BajaNomad

import tax

mulege marv - 10-12-2004 at 06:36 AM

we are planning to move our belongings to our mexican home soon. not alot of furniture, we plan on buying that there, but just a few things we wont part with. will have to pay import tax ?

David K - 10-12-2004 at 07:17 AM

The quick answer is no... I presume you have an FM-3 visa if you have a Baja home and will be more than a tourist on vacation. The FM-3 allows a one time move a personal belongings without paying a tax on them.

This is from reading posts here, not personal info. I hope those with FM-3 visas will confirm or provide additional details...

David is correct

jrbaja - 10-12-2004 at 09:12 AM

With your FM3, you are entitled to bring in one households worth of stuff.
If you come down often, I suggest you bring a little at a time. When you show them your FM3, it opens up a whole new world and you will be treated with respect because you have become legal.
The only things they frown on are new electronics like computers and tvs so we take them out of the boxes before bringing them down.

Dave - 10-12-2004 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
With your FM3, you are entitled to bring in one households worth of stuff.
If you come down often, I suggest you bring a little at a time.

Mexico has a vehicle for moving household items. It is called a "Menaje de Casa". You are allowed a ONE time move of all items. Items must be inventoried precisely. Info can be obtained at the consulate in your area. There is supposedly a time limit of six months from when you obtain your FM3.

Don Alley - 10-12-2004 at 06:20 PM

I drove through in August with a pickup load of furniture-a futon, table, china cabinet, etc. I used the "declare" line at Tijuana. The border guy asked what I had. Furniture. Any of it new? No? OK, push the button.

I'll try again in a couple of weeks. No furniture this time, but books, dishes, fishing gear and a 4 year old Mac.

Don