BajaNomad

Desert Inn San Ignacio --- full circle

DianaT - 6-5-2012 at 10:04 PM

On the spur of the moment we decided to take a quick trip to San Ignacio --- wanted to spend at least one more night in one of our favorite towns before it becomes too hot! So we headed down the coast --- enjoyed our visit with Les in La Bocana (Blanca was working!) and then enjoyed a good visit with Chelo and David in Abreojos (Chelo's Hotel), and then ate a late lunch at Campo Rene before heading to San Ignacio. We definitely recommend Chelo's and Blanca's places. Chelo's has been closed because of a water system problem, but that is being fixed right now so they can reopen.

And just as a side note. If anyone has stress, high blood pressure, or just some everyday tension, a little time at Campo Rene will cure it! We just don't think there is anywhere else quite like Estero Coyote. You can just sit there and watch that great tide come in or out and the dolphins and the swimming coyotes. You can enjoy the quiet that is only interrupted by watching the movement of the birds coming from the island of small mangroves. We always have a difficult time leaving that place.

When we arrived in San Ignacio after 5 pm it was 95 degrees so we wanted A/C and chose to stay at the Desert Inn.

Much to our surprise, the Desert Inn is once again owned by the government --- just like when it was built in 1973 and was one of the El Presidente Hotels. This is very recent as we were there earlier this year. And we were a bit sad to see a couple people we liked no longer work there.

The people at the desk told us that the government also once again owns the Desert Inn in Guerrero Negro while Los Pinos bought the ones in Cataviña and San Quintin. We didn't ask about Ensenada and Loreto. It was just a bit strange to see things go full circle---a hotel built by the government that went through a few changes and owners is now back with the government.

Review---- 650 pesos, dog friendly, very nice and accomodating help, very clean, good A/C, and decent food. Beds are not as good as they are in the ones owned by Los Pinos, but OK.

A good short trip and good to get back to the cool weather around here.

[Edited on 6-6-2012 by DianaT]

Udo - 6-6-2012 at 08:02 AM

Thanks, Diana.

Abreojos is a beautiful place, but it doesn't have that "warm and fuzzy feel of Bahia Asunción.

If you ate at the Desert Inn in San Ignacio, I hope you had some of their chips.
They were the best corn tortillas from anywhere in Baja. They had a real 'corny" taste...i.e. the corn flavor was really pronounced.
I don't know if they make their own or get them from the tortilleria in town.

Desertbull - 6-6-2012 at 08:45 AM

Chelo's is awesome! Great food and wine too! I love that girl! Well in a Baja way!

DianaT - 6-6-2012 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Chelo's is awesome! Great food and wine too! I love that girl! Well in a Baja way!

We have heard that about Chelo from many people and about all the really great things she does for Abreojos, and we had communicated with her, so we were really happy to finally meet her in person. She and David felt like long time friends and we look forward to visiting again.

Udo, the chips at the Desert Inn maybe are a part of the change because the ones we ate tasted like they came from a Doritos bag --- but the salsa was good. :biggrin: And that town does have a great tortilleria.

I forgot to mention that at Campo Rene a friend and client of Blanca's joined us for lunch. He is a fly fisherman and he said he catches quite a variety of fish in the lagoons because they have stopped netting in the lagoons????

[Edited on 6-6-2012 by DianaT]

rts551 - 6-6-2012 at 03:40 PM

What makes a town have a warm and fuzzy feel?

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Thanks, Diana.

Abreojos is a beautiful place, but it doesn't have that "warm and fuzzy feel of Bahia Asunción.

If you ate at the Desert Inn in San Ignacio, I hope you had some of their chips.
They were the best corn tortillas from anywhere in Baja. They had a real 'corny" taste...i.e. the corn flavor was really pronounced.
I don't know if they make their own or get them from the tortilleria in town.

DianaT - 6-6-2012 at 04:49 PM

rts551

We missed you! That won't happen next time---sent you a message.

ElCap - 6-6-2012 at 09:27 PM

The San Ignacio Desert Inn had a fantastic chef at their restaurant a few months ago - I wonder if he is still there? And 650 pesos (especially at today's exchange rate of 14p/$ = $46) is a better deal than it has been there in years.

BajaBlanca - 6-6-2012 at 09:39 PM

I love the feel of punta abreojos ... I think that getting a warm and fuzzy feel has to do with meeting people. All the Americans I have met there are really nice and the Mexicans (being that they are all related to la bocanans are really nice too:spingrin:

Diana, I agree about campo rene ... it is a special place to just chill.

and yes, the fisherman have stopped netting the lagoon and the tendency is for the fish to proliferate more and more. Bruce is here for a month and fishes almost all day long every single day. Talk about passion !

DianaT - 6-7-2012 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElCap
The San Ignacio Desert Inn had a fantastic chef at their restaurant a few months ago - I wonder if he is still there? And 650 pesos (especially at today's exchange rate of 14p/$ = $46) is a better deal than it has been there in years.

I think they changed all of the staff--- that is what I heard, but I am not sure. I will say that the food was not as good as it was in February this year --- it was not bad, but not as good. And we agree, 650 pesos is a good deal for such a nice place.

Blanca, we enjoyed meeting Les, and we are sorry we missed you-- next time.

Mulegena - 6-7-2012 at 08:03 AM

$650Pesos per person or per room?

Seriously, I haven't stayed there before because the listed prices were all more than $1000P per room... or am I missing something?

rts551 - 6-7-2012 at 01:13 PM

ahhhh no wind today... and warm but not Fuzzy.

Next time Diane.

Fishing has gone nuts in the Etero

DianaT - 6-7-2012 at 03:58 PM

Mulegena, the 650 pesos is for the room with two people. There would be an extra charge for more than two people. No extra charge for the dogs.

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
ahhhh no wind today... and warm but not Fuzzy.

Next time Diane.

Fishing has gone nuts in the Etero

Well the wind is now blowing here, it is turning cold and with the blowing sand, it is definitely Fuzzy. :P

No more netting in the esteros is a good thing!

Bajahowodd - 6-10-2012 at 03:43 PM

The Desert Inn property in Loreto makes me really wonder. If it is once again government owned.... well..

Given that the Villa Group built there newest time share monster way South of town at Ensenada Blanca, it just seems to me that if the Desert Inn property is for sale, it ought to be snapped-up. It has a very long expanse of beachfront, which is almost non-existent in Loreto, given that much of the beachfront is the malecon.

The buildings are old and tired. But gee, location has to count for something. Either a major renovation or a re-build.

Reservations for Desert Inn San Ignacio

Posada-BushPilot - 9-20-2012 at 09:15 PM

We have been trying to book rooms without success. No response to several emails and the phone # we have has been disconnected.

Anyone know what the deal is?

mtgoat666 - 9-21-2012 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Posada-BushPilot
We have been trying to book rooms without success. No response to several emails and the phone # we have has been disconnected.

Anyone know what the deal is?

My guess is based on Diane's news that the government now runs it.

dk: i suspect that posada-bush is trying to reach hotel by dialing and emailing the former owner's obsolete/disconnected tele and email. dk: you are mr baja info almanac; instead of political opinion, why don't you just post the new reservation tele number?

[Edited on 9-21-2012 by BajaNomad]