BajaNomad

Fin Whales feeding in Bahia Asuncion

shari - 6-7-2012 at 09:02 AM

A few days ago I was surprised to see large spouts from the Beach House deck. the next day, our guests Dave and Elliot went fishing with Juan and did some whale watching as well.
They really enjoyed fishing with Juan and got easy limits of nice calico, sand bass and sheepshead...and took these photos of what I suspect are fin whales.

Last year these whales stayed around the island for a couple months feeding on langostina and sardines and seem to be sticking around now as well! I hope to get out to ID them...there were 5 whales in the pod and they are enormous!

woody with a view - 6-7-2012 at 09:06 AM

cool. we saw similar whales in Bahia de LA.

wsdunc - 6-8-2012 at 09:30 AM

Saw several (feeding on squid?) offshore of Punta Chivato. Made my 15ft boat seem very very small

Mulegena - 6-8-2012 at 10:57 AM

Oh. So. Cool!!!

What gorgeous creatures and so close!
You are so fortunate and thanks big-time for sharing.

Frank - 6-9-2012 at 05:09 PM

Hey Shari, how can you tell the difference between a Fin whale and a Blue whale?

Udo - 6-9-2012 at 06:34 PM

The fin whale has a fin on top. The Blue whales have nothing but skin on top.

shari - 6-10-2012 at 07:32 AM

it's a challenge to identify large baleen whales as they are very similar...blue whales do have a fin and can easily be mistaken for a fin whale except that they are humongeous...but a young blue whale sure looks like a fin whale...the blue whale fin is set back more towards the tail though. We identify whales from a distance by the spout, and closer up by the size,shape and placement of the fin...or no fin in the case of gray whales.

These whales had me stumped as the fin just looked odd and they were more elusive ..not like other fin whales I have seen...plus I had never seen fin whales around here...last year was the first time I'd seen these large whales here...i thought they might be sei whales but upon studying photos of them and fin whales, I think they are fin whales...big suckers though and quite evasive.

Rhea - 6-10-2012 at 01:47 PM

Shari,
Thanks for the photos. I am very disappointed that they didn't show up while we were there.... Goshhhhhh we were 1 week too late. So sad

shari - 6-10-2012 at 01:48 PM

Rhea...well, it gives you something to look forward to for next time!!!