BajaNomad

gophers in the garden

BajaBlanca - 5-24-2012 at 06:21 AM

we have just had our first sign ever of gophers around the yard but they haven't found my garden yet......how do I prevent them from eating all my plants ?????

thanks for any tips !

Russ - 5-24-2012 at 06:43 AM

pellet gun

Osprey - 5-24-2012 at 06:53 AM

Tuza trap at your local feed store.

mcfez - 5-24-2012 at 07:06 AM

We have them here at the farm...............the way we rid em is to put the water hose down the tunnel and leave the flow going til the water backs out of the tunnel opening.

These tunnels can run 30 - 40 feet!

Bob H - 5-24-2012 at 08:22 AM

Lot's of good info here....

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-trap-a-gopher/

Bajatripper - 5-24-2012 at 08:38 AM

They have gophers in Baja? Must be up around the border, they'd get dehydrated and mummified in their tunnels down in these parts.

Bob H - 5-24-2012 at 08:41 AM

Small video clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPpqhG3tYbI

durrelllrobert - 5-24-2012 at 08:42 AM

Are you sure that they are not moles? Moles don't eat plants; just bugs. Big hills = gophers

DavidE - 5-24-2012 at 08:43 AM

A friend had them undercutting the pavement at his machine shop. I used acetylene, 5X heavier than air. Worked like a charm. In Michoacan, we have Mexican whip snakes. Fast, aggressive, and with a high metabolism. No problems with gophers. Way out in the country campesinos used to dig out old rattlesnake dens, bag the dirt and spread some around gopher holes. Adios...

thebajarunner - 5-24-2012 at 09:10 AM

The first year we moved into our place here in the foothills outside of Oakdale I trapped 200 gophers on our three acres..... Whew, no exaggeration....
The traps are the only way to go.
But, the advice given shows only wire traps.
You need at least two kinds of traps, cuz some gophers figure out how to avoid one type...
The other trap is a 'box type' trap, hard to find the old wooden ones, but Orchard and Lowes sell a plastic box that is good.
The other secret, make sure that the end of the hole is sufficiently covered with dirt or a large board so that no light gets in- if they see light they will push dirt to cover it.

Hose down the hole- well, that sure makes you feel good, once in a great while it works, but it does a lot more underground erosion damage than any occasional benefit of a catch.

If you have a dog be sure to secure the trap area- my Lab races me to check the trap and she is an expert at digging em up and eating them whole- naw, not the trap, the gopher.

Final tip..... I have an owl house on a 20 foot pole out back. An owl will eat 3 to 5 critters, mostly mice and gophers, per night. Right now we have a pair, plus three little owlets.... which means every night at least a dozen critters are being consumed around our area.

Hope this helps- and put away the hose!!

baitcast - 5-24-2012 at 09:10 AM

How not to attack gophers 101

After trying many things that were guaranteed to rid me of a colony that had taken over a slight slope between my place and the lake I was ready to try anything.

My try at the water attack nearly washed away the side hill after pumping in hundreds of gallons in one hole and having hundreds of gallons coming out of many holes:lol:

What next?........Gasoline yes why not,got a couple of gallon cans and started pouring away the fumes should get them any time now,but nothing was happening by now I had put one can down the hole what now? a brain cramp was being to form as I pulled out a match:o

Picture this I'm standing over the hole as I dropped the match in,an explosion took place,a fire ball comes out of there and burns everything in sight,eyebrows eyelashes,instant sun tanned face:lol:

Nature took care of things a few days later when a huge King snake set up shop on the slope,problem solved.

Never ever use gas:lol:
Rob

Gopher Blaster

bajaguy - 5-24-2012 at 09:18 AM

http://www.rodentblaster.com/

Cool videos.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGnW0KLFZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYTLm5bLfqw

Shades of Caddyshack!!!

mrfatboy - 5-24-2012 at 09:20 AM

I just trapped 3 gophers last week with the black box. I got it at home depot. I was using gas bombs and poison for 9 months prior trying to get them. I bought the black box and 2 days later no mas gophers! :)

http://www.victorpest.com/store/mole-and-gopher-control/0625

Brian L - 5-24-2012 at 09:36 AM

Black Box has beaten all other remedies I tried, I highly recommend it!

BajaBlanca - 5-24-2012 at 10:36 AM

WHO CAN BRING ME 3 BLACK BOXES URGENTLY ?????????????

In exchange for lunch or one night at our B&B or you name it.......

three boxes might be overkill, I would be happy with one or two, if you think it will do the job. I found the first hole last week. The second one yesterday. It'd be nice to get rid of them before they take over .... other nieghbors had mentioned having problems but we have never seen them here in the 6 years we've been here.

[Edited on 5-24-2012 by BajaBlanca]

DENNIS - 5-24-2012 at 10:47 AM

I think all agriculture districts will have a poison store for the farmers...insecticides, etc.
There's one here in Maneadero called "Quimical" and I buy these large tablets in an aluminum cigar tube called "Aluminum Phosphide." Toss a tablet into the hole, cover the opening with dirt and wet the soil over the tablet.
It's just like sending the little critter to the gas chamber.

mrfatboy - 5-24-2012 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I think all agriculture districts will have a poison store for the farmers...insecticides, etc.
There's one here in Maneadero called "Quimical" and I buy these large tablets in an aluminum cigar tube called "Aluminum Phosphide." Toss a tablet into the hole, cover the opening with dirt and wet the soil over the tablet.
It's just like sending the little critter to the gas chamber.

Yes, I hear you can get some very deadly stuff down in mexico that you can't get in California. :lol:

DENNIS - 5-24-2012 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
Yes, I hear you can get some very deadly stuff down in mexico that you can't get in California. :lol:

Paraquat is one of my personal faves. When I just walk outside and mention the word, weeds start to die. :biggrin:

Bajamatic - 5-24-2012 at 10:57 AM

I have crazy gophers in the desert. Traps are the only thing. The water theory only changed the small gopher holes into gopher highways. traps - instant gratification. I like the king snake idea though.

backninedan - 5-24-2012 at 11:26 AM

The movie "Caddy Shack" shows several fool proof ways for getting rid of gophers.

DianaT - 5-24-2012 at 11:32 AM

Blanca, while it is the Spanish name for mole, many people around here refer to gophers as topos.

We tried everything including smoke bombs and one person before suggested chewing gum. We decided that we then had happy gophers, kicked back floating on water while smoking and chewing gum! And because of the the dogs, poison was not on the list.

Traps---the only thing that has worked and they need to be set very carefully to take up the entire diameter of the hole or the gopher digs around it. Carrots and peanut butter seem to work. Biggest problem is that sometimes the gopher is trapped, but not dead when we pull the trap up.

Also the mother of a friend who takes care of our place while we are gone was visiting from San Ignacio. While our friend was watering, her mother enticed a gopher to pop up from his hole, and whacked him with a shovel!

At this time, there seems to be no gophers---- I guess they decided to move south. :biggrin:

DENNIS - 5-24-2012 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
While our friend was watering, her mother enticed a gopher to pop up from his hole, and whacked him with a shovel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0n8N98mpes

Cypress - 5-24-2012 at 12:24 PM

Gophers? Moles? Ground squirrels? It all depends upon which critter you're talking about? They might be one and the same? And they might sprout wings and fly!:biggrin: But there's a way to do away with any and all of 'em.:D

Lindalou - 5-24-2012 at 01:47 PM

I had a big 3 legged black cat who would lay in wait for hours at a gopher hole, he would kill them and leave them on the patio for me as a gift. They were as big as he was. Wish I still had that black cat!

Traps or cats- the only solution

thebajarunner - 5-24-2012 at 06:01 PM

Forget the poison (you might get more than you wished for) gas, propane bombs, water hoses, stink bombs, etc.

The only way you know you got 'em is to haul them out and look at their little yellow teeth. Otherwise, all the remedies in the world only serve to make you feel better- not assure you of success.

And, if you are buying (or delivering) traps, be sure to bring the box type (either the old wood ones- the greenies were the best- or the plastic Black Hole) and also bring some wire snapper type (we call them belly poppers)

Some critters just get wise to one type of trap, but alternating types will bring great success.

My yellow Lab catches a couple each year, but cats can be really effective.

But forget all that other "stuff" Confirmed kills are the only way to go.

Bob H - 5-24-2012 at 06:08 PM

Or, you could build a "squirrel launcher" .... it might also work on gophers too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo&feature=fvsr

Rescue a Feral Half-Starved Great Dane

Gypsy Jan - 5-24-2012 at 06:17 PM

No joke.

After we brought him home, he was getting regular meals from us, but dedicated his time in the garden to hunting and killing the gophers.

We no longer have a gopher problem and I was relieved to not resort to poisons.

shari - 5-24-2012 at 07:18 PM

blanca...we have topos too on occasion but I tell ya...the juicy fruit chewing gum...prechewed worked for us! Ahem....but I sure would like one of those black boxes if you get someone to bring em down for you...send em up on the CFE express!!!!

they WILL eat the roots of some plants...they are picky though...they love those daisy looking things Diane was talking about and can disappear full grown plants down the hole in a jiffy.

DianaT - 5-24-2012 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

they WILL eat the roots of some plants...they are picky though...they love those daisy looking things Diane was talking about and can disappear full grown plants down the hole in a jiffy.

If we can train them to only eat those plants, send them all this way!

Mula - 5-25-2012 at 06:04 AM

Topo caught by my neighbor in Lopez last fall.

Marc - 5-25-2012 at 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
We have them here at the farm...............the way we rid em is to put the water hose down the tunnel and leave the flow going til the water backs out of the tunnel opening.

That's how my dad did it. I spent my childhood helping him offing the critters.

dtutko1 - 5-25-2012 at 06:55 AM

As a seasonal Baja resident and Avid gardener I was getting frustrated with gofers eating my plants. Especially my papayas. I now plant using a cage made of small gage chicken wire. My raised beds for veges have have this wire as a base. Works so far.

mcfez - 5-25-2012 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

That's how my dad did it. I spent my childhood helping him offing the critters.

My Grandpa ......I learn it from him! Tried the traps and all that......but other animals are libel to get to the other devices/poisons first.

I have a article on this at my Blog
http://thenatomasfarm.blogspot.com/2012_02_05_archive.html
It's in the mid section

Osprey - 5-25-2012 at 07:45 AM

Long ago in Mexico there were men who traveled the country, from village to village, trapping Tuza's for a small fee. When the first Tuzero was seen walking into town with his traps the word would go out and the whole town would line up for his visits. Those who can, nowdays, grow herbs and small veggies in tables about a meter and a half off the ground to protect them from pests of all kinds.

BajaBlanca - 5-28-2012 at 09:09 AM

pardon my ignorance...but does flooding the tunnels drown them ? get the to move on ?

paul r - 5-28-2012 at 09:16 AM

...blanca, the "black box" works!... only thing is, they're only sold state side... good luck...

Udo - 5-28-2012 at 09:17 AM

This I got from a farmer in the Kansas area...drop a road flare in one of the holes. The gasses will kill them.
The other benefit is that you will be able to see where the other holes are by following the smoke trail.:light:

mrfatboy - 5-28-2012 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
pardon my ignorance...but does flooding the tunnels drown them ? get the to move on ?

I would think it all depend how big their tunnel system is. My gophers had quite the extensive underground network and always had a place to escape to. That's why I resorted to the black box.

DENNIS - 5-28-2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
I would think it all depend how big their tunnel system is. My gophers had quite the extensive underground network and always had a place to escape to. That's why I resorted to the black box.

Yeah...the little guys are the Viet Cong of the garden.

Mexitron - 5-28-2012 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichnLinda
I had a big 3 legged black cat who would lay in wait for hours at a gopher hole, he would kill them and leave them on the patio for me as a gift. They were as big as he was. Wish I still had that black cat!

Ditto on the cats---want to rent our cat "Mitchell"? :lol: Slightly feral cat from Marfa, TX---grew up eating all kinds of critters.

goldhuntress - 5-28-2012 at 11:03 AM

I wonder if water/flooding would work in sandy soil. I hate to say it but I think the traps are the best bet. Or the rodenator
http://www.rodenator.com/pests-controls-videos-rodenators

tiotomasbcs - 5-28-2012 at 11:59 AM

Blanca, the locals have told me they're good to eat!:o And I think they did eat them a generation or so back?! Taste like...chicken.:lol: Tio

DENNIS - 5-28-2012 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
---want to rent our cat "Mitchell"? :lol:

Mitchell?? Really?? :lol:

Taco de Baja - 5-28-2012 at 03:46 PM

Don't know if it will work for gophers, but when I started to have squirrel problems several years ago, I would bust up glass bottles and dig the shards into the soil at the openings to their holes. They did not like cutting their hands and noses on the glass fragment and left for other glass free areas.

Perhaps the same would work would for gophers if dug into the planter area?

The best solution for gophers on the ranch was the box traps. But, I think they are illegal to buy in California now-a-days as it's apparently a cruel and unusual death penalty for them.

Mexitron - 5-28-2012 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
---want to rent our cat "Mitchell"? :lol:

Mitchell?? Really?? :lol:

Mitchell

Illegal in California????

thebajarunner - 5-28-2012 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Don't know if it will work for gophers, but when I started to have squirrel problems several years ago, I would bust up glass bottles and dig the shards into the soil at the openings to their holes. They did not like cutting their hands and noses on the glass fragment and left for other glass free areas.

Perhaps the same would work would for gophers if dug into the planter area?

The best solution for gophers on the ranch was the box traps. But, I think they are illegal to buy in California now-a-days as it's apparently a cruel and unusual death penalty for them.

Well, that is certainly always a possibility in this state that protects mountain lions, even tho they eat people.
But, I bought a trap a couple months ago- it was for my cousin who lives up in Washington where, indeed, they are illegal.
Ah the sweet simpering sounds of sympathetic liberals, snuffling over the graves of mice and topos....

Russ - 5-28-2012 at 07:41 PM

Lots of info on gofers...http://icwdm.org/wildlife/pocketgopher.asp

goldhuntress - 5-28-2012 at 07:42 PM

Maybe there's an app for that, lol.

elskel - 5-28-2012 at 08:44 PM

I too had gopher problems, I use the "Black Hole". Google it, the trap works great.