of our tasks. We found Raul, (view image) and the best llantera we have ever seen in Baja, clean, impeccably organized, and very friendly. Not only did he fix the tire we had, he sold us a brand new tire, and all for only $150 pesos. The next door to the tire shop, was a bicycle shop, (view image) also part of the family business, where low and behold we found a small, lightweight bike pump and patches, two things we had not had any luck tracking down since leaving.

We also stopped to at the pharmacy to replenish our Ibuprofen, lip balm and to get some consulting on some health issues that first started in Vizcaino. At first, we were scared, but after a little self-diagnosis on Google, we felt better, and I felt better. Then when we got to San Ignacio Lagoon, I had blood in my urine. This again had us nervous, and although a bad policy, we once again self-diagnosed the problem, not really finding the answer, but at least eliminating enough to carry on. Although the blood has not returned, I was starting to have lower back pain, but it didn’t feel the same as muscle soreness. When we left San Juanico, I was feeling 100% better, no pain, no symptoms of any kind. I have been feeling much better, and the back pain is more of a periodic feeling now, than an actual pain, but we thought we might check a consultant anyways. Of course, when we got there, there was a long wait, so after some arguing with Rachel, I got my way, and we didn’t go in and I promised to see a doctor when returning home to San Felipe. Although Rachel didn’t get her way with the doctor, we did get everything else.

We left and returned, having completed most of our tasks, and walking many miles around town, from one end to the other. By the time we returned to the hotel, it was late in the day, and the old man gave us our room key as promised.

When we actually got into the room, we found that it had not only missed the key, but the glass in the window was missing, but fortunately it had thick curtains and heavy bars over it (view image). The bathroom was tiled floor to ceiling, and the showerhead was a pipe sticking out of the wall, and no hot water. The tile was covered in small flies and the room was buzzing with mosquitos, needless to say, we kept the door shut. The room had spider webs in most of the corners, and looked as if it had not been cleaned in a while, if at all. It was dark and there was nowhere to go, so we decided to make the most of it, and actually camped in the room, placing our air mattress on the bed and never pulling back the covers. By the time we got to bed, we knew we needed more time, which meant we had to find another hotel in the morning.

In the morning, we immediately began walking up and down the main roads, and after about two hours, we finally were about to return back, when just two block from the “Bates Motel”, we found Hotel Arborita, a small 18 room hotel, painted in olive green, with small clean rooms, hot water, internet access and very pleasant staff. What a major improvement and it was only $3 pesos more.

Today we packed, showered, and got some things done for the Baja Blues Fest, our own website, and other work, resting up for the start of walking again tomorrow. We have decided not to go back to Francisco Villa, or the place we were picked up and continue from here, not wanting to repeat the nightmare we had in Guerrero Negro. We had promised ourselves we would never to go backwards again. We figure we are missing two days and about 50 miles, and will deal with the loss of those miles, and any penalty points that come with it, but are ready to continue and are prepared to deal the hottest and most difficult part of the walk. We expect to be in La Paz 8 days, on our around July 9, where we hope to rest for at least two days, before continuing to Los Barriles, where we expect to arrive on or near July 14. If things go as planned, we will be in Todos Santos by July 20.

goldhuntress - 7-2-2012 at 12:01 AM

Thanks for the update! I keep a close eye on the Spot and always read the check-ins to make sure it's all good with you both so when it all stopped I wondered what was going on. Glad you OK. Stay positive and strong. See you at the Blues Festival.:biggrin:

Ateo - 7-2-2012 at 06:48 AM

What an incredible couple of days....but memories and story conversations for the rest of your life. Stay strong!!!

DianaT - 7-2-2012 at 09:42 AM

Amazing what you have accomplished so far! Really enjoy your updates.

BajaGeoff - 7-2-2012 at 11:04 AM

Great update John! You guys are troopers and are doing an amazing job out there!

July 2, 2012 South from Cd. Constitucion

David K - 7-2-2012 at 11:58 PM

Ateo - 7-3-2012 at 08:06 AM

Is this the longest straight stretch in Baja or does the Guerrero Negro stretch take the cake?

David K - 7-3-2012 at 08:16 AM

I think this section is the one... !

July 3 3:30 pm PDT...

David K - 7-3-2012 at 03:47 PM

and they were still moving!

goldhuntress - 7-3-2012 at 09:34 PM

18.5 miles today for John and Rachel:spingrin:

Mulegena - 7-3-2012 at 09:56 PM

These guys-- er uhm, lady and gentle man-- are knockin' me OUT!

July 4, 1pm PDT

David K - 7-4-2012 at 01:10 PM

They spent the night by #30, south of Santa Rita... They are really moving along... must have the wind at their backs!

goldhuntress - 7-4-2012 at 10:30 PM

WOW! Just happened to look at the Spot page and they are walking right now! It's 11:30pm!!! They stopped at 1:30 this afternoon and started again at 7:00pm and are still moving. Must be hot. So far today they have walked about 15 miles. I'm impressed, they are 2 very determined people. Happy 4th of July John and Rachel(((HUG)))

micah202 - 7-5-2012 at 08:06 AM

oooooh,,that cart and it's small wheels,,,,must be -painful-:no:

John and Rachael sighting!!!

Mulegena - 7-5-2012 at 09:12 AM

Yesterday alongside Mex-1 'way south of Constitution and 15k's north of Las Pocitas.

We were headed north and saw their infamous cart parked out in the weeds next to a lean-to.

"It's the couple that are walking the peninsula!" I suddenly hollered with realization.
"With that cart? No way," said husband, "Its a road-workers' camp."
"Turn around and go back!!" I squealed.

I could see the thoughts going thru Ricardo's head, "How does she know all this weird stuff going on in Baja?" he wondered incredulously... but he turned around and drove back.

There they were! Takin' a nap; sorry we disturbed your beauty rest, but I could not miss this opportunity!
"Helloooo, MexicoLiving!" I hollered from aways away.

Rachael came out, all smiles and flags flying.
"How did you know it was us?" she asked.
The cart was the give-away.

John soon rolled out for the unexpected company while my dog Suzi took the opportunity to explore their makeshift campsite and husband sat there in the car stunned at the sight of these two incredible people out walking the Baja summer desert. He got out and enthusiastically greeted the couple when he realized I was correct and not suffering sun-induced delusions myself.

After some pleasantries we let them get back to their mid-day rest, and as we drove away my husband took another look at their cart, "They're pushing that cart through the desert?" he asked again incredulously and with deep and great admiration.

You guys look good, happy, radiantly healthy.
What a treat to have met you.

Go, Kids, GO!!!

Graham - 7-5-2012 at 09:32 AM

John and Rachel, also enjoying your updates, your determination and achievement is truly inspiring. If the journey ends tomorrow you have accomplished something unique and heroic that deserves to be long remembered and celebrated.

And a belated… Happy July 4. Thought about what you were going through and the amazing spirit that has carried you so far.

But a little misgiving... With the cauldron of La Paz and the East Cape before them, I sure hope John gets something other than self diagnosis after finding blood in his urine and reporting periodic lower back pain. I’m surprised no one else has commented on this. I certainly wouldn’t wait till I get back to San Felipe to get a few tests.

I remember a year or two after Into a Desert Place was published I received a letter from a doctor in Russia, who was convinced that after my bouts with dehydration and over-exertion in the Baja heat I had irreversible kidney damage and should get myself checked out. Well that was thirty years ago and I’m still going strong… and I never had any tests, so I confess I find it odd that I’m the one voicing concern over this and advising caution. But then again I never had those symptoms!

I wish I were in La Paz now; I would drive out and offer to load up my pickup with the cart and most all the gear and run beside them and check in with them occasionally with cold drinks and help them set up camp in the evening. Maybe that will be the ideal solution, even if for just some of the time, to free them from the load and keep them going if all proves well.

They sure deserve all the help and kindness they can get.

micah202 - 7-5-2012 at 09:41 AM

....mannn,,if I was down there,I'd be putting together a decent cart for them at LEAST!!!...those tiny wheels would be just terrible in sand,,as evidenced by the # of flats they're getting:no:

...definitely sounds important to take a break,,have some tests!

crazy world

captkw - 7-5-2012 at 09:53 AM

and you wonder why other life forms dont stop and say Hi:lol::lol:

July 5

David K - 7-5-2012 at 08:28 PM

Ateo - 7-5-2012 at 08:39 PM

Stay strong................quite an accomplishment. There are doctors in La Paz if you need a checkup. Sorry to be a bummer. I hate the doctors office too.

shari - 7-6-2012 at 07:42 AM

the moonlight walking must be lovely indeed...looks like it's gonna get pretty scorchy over the weekend as "Daniel" sucks out any breeze...be safe and pray for shade!

mexicoliving - 7-6-2012 at 08:33 AM

Thank you everyone for the very kind words. This is just a quick update because our time is limited, it has been getting hotter and hotter, and we only realized we could get internet access a moment ago and we are losing the coolness of the morning. I think we are going to just walk a few km and stop until this evening and walk through the night. It is much cooler, but a lot more dangerous and more difficult to find camping, but we do have a good moon still.

The last couple of days we have had many roadside visitors and made many new friends. These visits energize us and keep up moving; we love them. We have some great photos and a more detailed up date coming when we get to La Paz.

We are down to no spares, no tread, and three of the tubes have leaks. The biog problem is one of them is loosing the barrings, so we moved it to the back and are being very very careful. They are all well-greased. I got one patched well this morning, so I am hoping it will get us some distance. If you are in La Paz or know someone in La Paz, we could use a couple of tires and wheels. We are walking obviously, so if you know where we can buy them, or can bring them to us, we can pay for them. We just don't want to have to walk all over a city the size of La Paz to try and find them. They are wheel barrel tires, or tires for a "diablo", as the Mexicans have been calling them.

The tires are 4.10 x 3.50. Here is a photo: http://bajagoodlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tire-and-...

Thanks again. I plan to post this request on the La Paz Gringo group as well.

Again thank you for all the support and visits and we will provide a detailed update with photos of all these wonderful visitors when we get to La Paz, along with comments to many of you specifically, we feel bad we can not talk or comment on all of your comments at the moment. Gotta hit the road, while we still can. We are in Las Pacitas heading out in a couple of minutes.

goldhuntress - 7-6-2012 at 08:36 AM

May the force be with you!!!

Walking

captkw - 7-6-2012 at 09:01 AM

HOLA walkers..Ummmm.why would you wait till this time of year to do this??? I do not understand ????? K & T :?:

RnR - 7-6-2012 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
They are wheel barrel tires, or tires for a "diablo", as the Mexicans have been calling them.

The tires are 4.10 x 3.50. Here is a photo: http://bajagoodlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tire-and-...

"Un diablo" is the common word for a handtruck so they are wheelbarrow or handtruck tires.

"Diablo" actually refers to the forks (horns) on a forklift but they use the word for a handtruck, also. (Sometimes "diablito", little devil)

Good Luck!

comitan - 7-6-2012 at 10:08 AM

I have 2 sets wheels and tires leaving here to take them to them in an hour.

wiley

Udo - 7-6-2012 at 10:13 AM

Wiley is a great source...he's got everything needed!

goldhuntress - 7-6-2012 at 10:40 AM

They must be having problems, they turned around and went back to where they spent the night. Comitan, cool! They need all the help they can get!

Desertbull - 7-6-2012 at 11:41 AM

By the time they were able to say long goodbyes to their host family, it was 10 am and the sun was burning hot so they walked 1 kilometer and turned around back to the porch and they plan on leaving at 2am to continue their trek southward.

They are down to no spare tires and out of money again due to continued repairs and supplies on the wagon, no banks until La Paz.

mexicoliving - 7-6-2012 at 04:20 PM

Wiley and Carol found us with the help of local police, they brought two brand new tires and refreshments, including fresh baked bread.

We went back to Rossy's Restaurant to wait until early morning to try again. Rachel had not been good the day before due to heat and we didn't want to do it again today, so we changed our mind about walking today. We going to leave this morning and walk in the moon light and cool mornings...

We did it this time of year for a couple of reasons; 1 it is the only time of the year when we have the available time, and 2, the point is to bring attention to the challenges our charities face during the summer, by creating a challenge for ourselves...our goal is to gt people to help, so that we can all over come the challenges.

Thanks again to everyone, and to Wiley and Carol, and DesertBull for giving them an update.

David K - 7-6-2012 at 06:12 PM

SPOT TRACKER MAP LINK

Not anything new to show from yesterday's map... Understand the heat and sunlight is intense... the sun is nearly straight overhead that close to the Tropic of Cancer in early July. If the equipment doesn't fail, the people could.

Nobody will fault you guys if you end this torture of man and machine... 'er 'diablo' at La Paz (or sooner). Your health is more important than anything... as without that, you're toast (or is it toasted?)!

micah202 - 7-7-2012 at 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:
They are wheel barrel tires, or tires for a "diablo", as the Mexicans have been calling them.

"Un diablo" is the common word for a handtruck so they are wheelbarrow or handtruck tires.

"Diablo" actually refers to the forks (horns) on a forklift but they use the word for a handtruck, also. (Sometimes "diablito", little devil)

Good Luck!

...it'd be good to confirm the axle size and upgrade to actual 14'' -wheelbarrow- tires!....those are 8.5''....I just can't inagine how many 4'' holes they bottom-out on:no:

...'nuff adversity already:o

comitan - 7-7-2012 at 04:56 AM

After meeting them yesterday I would have to say they are doing fine, nothing for anybody to worry about. They have new tires and wheels and should be good to get to La Paz, they can get more wheels and tires if necessary.

goldhuntress - 7-7-2012 at 11:30 AM

The Walkers went about 12 miles last night and are now 55 miles from La Paz. :yes::spingrin:

thebajarunner - 7-7-2012 at 02:34 PM

I kept having trouble with flats on my wheelbarrow,
so my partner ordered one of those solid, never can go flat tires and never had a problem since.

Am I missing something? Or would a set of those resolve a lot of issues....

Also the "barrings" (sic) issue surely could be resolved.
Wondering if they are properly sized.... a trip to a bearing specialty place would likely resolve that problem.... La Paz may even have such.

Mula - 7-7-2012 at 02:41 PM

The solid wheelbarrow tires here in Baja that I have bought are heavy!

Don't know about the weight of the WB tires from the states.

But I was thinking - solid tires are the way to go for these people.

Skipjack Joe - 7-7-2012 at 03:19 PM

Quote:

Wondering if they are properly sized.... a trip to a bearing specialty place would likely resolve that problem.... La Paz may even have such.

My theory is that the sand on the roads on the pacific side of baja has worked it's way in and messed up the bearings. I don't believe they had these problems on the gravel road from S Felipe to hwy 1.

comitan - 7-7-2012 at 04:44 PM

Once again they are in good shape equipment wise their moral is high, they are in great shape for the final leg.

DianaT - 7-7-2012 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Once again they are in good shape equipment wise their moral is high, they are in great shape for the final leg.

That is good to hear!

Curt63 - 7-7-2012 at 05:49 PM

Sorry I haven't kept up. Are they going to end the walk in BCS or walk north another 1000 miles?

comitan - 7-7-2012 at 05:53 PM

Just the south leg.

Go back and read their posts

thebajarunner - 7-7-2012 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

My theory is that the sand on the roads on the pacific side of baja has worked it's way in and messed up the bearings. I don't believe they had these problems on the gravel road from S Felipe to hwy 1.

They were having barring (sic) problems at Rosarito, June 3, a far way from the sands of the Pacifico....

July 7

David K - 7-7-2012 at 09:05 PM

La Paz is not that far away (anymore)!

David K - 7-8-2012 at 06:56 AM

They started today at 2:25 am PDT... and going right now (almost 7 am):
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

David K - 7-8-2012 at 08:45 AM

Still Moving Along... :cool:

They are really 'truckin' now!

Mexitron - 7-8-2012 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
I kept having trouble with flats on my wheelbarrow,
so my partner ordered one of those solid, never can go flat tires and never had a problem since.

Am I missing something? Or would a set of those resolve a lot of issues....

Solid tires are okay for light loads but sag annoyingly with increased weight...however I'm speaking from experience using a wheelbarrow in my landscaping business---spread out over four tires the weight issue may be negligible.

Another consideration though is that they don't tend to ride over sandy soil but plow through it and they can't be aired down if need be.

La Paz is just over the hill! July 8 pm

David K - 7-8-2012 at 10:29 PM

Mulegena - 7-8-2012 at 10:36 PM

Wow! You kids are really truckin'!!

So nice to see you just a few days ago at your camp north of Las Pocitas. Ricardo and I both send our regards and best wishes.

Careful out there on the highway at night. You're both so very precious!

David K - 7-9-2012 at 08:19 AM

Here again is their original schedule:

Walk Dates:
•San Felipe – Sat, May 12
•Puertecitos – Mon, May 14
•Gonzaga Bay – Wed, May 16
•Mision de Calamajue – Fri, May 18
•Bahia de los Angeles – Mon, May 21
•San Ignacio – Tues, May 29
•Santa Rosalia- Thurs, June 1
•Mulege – Sun, June 3
•Loreto – Thurs/Fri, June 7/8
•La Paz – Thurs/Fri, June 21/22
•Los Barriles – Mon, June 25
•San Jose del Cabo – Fri, June 29
•Cabo San Lucas – Sat, June 30
•Todos Santos – Mon, July 2
•Bahia de Magdalena – Mon/Tues, July 9/10
•Laguna San Ignacio – Fri/Sat/Sun July 20/21/22
•Guerrero Negro – Fri, July 27
•Santa Rosalillita – Tues, July 31
•(El Rosario) – Thurs, Aug 9
•San Quintin – Sat, Aug 11
•Ensenada – Thurs/Fri, Aug 16/17
•Puerto Nuevo - Click-On, Sun, Aug 19

It will be close to 2 months when they reach La Paz, this week. Even if they don't go further south and start walking north, they cannot get to Puerto Nuevo by Aug. 19. So, do they just keep walking the road to Cabo and back and quit on the 100th day, and hop a bus north or extend their walking time another month or more to do the full peninsula down and back up?

John, we are heading to La Paz in a few days, so maybe we will see you guys in person, too! Congratulations on your intense effort!! David & Elizabeth, Silver 4 door Tacoma, 4 big off road lights on the front.

July 9 near the La Aguja Road ('rob's)

David K - 7-9-2012 at 10:07 PM

They only walked from 12:45pm to 2:06 pm (PDT) per their Spot Track.

[Edited on 7-10-2012 by David K]

Mulegena - 7-9-2012 at 10:20 PM

I believe they said they want to walk at night and perhaps not every day, can't quite remember.
Believe they said their destination is Todo Santos via Cabo.

I hope their wagon's not weary again.
Wish we were closer to go find 'em.

They sure have struggled and they absolutely are all-round strong people. Extraordinary!

WARP SPEED TO LA PAZ MR. SULU!

David K - 7-9-2012 at 10:50 PM

One more look, and what do you know... they forgot to turn on their Spot again and lookie how far they got when they turned it back on!! At 10:43 PM PDT:

Skipjack Joe - 7-10-2012 at 07:20 AM

Looks as though our intrepid travelers will soon be approaching La Paz.

It won't be as simple there .....

goldhuntress - 7-10-2012 at 07:23 AM

If they walked that 13.3 miles in 4 hours they would have picked up the pace quit a bit. The check in is at a some buildings and so I wonder if they got a ride or if they had someone pick up the wagon and they walked without it. That far without the wagon would be very doable. Or maybe it's downhill there and they were able to pick up the pace, who knows! They are 17.5 miles from the center of La Paz at 8.:11 BCS time! Woohoo!!!
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6