gnukid - 10-17-2012 at 01:38 PM

[Edited on 10-17-2012 by gnukid]

Puerto San Carlos, 16 Octubre 2012

bryanmckenzie - 10-17-2012 at 01:45 PM

Thanks Gnukid! Well done.

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid

bryanmckenzie - 10-17-2012 at 01:48 PM

OH NO! Not the liquor shelf! That's REALLY alcohol abuse. Did things float away? Get damaged?

Quote:
Originally posted by MulegeAL
From telecon with Saul at his store/mercado: The lower part of his store where the liquor/wine is shelved got wet, that's about 3 feet above the roadbed in front of the store. :(

[Edited on 2012-10-17 by bryanmckenzie]

Beachgirl - 10-17-2012 at 02:06 PM

2 PM National Hurricane Center says Paul is over, and that was their final update. Residue rain and surf though. Another thread ovbiously started to track fuel and road conditions. Great help if anyone has info for that one. Shari, party on girl. Why not?

EngineerMike - 10-17-2012 at 02:08 PM

Havig's, next door upstream from the Jungle property and with house raised maybe 20" report 3ft of water in the house. By that I'd guess little to no water in Pam & Randy's as their floor is higher and 75 meters downstream.
Sharon- Tom & Patty had both a) the same advanced warning as everybody else (who appear to have made good use of the time), and b) the H.John experience of swimming out of their bedroom window. Pretty sure they got the trailer out, not sure where they stayed.
John Dinning pretty much ditto. Havig would have reported if there was a problem because Sergio is at their house cleaning up & Sergio would know for sure.
I'll put it on my agenda for the next update. Havig's phone was running dry, so he needed to retrieve cell charger from his rig parked at Cliff's storage out on the highway south of Pemex, and I'll catch up w/him around c-cktail time if phones are still up.
I'm a little worried the cell towers are not armed w/generators and will go down if power is out too long (tower radio gear has batteries for a while), but we'll see.

Mulege - Tom and Patti

joshgesa - 10-17-2012 at 02:47 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I talked to them yesterday about noon and they had pulled everything and were with Pam and Randy. They promised to keep watches and get out if there was water coming in based on what happened during John. My phone number is 949-233-7631 if anyone has information at any point and would like to call. Also e-mail is SharonFerrelli@gmail.com.

Bob and Susan - 10-17-2012 at 02:48 PM

the radio said today 300 homes in the flood plain of the mulege river were damaged...

lots of families displaced

currently the road connecting loreto to mulege is closed
a washout
they are stopping cars at the military check point just north of loreto

next flight out is friday

[Edited on 10-17-2012 by Bob and Susan]

ltowashout.jpg - 41kB

Bob and Susan - 10-17-2012 at 02:50 PM

right now 3:45pm here on the bay in mulege

there are scattered clouds...a 5mph breeze

sunny and 75 degrees

lawnday - 10-17-2012 at 03:15 PM

pt. abreojos update 4.00p.m. no major damage in town or at beliza ( Ralph , I checked out your house and everything is O.K...).The weather is beautiful , light breeze , blue skies and 4 to5 ft waves...................p.s the new gas station to open any day now.................... Steve

Beachgirl - 10-17-2012 at 03:21 PM

Bob and Susan, thanks so much for the scoop about the road. Any news going from Mulege northward?

TMW - 10-17-2012 at 03:26 PM

Loreto BCS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z...

DENNIS - 10-17-2012 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Loreto BCS

Man.....that is a lot of water going by.

shari - 10-17-2012 at 03:46 PM

the Asuncion hurricane Paul party is ON here...c-cktails, food, amigos & stories at the blowhole....we saw a patch of blue sky and are hoping for a sunset here...everyone's roof stayed on, no broken windows....whew...photos soon

thank you everyone for your concern, phone calls, u2u's, emails and prayers.

Dennis- you got that right!!

thebajarunner - 10-17-2012 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Loreto BCS

Man.....that is a lot of water going by.

What a shame that there is no way to divert some of that so it perks back into the ground water table.
So little fresh water comes to Baja,
and when it does it all flashes out to sea.
Bummer.....

DENNIS - 10-17-2012 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

What a shame that there is no way to divert some of that so it perks back into the ground water table.
Bummer.....

That crosses my mind every time I see water running out to sea, Dick, but I think it's going to be De-Sal....The wave of the future.

LaTijereta - 10-17-2012 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

Bummer.....

That's why Felipe Calderón was here last week..They are building the first of a series of dams over at Comondu..
http://loretonoticias.com.mx/?p=5556

By the way we are still without city water in Loreto..

rts551 - 10-17-2012 at 04:53 PM

Is there enough running water to warrant a dam? or just when there is a hurricane. Most dams are dependent on snow pack.

Bob and Susan - 10-17-2012 at 06:13 PM

the road from san ignacio to mulege is open and lots of gas

there was a strech from mulege to santa rosalia that was closed but it opened at about 4pm today

everything is open and clear right now

weather is nice

BajaBlanca - 10-17-2012 at 06:40 PM

turned into an absolutely gorgeous day with blue skies and no clouds ... I feel like we are in a time warp ! did Paul really happen ?

sorry for those who lost windows and walls and palapas in Mulege- thank goodness, looks like lives were spared ... all the rest can be replaced.

party on Asuncion !

Bob H - 10-18-2012 at 12:39 AM

Jeeze, hope everyone is OK!

David K - 10-18-2012 at 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Jeeze, hope everyone is OK!

Sure everything's okay... you are 'down under' having a great time in kiwiland!

Bajagypsy - 10-18-2012 at 07:28 AM

So happy to hear that everyone made it unscathed Shari.

Pescador - 10-18-2012 at 07:30 AM

Must have been a cow that drowned in Mulege and it is on the beach at Punta Chivato along with lots of palm trunks and branches. Someone thought they saw part of the dock from the landing at Serenidad as well, but have not confirmed that.

Russ - 10-18-2012 at 08:29 AM

Punta Chivato road report
Closed ---- Workers coming in had to walk a half K and were picked up on this side of the majon (estuary). Report from Mike Morris. He feels we'll need some heavy equipment to open it this time.

Mula - 10-18-2012 at 08:39 AM

Roads into Lopez Mateos are closed - both from Insurgentes and the back way through Benito Juarez.

Those who are in the know - say it may be 2 to 3 days before the water goes down.

larryC - 10-18-2012 at 09:35 AM

Any news on the road conditions into or out of Agua Verde? I planned on going there this week but that might not happen.
Larry

EngineerMike - 10-18-2012 at 09:40 AM

This report just in by email this a.m. from Mulege, Bob & Sharon Tussy who were there fishing their brains out till the deluge:
"Hi everyone, just checking in, internet is back up and we are having breakfast right now at Equipales. Lots of displaced people, we are lucky we got the hotel room when we did as everything in town is sold out. And so many of the Mexican people again lost everything that they owned." I heard Mely's aka Doney's is also open.

Main highway conditions are not certain yet with various washouts reported, so trips down w/supplies, assistance, & working on one's own stuff should wait for an all clear on roads. Additionally there is the issue of lodging. If you don't have lodging lined up, don't go till you do. No reason to further tax the resources that exist.

One suggestion- whenever you find an old style phone that just has a phone jack, no 120 volt "cube" that plugs into electricity: BUY IT. Then donate it to someone in a flood/hurricane zone, with a heavy duty waterproof zip lock bag marked "PARA URGENCIA." These older style phones are harder to come by, but you'll find them at yard & estate sales; they are boring & not wireless, but they work off just the phone company signal. That's what's needed when the power is out to communicate. Cell phones loose charge, cell towers have a limited window unless they have generator backup which most don't in MX. Hope this helps.

roundtuit - 10-18-2012 at 10:17 AM

Trucks are rolling both north and south on hwy 1 near Posada Concepcion (11:00 am)

micah202 - 10-18-2012 at 10:44 AM

here's some information passed from people in the LaPaz/Ventana area....
...sounds like chaos down there,,I hope all are well.

Road south of Puerto Escondido/Ligui washed out but was passable this morning. Friends left Tripui this am for LaPaz in a pickup truck. Very rough just south of Ligui and headlight deep water in Insurgentes but they made it!! They will be returning tomorrow and will update the report then.
Road north of Puerto Escondido to Loreto is out. Large sections of road missing between Juncalito/the Mirador and Clam Shack. OK from Nopolo/Loreto Bay to Loreto. They are working on it. We have heard estimates from 2-5 days to repair. Will report when it is open.
fuelpusher2@yahoo.com
-
----------------------------------------
Many of the roads and bridges between Insurgents and Santa Rosalia have been destroyed. After spending 30 hours stuck between two washed-out bridges I'm finally in Loreto. There's another destroyed bridge and a flipped fuel tanker truck blocking the road north from Loreto. If driving expect many delays. If it rains again do not even attempt. Lots of flooding and estruction. Ben, Oct.17
-

[Edited on 10-18-2012 by micah202]

EngineerMike - 10-18-2012 at 11:19 AM

Just spoke w/Saul Davis.
Power is back on in Mulege Centro, but sketchy, 187 volts on the 240 volt circuits, and power crews working all over.
Telephone is out in sections due to poles & lines down; on in town center generally.
Water is not on yet. This a.m. crews reinstalled the new 100hp pump donated by Rotary International recently (they had taken it off the well head), but have other work to restore water service. Should be on in town maybe later today. For other areas will depend on line breaks.

Saul says the rumor of road out between Mulege & Sta.Rosalia is either not true or repair was made quickly. He is not sure trucks are running from Ensenada as there is little traffic. Once buses are running regularly that will be proof road is fully passable.

Bugman - 10-18-2012 at 11:37 AM

I went to Agua Verde by panga from Loreto on Oct. 7th and the road appeared to be open at least to Rancho Cosme (right were road comes off the cliff to the beach). The locals in town told me that the road was still badly washed out before town though and they anticipated a few more weeks to get it open. I can only imagine this latest rain has set that timetable back a bit. Things definitely looked stressed there. I hope they get the road open and things get back to normal soon.

Destiny - 10-18-2012 at 06:49 PM

I've uploaded a few photos to Flikr if you would like to see photos of the other side of the river..Roughly at about Don Chanos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76737280@N08/

[Edited on 10-19-2012 by Destiny]

pictures

reneske - 10-18-2012 at 07:22 PM

It says that is a bad link. Cannot view anything. Could you please try again?

redmesa - 10-18-2012 at 07:40 PM

Use the whole address including the @N08/ ...copy and paste it in the address line.

mulegejim - 10-18-2012 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Must have been a cow that drowned in Mulege and it is on the beach at Punta Chivato along with lots of palm trunks and branches. Someone thought they saw part of the dock from the landing at Serenidad as well, but have not confirmed that.

Jim, if someone could confirm the dock some here would be interested in salvaging some of the dock to rebuild a new one. Check your U2U. Thanx, Jim

ecomujeres - 10-18-2012 at 08:01 PM

Reneske: copy and paste the entire link that Destiny has, including the part beyond the underlined. Works that way.

Mulege: The north river road is open

Mulegena - 10-18-2012 at 08:20 PM

Thank you, Destiny, for the photos which were taken shortly after sunrise the morning after. My husband in his old Chevy 4x4 was the first person to break out of Don Chano's and trailblaze his way out to El Patron and up to Loma Azul and come back to tell the tale.

The malecon did indeed suffer some nasty bumps.
So happy to report that the heavy machinery got to work straight away, and within the day had carved a new route onto the damaged malecon. The north river road is now open to all forms of traffic. Its narrow in some spots and kinda bumpy, but its open.

The lighthouse, of course, is an island. This happens with every flood. The strong winds and current will fill in the little peninsula to the lighthouse within about a month.

Estrella - 10-18-2012 at 08:32 PM

Many Thanks-was finally able to open the pictures!

paranewbi - 10-19-2012 at 05:36 AM

One suggestion- whenever you find an old style phone that just has a phone jack, no 120 volt "cube" that plugs into electricity: BUY IT. Then donate it to someone in a flood/hurricane zone, with a heavy duty waterproof zip lock bag marked "PARA URGENCIA." These older style phones are harder to come by, but you'll find them at yard & estate sales; they are boring & not wireless, but they work off just the phone company signal.

EngineerMike; Would this include the old dial roto thing we use to have as kids...with the big head piece you can rest on your shoulder ala 60's? I may have a line on some of those.

EngineerMike - 10-19-2012 at 07:12 AM

Paranewbi- yes. those are "pulse" dial instead of "tone" dial, but they work off only the phone company's line power, don't need a 2 or 3 prong 120 volt power source. Great gifts for somebody who has land line phone service in a flood plane vicinity.

After Jimena, working phones were scarce in Mulege and we had to make an appointment for a call time to get info to anybody. I wonder if the Fire Dept has a flood phone; maybe that's where I'll donate the one I just bought coupla weeks ago. Thanks for the idea!!

RADIO !!

captkw - 10-19-2012 at 08:17 AM

A VHF IS THE BEST THING AROUND AND SSB IS BETTER !!

J.P. - 10-19-2012 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Paranewbi- yes. those are "pulse" dial instead of "tone" dial, but they work off only the phone company's line power, don't need a 2 or 3 prong 120 volt power source. Great gifts for somebody who has land line phone service in a flood plane vicinity.

After Jimena, working phones were scarce in Mulege and we had to make an appointment for a call time to get info to anybody. I wonder if the Fire Dept has a flood phone; maybe that's where I'll donate the one I just bought coupla weeks ago. Thanks for the idea!!

The next time you are at The Telnor office you can buy a new one cheap

[Edited on 10-19-2012 by J.P.]

Pescador - 10-19-2012 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Jim, if someone could confirm the dock some here would be interested in salvaging some of the dock to rebuild a new one. Check your U2U. Thanx, Jim

The dock or platform is close to Taco (Harry Oxley's house) and the camping beach. The barrels were salvaged ( I think) by a couple of the local fishermen.

You are welcome to the cow also if someone wants to have a big taco roast.

Pescador - 10-19-2012 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
A VHF IS THE BEST THING AROUND AND SSB IS BETTER !!

NOT IF THE PEOPLE YOU WANT TO TALK TO DO NOT HAVE A RADIO.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PHONE LINES THAT WORK VERY WELL BUT NEED TO HAVE THE OLD STYLE PHONES TO BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE. guess what? NO NEED FOR ANTENNA, NO NEED FOR 12 VOLT SYSTEM, JUST PLUG IN, AND TALK.

I KNOW THAT !!

captkw - 10-19-2012 at 08:30 AM

BUT IN A REALLY BAD SCENE HAND HELD RADIOS ARE BEST !! YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE LITTLE STUFF !! IN A LIVE OR DEATH SCENE,,THE BEST COMS ARE RADIOS !! THAT IS A FACT FOR ON SCENE INCIDENTS !! ASK ANY FIRST RESPONDER !!.............JUST A SAYING !!

bigmike58 - 10-19-2012 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
BUT IN A REALLY BAD SCENE HAND HELD RADIOS ARE BEST !! YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE LITTLE STUFF !! IN A LIVE OR DEATH SCENE,,THE BEST COMS ARE RADIOS !! THAT IS A FACT FOR ON SCENE INCIDENTS !! ASK ANY FIRST RESPONDER !!.............JUST A SAYING !!

what? I can't hear you

BajaNews - 10-19-2012 at 12:06 PM

rts551 - 10-19-2012 at 12:17 PM

Quote:

MAYBE YOU COULD DONATE YOUR RADIOS TO THE LOCALS THEN.. BETTER YET....BUY EACH ONE.

micah202 - 10-19-2012 at 12:35 PM

...it'd be interesting to know where the pics are .

...btw...the caps-lock is at the left of your keyboard-TRY USING IT!!!

David K - 10-19-2012 at 12:38 PM

Great Photos BajaNews!

They look to be along Bahia Concepcion... yes?

[Edited on 10-19-2012 by BajaNomad]

mulegemichael - 10-19-2012 at 06:02 PM

actually, dk, those pics are between sta. rosalia and mulege...the reason i know, is because on weds. afternoon, when the the water was still blasting through there, i blew through a marine blockade and crossed without permission...sideslipped a bit but the ol toyota got me across...was wondering if i was gonna be chased by bullets but i had my mind bent on beachgirl and north..raised a big cheer from the gallery on both sides...when i got to ricardos rice and beans in san ignacio they told me i was the first vehicle north all day...miracles do happen..m.

rice & beans

captkw - 10-19-2012 at 07:47 PM

Richardo and family = buena hente...and his brother in S.F. with a place of the same name !! good folks...race folk's and just down to earth nice people !!!

EngineerMike - 10-20-2012 at 10:15 AM

Morning rumors:
1) travel Mulege to Loreto 3.5hrs due to road conditions & construction repairs (call it 90 miles, up from 2 hours including delay at the military stop under ordinary conditions)
2) electricity on south side of river and water as well, tho outages locally where lines are down or broken respectively.

got a U2U from a Nomad wanting to donate to local families in need. You can PayPal donations to me at mike@fleming.cc, mark them a "gift" so there's no commission. I will call Saul Davis who will make up food packets & distribute them right away. We did this after Jimena when things were desperate and it worked well, many tears of thanks were shed. If you want a receipt please include a mailing address.

gnukid - 10-20-2012 at 11:40 AM

http://colectivopericu.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/autorizada-l...

Hot Dog sales authorized again in La Paz, but not yet in Mulege, San Carlos and Comundu.

La Paz, BCS-The Advisory Council of the State Commission for Prevention Against Health Risks, with support in the results of measurements and laboratory tests announcement from Friday afternoon lifting the ban on the sale of food on public roads in the five municipalities of the state.

The State Commissioner of COEPRIS, Mario Garcia Isais, said that during the three days we stayed the ban, no cases of acute diarrhea or severe stomach infections, nor are reports of more infections or respiratory effects on the skin, however reiterate the call for people to extreme measures of personal hygiene in the preparation and consumption of food.

He confirmed that in the past seventy-two hours-long ban for selling food on the streets 127 warnings were issued statewide business owners who opened, which were not sanctioned because immediately suspended their activities .

The suspension ordered food for sale has been raised from the evening of Friday except for the area of ​​Ford Street to Tenochtitlan, in the town of Peace and held in Puerto San Carlos, municipality and Comondú Village Mulege, Mulege Township, where environmental conditions are inadequate and there is evidence of sewage runoff.

The decision, said Dr. Mario Garcia Isasis, was taken into the Council of the State Commission for Prevention Against Health Risks, with support in the laboratory tests, in the past three days, indicating the appropriate environmental conditions.

Reported that in the three-day suspension of all food sales in public benefited from the receipt of public support to open their business reports, by warning that closed, a task in which municipal authorities helped.

The State Commissioner COEPRIS, insisted that although environmental conditions have improved, people must take care of your health, maintaining personal hygiene and hygiene in the preparation and consumption of food.

Finally COEPRIS said staff in the five municipalities maintain surveillance and analysis of environmental conditions and supervision on the premises to verify the quality of the products.

EngineerMike - 10-21-2012 at 01:57 PM

Thanks to the two Nomads who donated $100 each. I got eh PayPal notice just now, & called Saul Davis to make up food packets right away with the $200.

For anybody else who wants: PayPal to mike at fleming dot cc (not dot com, just cc) and click Personal, Gift to avoid commission on the donation.
Thanks a million, Mike

EngineerMike - 10-21-2012 at 06:17 PM

I went out to run some errands and came back to another $350 in donations,
Pot is now up to $550 and Saul is assembling food packets for the needy to distribute tomorrow.

Thanks to all who have contributed from Cabo to Canada!!!!

Bob and Susan - 10-22-2012 at 06:03 AM

the road from the border to mulege is perfect

no problems at all

the place between santa rosalia and mulege is a 5 foot dirt area
...nothing

roads

baja09 - 10-22-2012 at 06:21 AM

Thanks for the report , Bob And Susan..good to have first hand info!...........have a friend heading to mulege wed am...good to know..

mulegejim - 10-22-2012 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
the road from the border to mulege is perfect

no problems at all

the place between santa rosalia and mulege is a 5 foot dirt area
...nothing

Thanks for the update - heading north from Mulege Tuesday AM. Will post a report if any changes. Jim

EngineerMike - 10-22-2012 at 10:58 PM

Another $175 came in today. total is up to $725 and packets started going out today.
Thanks to all, and to all a good night.
Mike

micah202 - 10-23-2012 at 03:57 PM

ROAD REPORT ~~ THX TO BAJA PONY EXPRESS:
(written 10-21-12) Arrived Buena Vista 8.30 pm Sunday. We took our usual 24 hours drive time down the Baja ; no delays, no detours. We crossed the occasional arroyo or puente that had already been re-graded. All in all a very nice drive; few trucks over this weekend (sadly not a lot of RV's either), beautiful greenery. What could be better? Sam and Deb

EngineerMike - 10-23-2012 at 04:13 PM

Holy Cow Batman!!!
Another $1,000 came in this morning while I was out doing chores.
Guess I should do more chores! We're up to $1,725.

Thanks to all for helping Mulege make it thru this difficult time. There are always a few desperate folks, especially in rural towns in Mexico. There are also generous people around to lend a caring hand. Go Nomads!!
Mike

EngineerMike - 10-24-2012 at 01:22 PM

$1,875 as I check in at lunch.
Thanks a Million on behalf of Mulege, Go Nomads!!

EngineerMike - 10-25-2012 at 08:15 AM

This just in this morning from folks at Burro Beach on Concepcion Bay:

"Lots of families who were flooded are moving to the new houses (south of town across from the big Pemex) & the Internado and the HS & Primaria are now in operation out there, too. I think 1 Primaria is going to stay in Mulege.

Leobardo and Silvia (managers of the Internado that was west up Icehouse road) have been working non stop all week moving things to the new Internado. We've stopped by twice and they are 2 very tired people. Because there was advance notice about Paul, Leobardo managed to get a lot of things to dry ground, but there was still some loss and lots of mud clean up. To the best of my knowledge, the HS kids returned to the Internado yesterday & the younger ones will start Monday. There are about 12 kids in the ranches that can't get down yet because the roads were washed out."

There are a few high school students getting room & board at the Internado school, some Secundaria as well. The actual boarding school is a K-6, but the boarding facility covers higher grades if the kids qualify. The above is from the head of Amigos de los Ninos, who hold the annual art sale at Burro Beach & Bertha's restaurant to raise money for scholarships. Bobbe & Eduardo are there since Oct 8 so they weathered the storm; no flooding at "the beaches" as the playas on the Bay are known locally in Mulege.
I heard from Saul Davis, who is a grocer in town, that one guy who had a sort of mini-mart at his house up Icehouse road (and kept getting flooded) has moved to the new housing development. I'm guessing he'll set up a store there also. Obviously there will be a vacuum in services there till such things evolve as they do all over Mexico.

micah202 - 11-5-2012 at 08:39 PM

...any news on mulege's recovery??

mulegemichael - 11-6-2012 at 08:25 AM

it's coming along nicely with quite a few folks moving up to the nuevo mulege.....the gringo residences down on the rio are all mucking out and moving back in for the most part....our house, guest casitas shop and storage are all clean and ready to be occupied so we'll be residents once again really soon.....bart's jungla as well as scotties el candil continue to feed and provide beverages to the population.....just a bunch of resilient folks living life down there!

tiotomasbcs - 11-6-2012 at 11:27 AM

Good news, Amigo. Lots of work cleaning up the water and mud but worth it to live in beautiful Mulege! And plenty of Compadres to share a cold one. Good luck. Tio
 Pages:  1    3