BajaNomad

Roseta stone?

brewer - 11-1-2012 at 12:36 PM

Is it worth it? Do you get anything out of it?

Thanks.

Lee - 11-1-2012 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer

Thanks.

Totally worth it. Buy it now.

QUETZALCOATL - 11-1-2012 at 01:59 PM

I just finished levels 1-5,its kinda pricey but now I can understand every thing. However I dont speak it unless I have to cause I sound like a "Spanish Forest Gump". I highly recommend it and this is coming from a guy who's wife is from Mexico,kids are fluent and lived in Baja for seven years. I wasn't smart enough to learn Spanish w/o R.O. There is another system some say is better called "Pimsleur" but I went with the Roseta stone and it worked .Oh, some say you can't switch from one computer to another with Roseta stone. I was able to and the 1 time I had a problem the customer service was prompt and helped correct the problem.Good luck, hoped I helped some.

thebajarunner - 11-1-2012 at 02:04 PM

Curious?? How "expensive" is "kinda pricey"?
thx

KASHEYDOG - 11-1-2012 at 02:22 PM

Around $500 us for level 1&2. I noticed Costco had some the other day but I didn't notice the price or the levels of lessons

QUETZALCOATL - 11-1-2012 at 02:28 PM

I got 1-5 for around 500.00 USD about 6 months ago on the Roseta site. Thinking about selling it, but then again I might do it all again to see if I can get better-then sell.

jbcoug - 11-1-2012 at 03:03 PM

I found Rosetta Stone to be useful, but it takes a lot of computer time and a lot of memorizing. I also found I could understand more, but had difficulty speaking much. I found my copy on Craigslist at about half price. I'm working on Pimsleur now and find it much easier and much cheaper. I also found I felt much more comfortable talking after working with Pimsleur.
Just my two centavos.

John

ncampion - 11-1-2012 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QUETZALCOATL
I got 1-5 for around 500.00 USD about 6 months ago on the Roseta site. Thinking about selling it, but then again I might do it all again to see if I can get better-then sell.

Be careful about buying a "used" copy. They only allow it to be load on 2 computers, so if you buy a used copy you can only use it on 1 computer assuming the first owner only loaded it on one.

Lee - 11-1-2012 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
I found Rosetta Stone to be useful, but it takes a lot of computer time and a lot of memorizing. I also found I could understand more, but had difficulty speaking much. I found my copy on Craigslist at about half price. I'm working on Pimsleur now and find it much easier and much cheaper. I also found I felt much more comfortable talking after working with Pimsleur.
Just my two centavos.

John

Are you writing that Pimsleur doesn't take as much computer time as RS?

How is Pimsleur easier? Why is it more comfortable to speak now?

BajaBlanca - 11-1-2012 at 05:15 PM

I loved rosetta stone. I used it for Italian and for Polish and I learned so much that the 1st time we went to Poland, I could understand 75%. Two years later, when we went again, I could understand 95%.

When we went to Italy, I was able to converse in basic Italian and it was fun. I think the speaking comes with time practicing. I was really happy being able to understand what people were saying.

My husband Les did Rosetta with Spanish and within 2 weeks, he was speaking more than he had in a whole year. and he could understand so much more as well, it was like night and day.

I did pimsleur for Polish and altho one does speak more, I was not as impressed with it as with Rosetta.

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by BajaBlanca]

jbcoug - 11-1-2012 at 07:31 PM

Lee,

Pimsleur is not a computer program. It is audio that you listen to for 30 minutes a day. Basically you listen and repeat. It sounds boring but really isn't. It's a pretty intuitive method based on using repetitions of words in different conversations. After doing Roseta for a while I had quite a vocabulary, but wasn't comfortable speaking. Pimsleur is way more useful to me in putting together useful conversations or questions. I got way more out of Pimsleur per thirty minute sessions than I did from Roseta.

John

Zapotec - 11-1-2012 at 09:23 PM

I have many friends who have used Rosetta Stone, and they loved it.

QUETZALCOATL - 11-2-2012 at 05:11 AM

You can load Rosetta stone onto more then 2 computers -you just have to call the customer service, I loaded mine onto three-they helped reactivate on the third-no questions asked.

Lee - 11-2-2012 at 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
Lee,

Pimsleur is not a computer program. It is audio that you listen to for 30 minutes a day. Basically you listen and repeat. It sounds boring but really isn't. It's a pretty intuitive method based on using repetitions of words in different conversations. After doing Roseta for a while I had quite a vocabulary, but wasn't comfortable speaking. Pimsleur is way more useful to me in putting together useful conversations or questions. I got way more out of Pimsleur per thirty minute sessions than I did from Roseta.

John

Thanks John. Now I get it. I didn't know Pimsleur was CD's only. I started with CD's (different program) years ago and they worked OK. I admit that extensive computer time is needed with RS. I don't mind the time as, for me, visual memory is important along with speaking during the lessons.

In your case, verbal repetition alone has given you confidence to speak more, so, congratulations on that and keep up with the lessons.

Alan - 11-2-2012 at 07:44 AM

I'm happy others have been successful with RS but it just wasn't really helpful for me. It was okay to learn a few nouns in the beginning but all of a sudden I got to a point and it just left me in the dust because there is no translation. A friend gave me some audio CD's by Micheal Thomas which have been much more effective for me. While RS startss with nouns, this program starts with verbs. Ie; I want I need, I have, etc. It seems easier and more effective to me to convey my thought and then just fill in the noun. They start by saying the sentence in English and then say it in Spanish. Once you get the hang of it. They say the phrase in English, you repeat it in Spanish and then iot provides the correct answer. Just beginning but so far I like it much better.

QUETZALCOATL - 11-2-2012 at 09:58 AM

Alan-the Michel Thomas-ww2 veteran?

BajaBlanca - 11-2-2012 at 10:32 AM

and I believe all this has to do with how one learns...there are different learning styles

some read better - have to see it on order to comprehend
others simply can hear it and comprehend
others must write it down to comprehend
and others simply blurt out something remotely close to the object language and eventually learn it this way

my adopted Brazilian son started learning English at age 9 by coloring the objects in a book with the names of the words next to it. It worked so well for him.

all methods are valid. As a veteran Englsih as a foreign language teacher for 30 years - the students that learn the quickest are those who simply speak speak speak with little regard to whether it is gramatically correct or not. but you gotta be real courageous to do that !

Pescador - 11-2-2012 at 12:05 PM

I did not really care for Rosetta Stone but found that Learning Spanish Like Crazy level 1-3 was much more effective at getting to conversational Spanish. It is certainly much less expensive than Rosetta Stone but the results of everyone I know who has tried it has been very good.

http://www.learningspanishlikecrazy.com

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by Pescador]

brewer - 11-2-2012 at 01:35 PM

So buying Roseta stone off Craigslist level 1-5 for $65.00 is probably a scam?

DENNIS - 11-2-2012 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
So buying Roseta stone off Craigslist level 1-5 for $65.00 is probably a scam?

It's probably a copy in which case you probably won't get the work book along with it.

David K - 11-2-2012 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I did not really care for Rosetta Stone but found that Learning Spanish Like Crazy level 1-3 was much more effective at getting to conversational Spanish. It is certainly much less expensive than Rosetta Stone but the results of everyone I know who has tried it has been very good.

http://www.learningspanishlikecrazy.com

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by Pescador]

Just looked at the site... only talks about what you get for free... what's the catch? Thank you!

DENNIS - 11-2-2012 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just looked at the site... only talks about what you get for free... what's the catch? Thank you!

Click on the BUY NOW link next to the standing lady.
It ain't free.

vandenberg - 11-2-2012 at 02:31 PM

$ 247.00
Hardly free or even cheap.:P:biggrin:

Alan - 11-2-2012 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Alan-the Michel Thomas-ww2 veteran?
Maybe? I have no idea.

ncampion - 11-2-2012 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
You can load Rosetta stone onto more then 2 computers -you just have to call the customer service, I loaded mine onto three-they helped reactivate on the third-no questions asked.

They must have changed their policy. About three years ago I bough RS 1 & 2 loaded it on both my desktop and laptop, then had to reformat my laptop due to problems and had to beg and plead with RS to let me re-load it on the laptop. After much talking and pleading they finally gave me another authorization number, but I got the feeling that they were not happy about it. Glad they changed this policy, I hate restrictive license policies.

Pescador - 11-2-2012 at 06:47 PM

Okay, David, I went back and checked the site. Sorry about that. There are three levels of conversational Spanish with native speakers. I used the recordings and practiced every morning while walking. I could usually do two lessons and then when I thought I really had the lessons mastered, I moved on to the next one. The levels increased through level three which is pretty advanced. I have had complete novices go through this program and get conversationally fluent in a very short time.

They also developed a program called Verberator which is a download to your computer that allows you to practice conjugating verbs. It is the coolest thing I have ever seen for getting verbs correct.

It took me a couple of years to completely get through all of the levels but I as well as a lot of my Mexican friends consider me to be fluent and I find that most conversations are easy to follow and keep up with the flow of conversation.

After a couple of levels of Rosetta Stone, I had some vocabulary but did not have the conversational edge that was important for me. For exercise purposes I walked around the lake at my house in Colorado and it took me just over an hour to do that and that gave me about two lessons a day. Some of the fishermen used to look at me a little funny as I was having great conversations that had no relationship to fishing or anything going on in their world but I think they figured it out when they saw the headphones.

I still do touchup occasionally now, even though I am immersed in Spanish every day, but it does help to keep the edge.

http://www.learninglikecrazy.com/

Ken Cooke - 11-2-2012 at 07:22 PM

Other options include taking a course at your local community college and even hiring a tutor to assist you with pronunciation and conversation. $500 is a very steep price to pay for language acquisition.

plumkell - 11-7-2012 at 12:43 PM

I am using Rosetta Stone right now and I am amazed at how well it works. I bought mine on eBay, level 1 & 2 for $89. Buying through eBay gives you some protection against fraud like you might experience on Craigslist.

DENNIS - 11-7-2012 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plumkell
I am using Rosetta Stone right now and I am amazed at how well it works. I bought mine on eBay, level 1 & 2 for $89. Buying through eBay gives you some protection against fraud like you might experience on Craigslist.

Did you get the workbook with that? 89 bucks is dirt cheap so I'm wondering if it's a knock-off [not that it matters to me] in which case you may not get the printed material.

plumkell - 11-7-2012 at 03:01 PM

No workbook but the discs are original. I have seen workbooks on Ebay too.

willardguy - 11-7-2012 at 03:03 PM

plumkell what is your level of spanish speaking going into this?

DENNIS - 11-7-2012 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
the discs are original.

How do you know that? I'm looking at one right now and I'm pretty sure a label maker could replicate it with ease.

Like I said....I really don't care. I'm just curious.

Bajachillin - 11-7-2012 at 04:46 PM

Check out http://livemocha.com/
Looks to be similar to RS but online and free. Only drawback for some will be that you have to be online.

CortezBlue - 11-8-2012 at 07:29 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

It is pricey, but, it is designed much like teaching a child. If you are old enough to move and click a mouse, you can learn a new language.

It has many options to use a microphone to pronounce words correctly, however you don't have to use it if you just want to quietly learn your new language.

I recommend it

plumkell - 11-8-2012 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
plumkell what is your level of spanish speaking going into this?

I am a beginner but already knew a little basic travel Spanish. I could ask for the bathroom and get a beer. :tumble:

plumkell - 11-8-2012 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
the discs are original.

How do you know that? I'm looking at one right now and I'm pretty sure a label maker could replicate it with ease.

Like I said....I really don't care. I'm just curious.

I wouldn't think you could copy their disc but I don't know for sure. You only get to register it on two computers regardless. I don't worry when buying through eBay because if someone does scam me, they will refund my money.

racingron - 11-8-2012 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajachillin
Check out http://livemocha.com/
Looks to be similar to RS but online and free. Only drawback for some will be that you have to be online.

Only first two or so lessons are free - then you need to buy "tokens". Still seems like a good value though.

spanish lession

captkw - 11-8-2012 at 03:49 PM

Or you hang with the locals in mexico !! your bound to learn !! I try and learn at least 1 (one) word a day !! I get complimented all the time on my spanish and never had any "schooling/course" just the desire to learn and practice !! now I just have to learn to write better in both !!:lol: K&T:cool:

[Edited on 11-8-2012 by captkw]

QUETZALCOATL - 11-8-2012 at 04:09 PM

Odd that this post came up again -I had just posted my RS 1-5 on craigslist for 250$ and came here to see what my compadres on Nomad were up to, not sure if this is cool to post but I will be in Cabo area mid Dec to mid Jan if any1 wants to buy it-heck I'll even set it up on their comp for them. Have a great night.

woody with a view - 9-13-2013 at 04:58 AM

FWIW, i had a copy a few years ago that worked flawlessly. no workbook came with it, just put it in the computer and start speaking spanglish. i'd say it's worth $65.

elizabeth - 9-13-2013 at 06:47 AM

Livemocha, which is a pretty good site, has a special. The full 1-5 Rosetta Stone for $199.

BajaBlanca - 9-13-2013 at 11:04 AM

Maybe you all know about it, but there is a school in La Paz that teaches Spanish too. I have heard from guests that it is a good program. It is called Se Habla. I don't have contact info, but surely you can track it down online.

dasubergeek - 9-13-2013 at 01:13 PM

There's a Rosetta Stone-copycat site out there called DuoLingo. You can use it on your smartphone, tablet or computer. It costs zero dollars. I'm using it for Portuguese.

http://www.duolingo.com

Lee - 9-13-2013 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Maybe you all know about it, but there is a school in La Paz that teaches Spanish too. I have heard from guests that it is a good program. It is called Se Habla. I don't have contact info, but surely you can track it down online.

http://www.sehablalapaz.com

I've studied at Se Habla over the years. Stayed here http://www.tuscanybaja.com last Spring while studying at Se Habla. Tuscany is a block off the Malecon, and a block from La Fonda. 10 minute drive down the Malecon to class.

http://learningspanishlikecrazy.com

Haven't bought the lessons from this group and if you get on their mailing list, they'll send free Spanish emails with lots of stuff to learn.

Rosetta Stone is good and have gotten a lot from the course. See, hear, speak it's a great course.

Nothing beats 1 of 1 with a great instructor, though.

pacificobob - 6-19-2017 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Other options include taking a course at your local community college and even hiring a tutor to assist you with pronunciation and conversation. $500 is a very steep price to pay for language acquisition.

in my opinion $500 is cheap to learn another language. i have many gringo friends who consistently pay too much for good and services due to a lack of spanish. that being said, i am not endorsing RS. like another poster stated, it depends how you learn. i need a more structured, "nuts and bolts" learning method. or the ol' tried and true horizontal method....in bed.

Tbone - 6-20-2017 at 06:42 AM

I bought Living Language Spanish, Complete Edition Audio CD – Unabridged from Amazon for $28.50. It received 4.5 stars from 586 customer reviews. I just pop one of the nine CDs into my CD player and repeat words in Spanish on the way to work and back.

I'm not going to go into all the details now, but I think this is something worth looking into.

Mulege Canuck - 6-20-2017 at 06:42 AM

Duolingo is free. Combinrped with Google translator, it is great.

basautter - 6-21-2017 at 07:18 PM

Great product, fantastic customer service!

Alm - 7-6-2017 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Great product, fantastic customer service!

Rosetta? Not sure. I tried Duolingo (see below), and if Duo is a copy-cat of Rosetta Stone, then RS isn't worth much.

As Pescador noted (who I know for sure is quite fluent now), Rosetta Stone won't get you to where you want - that is, conversational skills. His findings are not unique.

RS will give you vocabulary. I understand (without trying this program though) that their concept is to teach adults in the same way you teach children - showing a picture and naming objects on it. Yes, with phrases, but what's the use if you can't understand it. This doesn't work. Adult brain needs understanding the rules and a lot of practice.

What does work?- it depends. Some already have few hundred words and basic tenses under his belt, some need unstructured studies, some need a push - a school.

I started with free DVD copies (Standard Deviants Spanish) where they teach both vocabulary and grammar and make it fun - you you memorize better when it's fun. RS gives you vocabulary, but from what I hear, the way they give it makes it difficult to absorb.

Then printed out a couple of free grammar guides and flash-cards - because you do need to understand grammar rules before you memorize them. RS won't give you this (or they explain Spanish in Spanish, which again doesn't work).

Then downloaded a couple of free audio podcasts where they give both vocabulary and grammar, explaining it in English when necessary. One was simple for starters:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/learn-to-speak-spanish-w...
Another one was more advanced:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/coffee-break-spanish/id2... This guy Mark is a talent. Print of his "numbers" page (somewhere on BBC languages, don't remember) helped me to learn the numbers once and for all. His another pack of pods is Showtime Spanish: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/show-time-spanish/id2921...

Download and listen when walking around the lake ;), or at down-time at work. The lack of graphic context is more than compensated with real-life situations, you can almost see what they are talking about. Pods are free, transcripts are not, but I didn't feel like needing transcripts at that point already.

Then it stalled at the level of a 6-year old child - can talk some, can understand some, and that's it. Need practice. Now listening to free video pods from spanishdict.com - for more practice again. Download from Yutube spanishdict.com lesson 1.1, 2.1 etc. They go from 1.1 to 5.20 or something.

Audio and video pods mentioned above, are free, entertaining, easy to listen, and full of real-life situations.

Duolingo I tried and found it utterly useless. Typing is not the skill-set that you want, their vocabulary is plugged into meaningless phrases like "big dogs eat rice", and they don't explain much grammar. At this age you can't memorize when you don't understand or when the phrase doesn't make sense.

Edit-PS: incomplete list of audio and video pods with some that I mentioned. What they said - download pods onto your smartphone and fit into your schedule:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...

[Edited on 7-6-2017 by Alm]