BajaNomad

California DMV....KMA!!!

surfdoc - 8-8-2012 at 03:07 PM

My California truck Regs is due in Sept. ,,,Talked to Cathy from Clay county on the 23rd of July.. Mailed out the required paperwork and a check for 75$'s on the 25th.

Today I received my South Dakota Lic Plates and Registration...:biggrin:

California DMV........take the 250$ registration and smog requirement and Kiss My A$$........

Heading home in the morning..........about time!!!

[Edited on 8-8-2012 by surfdoc]

danaeb - 8-8-2012 at 03:25 PM

For those of you with cars in baja who don't want to give up your CA registration, you can be exempted from the smog check by presenting the following pages from the CA smog exemption regs either to the DMV or AAA if you have it. I've done it four years running with no problems, just make sure you print the pages, fill out form 256 and take them with you.

The applicable reg is on page 12, under section 10.030, paragraph "Vehicles Located Outside California".

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch10_RENEWALS.pdf

The only exceptions are for cars located in Tijuana and Tecate.

[Edited on 8-8-2012 by danaeb]

Bob and Susan - 8-8-2012 at 04:09 PM

its harder than it looks...

the first form actually says "exception: Nevada and Mexico"

Bob and Susan - 8-8-2012 at 04:17 PM

...then the second part doesnt say domiciled in tecate or tj...it says...

if the persons address of residence is in those cities

it worked for me in the past but now...no way

maybe if you go to the AAA...they are "easier"

danaeb - 8-8-2012 at 04:19 PM

Believe me, it's not that hard. I just bring the printed pages with me. I've never had a problem with it. They may take it back to the supervisor, but in the end, the regs are black and white and I've always walked out with my tags.

Bob and Susan - 8-8-2012 at 04:36 PM

it says...

A smog certification is not required when a vehicle is located outside of California. TRUE BUT>>>

•The registered owner must complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) or
submit a letter explaining that the vehicle is located out of state.
THIS SAYS NOT MEXICO

•The exemption for vehicles located outside of California does not apply if the residence or mailing address of the registered owner/lessee or the address where the vehicle is garaged is in any of the following cities:
RESIDENCE OR MAILING ADDRESS!!! NOT THE DOMILCILE

Vehicles Located outside California
Nevada:
Mexico:
•Carson City
•Centerville
•Crystal Bay
•Gardnerville
•Genoa
•Glenbrook
•Incline Village
•Minden
•Reno
•Sparks
•Stateline
•Stewart
•Washoe City
•Verdi
•Zephyr Cove
Mexico:
•Tecate
•Tijuana
•Tijuana Baja CA

so....if you can "get it done" "just do it" but the letter of the law is unclear
and some DMVs read these rules differently

danaeb - 8-8-2012 at 04:44 PM

OK, let me rephase: Based on my experience, it's not that hard. Better.

Cisco - 8-8-2012 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
My California truck Regs is due in Sept. ,,,Talked to Cathy from Clay county on the 23rd of July.. Mailed out the required paperwork and a check for 75$'s on the 25th.

California DMV........take the 250$ registration and smog requirement and Kiss My A$$........

Only way to go Stan. Will be changing mine over in March.

Problem is with a CA drivers license and South Dakota plates when I am up here.

Get about the same deal in Pahrump, NV but need to spend $100 year for mail forwarding so I can have a NV license. You on a Mexican License?

At any rate no smog, cheap fees and no DL exam, only a vision check and it's close enough to go back to every four or five years for renewal.

The Sculpin - 8-8-2012 at 05:19 PM

Bob & Susan - the way I read your post, if your mailing address and/or residence is in Mulege, you should be fine? It appears to me that California doesn't want you gaming the system is you live near the border of Cal and Mex, Nev, and maybe Arizona and Oregon?

J.P. - 8-8-2012 at 06:15 PM

my vehicles are reg. in Ca. using my Ensenada adress my renewal notices are delivered to my house in Ensenada and in the past they arrived in plenty of time. I could have renewed through the mail.

acadist - 8-8-2012 at 07:31 PM

Stan, stop by Denver on your way to your new home in South Dakota!LOL!

danaeb - 8-8-2012 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
Bob & Susan - the way I read your post, if your mailing address and/or residence is in Mulege, you should be fine? It appears to me that California doesn't want you gaming the system is you live near the border of Cal and Mex, Nev, and maybe Arizona and Oregon?

The mailing address for my registration is San Diego. The car in is El Centenario (BCS). On form 256 in the statement of facts, I state that the car is garaged in BCS at XXX address. I've never been asked for anything else. I take copies of my fideicomiso and CFE bills for proof, but I've never had to provide them. I've renewed at both the DMV and AAA in San Diego. But, as Bob and Susan have indicated, the procedures may be different at other DMV locations.

msawin - 8-8-2012 at 09:18 PM

Did mine last week for our 1999 Tahoe that lives in Baja and will stay in Baja, Mexiico for everrrrr.....
They are getting their money [our money] , But look at the lines crossing north in the Am from Baja to The Great State of California.. America. North America , with California plates..... that is where the catch is.. They want our SMOG dollars. Be carefull in your statements made at DMV.... They keep records of all facts gave to them. Paid my boat registration and asked if it was still in Baja Mexico.....

Beware.....

vacaenbaja - 8-8-2012 at 09:45 PM

Someone told me a while back that cars registered in Imperial county
did not require smog certs. I do not know if this was/or is true. If so I think that a PO box address is good enough for the DVM.

danaeb - 8-8-2012 at 09:53 PM

You have to dig through the regs document, but there are several counties in CA that are exempted from smog certs. It makes no sense to me, but it's the DMV. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 8-9-2012 by danaeb]

surfdoc - 8-8-2012 at 10:35 PM

I feel violated........LOL....

My next goal is to get my Mx Lic..or a OR lic.

But not worried about a SD reg vech and CA Lic. Only here a couple weeks a year,,,

Why do you want CA registration ??? I'm a CAL Native, and spend most of my 20 years in the Navy here...

I feel I paid my dues to say, California sucks.......used to be the greatest state going... but no more folks...

My dos pesos.... which I plan to give to Andy on Friday :lol:

Bob and Susan - 8-9-2012 at 05:37 AM

my experience...the document doesn't actually say exempt in baja

it does identify a couple of cities but thats it

read it again gnukid

i think its up to a supervisor and their read...especially when its time to smog the thing

i'd go to AAA and avoid the hassel
they ARE easier

i dont live in calif anylonger...too mant restrictions and taxes

Marinero - 8-9-2012 at 07:09 AM

I have never had a problem getting a CA smog exemption until this year. I mailed the usual form to Sacramento and got back an incomplete registration with a snippy little sticky that said "you can get smog tests in Baja". Oh, Right! That little shop up on Mex 1.........

dmv

jkruk - 8-9-2012 at 08:01 AM

Dmv? I would like to avoid paying double insurance to get registered.Does form 256 help with this? I'm one of those Cal places where a smog check is not needed South lake Tahoe. SD is my next choice as is less expensive when one considers insurance as well

DavidE - 8-9-2012 at 10:20 AM

My vehicle was emissions exempt because of the zip code. Only (?) eighty dollars a year for the absolute minimum old car, disabled plates. But it's the carrying of 400 dollar a year -minimum- CA insurance with no tickets since 1967, and no accidents, period, that got my goat. Four hundred a year, for what? Not driving within a hundred miles of the US border? Unh, unh. I would rather donate money to the Ubangi political conservative party than to a fat-cat insurance company.

willardguy - 8-9-2012 at 10:42 AM

interesting. so what does the dmv require of proof of residency? if you live completely off grid and have no address (other than 2nd to the last house in campo so and so) are you just out of luck?:?:

DavidE - 8-9-2012 at 11:44 AM

GNU kid. Care to come to the DMV with me and my INMIGRADO credencial? Care to hear them say NO! ? I am tired of them saying NO! No insurance, no license plates. Suspended registration without a PNO.

Logic is based on reality.

BajaBlanca - 8-9-2012 at 04:58 PM

this is excellent information, gnukid. wish we had known this before.

now: we have mexican plates. mexican driver's licenses. mexican insurance which also covers U.S.

Anyone have a update??

captkw - 10-25-2012 at 06:42 AM

Hola,any news on this dmv smog thing and reg ?? K&T:cool:

A Show of Hands ?

MrBillM - 10-25-2012 at 06:52 AM

It would be interesting to take a poll among those happily evading CA registration who ARE at the same time, decrying the condition of services in the state and are in favor of the various Tax proposals on the CA ballot to try and dig the State out of the hole that it's in.

Tacodawgtim - 10-25-2012 at 07:20 AM

Just curious as to why you continue to pay registration for vehicles that are kept in Baja? I took my jeep south 5 years ago, came home and non oped it. I get my insurance down there, when it is time to bring it home I can get a travel permit then deal with it.. If it ever comes back to California. Just curious am I missing something

PCbaja - 10-25-2012 at 07:22 AM

Vehicles that spend 6 mos. in Mexico are required to be imported.

Tacodawgtim - 10-25-2012 at 07:42 AM

Never heard that one. I was led to believe that they want some form of plate on all vehicles. Old, new, expired. Never been bothered by the military check points or any body. Just keep my registration with me to prove it belongs to me, not saying it is right but has worked for me. My understanding is two counties are exempt, Lake County and Imperial County. There might be more. Since I have a place in Lake County also all of my vehicles are registered out of there, plus lower tax rate. All is good. I'm on my way south in a couple weeks ..

mcfez - 10-25-2012 at 08:41 AM

Great information ......I'll pass this on to a buddy down south of San Felipe. I am sure he will be able to comprehend it. Txs 4 this again.

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
For those of you with cars in baja who don't want to give up your CA registration, you can be exempted from the smog check by presenting the following pages from the CA smog exemption regs either to the DMV or AAA if you have it. I've done it four years running with no problems, just make sure you print the pages, fill out form 256 and take them with you.

The applicable reg is on page 12, under section 10.030, paragraph "Vehicles Located Outside California".

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch10_RENEWALS.pdf

The only exceptions are for cars located in Tijuana and Tecate.

[Edited on 8-8-2012 by danaeb]

WideAngleWandering - 10-25-2012 at 11:05 AM

My CA-registered car is due again in May 2013. I'm also sick of paying $900 / year for California liability insurance that I can't use in Mexico.

I'm already smog exempt ('84 diesel).

I have a friend with an address I can use in Washington. I'm also curious about South Dakota.

Is there an easy way to deal with this problem? I have a few months to ponder.

DENNIS - 10-25-2012 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WideAngleWandering
I'm also sick of paying $900 / year for California liability insurance

That must be Pesos. Either that or you ran through a crosswalk full of school kids.

mulegejim - 10-25-2012 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Hola,any news on this dmv smog thing and reg ?? K&T:cool:

I'll throw my 2 cents in here - for about the last 5 or 6 years I have gone to the San Clemente, CA, Auto Club and renewed the registration on my '93 Chev PU which spends most of it's time in Mulege, BCS, MX. I simply fill out a statement of fact, pay the registration fee and walk out with the new registration and sticker - no smog check needed. I take my FM-3 and a Baja map but have never been asked to show any proof so I don't even show the FM-3 or map. Can't say the process is as simple elsewhere but it works fine for me. Jim

Pescador - 10-25-2012 at 03:09 PM

I have a 92 Geo Tracker and I paid $27 for the first year and less for renewal. And I look like one of the Permanent South Dakota residents.

Sure seems like a better solution than another person here in the same town who did an importation, Mexican Drivers License, Mexican insurance, and the whole thing for a similar vehicle and spent clost to $2900.

I used to pay $55 a year for Colorado Plates, but now I think I like the looks of the South Dakota Plates.

ca DMV =cash cow !!

captkw - 10-25-2012 at 05:31 PM

in capatola ca. near santa cruz ca. is a dmv office .. its across the street from my machinest..and brinks truck stops by everday !! and I myslf have never heard of a insurance firm in going bankrupt !!! so I'am looking at all options and being I live in two country's !! Hell 1 year I had a fishing lic. for mex. ariz.{colo.riv} calif. alaska. and BC all except alaska were none resadent's = dent ya !! LOL..nothing wrong with trying to not get doulbe dinged !! .............K&T:cool:

any news/updates on ca. reg??

captkw - 11-9-2012 at 10:58 PM

just looking for any latest news on smog,reg info ??

larryC - 11-10-2012 at 08:01 AM

I have a 83 truck that never leaves my place here in Baja. Ca wanted me to have ins. pay a couple hundred in reg fees and smog the truck. I called Clay county, they sent me a South Dakota owners cert, and registration for $60 a year. No South Dakota address was necessary. The registration shows my San Diego address. This works for me cause the truck stays in Baja. If I was to get caught driving the truck in Ca. I'd get a ticket.
Works for me but may not work for anyone else.
Larry

LarryC

captkw - 11-10-2012 at 12:56 PM

Hola,,ca. wants there money !!! and the "law" is if your ca. for more than 15 days they want you to reg. the car in calif.. so thanks for the info...Im need more info about having mex insurnce for a year and see what DMV does...? my machinest is accross the street from a DMV office in capatola ca. and a brink's truck stops bay daily !!!! Big,big bucks for reg in CA. and I'd rather give my money away other ways !!

woody with a view - 11-10-2012 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hola,,ca. wants there money !!! and the "law" is if your ca. for more than 15 days they want you to reg. the car in calif.. so thanks for the info... and I'd rather give my money away other ways !!

yeah, being habitually 14-20 BILLION in debt does that to a state!:barf:

[Edited on 11-11-2012 by woody with a view]

vandenberg - 11-11-2012 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
Just curious as to why you continue to pay registration for vehicles that are kept in Baja? I took my jeep south 5 years ago, came home and non oped it. I get my insurance down there, when it is time to bring it home I can get a travel permit then deal with it.. If it ever comes back to California. Just curious am I missing something

Your insurance may be invalid for a non op vehicle and what do you do for a sticker?
I did this myself for am few years in the 80's and used my boat trailer sticker on the truck. Didn't realize the insurance issue.

[Edited on 11-11-2012 by vandenberg]

form 256 DMV

captkw - 11-15-2012 at 07:11 PM

ok went to dmv and got the form..but as b&S pointed out It says "nevada & mexico exceptions ????? ony one have a clue ??...K&T

Here ya go, Capt

bajaguy - 11-15-2012 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
ok went to dmv and got the form..but as b&S pointed out It says "nevada & mexico exceptions ????? ony one have a clue ??...K&T

Biennial Smog Inspection Program
(CVC §4000.3 and H&SC 44011)

A smog certification is not required when a vehicle is located outside of California.

•The registered owner must complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) orsubmit a letter explaining that the vehicle is located out of state.

•The exemption for vehicles located outside of California does not apply if the residence or mailing address of the registered owner/lessee or the address where the vehicle is garaged is in any of the following cities:

Original Smog Certification within One Year
Motive Power Corrections
Vehicles Located outside California

Nevada:

•Carson City
•Centerville
•Crystal Bay
•Gardnerville
•Genoa
•Glenbrook
•Incline Village
•Minden
•Reno
•Sparks
•Stateline
•Stewart
•Washoe City
•Verdi
•Zephyr Cove

Mexico:

•Tecate
•Tijuana
•Tijuana Baja CA

thanks

captkw - 11-15-2012 at 08:25 PM

where is verdie ??? sounds like something out a spagittee cowboy movie !!

bajaguy - 11-15-2012 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
where is verdie ??? sounds like something out a spagittee cowboy movie !!

Verdi......just west of Reno on I-80

spagittee....spaghetti (a type of pasta dish)

OK,OK Im sleepi........

captkw - 11-15-2012 at 08:35 PM

gooday!!!

captkw - 11-16-2012 at 05:00 AM

does ca dmv form 256 exclude smog if you car/truck is in BCS ?

DavidE - 11-16-2012 at 06:05 AM

When in Mexico full time how does a person receive registration and license plates?

morning david

captkw - 11-16-2012 at 06:14 AM

I would guess you could have friend do the paper work with apower of attorney !! dont know !! It's harder than ever to deal with "the motherland" ca DMV is out of control IMO and almost thinking of running two plates on my car !! 1.mex &1.ca whats your thoughts on that ?? LOL K&T....:lol:

dmv

bombero - 11-16-2012 at 07:23 AM

I,v had a nissan suv in the Muleje area for 6 years. Each time I go to Ca dmv for renewal it,s always the same.First the counter person. their supervisor, then the next supervisor I start the same drawn-out procedure. I tell then to look up the veh reg manual sect 27.150. I fill out a statement of facts declaring the vehicle is 600 miles south in Baja and to never be driven in Cal. They demand a Mexican insurance card, I tell them Mexico doesn,t issure "cards" and show then my Mexicans ins papers. They have to get another supervisor to look at the papers.I tell them 80,000 or more Mexican vehicles cross ther ca border each day and no one ask for Ins cards! My address on the registration is Loten 13 Parcela#64 Punta Chivato Municipio Demulege BCS Mexico 23920. The renewal notice is "most of the time is sent to Mulege. I keep a copy of the reg at home in ca to use for renewal. The harder part is remembering the renewal date. I missed it by day 1 day last year and it went for $93 to $132. "Caution" Obama Care will be 10 times less efficent!!

bajaguy - 11-16-2012 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
does ca dmv form 256 exclude smog if you car/truck is in BCS ?

Mexico:

•Tecate
•Tijuana
•Tijuana Baja CA

It would appear to me that if you are NOT in the above three areas, you do not need an emissions (SMOG) test/certificate to register your vehicle when it is in Baja

[Edited on 11-16-2012 by bajaguy]

DavidE - 11-16-2012 at 01:02 PM

What I SHOULD have asked if SOUTH DAKOTA can somehow mail license plates to a Mexican Post office...

Cypress - 11-16-2012 at 01:16 PM

Any US plates will be fine! SD, HI, MS, etc.:yes:

wornout - 11-16-2012 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
What I SHOULD have asked if SOUTH DAKOTA can somehow mail license plates to a Mexican Post office...

When I got my plates years ago, I was told I would have to have a US Mailing address, which I do. I have been using that same address for all the renewals, through the years, without any problems. My rental for a box in Calexico is $25 US a YEAR.

gnukid - 11-16-2012 at 10:12 PM

I visited the DMV today, my vehicles have my BCS address, city, state and postal code, By having that info there are automatically exempt and there is no requirement for the statement of facts exemption form. No problem, the agent does not require me to cite the law, because the only requirement is the fee. Even though I have Mexican INS I also add the cars with minimal annual mileage 1000 to my USA ins coversge which for some reason is no additional cost so the cars are noted as having two reported polices. I had the printout ready of the law but it wasn't needed. It is also possible for the garage location to be BCS and to have the mailing address be another address, you can enter this online or tell the agent to do this BEFORE you ask to pay. By noting te BCS address the rate is far less since you don't pay CA hiway taxes. Once the stickers were even mailed to me in Baja to my house even though I don't have numbers or a mailbox.

Today the lady at the DMV noticed that the renewals were late, one four months late, and she offered to waive the late fee for both vehicles because the DMV has given some leeway for waiver of late fees she said I should set a birthday email app for each cars renewel birthday in advance of the expiration and then I would get a reminder to pay it in advance (since mail doesn't always arrive in Baja) and ask they send it to me or a family/friend to carry down. Total cost for each vehicle is under $100. CA DMV also recognizes mexico insurance, even liability only policies. Nice lady! The bad part, I waited 3 hours but since they have numbers I estimated the time frame and went to the Mexican consulate during the waiting period, the consulate agent wasn't there since he needed time to go home and study the new law, he might not come in on Monday or all next week either said the Consul rep? You may want to call for an appt to the DMV and the Consulate if you plan to visit.

[Edited on 11-17-2012 by gnukid]

wornout - 11-17-2012 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc

I use to register my vehicles in California (I live in San Felipe) by going to the DMV with my renewal form and a one day insurance policy for California. My tags were a little cheaper cuz I told them I lived in Baja and they said I didn't have to pay county fees part of the bill. Then a few years ago, the lady at the counter handed me my tags and said they would expire in one month unless I got an insurance company that can notify them online. I asked to my check back. I was handed a form to submit to get the fees back. I send it that form to Sacramento, and my paperwork for registering all my vehicles in South Dakota. I received my SD license plates before my California DMV refund. Yes, great new law they passed to:
1. Lose revenue for my 3 vehicles
2. Create more revenue for SD.
3. Save me a bunch of money each year
3. Allows me to also say CA DMV KMA.

gnukid - 11-17-2012 at 11:46 AM

If it's any help, here is the FR (insurance) section of the CA DMV code. Note there are many vehicle types that do not require proof and if the DMV registration has your Baja address and you have a resident visa then your baja insurance is a valid and acceptad proof of insurance.

Renewal Notices (CVC §1661), continued
• If an owner does not receive a renewal notice, there may be an incorrect address or a Notice of Release of Liability on record in error.
— An address change/correction may be processed in conjunction with the renewal.
• A Notice of Release of Liability (NRL) that is on the record in error must be removed by the department.
— A Statement of Facts (REG 256) must be completed explaining that the NRL is on the record in error and submitted with the registration fees to complete processing of the renewal.
Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37)
• All insurance companies licensed to do business in California are required to electronically report insurance information for all private-use vehicle liability policies.
• Commercial insurance policies and alternative forms of financial responsibility are not reported electronically.
If the renewal notice requests evidence of financial responsibility, the electronic insurance is not on file and evidence must be submitted.
The following are acceptable for registration renewal:
• A document or insurance card from an insurance company indicating that the vehicle is insured.
• An insurance document or ID card from Canada. • A Mexico resident insurance policy, only if:
— the vehicle record shows a residence address in Mexico, or
— the owner changes his/her residence address to an address in Mexico, and completes a Statement of Facts (REG 256) that certifies he/she is a resident of Mexico and gives his/her Mexico residence address. The Statement of Facts must be submitted with the renewal.
• A DMV authorization letter for cash depositors or self insurers. • A photocopy of a current Surety Bond.
Non-receipt of Renewal Notice
Acceptable FR for renewals
NOTE: A Mexican resident insurance policy will be labeled as such or will indicate that it is only valid for coverage of Mexican residents; it is not valid if the insured is not a Mexican resident. A “travel” policy which does not contain residency restrictions cannot be used as evidence of financial responsibility.
VEHICLE INDUSTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES DECEMBER 2009
Page 10–8
RENEWALS
Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37), continued
• A California Proof of Insurance Certificate (SR 22) for broad coverage or owner’s policy. An operator’s policy does not satisfy financial responsibility.
• Evidence that the vehicle is owned or leased by a public entity defined in Government Code §826.2.
• Motor Carriers as defined in CVC §34601 may complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) indicating that the carrier has evidence of insurance on file with the Public Utilities Commission or DMV pursuant to CVC §34630.
Although CVC §16058 requires electronic reporting of private-use automobile liability policies to the department, commercial or business insurance carriers are exempt.

• Commercial/business insurance policies are normally issued to an applicant registering a vehicle as one of the following:
— Company, Co, Corporation, or Corp. — Incorporation, Incorporated, or Inc. — Doing business as or DBA. — Limited, LTD, or LLC
• If insurance information does not appear on the vehicle record at time of renewal, proof of financial responsibility must be submitted.
— The Notification of Alternative Forms of Financial Responsibility (REG 5085) is not acceptable for renewals.
Owners of the following vehicle types are not required to provide evidence of financial responsibility:

Excluded Vehicles
• Trailers • Off-highway vehicles • Vehicles registered to a government entity (city, county, state, and federal) • Special equipment vehicles • Vehicles registered under planned non-operation status
Acceptable FR for renewals, continued
NOTE: The department will suspend, cancel, or revoke the registration of a vehicle when false evidence of financial responsibility has been submitted or when the insurance company notifies the department that the policy was cancelled and a sufficient period of time has elapsed for replacement coverage.
Commercially Insured Vehicles
Excluded Vehicles

[Edited on 11-17-2012 by gnukid]

DavidE - 11-17-2012 at 12:38 PM

When I tried this last January, the woman at window 11 smiled at me and said "No". It wsn't about the gross polluter smog category of my older car which passed every year way below the max limits, it was the five hundred ninety dollar a year minimum PLPD insurance for a driver who has never had a ticket or accident. I am supposed to pay seven hundred sixty five dollars a year for an 18-year old car. Oh, yeah, I did start over. Another two hours. The gray haired gentleman handed me a sheath of papers to be filled out and sent to Sacramento. This was done and a check was sent by certified mail. Sacramento cashed my eighty two dollar check and sent back a slip of paper ***REGISTRATION INCOMPLETE*** and no tags.

Land of the FEE !!

captkw - 11-17-2012 at 02:13 PM

Damn insurance companys have calif. in its pocket & its nuts here as far as getting/staying legal with a older car...... and to think guys died in wars so that this was to be great free...............???? I degress..its getting nuts in california !!!!:no:

simple solution

bajaguy - 11-17-2012 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Damn insurance companys have calif. in its pocket & its nuts here as far as getting/staying legal with a older car...... and to think guys died in wars so that this was to be great free...............???? I degress..its getting nuts in california !!!!:no:

Actually 2.....

get the least expensive coverage within the legal limits

move out of California

move

captkw - 11-17-2012 at 11:44 PM

I do in the winter..... BAJA !! but late spring,summer and early fall its hard to beat the west coast all the way up to alaska !! if you ever get to spend time in say upper BC in the summer you will know why they call it " Gods country" and the only thing that keeps me sane (debateable) is knowing that that I have baja to look forward Too.. but I'm getting tired off jumping thur hoops with all the rules,,regs,,fee's and face it WE nomads live a live style that is a little bit outside of the sheeple !!! next is dmv gonna demand proof of tire balance & rotation ???? K&T

DavidE - 11-18-2012 at 05:13 AM

No, but what IS coming and FAST, are license plates that can be scanned at high speed. Like what MARYLAND has right now. The state starts out innocent enough, stolen cars, lack of insurance, wants and warrants on the driver (owner)...

But then...

"Sir the reason I pulled you over is that you have warrants out for unpaid parking tickets in Ventura and San Diego"

To be followed by...

"Sir the reason I pulled you over is that the state has a warrant because you have failed to pay your property taxes".

jeans - 11-18-2012 at 11:44 AM

I was born & raised in Los Angeles County. As a child, I remember

1. laying down after recess with a damp compress over my eyes to stop the sting from pollution
  2. Hearing the weather announcers include "Light to moderate eye irritation today...."

Thanks to tighter smog regulations, LA has a fraction of the air pollution it did in the '50's & '60's....BUT if saving a few bucks is THAT important to you....

smog ,,

captkw - 11-18-2012 at 05:13 PM

I was smoged lic in ca. and alaska and Its is helping and having you car smogged will save you money in gas and some repairs..that said I keep my car in top running shape and myself think that a car with a good history should get more that 1 year not to smog..Newer cars are excempt for 6 years I think..And gross polluters 1 chance and if no improvement on the 2nd test Crush it.......A thought........PS I dont see anywhere on this thread where someone was "trying to save a BUCK" I, myself would rather take 2or3 "C" notes and pull up to DMV at the drive up window and get my new stickers and be done with it !!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 11-19-2012 by captkw]

DavidE - 11-18-2012 at 06:00 PM

K&T Chk U2U

gnukid - 11-18-2012 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans

Thanks to tighter smog regulations, LA has a fraction of the air pollution it did in the '50's & '60's....BUT if saving a few bucks is THAT important to you....

Jeans, Your insinuation is ignorant and absolutely offensive.

US citizens who travel, for example in Baja California Sur, they have the right to live abroad and leave a vehicle and if it's too far from the home or too far from inspection stations or perhaps the gas is different and might damage their catalytic converter, then they are exempt from inspection. The law states people may travel freely and are not required to return home arbitrarily for inspection and it's quite reasonable and appropirate, in fact it has to do with reducing pollution and waste of time and gas to return across a far distance unneccessarily.

The fact is that US citizens have the right (like everyone) to travel the roads freely and have no requirement to returrn to USA for an abritrary vehicle test which does not have any actual improvement or reduction on output of pollution.

Apparently you have a prejudice against Baja Nomads such that those who abide by laws and don't drive needlessly thousands of miles are somehow reasposible for your teary eyes in your youth. Your insinuation is without merit, prejudicial and offensive.

[Edited on 11-19-2012 by gnukid]

durrelllrobert - 11-19-2012 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
No, but what IS coming and FAST, are license plates that can be scanned at high speed. Like what MARYLAND has right now. The state starts out innocent enough, stolen cars, lack of insurance, wants and warrants on the driver (owner)...

But then...

"Sir the reason I pulled you over is that you have warrants out for unpaid parking tickets in Ventura and San Diego"

To be followed by...

"Sir the reason I pulled you over is that the state has a warrant because you have failed to pay your property taxes".

Maryland is a police state which is why they have State Police instead of highway patrol, etc. Most of the cars that they impound end up being used as unmarked radar cars (including everything from tractor trailers to sport cars). When they stopped me for a tail light out on Christmas eve many years ago they ended up impounding my car because I gave them a MD drivers license (that I had to get in order to cash checks there) and my car still had CA plates on it. When I went to impound yard to retrieve it they wouldn't release it until it had MD plates so I went to DMV, get them and was told they couldn't give them to me until car passed safety and smog inspection. The impound yard said they couldn't release car for inspection either.
About 3 months later I saw it parked next to I95 near VA border with a State Police radar pointed out the rear window.

J.P. - 11-19-2012 at 04:45 PM

California has the same capability they know your life's history before they get out of the patrol car:yes::yes:

durrelIIIrobert ??

captkw - 11-19-2012 at 06:44 PM

Damn,,I guess maybe I should not b-tch so much about ca. !! BTW did you ever serve in the armed forces ??? I'm sure you see what I'm leading to...anyway thats a F/up story..15 yrs back in calif. my step father was getting his car towed to get the tranny replaced annd the car was being towed on the front wheels only..got stopped by the CHP and impounded the car for late reg....aint that about a ------ The land of the FEE !! I'll take a ticket in mex over one in the USA !! I have never heard of a gringo getting a car impounded for nothing !!!..Quik,,wheres that raincoat !!! K&T.............:cool::cool:

[Edited on 11-20-2012 by captkw]

durrelllrobert - 11-20-2012 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Damn,,I guess maybe I should not b-tch so much about ca. !! BTW did you ever serve in the armed forces ??? I'm sure you see what I'm leading to...anyway thats a F/up story..15 yrs back in calif. my step father was getting his car towed to get the tranny replaced annd the car was being towed on the front wheels only..got stopped by the CHP and impounded the car for late reg....aint that about a ------ The land of the FEE !! I'll take a ticket in mex over one in the USA !! I have never heard of a gringo getting a car impounded for nothing !!!..Quik,,wheres that raincoat !!! K&T.............:cool::cool:

[Edited on 11-20-2012 by captkw]
Never was enlisted. Couple of deferments for college then JFK quit drafting married men. However I did work for DoD as an Engineer for 20+ years including my time in MD/ DC.