BajaNomad

Another Reason to Stay at the Mission Cataviņa

DianaT - 5-18-2012 at 08:07 PM

This Hotel is simply a jewel in the middle of nowhere---well, not really nowhere as it is in the middle of what we think is one of the most beautiful deserts in the world.

And when the late day sun hit the door, we saw the ghost in the wood--- a face from the past and we wondered who it is. We hope you can see the face and can tell us who it might be.

I thought I read here that someone thought that Los Pinos no longer owned this hotel???? But yesterday, at the hotel we were told that Los Pinos still is the owner???

Cost? After the extra charge for the dogs and the discount for our FM3s, it was 1235.00 pesos. And for us, while it is not cheap, it is well worth it. We have stayed here several times in the past, and the recent changes are all for the better!

Bajaboy - 5-18-2012 at 08:21 PM

The place looks really nice but I can't justify the price. But I do look forward to camping in that area next week and taking in the million dollar views.

Thanks for the pictures.

rts551 - 5-18-2012 at 08:22 PM

Glad to hear you had a great stay! I wonder who it is?

DianaT - 5-18-2012 at 08:46 PM

Thanks to both of you--- we have all kinds of ideas as to who that face may be, but we are not sure!

Bajaboy, yes it is not cheap. For us it is a splurge that we have enjoyed for years. We have stayed at Rancho Santa Inez with our trailer and loved it and we have also stayed at Linda's Cabana's---good and not so good experience at Linda's. It is all good. Cataviņa is an enchanting place. Oh, some of the workers at the Hotel have a connection with BA --- Chayo's sister and his cousin work there.

Ralph---we have to know who is haunting that door! Think!

rts551 - 5-19-2012 at 07:18 AM

Shoot I am asking Gotta Peso

Mulegena - 5-19-2012 at 07:24 AM

GottaLoveThisPicture, Diana!
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
...we have all kinds of ideas as to who that face may be, but we are not sure!...we have to know who is haunting that door! Think!
is it GottaPeso...?

Seriously, IGotNoIdea-- actually I do, but I'm keepin' it under my cowboy hat right now.

The fact that your artist's eye saw this phenomenon and "captured the ghost" is fascinating. Tell us more, plz. Have you seen it before; is it obvious or only apparent with certain shadows striking the door and floor below?

[Edited on 5-19-2012 by Mulegena]

durrelllrobert - 5-19-2012 at 11:20 AM

I think that the rear end of the guy in the second photo looks more like Gotta Peso

Paula - 5-19-2012 at 11:39 AM

I see a face in the upper right corner of the door, beneath the molding. The eye is in the shadow, between two sun rays, and the mouth is in the sun below the ray that is under the eye. The face is painterly as though it was drawn on the door by a well-trained classical artist. Is that the face you mean?

I haven't a clue who it is.

DianaT - 5-19-2012 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
I see a face in the upper right corner of the door, beneath the molding. The eye is in the shadow, between two sun rays, and the mouth is in the sun below the ray that is under the eye. The face is painterly as though it was drawn on the door by a well-trained classical artist. Is that the face you mean?

I haven't a clue who it is.

I see that face now! That is But the one I saw before and prompted this picture is on the left arm of the cactus (as you look at it).

Mulegena, I had not seen a face there before---it just appeared to me with the light.

And Gotta Peso is still stitting where he always sits, so........

danaeb - 5-19-2012 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
This Hotel is simply a jewel in the middle of nowhere---well, not really nowhere as it is in the middle of what we think is one of the most beautiful deserts in the world.

I agree Diane. There's nothing like a drink and dinner after the first day's drive across the border. The wood-floored dining room with french doors open to the lighted boulder garden beyond - it is a gem.

WOW!

CasaManzana - 5-19-2012 at 04:44 PM

Photos to die for!!! Thanks. Yes expensive because of the location/ generator/labor supply/food supply...lots of good reasons. Again, the photos are great!

Skipjack Joe - 5-19-2012 at 04:54 PM

I forgot to write last night how much I liked the 2nd picture. The picture of a mature photographer. It's the best by far.

Udo - 5-19-2012 at 05:03 PM

There is another motel across the street for about $60.00 U.S. less.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
The place looks really nice but I can't justify the price. But I do look forward to camping in that area next week and taking in the million dollar views.

Thanks for the pictures.

tripledigitken - 5-19-2012 at 05:31 PM

Nice shots!!!

Barry A. - 5-19-2012 at 05:36 PM

Yes, beautiful photos, and beautiful very special hotel, but you folks are freaking me out---------WHAT FACE?????

Barry

rts551 - 5-19-2012 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
There is another motel across the street for about $60.00 U.S. less.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Thanks for the pictures.

yes it is less, but there is no comparison in quality. Have you ever stayed there?

willardguy - 5-19-2012 at 06:28 PM

mi cabanas linda in pepto bismol pink! at 35 bucks you can save enough to drink some ten dollar margies across the street:bounce:

Ken Bondy - 5-19-2012 at 06:30 PM

Love the place and those are wonderful images Diane!!

DianaT - 5-19-2012 at 09:48 PM

Thank you for the very nice comments ---

Igor, the second one is my favorite -- I turned around from what I was focused on and there he was.

Barry, as you look at that picture, look at the left arm of the cactus--look for the eyes---small little eyes.

[Edited on 5-20-2012 by DianaT]

Barry A. - 5-20-2012 at 07:50 AM

Quote:

Barry, as you look at that picture, look at the left arm of the cactus--look for the eyes---small little eyes.

Hmmmmmmmmm, pretty spooky!!!! Thanks, Diane.

Barry

Marc - 5-20-2012 at 07:54 AM

One of my favorite places. I always ask for a room on the west side away from the highway. A wonderful way to end a long hot drive.

yellowklr - 5-20-2012 at 11:55 AM

whats with the FM3 discount? never heard of that
maybe I need to ask for the Gringo married to a Mexican discount?

DianaT - 5-20-2012 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowklr
whats with the FM3 discount? never heard of that
maybe I need to ask for the Gringo married to a Mexican discount?

Some places give a 10% discount for people who have an FM3 or FM2.