BajaNomad

Help needed at Punta Cono Photos added

Pages:  1    3    5

coconaco - 10-14-2012 at 09:53 AM

Did they have a destination or are they on a journey?

"Been here so long I've started to calling it home"
St. Stephen

Coming up on three months. That would be a long time to camp out on a beach.

My exact thoughts a month ago

thebajarunner - 10-14-2012 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
These people are "professional" freeloaders. They are NOT trying to repair boat and sail on. This is home until people stop bringing them stuff. Only then will they move and do the same thing again somewhere else.

Wow!! that would suck if true. There was some good "nomad" peeps that went out of there way to help these folks..what a shame.

Time to back off and let them sort it out.
Go back some pages and re-read my allegory about the guy who was waiting for God to save him.
Let's all hum a little traveling music and get on to the next topic.

cono people

timmurphy - 10-14-2012 at 04:02 PM

We were there 5 days. Their boat was moored in the middle of the bay. Three days plus, no one left ship. What do they do out there? What do the kids do? Different camps of the local fishermen were constantly stopping and giving them food. I think even they are getting tired of them. They came to shore once while we were there, went back to their camp and burned a small portion of their garbage on the beach....leaving tin cans and plastic and other crud smoldering. The place that I love so much has lots of trash strewn about and I doubt they are going to pack it onto their boat....if they ever leave.
We never saw them try to gather food from the wild. I think they are still just begging from the locals and other enablers.
They said to one us that they are starving for food.
So the boat floats and supposedly he is still making repairs.
I dont know if they have a destination or a plan. But it is really stupid to just sit there and do nothing.
I dont believe they are capable of surviving on the open ocean.
If they were in the U.S. a child protection agency would have intervened by now.
I think Surfer Jim said it right.
I try to see the best in people but this is just not right!
They just need to go home...if they have a home.
Right now they are floating vagabundos. If they stay on the ocean or even at Cono, I believe it will not be a good outcome.
Nothing personal here. Just keen observation from when this post started to seeing it live and in living color.
If one adult or an adult couple want to live on the edge, begging for existance, so be it. The three children with them is just wrong!!

desertcpl - 10-14-2012 at 04:52 PM

Tim

that was my point that I think I made 2 times now about the kids
no its not right at all

shari - 10-15-2012 at 05:55 AM

this new storm Paul may rock their boat a bit...right now the horizon is full of lights from big boats running from the storm...they most likely wont be able to remain anchored there for this swell and wind event...it will be interesting to see where they go...back on the hard?

pappy - 10-15-2012 at 09:29 AM

maybe paul will give them enough of a scare to send them back to where they came from.

luv2fish - 10-15-2012 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
maybe paul will give them enough of a scare to send them back to where they came from.

Or better yet, how bout they end up in somebody's living room floor for another 3 months. I feel bad for the innocent souls on board of that ship / cluster@#$%.

gnukid - 10-15-2012 at 09:55 AM

Aren't Baja beaches and moorings full of freeloading littering hippies who live off the kindness of others?

luv2fish - 10-15-2012 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Aren't Baja beaches and moorings full of freeloading littering hippies who live off the kindness of others?

Sounds like California's welfare system.......

motoged - 10-15-2012 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
Quote:

Nomads,
It wasn't that long ago some of you were tripping over yourselves with your communal efforts of assistance :saint:

Now the hand offered is a backhand....:?:

gnukid - 10-15-2012 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Quote:

Nomads,
It wasn't that long ago some of you were tripping over yourselves with your communal efforts of assistance :saint:

Now the hand offered is a backhand....:?:

Absurd, There is nothing wrong with kindness nor tough love, they tend to go hand in hand.

Mula - 10-15-2012 at 12:04 PM

Maybe it's time to Immigration or who ever to stop by and check their papers?????

motoged - 10-15-2012 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Absurd, There is nothing wrong with kindness nor tough love, they tend to go hand in hand. [/quote

I agree with your comment....and was initially concerned about the "domestic violence" concerns reported earlier in the thread...despite some folks minimizing that issue.

I guess my comment is more a reflection on how some folks can "dog pile" on an issue or people without full info being available....and I can be one of those at times....:saint:

mtgoat666 - 10-15-2012 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by timmurphy
We were there 5 days. Their boat was moored in the middle of the bay. Three days plus, no one left ship. What do they do out there? What do the kids do? Different camps of the local fishermen were constantly stopping and giving them food. I think even they are getting tired of them. They came to shore once while we were there, went back to their camp and burned a small portion of their garbage on the beach....leaving tin cans and plastic and other crud smoldering. The place that I love so much has lots of trash strewn about and I doubt they are going to pack it onto their boat....if they ever leave.
We never saw them try to gather food from the wild. I think they are still just begging from the locals and other enablers.
They said to one us that they are starving for food.
So the boat floats and supposedly he is still making repairs.
I dont know if they have a destination or a plan. But it is really stupid to just sit there and do nothing.
I dont believe they are capable of surviving on the open ocean.
If they were in the U.S. a child protection agency would have intervened by now.
I think Surfer Jim said it right.
I try to see the best in people but this is just not right!
They just need to go home...if they have a home.
Right now they are floating vagabundos. If they stay on the ocean or even at Cono, I believe it will not be a good outcome.
Nothing personal here. Just keen observation from when this post started to seeing it live and in living color.
If one adult or an adult couple want to live on the edge, begging for existance, so be it. The three children with them is just wrong!!

you formed an opinion and indictment w/o even talking to them. true nomad spirit! peace, love, fish tacos and opinions! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

timmurphy - 10-15-2012 at 02:48 PM

how could we talk to them when they were staying on their boat in the middle of the bay? However,one of us paddled out on a SUP to greet them and assess the situation. Everyone is entitled to his opinion.Is that not what goes on here? Anyways...people asked what was up and I responded cuz we were just there.Anyone who thinks they are smart or doing the right thing is a kook just like them.Now...thats just my opinion. Nuf said.

Skipjack Joe - 10-15-2012 at 03:42 PM

Tim, they've just spent 3 months living off the fat of the land while you and I have been toiling at the office. Who is smarter?

LancairDriver - 10-15-2012 at 04:57 PM

If they could return to California their apparent circumstances would qualify them for every free program there is. They would be far better off, particularly the children. There must be some compelling reason not to do this. Like everyone else this is just speculation on my part.

Mula - 10-15-2012 at 05:14 PM

The guy's apparent legal problems.

Hook - 10-16-2012 at 07:38 AM

"Time to back off and let them sort it out.
Go back some pages and re-read my allegory about the guy who was waiting for God to save him."

That wasnt a very happy ending, IMO. And I dont recall kids being in the boat in your allegory.

The father DOES seem to be exhibiting the same stubbornness as the guy in your allegory, though. His behavior makes little sense, now that the boat is afloat.

Well, let's see what a CAT 1 hurricane or a TS adds to this story...............

Hook - 10-16-2012 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
you formed an opinion and indictment w/o even talking to them. true nomad spirit! peace, love, fish tacos and opinions! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This may be the most hyperbolic example of hypocrisy I have ever seen on the Nomads board. Over 5500 posts and virtually ALL of them, opinionated sniping (from NOB) at people you have never met in situations you have never been.

But thanks for the morning chuckle, goat.......................:lol:

pappy - 10-16-2012 at 10:11 AM

wonder what will happen if a military patrol cruises by and aproaches them?

Mexitron - 10-16-2012 at 12:03 PM

Don't think I've ever seen a Navy patrol there...La BARCA might come through looking for poachers, but from what I could tell they hadn't been thru there in a long time. Pero, quien sabe?

shari - 10-17-2012 at 07:38 AM

thank you tim for your update...I have been watching for them and wondering where they got to....nowhere. Although the next report will be interesting because they couldnt have stayed anchored in this blow...I bet the kids were kinda scared.

LancairDriver - 10-17-2012 at 10:39 AM

Hope for the kids sake they survive the storm. If they do and make it back to the border there will probably be book and TV deals with maybe a reality show to boot.

shari - 10-17-2012 at 10:51 AM

where they are will be a nightmare in a couple hours....I sure hope they are at the fishermen's shack.

larryC - 10-18-2012 at 09:45 AM

I hope they didn't wait too long to get the heck out of there. Other than inside of of Scammons lagoon I can't think of a sheltered anchorage along that part of the coast. Hope they found something.
Larry

Sunman - 10-18-2012 at 01:36 PM

I seriously doubt this boded well for them. Hoping for a report.

BajaNomad - 10-19-2012 at 11:04 AM

From my inbox:

------
We here at the Consulate were concerned about the stranded family near Punta Cono because the storm passed right by them. I’ve checked the thread on BajaNomad.com, but didn’t see any posts saying people had had recent contact with them. By any chance, would you mind posting a message asking the family to contact the Consulate and/or if any Nomads are in the area and could make contact with them on behalf of the Consulate?

Anyone is welcome to contact me via email at acstijuana@state.gov or via phone at 664-977-2000 ext. 2410.

I’d appreciate any help you and your Nomads could lend.

Best,

Anson McLellan

American Citizen Services / Atención a Ciudadanos Americanos
United States Consulate General Tijuana
(52)664-977-2000
------

David K - 10-19-2012 at 11:09 AM

Wow, even the U.S. Consulate knows where to find the latest news on Baja!

LaTijereta - 10-19-2012 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman

Report on Bloody Decks...

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-reports...

magbayoutfitter
Captain

Name: bob
Vessel: 26 twin vee
Job:sportfishing

Just got a report of a sailboat that went aground in Santa Maria with some
injuries. We were asked by the Armada of Mexico to see if we can find the
boat. They are looking for it. Anyone with any knowledge of the accident
pease contact me. Thanks bob 760 908 2252 magbayoutfitters@sbcglobal.net

rts551 - 10-19-2012 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wow, even the U.S. Consulate knows where to find the latest news on Baja!

I suspect that they flooded the internet with the request. At least they would be smart to. Fishing and sailing forums would be excellent places to ask.

BillP - 10-19-2012 at 11:37 AM

Isn't it about a 3 day sail from Cono to Santa Maria?

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman

Report on Bloody Decks...

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-reports...

magbayoutfitter
Captain

Name: bob
Vessel: 26 twin vee
Job:sportfishing

Just got a report of a sailboat that went aground in Santa Maria with some
injuries. We were asked by the Armada of Mexico to see if we can find the
boat. They are looking for it. Anyone with any knowledge of the accident
pease contact me. Thanks bob 760 908 2252 magbayoutfitters@sbcglobal.net

pappy - 10-19-2012 at 01:48 PM

i dunno seems kinda tough to sail into an uncoming storm like paul in the boat they have. hopefully they stayed put and sough out some shelter.

since first hearing of this and seeing the pics i always thought if they made it out of cono and headed south, the abreojos reefs might be their next problem. if they made it past that i figured mag bay would be their next area of issue.

Curt63 - 10-19-2012 at 02:17 PM

If its the Santa Maria just south of San Quintin, its a perfect place.

Sandy bottom and its the closest larger town with lots of people to "lend a hand".

The Santa Rosallilita folks probably told the GN locals what was going on.

Brilliant

I hope those kids are OK. Im guessing they've already seen a lot.

BillP - 10-19-2012 at 02:20 PM

I believe they were speaking of Mag Bay.

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
If its the Santa Maria just south of San Quintin, its a perfect place.

Sandy bottom and its the closest larger town with lots of people to "lend a hand".

The Santa Rosallilita folks probably told the GN locals what was going on.

Brilliant

I hope those kids are OK. Im guessing they've already seen a lot.

David K - 10-19-2012 at 02:27 PM

Just like 'Agua Caliente', there's a bunch of Santa Marías in Baja!

motoged - 10-19-2012 at 03:34 PM

Lotsa talk about this family but no clear info yet.

Is anybody planning on going out there to check on the situation?

surfer jim - 10-19-2012 at 05:03 PM

If they did indeed leave CONO it won't matter which Santa Maria they have arrived at. They will just set up a new "freeloader" camp and do it all over again.:O

Watch what happens.....

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2012 at 11:21 PM

They didn't really set up a freeloader camp at Cono. They were shipwrecked there. It was unplanned.

Baja Bucko - 10-20-2012 at 07:22 PM

Any body hear anything at all abt these guys??? I am sure grandma wherever she lives is beside herself if she hasn't heard from the daughter.

I can tell ya that when anyone has a update

captkw - 10-20-2012 at 07:28 PM

it will get posted !! I think all of us are waiting on this and a lot stuff is in cards right now !! vios con dios me ehas

[Edited on 10-21-2012 by captkw]

luv2fish - 10-20-2012 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
They didn't really set up a freeloader camp at Cono. They were shipwrecked there. It was unplanned.

Looks like they were having a real hard time......

tequila at cono.jpg - 34kB

larryC - 10-21-2012 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
it will get posted !! I think all of us are waiting on this and a lot stuff is in cards right now !! vios con dias me ehas

Capt, you are hilarious. Do you hire out for parties?

LARRY WITH A "C"

captkw - 10-21-2012 at 08:44 AM

Hola,yes,,but I'm booked out till after new years....I'll have my agent get touch with yours...they will do lunch at MOMA'S..LOL dios X dias

[Edited on 10-21-2012 by captkw]

Mula - 10-23-2012 at 05:46 AM

Bump - just in case someone passes by and can update us. . . . .

pappy - 10-23-2012 at 07:58 AM

yeah. just wondering if anybody found out more about the wreck at santa maria-ie, was it the cono crew or somebody else???

Mexitron - 10-23-2012 at 03:38 PM

What wreck in Santa Maria did you hear about Matt?

Mexitron - 10-23-2012 at 03:43 PM

BTW---I plan to be shipwrecked at Bahia Asuncion---please send money for a lot, 20 yds sand, 1000 block, a pallet of 2x4s, 50 bags cement, windows, roofing, pipe, wire, stove, fridge, and several months of food and beer. :lol:

BillP - 10-23-2012 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
What wreck in Santa Maria did you hear about Matt?
It was originally posted on BD by Mag Bay Outfitters that a sailboat went aground with injuries during Paul, wasn't confirmed, haven't seen anymore info since.

my thoughts exactly

thebajarunner - 10-23-2012 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
BTW---I plan to be shipwrecked at Bahia Asuncion---please send money for a lot, 20 yds sand, 1000 block, a pallet of 2x4s, 50 bags cement, windows, roofing, pipe, wire, stove, fridge, and several months of food and beer. :lol:

But I will likely be over around Gonzaga
send enough supplies so I can share with Coco
We will be sharing some cervezas with him.
Plus, I need a volunteer to share my beach,
Young
Female
Nubile
Servant attitude...

pappy - 10-30-2012 at 09:15 AM

a bump to see if anybody has new info on the cono crew....

motoged - 10-30-2012 at 10:14 AM

Seems like everybody lost interest in this story :?:

I am curious as well.....

Mula - 10-30-2012 at 03:13 PM

X3. . . . fell off the face . . . .

motoged - 10-30-2012 at 03:21 PM

All the hero points cashed in?

SBSRF - 10-30-2012 at 03:27 PM

It wasn't them.....see below

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=...

Paul Put Seasilk Aground at Mag Bay
October 26, 2012 – Baja California Sur

Seasilk must be the report we received earlier in the week of a boat having gone aground on Baja. Photo Courtesy Seasilk

Seasilk, the beautiful blue-hulled Hylas 46 owned by Craig Blasingame and Sue Steven of Coronado, was blown ashore at Mag Bay on the Pacific Coast of southern Baja on the morning of October 16 by the hurricane-force winds of Paul. This according to the boat's website, which explains last week's reports of an mystery boat having gone ashore in that area.

The couple, veterans of the '10 Ha-Ha, had been enjoying "a fabulous cruise" down the west coast of Baja with crewmembers John and Montyne Connolly, and Brian Rogers, when they noticed via their weather monitoring that Paul was headed in their direction. Thinking they couldn't make it to Cabo before the hurricane hit, and deciding not to try to run north of it, they hunkered down at the anchorage south of the Punta Cortes Naval Base on October 15. They report that cruising guides suggest it's a good spot in which to ride out a storm such as the one that was to hit the following day.

The strong winds began at about 6 a.m. on the 16th, during which time Seasilk was riding to two anchors and using the engine to reduce the strain on the hooks. "It was like riding a bucking bronco," reported Blasingame of the extremely rough and noisy conditions. At some point one of the anchor lines fouled in the prop, so they were down to just one anchor, and that wasn't going to cut it in hurricane-force winds. Blasingame had no choice but try to set a reefed main in a hurricane and tack away from what was apparently a lee shore. As one might expect, the desperation strategy didn't work for long, and soon the boat was aground. Shortly thereafter she heeled over at a 45-degree angle.

A mayday was issued, and then at 11 a.m. Blasingame instructed the crew to abandon ship. It's not easy getting off a boat in hurricane-force winds, which create powerful currents. Fortunately, the entire crew made it ashore, albeit with some minor injuries. But talk about good luck, they got ashore on the grounds of a Mexican Naval Base, with the 34-man and one-woman contingent battened down a short distance away.

"The Mexican Navy has generously offered to host us for as long as it takes to get our boat off the beach," Blasingame wrote at the time. "We have been given two private rooms with baths in the infirmary, we are provided three hot meals a day in the ward room, and they have provided tools, ropes and support to prepare the boat. In addition, the Admiral has been in contact with both US consulates in Baja, and with his superior officers in the Navy. They have helped handle some paperwork as well, since we are not yet officially checked in through Immigration, which makes us illegal aliens in Mexico. Despite the fact that the Navy base sustained some damage as well, they have been so warm and generous."

Craig stayed with the boat until 5:30 p.m. to make sure she wasn't stripped by occupants of a nearby fishing village. At that time he was assured that the Navy would guard the boat. Blasingame had good news for the rest of the crew. Other than the rudder's having been broken, the boat appeared to be in good shape.

The next few days were spent getting gear off the boat and getting ready for the insurance company's October 31 high tide attempt to pull the boat off and tow her to Cabo San Lucas for repairs. We wish them the best of luck.

Despite the disaster, the owners were still struck by the beauty of Mag Bay and the quality of their crew. "It's astonishingly beautiful here, and we have enjoyed watching the sun rise, the moon set, and the frigate birds hovering in the sky. We are truly blessed with the crew that we selected for this trip, as they all performed well as a team, and we are emotionally and spiritually supporting each other, ensuring there is plenty of laughter and prayer between the chores and uncertainty."

Other than rudder damage, Seasilk reportedly is in otherwise good shape. We wish her crew the best of luck in getting her refloated and cruising again.
Photo Courtesy Seasilk
© 2012 Latitude 38 Publishing, LLC

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but we're sure that more than a few readers will question the advisibility of cruising the Pacific Coast of southern Baja in mid-October. After all, it's still the middle of the hurricane season in Mexico, and water temps have been particularly warm this year. We're also a little puzzled by Seasilk's not taking evasive action at the first sign of Paul, which took a number of days on a 600-mile straight-line path to reach Mag Bay.

But what's done is done, and we wish Craig and Sue the very best in getting Seasilk back in deep water and down to Cabo. If you folks read this and need anything from San Diego, Profligate isn't leaving until Monday, so there's a decent chance we can bring down anything you might need.

- latitude / richard

boats

captkw - 10-30-2012 at 04:22 PM

Rember anyone can buy a boat !! but it takes years and a few oops to learn the the ropes!!! hope all works out for the best !! and richard if your reading this moma marta in la paz did like you !! K&the lil Tasha:cool:.....Ps what did happen to "our s/w friends" any updates ???

[Edited on 10-30-2012 by captkw]

pappy - 10-31-2012 at 08:07 AM

at least we now know that wasn't them that wrecked around mag bay.thanks for the report on that particular situation. wonder if they are still at cono, mom got 'em or???

coconaco - 11-5-2012 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Seems like everybody lost interest in this story :?:

I am curious as well.....

x4

DO NOT FEED THE BEARS!!

thebajarunner - 11-5-2012 at 08:33 PM

That sign is posted at the entrance to every National Park, and underneath it says "Feeding the animals makes them dependent on their food supply"

(49 million Americans on food stamps can't be wrong)

Just wondering how many of you, following this thread, can make the connection....
just wondering????

any update on the shipwrecked TRI

captkw - 11-16-2012 at 06:33 AM

what happened to that family???

Hook - 11-16-2012 at 09:48 AM

According to Wikipedia, while sea sponges seem to stay in one place for a long time, they actually are capable of moving around to find better feeding grounds.

BajaNomad - 11-16-2012 at 04:52 PM

Just putting it out there again to see if anyone's been in the area and has an update? Even if it's just to know if they're still there, or if they've left at this point...

Thx.

luv2fish - 11-16-2012 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
That sign is posted at the entrance to every National Park, and underneath it says "Feeding the animals makes them dependent on their food supply"

Just wondering how many of you, following this thread, can make the connection....
just wondering????

If they were blonde & blue would we be "making the connection"???
Just thinking out loud...Don't mean anything else other than that...

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::coolup::coolup:

out loud!!

captkw - 11-16-2012 at 07:02 PM

If they were blonde & blue would we be "making the connection"???{quote}
Hey,,Im blue and blond !! got a problem with that budddy ?? last name is smerf.... LOL:lol:

[Edited on 11-17-2012 by captkw]

They will still become dependent

thebajarunner - 11-16-2012 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

just wondering????

If they were blonde & blue would we be "making the connection"???
Just thinking out loud...Don't mean anything else other than that...

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::coolup::coolup:

Just look at the numbers across this country
The dependency mounts and mounts and mounts.

I chair the local FEMA board, and past chair of the Salvation Army board.
Our FEMA rules are "You are eligible once a month for food distribution"
Beyond that, the same ones line up every day.
At the Army we feed daily with no restrictions, and the same faces every day.

No matter the color or the breed,
"Feed 'em and they will return for more free food"

Islandbuilder - 11-16-2012 at 10:21 PM

Those guys were anchored off a lee shore in a hurricane with an obviously broken boat.
They may be the worst sort of people imaginable, but the kids had nothing to do with the choices their parents made.
That's why I care what happened, because there we some innocent kids involved who had no part in where they ended up.
Ayn Rands dead, let her rest!

pappy - 11-17-2012 at 09:17 AM

yeah, i'm really would like to know what the heck is up with that family. seems like no word/sign of them since the last hurricane blew through. man i hope they didn't get caught out at sea during that storm....for better or worse, i hope they are still at cono-or someplace on land.

LancairDriver - 11-17-2012 at 09:22 AM

Interesting. I can't seem to find anyone saying they didn't care about what happened to them anywhere in the posts. In fact, just the opposite. It's hard to argue with the comparison with "feeding the bears" however, since it is now the norm in the land.

luv2fish - 11-17-2012 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
"feeding the bears" however, since it is now the norm in the land.

When not feeding the bears allows innocent children to go hungry, it is then that we need to change the " norm ". Again I am not advocating anything else other than Human Compassion.

bajajudy - 11-17-2012 at 10:49 AM

Quote:

Just out of curiosity...why do you work with these people?

Curt63 - 11-17-2012 at 11:00 AM

Feeding the bears.. Hmmm

Food stamps, WIC, School Lunch???

Lots of American industries thrive off of this. These are perpetuated by very strong lobbies (that contribute to republicans)

Research Farm subsidies, Dairy subsides, Cattle land leases, crop insurance if you want to see some big federal spending. Most of these date back to the late 40's.

Feeding the poor is big business!

As a high school teacher, I keep big boxes of granola bars and cup o noodles in my classroom and share them freely and frequently. The kids appreciate it.

David K - 11-17-2012 at 11:26 AM

It is just a sad thing when American parents either can't, or don't try and provide 3 meals a day for their children... and thus make it the responsibility of others (tax payers) to provide for them.

It is just a sad statement of how much this once great country has fallen. I guess I was 'lucky' to have gone to elementary school in the 60's and high school in the 70's when being responsible for your own kids was the job of parents and not 'the state'. That (in turn) taught me to be responsible for feeding my kids or paying for their lunches at school... What happened to change that way of thinking? Why is letting the government take over personal needs and making people less responsible even happening???:no:

Cypress - 11-17-2012 at 11:56 AM

My mom and dad both worked. Our family was well fed. They'd buy a block of govt. cheese from the welfare folks whenever they could. The welfare folks were happy to get the cash. The cheese was really good. The welfare folks bought beer and cigeretts with the cash.

vgabndo - 11-17-2012 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Quote:

Just a couple of thoughts. "All men are created equal" is Bull crap. Many humans are born DULL AND LAZY. There is a continuum. In some cultures the strong protect and nurture the weak. In some cultures the weak are seen as an un-natural burden; to be denigrated and disrespected for their disability.

The American 'culture', dominated my one National belief system, fails to support the weak, by demanding their best from them, because it has no real system of accountability. Those who live without integrity simply pass it off to the scapegoat, and the same unaccountable people show up every day in Bajarunner's lines looking for Salad and Salvation. I believe this is also the root cause of the USA having seven times more people locked in prison than communist China for example. In the absence of a moral code demanding accountability, CIVIL law must step up protect the responsible people.

I don't expect things to change much any time soon.

I'm very curious to know the fate of the people in this story, and I'm aware that as I wrote this, half a dozen mother's children died of starvation and exposure in their arms and I did precious little to prevent it.

Everything dies! Its the fear of it that keeps these old myths alive.

luv2fish - 11-17-2012 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Feeding the bears

As a high school teacher, I keep big boxes of granola bars and cup o noodles in my classroom and share them freely and frequently. The kids appreciate it.

Thank You for your service...

Timo1 - 11-17-2012 at 01:24 PM

Kinda like this ??

http://www.ijreview.com/2012/11/22449-judge-judy-makes-incre...

or this ???

http://www.youtube.com/embed/J2NqqL0CnaU?rel=0

"Why do I work with 'these people'"?

thebajarunner - 11-17-2012 at 01:31 PM

Quote:

Well, where do we start?
First of all, I believe that compassion is an essential part of my Christian faith. Thus, how best to ease the pain of human suffering?
Governmental aid has proved to be a complete failure.
But, we still have a responsibility so I identified those groups that seem most effective.
I am past chair of the Library Board- literacy is essential.
I am past chair of the Alliance/Workforce board- jobs are essential.
I am current chair of the Salvation Army rehab center in Stockton,
we are giving 80 men a chance to reclaim their lives through intensive therapy and counsel, and it is working.
I am past chair of the FEMA/EFSP board because we get a lot of government money and we are concerned that it goes to the effective agencies, not the ones with the best P.R.
I have served on two local hospital boards- quality health care in our community is essential.
I serve on several international mission boards- we specialize in community development (not aid) and quality education.

I could go on, but by now you likely tuned out.

Bottom line, I focus on those that, in the motto of our Salvation Army are "Doing the Most Good!"

The government does not fit this model, sad to say...

bajarunner

captkw - 11-17-2012 at 01:41 PM

Hola,,Good on ,,U mate!! and a BIG thanks from another crew member spaceshipe "earth"........K&T

bajajudy - 11-17-2012 at 02:03 PM

Quote:

Well, where do we start?
First of all, I believe that compassion is an essential part of my Christian faith. Thus, how best to ease the pain of human suffering?
Governmental aid has proved to be a complete failure.
But, we still have a responsibility so I identified those groups that seem most effective.
I am past chair of the Library Board- literacy is essential.
I am past chair of the Alliance/Workforce board- jobs are essential.
I am current chair of the Salvation Army rehab center in Stockton,
we are giving 80 men a chance to reclaim their lives through intensive therapy and counsel, and it is working.
I am past chair of the FEMA/EFSP board because we get a lot of government money and we are concerned that it goes to the effective agencies, not the ones with the best P.R.
I have served on two local hospital boards- quality health care in our community is essential.
I serve on several international mission boards- we specialize in community development (not aid) and quality education.

I could go on, but by now you likely tuned out.

Bottom line, I focus on those that, in the motto of our Salvation Army are "Doing the Most Good!"

The government does not fit this model, sad to say...

Sorry Runner. You didnt sound too compassionate to me on the first read.
Keep up the good works

Thanks Judy (and Capt)

thebajarunner - 11-17-2012 at 02:34 PM

I try to spend 50% of my time on non-profit board work.

We also raised four boys from the Door of Faith Orphanage with our family.
Still deeply involved in all of their lives and with my little brown grandkids.

I am not Rep, Dem, lib or conservative.
I am a "Realist" who sees things as they are, and tries to make them as they should be.
Not easy these days, sad to say.

luv2fish - 11-17-2012 at 03:12 PM

Quote:

Now you sound like then Vice President Bush.

woody with a view - 11-17-2012 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:

i dunno if it would sound different if you pulled your head outta, well, you know where. c'mon, try raising 4 foster kids and THEN add more than one sentence when trying to be funny. :light:

thebajarunner - 11-17-2012 at 11:07 PM

Try bring four boys into your home that:
Have never lived with a family
Do not speak your language
Have no concept of Mom and Dad

And loving them and making them, over a period of time, your family.

Go ahead, give it a rip, it is the most meaningful, satisfying and frustrating thing you will ever do.

But, if nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Terry28 - 11-18-2012 at 10:44 AM

Sounds like a stand up guy to me..

Paulina - 11-18-2012 at 11:53 AM

Every time I see this thread up on top, with a new reply, I'm hoping to read news on the family. I too am concerned about the children.

P>*)))>{

Hook - 11-18-2012 at 01:39 PM

And every time, we're disappointed, Paulina.

I keep looking to see if there is a great lesson in human nature out on Cono.

Were good samaritans taken advantage of?
Was this the story of a man on the lam who was endangering his family?
Was the family being coerced to stay?
Did mother nature intercede in the form of a hurricane?

My rather cynical response on the other thread notwithstanding, I am curious about the ending to this human drama.

It's a dreary, gray day over here. I'm bored.

Paulina - 11-18-2012 at 02:02 PM

Silly me, I was just hoping that Santa Claus would know where to find the children.

P>*)))>{

LancairDriver - 11-18-2012 at 08:23 PM

I just posted on Baja Bush Pilots asking anyone flying south to have a look down along the Punta Cono section of coast and see if the boat or people are still around.I have to make a quick trip to Cabo next week and will look myself if nothing is reported.

Ateo - 11-18-2012 at 08:34 PM

Reports should filter in soon as there tends to be more Nomads in the area this time of year.

Sounds like wild animals here.....

mcfez - 11-19-2012 at 06:55 AM

To the tough speaking BN's here that are so anti help to your fellow American:

Your statements about welfare is totally off base. To say that all folks that are in line for food, at the Salvation Army.......in line for help at a local Govt office.......in line at the church's food closet.......that all of these folks are free loaders. Many retorts here, used the definition in their retorts....all.
Get off your high and almighty azzes! You really think that all folks don't deserve help? Let McFez give you a few examples of those in need, and are NOT freeloaders:

Children (innocent from idiot parents life styles)
War disabled.
Mentally challenged.
Temporally homeless (from loss of job or other monetary crises)
Natural disaster (hey...isn't that happening in jersey right now?)
Domestic violence victims
That was short list.......

I suggest before anyone here starts beating their chest and doing the ol' huffing and puffing stance about the welfare recipients getting a free ride....get your facts right.

No no......not all at the welfare department......are bums. Some just cant get 3 meals a day.

[Edited on 11-19-2012 by mcfez]

Mexitron - 11-19-2012 at 07:26 AM

My brother, an oddly enough conservative leaning person, works at a county social services----he says sure, there's the repeat offenders but most of the folks he's dealing with have avoided going for help until they're so desperate they have no other choice. That, and they want to get OFF the help as soon as they can. So McFez is right about painting a brought brush about these things---I mean it sounds good on the radio spins but it ain't all true.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of Gilligan's Island.....wonder if they managed to make a radio antenna out of an Ocotillo :lol:

DavidE - 11-19-2012 at 07:42 AM

go mcfez!

Any professed lover of Mexico who cannot stand the thought of needy children is a curious being indeed. To me, it's the children, forget the adults, they have the ability to take care of themselves. "How is Santa ever going to find us?" becomes unhumorous when you realize it's true. Food, shelter, health, clothes, and toys for starters, Education and love from the parents. Myself I don't care to see silent tears Christmas morning.

[Edited on 11-19-2012 by DavidE]

LancairDriver - 11-19-2012 at 08:15 AM

How about moving the "Humanitarian of the Year" contest to another thread? This thread has departed from an effort to help and find the outcome of ship wrecked family to a self promoting "who is the most concerned" according to the latest self promoter.

desertcpl - 11-19-2012 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
How about moving the "Humanitarian of the Year" contest to another thread? This thread has departed from an effort to help and find the outcome of ship wrecked family to a self promoting "who is the most concerned" according to the latest self promoter.

agree,,, I really think more effort should be directed here on Nomads to put together some thing to find this family ( especially the kids )

Mula - 11-19-2012 at 09:32 AM

Way back when - at the beginning of this thread, someone was talking to Grandma in the states by phone.

Maybe they could check in with her again and see is she has any idea where they are. . . .

desertcpl - 11-19-2012 at 09:44 AM

good idea and a good start

luv2fish - 11-19-2012 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Your statements about welfare is totally off base. To say that all folks that are in line for food, at the Salvation Army.......in line for help at a local Govt office.......in line at the church's food closet.......that all of these folks are free loaders. Many retorts here, used the definition in their retorts....all.
Get off your high and almighty azzes! You really think that all folks don't deserve help? Let McFez give you a few examples of those in need, and are NOT freeloaders:

War disabled.
Mentally challenged.

I suggest before anyone here starts beating their chest and doing the ol' huffing and puffing stance about the welfare recipients getting a free ride....get your facts right.

No no......not all at the welfare department......are bums. Some just cant get 3 meals a day.

Thank you Señor Mcfez. Why some here are wound so tightly is beyond me, I simply posted that Bajarunner's comment like that of then Vice Pres Bush might be seen as insensitive. And no my head is not in my azz, but perhaps you should consider some meds for your anger. Me personally I have suffered from PTSD for quite some time now, but have found the meds to help. I'm sorry if I offended you but I'm not here to fight, I allready did my fighting and now i'm simply trying to get back on my feet. Have a good day sir.

J.P. - 11-19-2012 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
What does (former) vice president Bush have to do at all with anything here? Is there something that happened between 1981 and 1989, before he was elected President?

What does this thread have to do with aything. WHAT HAPPEND TO THE STRANDED BOAT PEOPLE.:?::?::?::?:

David K - 11-19-2012 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
What does (former) vice president Bush have to do at all with anything here? Is there something that happened between 1981 and 1989, before he was elected President?

What does this thread have to do with aything. WHAT HAPPEND TO THE STRANDED BOAT PEOPLE.:?::?::?::?:

Ask this guy, as I was:

Quote:
Quote:

mcfez - 11-19-2012 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

War disabled.
Mentally challenged.

Thank you Señor Mcfez. Why some here are wound so tightly is beyond me, I simply posted that Bajarunner's comment like that of then Vice Pres Bush might be seen as insensitive. And no my head is not in my azz, but perhaps you should consider some meds for your anger. Me personally I have suffered from PTSD for quite some time now, but have found the meds to help. I'm sorry if I offended you but I'm not here to fight, I allready did my fighting and now i'm simply trying to get back on my feet. Have a good day sir.

I dont recall naming names, do you luv2fish? Perhaps your guilty conscience writes for you :yes:

I also dont recall reading any "anger" in my post. Again...perhaps your conscience writes for you :yes:

You need some of my prescribed meds luv2fish? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pages:  1    3    5