BajaNomad

Fire at Posada Concepcion

TechsMex - 6-2-2012 at 09:20 AM

I got a call last night that there was a fire in progress at Posada and at least two of the houses were completely destroyed, that was about 9:45 so it probably started 9ish. I know that bomberos were called and arrived about an hour later so I think that the total numbers of homes gone is probably only 4 or 5. It appears to have been started by a faulty propane fridge. My good friend, who was there has lost everything. I will be driving up from Cabo on Monday. I will post with more news as I get some.
Peter

fire

captkw - 6-2-2012 at 09:23 AM

bad news !! but how can a brick house burn ??????

TechsMex - 6-2-2012 at 09:27 AM

Posada Concepcion is a small community of mostly palapa roofed homes tightly packed together on the beach on the Bahia Concepcion south of Mulege.

fire

captkw - 6-2-2012 at 09:31 AM

thanks I have been there many times and can understand the trailers burning and the roofs on houses but not the walls and floors. I also remember when the tripui fire !! that was BAD

chuckie - 6-2-2012 at 09:46 AM

Isnt that the second fire at Posada?

TechsMex - 6-2-2012 at 09:56 AM

The two places that I know went were of completely combustible material, I believe, pretty much center of the park. The last big fire there, which I was there for, looked to me like it would have spread thru the whole park if it hadn't been for the bomberos. That time I learnt that propane cylinders can actually explode.

roundtuit - 6-2-2012 at 10:01 AM

do you know the names of people that lost homes? we have a house at the north end of the park but is stucco, no palm.

roundtuit - 6-2-2012 at 10:04 AM

sorry our house is at south end. my wift doesnt know the difference.

roundtuit - 6-2-2012 at 10:09 AM

I was also there spraying water when the tanks went off

Cypress - 6-2-2012 at 10:41 AM

roundtuit, :o Bet that got your attention!

TechsMex - 6-2-2012 at 10:51 AM

My friend, who's house is where it started is P****o R*****z, I was contacted last night to get a message to his wife, T*****a.
His next door neighbour, who I don't believe I know, was there and lost his house too.
(Sorry, I have an issue with the internet and privacy)

TechsMex - 6-2-2012 at 10:58 AM

I have a house at Punta Suenos and at the time of the last fire, I had the only cell phone that could call town from that area on the Bay, so I called the Bomberos, last night my wife had to drive to Tiburon to call them, so the response was slower, still haven't heard anymore since last night.
I wish Carlos Slim would get us some better service out there, might save some lives someday.

roundtuit - 6-2-2012 at 11:01 AM

thanks, i know who that is and i understand not using names. we are trying to get hold of pics.

posada fire

cavilan - 6-2-2012 at 03:20 PM

There are a few pictures on the posada group board if you have access to it.

DianaT - 6-2-2012 at 03:38 PM

It happens so fast and it is so sad when everything is lost---always good, however when no one was injured.

A small wooden home here in BA burned down last week---everything in the house gone and also a vehicle lost. The water to the village was back on, but not much small hoses can do and I was told they brought in the water truck from the co-op, but it was of little help.

Besides no one being injured, fortunately the house was not extremely close to its neighbor so the fire did not spread and the police came by a few times during the next couple of days to water the ashes so there would not be any flare-ups.

Sad, very sad and as close as the homes in Posada are, it is easy to see how the fire spread.

comitan - 6-4-2012 at 01:07 PM

Bump Anymore news on this fire.

Terry28 - 6-5-2012 at 09:04 AM

Still looking for any updates or pictures. I thought most, if not all folks left there by June 1 when the power is cut off...

shari - 6-5-2012 at 08:49 PM

since there is no update...I just wanted to add this little tidbit about fires. As Diane mentioned, a fisherman's little house burned to the ground last week. Each and every coop member (except one:()has donated some of their salary and have covered the cost of the materials to build him a new house...pretty cool eh. Now THAT is cooperation at it's best....makes me proud to live in Asuncion.

shari

captkw - 6-5-2012 at 10:33 PM

yep,,thats cool !! one of the many great things about baja !!!

Trueheart - 6-6-2012 at 09:41 AM

Any new news? I've got friends who have a place there.

BajaBlanca - 6-6-2012 at 10:03 PM

loved that story Shari ! beautiful solidarity can help a disastrous situation a little bit better. Sorry for the fire in posada ....

Mula - 6-7-2012 at 05:13 AM

Three houses and 1 boat gone.

roundtuit - 6-7-2012 at 11:11 AM

AS FAR AS WE KNOW THREE PLACES BURNED TO THE GROUND. A COUPLE OF OTHERS WITH SLIGHT DAMAGE. ONE LOST HIS BOAT ALONG WITH HIS HOUSE. IM SURE WHEN ALL OF US GET BACK WE WILL HELP REBUILD AS THAT IS THE BAJA WAY.

roundtuit - 6-7-2012 at 12:21 PM

ONLY THREE PLACES BURNT TO THE GROUND. A COUPLE OF OTHERS HAD A LITTLE DAMAGE. ONE GUY LOST HIS BOAT ALONG WITH HIS HOUSE. IT WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PARK. IM SURE WHEN EVERYONE GETS BACK DOWN WE WILL TRY AND HELP REBUILD AS THAT IS THE BAJA WAY.

Pompano - 6-7-2012 at 12:35 PM

That is the third major fire the Posada community has had since the 70's. The first was devastating and I believe made the LA Times. Many houses and RVs burned. A malfunctioning gas hot water heater was determined to be the cause, as I recall.

Most all the houses back then had palapa-style frond roofs, which made the fire spread very rapidly.

David K - 6-7-2012 at 06:05 PM

Remember the Tripui Fire (Puerto Escondido) a few years ago?