BajaNomad

cilantro and fish

willardguy - 8-31-2012 at 06:14 PM

I bought some halibut at the TJ fish market and they threw a bushel of cilantro in with it. I chopped some up for the tarter sauce but whats the deal, you bake it with the fish?
and yeah yeah yeah catch your own only eat the fresh stuff blah blah blah, I agree but I dont like fish enough to go bake in gonzaga heat!:bounce:

vandy - 8-31-2012 at 06:22 PM

Ceviche.

willardguy - 8-31-2012 at 06:27 PM

ahhhhhh! of course!:light:

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-31-2012 at 06:44 PM

halibut is not a good fish for ceviche as they are known to harbor parasites, especially in the summer months. rockfish is another one to avoid.

ceviche is a chemical type of cooking and doesn't kill parasites. unless the fish has been frozen at 0 degrees for at least 3 days first, it isn't recomended.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

bajadogs - 8-31-2012 at 08:31 PM

Cilantro kills bacteria and can prevent salmonella. Maybe that's why it was included with the halibut.:?:

BornFisher - 8-31-2012 at 10:21 PM

Just chop the cilatro and mix it with sour cream or mayo. Squeeze in some lime and use just as you would tartar sauce, on the side, or, spread it on fillets and grill. Use for baked potato or steak or whatever--- so simple and so good!

acadist - 9-1-2012 at 05:35 AM

If it was for ceviche why didn't he give you an onion, tomato peppers and lime,:light: sounds like it was just a tease:tumble:

vandy - 9-1-2012 at 11:15 AM

Here is the most cilantro-intensive fish recipe I could find. It uses 2 cups of cilantro, made into pesto, slathered on top of fish and baked.

To me it sounds absolutely dreadful:

http://macrobiotic.about.com/od/seafoodentrees/r/FishCilantr...

Maybe the cilantro was to keep the flies off the fish?

willardguy - 9-1-2012 at 11:48 AM

oh yeah, like the review said, waaaaay too much cilantro taste!

DENNIS - 9-1-2012 at 12:02 PM

A leeetle beeeet of Cilantro goes a long way. Use sparingly or it will take forever to get that taste out of your mind.