BajaNomad

DENNIS is in the hospital.

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

lizard lips - 7-13-2012 at 06:55 AM

Skipjack, before this goes any further she is NOT going to Hawaii or anywhere else with Dennis's credit cards.

BajaBlanca - 7-13-2012 at 07:15 AM

well hello Dennis... hope you are recovering well, I haven't been able to read this thread for a while - could someone re post the post with the video of Dennis and his dog ? I'd like to see that.

I use DRAGON NATURALLY SPEAKING for my translations and I guess I am writing a bit late since the program has already been bought but let me just say that it is really hard to use at first. There is a long learning curve since you must pronounce the words very clearly for dragon to understand. So, maybe you say GO and it writes GLOW. To correct that is a nightmare.

That being said, once mastered, Dennis, the program is amazing and wonderful. You can dictate as fast as you want and DRAGON simply types away ! All my translations are done in record time and my clients are blown away.

woody with a view - 7-13-2012 at 07:19 AM

Tell Dennis we said Hi!

DianaT - 7-13-2012 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
The only thing he did say about Janene that was negative was that the medical staff at both facilities thought she was to demanding and she didn't hold back when she thought he was not getting the proper treatment.

hospitals treat patients like widgets, especially patients that stay past 3 days. the reality is that patients need an advocate to fight against hospital factory-treatment. good for janene for yelling and screaming. if the advocate is timid and mute the hospital machine will run over the patient.

:yes:

Dennis, I hope you can find the right help that will get you home as soon as possible. Home is often the best place to heal especially with Lulu around. Dogs are great medicine and motivation.

But you will need a rough and tough physical therapist to keep you progressing, one who will push you even when you don't want to be pushed!

EnsenadaDr - 7-13-2012 at 07:36 AM

I am very concerned about Dennis returning home. The cost of care will be astronomical. I had figured there was no choice in the matter before, but then I found out the VA could care for him long term with no expense to him. I am concerned about people that have been out of the loop of medical care for over 30 years taking over. Modifications need to be made to his home etc. Since the VA (not the VA home in Chula Vista) was going to fund all his costs, I was hoping for a gradual transition, maybe the earliest being in October, maybe weekend visits to see how he could handle being home. But I am no longer in the loop. Yes, I was very vocal about this. But ultimately, as every good health professional knows, it is the decision of the patient and his right to make his own decisions.

[Edited on 7-13-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

Skipjack Joe - 7-13-2012 at 07:47 AM

On the other hand, staying at medical facilities too long can break a man's spirit.

EnsenadaDr - 7-13-2012 at 07:49 AM

He is very disabled and very weak. Like I said Skipjack, I was hoping for a gradual transition. He needs 24 hour a day care initially. He needs a guard rail around his deck. He needs someone to cook, clean and care for his personal needs. So what do you suggest?

EnsenadaDr - 7-13-2012 at 07:54 AM

There is a facility in the area. From what I understand the person taking over Dennis' care will be consulting with the head of that facility. The person that does the night shift there eats free at Baja Mama's and never bathes. From what I understand, she doesn't have credentials either. I had access to the best nurses and therapists in Ensenada, but I was against bringing him home so soon. Anyway, its out of my hands, so I hope Dennis will adjust well when he comes home in a few weeks.

mcfez - 7-13-2012 at 08:04 AM

The meals they serve.......those can break a man's spirit too :-)

Hey DENNIS.........hang in there wherever you may be.....all BN's are hooting and tooting for ya!

McFez is willing to go to you, for any service/aid for two weeks if and when you should need it. I am positive there are others here that will be there for you too.

Hurry up and get home Amigo.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
On the other hand, staying at medical facilities too long can break a man's spirit.

[Edited on 7-13-2012 by mcfez]

Skipjack Joe - 7-13-2012 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
He is very disabled and very weak. Like I said Skipjack, I was hoping for a gradual transition. He needs 24 hour a day care initially. He needs a guard rail around his deck. He needs someone to cook, clean and care for his personal needs. So what do you suggest?

Putting on an apron?

Just kidding. I know you're pretty sensitive.

P.S. You've said before that it's out of your hands and you were through. I'm pretty sure you'll be back to help.

[Edited on 7-13-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

Putting on an apron...

EnsenadaDr - 7-13-2012 at 08:21 AM

What's this about me being sensitive? After all the insults I have received on this Board, if I was that sensitive I would have never posted again. And I am not above a good joke...yes putting on an apron. Yes, visions of McFez dressing up with an apron for two weeks, I am beginning to like the idea. Seriously though, its going to be a tough road for the person coordinating care depending solely on Punta Banda contacts to put on those aprons.
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

Putting on an apron?

Just kidding. I know you're pretty sensitive.

goldhuntress - 7-13-2012 at 08:58 AM

I helped take care of my Mom after a stroke and it is a full time job for 3 people, at least. It's around the clock and very tiring. Believe it or not even an 85 lb. woman can feel heavy at times. Dennis, I know you aren't as bad as my Mom was, she had lots of other issues too, but don't underestimate the difficulties of care-giving at home.
Dennis, the difference is we brought my Mom home so she could die there. You are coming home to live life so don't cut yourself short. Take advantage of the experts you have now, your level of dependence and quality of your life will be much better for it. Good luck, work hard! We all miss your posts, it really isn't the same without you.

Cypress - 7-13-2012 at 11:42 AM

And DENNIS is gonna rip us all a new one as soon as he gets his hands on a key board.:biggrin:

prorader - 7-13-2012 at 11:44 AM

You know this is getting a little sick. I am new to the area in fact haven't moved yet. I met Dennis on another board and we butted heads from the beginning. That being said he is a human being and I am sorry for what happend. I have been following this post from the beginning and the DR has done a wonderful job working through 2 countries getting this man the help he needed. I don't know the past of anyone here and I am sure we all have a few things in the closet. The topic is Dennis not what some one did before in fact one of the only ones that helped him. Off topic my A%%, in fact from someone with such a higher status as a super nomad or what ever.

[Edited on 7-13-2012 by prorader]

DENNIS appears to be reading his posts...

EnsenadaDr - 7-13-2012 at 11:20 PM

I noticed Dennis signed in today around 2 pm, so he is obviously reading the posts.

[Edited on 7-14-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

noserider - 7-20-2012 at 08:59 AM

Ensenada Dr, You have taken a a lot of B.S. from some on this forum,in My humble opinion You have done more than any one to share qualified opinions with things that are the helpful, and have the expertise to know how to advise properly,This is one of those threads that makes Me want to be a part of this forum, You are going out of Your way to help ,and others need to understand, and keep comments positve in nature, I have been too busy with My daliy life and current projects here in Bonita C.A lately to get involved , or to visit My casa in San Jacinto, I miss Baja and I think that is going to the best cure for Dennis, when He is able to return to His place there , please continue with Your advise, and I will look forward to helping when possible, I am currently helping with My good friend who is an older genteman in a similar situation here in Bonita and am appalled at the way way His family is dealing with His situation, so I am getting involved at the risk of peeing them off, and it makes Me feel like a better Person for doing so, keep it up ,get well Dennis.

EnsenadaDr - 7-20-2012 at 10:36 AM

As I have mentioned I am out of the loop. This is why. In my professional opinion for what it is worth, I do not believe Dennis should return home so soon. We had a falling out about this, so others who believe that he can return home are agreeing to take over the responsibility. I helped him as much as I could. He will need to go to Dr.'s appointments in the US, etc. I wanted him to wait till he was more stable. But the patient always has the right to refuse. I hope it all works out for him. I was hoping that he would try a weekend here and there, and get adjusted first before diving back into Mexico.

DavidE - 7-20-2012 at 10:51 AM

Ensenada Dr.,
I had people begging me to return to the USA. I had to arrange a bucket, then a chair to arise high enough out of bed to stand at a walker. Sometimes the damndest obstacles can be overcome by sheer unmitigated hard-headedness. I couldn't cut meat with one hand so I pushed a nail into a potato, then drove the nail through a piece of plywood, turned if over, washed it down with a chlorine bleach solution and found I needed a second nail to keep the hunk of meat (potato, whatever) from swiveling. I couldn't open bottle caps so I had a wooden "V" wedge made and jammed the bottle into the wedge to open the cap one handed. Piece of the roughest garnet paper glued to the bottom of the plywood. I needed good solid plastic chairs. In the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, patio, so I could hobble from walker to chair. Ever use a walker with one hand?

Cypress - 7-20-2012 at 12:20 PM

DavidE, But for the grace of God, we 're all one heartbeat away from ..........

EnsenadaDr - 7-20-2012 at 12:22 PM

I just received a call from Kaiser wanting to give me report on Dennis. Evidently he is going home today, and is going to stay at Scott Astorga's place at night. I told them I am not involved in his care. Heck, I don't even have keys to his house. I told them Pam was handling the situation, but evidently they didn't know that. Dennis is capable of telling them Pam's number, etc. so I told them to ask him.

DavidE - 7-20-2012 at 01:43 PM

Cypress, there are a lot of perfectly healthy people with lots of money living north of the border who are less fortunate than I. I am, for a fact, not tortured with the fear of "
I Have More To Lose".

Cypress - 7-20-2012 at 01:51 PM

DavidE, :?: There are lots of people living north/south/east/west less fortunate than me and more fortunate than me.:yes:Good point!:yes:

Skipjack Joe - 7-20-2012 at 02:25 PM

Ensenadadr,

Nothing is set in stone. Dennis can go home and if he finds it to be too much to deal with, he can come back and do rehab in the states (NOB as nomads call it).

It seems to me that it's not a matter of right or wrong. It's a matter of try it and see.

EnsenadaDr - 7-20-2012 at 03:17 PM

You are right Skipjack, absolutely!!! It's always the patient's decision in the end.

[Edited on 7-20-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

tripledigitken - 7-20-2012 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Cypress, there are a lot of perfectly healthy people with lots of money living north of the border who are less fortunate than I. I am, for a fact, not tortured with the fear of "
I Have More To Lose".

reminds me of a Dylan song................

"Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people
They’re drinkin’, thinkin’ that they got it made
Exchanging all kinds of precious gifts and things
But you’d better lift your diamond ring, you’d better pawn it babe
You used to be so amused
At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
Go to him now, he calls you, you can’t refuse
When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose
You’re invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?"

prorader - 7-20-2012 at 03:35 PM

EnsenadaDr, walk away, you from what I have read have done everthing you could possible do. There is a lot that I could say, as a teenager I was a major player in taking care of a stroke victim. It is something I hope to never have to do again. Dennis your mind is strong, your body isn't, use your mind to think about all of the things that will go wrong with out 24 hour care. Your choice, good luck

EnsenadaDr - 7-20-2012 at 03:53 PM

Thanks Prorader. I don't have a choice in the matter. I cannot provide 24 hour care, I am still working in my clinic daily and will be leaving for a month in mid-August. So I cannot do any more.

Mula - 7-20-2012 at 03:56 PM

I agree with prorade 100 %.

I took care of my mother - a stroke victim - for 25 years.

It is a grueling task. For the victim and the care giver.

You did the best, EnsenadaDr. Get on with your life now.

willardguy - 7-20-2012 at 04:00 PM

you know whats better than a full time care giver?

two!

DavidE - 7-20-2012 at 04:05 PM

ˇAIE CHIHUAHUA!

ˇPrimeros auxilios, la ayuda anterior, sin embargo los últimos ritos!

wessongroup - 7-20-2012 at 04:21 PM

It is a hard one to deal with and accept ... that being, losing one's ability to "move" freely about ... just is ...

Best of luck ... :):)

Wiley

prorader - 7-20-2012 at 05:28 PM

DR continue to do what you do, take the training that you need, if I need help I would call you in a minute. We give and Give and people take and take and when it is over you are who you are, if the takers quit taking, you are still U and I think in your case that is a good think. I would as much as say you where Dennis's Angel, we all should be so lucky. I will be moving there 30 July in PB would love to buy you a drink. Good job Doc

EnsenadaDr - 7-20-2012 at 06:30 PM

Thanks Prorader, I will take you up on the offer. Let me know when you get down here :yes:

Udo - 7-20-2012 at 06:49 PM

Thanks for the photos, willardguy. I notice that the nurse's uniforms have a quick-release front zipper.

willardguy - 7-20-2012 at 06:52 PM

good eye Udo!:yes:

prorader - 7-20-2012 at 07:05 PM

What a way to end a post

Bob H - 7-22-2012 at 11:49 AM

maybe DENNIS can use this program to get back online...

DRAGON

http://shop.nuance.com/store/nuanceus/html/pbpage.dragon-lan...

BajaBlanca - 7-22-2012 at 03:02 PM

hey Dennis ! we wish you the fastest most remarkable recovery ever !

EnsenadaDr - 7-22-2012 at 03:24 PM

He already posted today. He seems to be doing OK. I just spoke to him.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6