BajaNomad

Why so much white space on the left and right margins?

Hook - 10-24-2012 at 10:03 PM

Maybe it's just me or my computer but I can never remember having so much empty white space in the left and right margins of the thread listings and the individual threads. Enlarging the text is no help; it maintains the same L/R margins and just forces lots more scrolling to read the same amount of text.

Has something changed in the last few months? I was not on the board much in August and September and early Oct.

If not, why all the white space, anyway?

BajaNomad - 10-24-2012 at 10:30 PM

Do you have a new computer monitor, or running at a higher resolution setting?

The width of the content area is the same as always.

:)

way narrower too

John M - 10-25-2012 at 04:55 AM

Mine displays much narrower also and the font is smaller. Other sites are same as yesterday.

John M

vandy - 10-25-2012 at 05:09 AM

Running Firefox, press "CONTROL" and "+" at the same time to enlarge the whole area.
It fills the screen and makes it easy to read for you bats out there.

I don't know if that works with Internet Exploder.

control and "+"

John M - 10-25-2012 at 05:43 AM

works on I.E. also - it fixed my display - thanks.

woody with a view - 10-25-2012 at 05:49 AM

it is due to our narrow mindedness. you know, only thinking about Baja and such....:light:

Hook - 10-25-2012 at 06:10 AM

I'm running the lastest version of Firefox. 16.0.x Control + only makes the text larger, vertically. No change horizontally. Exact same margins as I hit control +.

I just relaunched Chrome and there is much less white space in the margins. Control + spreads the pages horizontally and vertically where I can just about fill my monitor, the way most other discussion boards are.

So, it must be some setting in this new version of Firefox I am running. I'll look around.

My monitor is an HD type monitor. I am running it at something like 1440 x 900.

Hook - 10-25-2012 at 06:15 AM

Found it quickly.

Under the View pull down menu, Zoom submenu, the default setting is apparently Zoom Text Only. I unchecked that and control + now spreads everything vert and horiz.

Thanks for the suggestions.

thebajarunner - 10-25-2012 at 08:10 AM

I thought it was to make margin notes on eloquent posts (of mine, of course)

:lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 10-25-2012 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Capt. Hook

Why so much white space on the left and right margins?

Your eyes are drawing together toward the center of your nose and becoming beady.
Hold down the ctrl key and scroll your mouse. The empty space will fill up and life will again be good.

Ohhh...never mind. I see you fixed it.

[Edited on 10-25-2012 by DENNIS]

Skipjack Joe - 12-1-2012 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Found it quickly.

Under the View pull down menu, Zoom submenu, the default setting is apparently Zoom Text Only. I unchecked that and control + now spreads everything vert and horiz.

Thanks for the suggestions.

This is not a very good solution either. When you zoom in with the text only unchecked all of the images lose their sharpness. The post reply button at the bottom looks fuzzy in the manner it would look without your glasses.

I posted a picture of a mushroom recently and couldn't figure out why it had lost it's sharpness. I downsized it and it still looked a bit fuzzy. Finally it hit me.

So if you have a hard time reading the text in nomads you should zoom in on only the text. The writing will become larger and the picture will remain clear. The white margin size is controlled by Doug's software.

Ateo - 12-1-2012 at 11:14 AM

Just post a huge photo and that'll fill the screen. Something over 1024 X 680..............:lol: