BajaNomad

Matomi Narrows, Photos Added, Thxs Ken C.

El Comadante Loco - 11-20-2012 at 01:27 PM

Narrows Ride

On Friday Nov 16th we rode quads to check the closure of the narrows. We entered the narrows of Hyw 5 around K60.
The road was rough with many of large rocks and whoops. We took our time and enjoyed scenery which was as spectacular as ever. Just before, as we approached the narrows the terrain got rougher and we encountered our first obstacle field of larger rocks and debris blocking our path. No problems on the quads once we moved some of the larger rocks out of the way. We were able to advance about 1/4 to 1/2 mile when we ran into the complete blockage by huge boulders. There was no way to attempt getting through without lifting the quads over the boulders. Confronted with this blockage we got off the quads and took a short hike up the narrows only to find 3 more impassable areas. Now if you have a rock crawler you could make it through.
Well there will be no more Baja 500 or San Felipe 250 that will come down the narrows.

It was awesome to see the extent of the blockages and makes you appreciate the power of mother nature to move such large objects. I can only image the power and speed of water moving through the narrows. At least I can say I was privileged to have had the experience to have ridden though the narrows.

Took some photos and will post them as soon as I learn how to do it.. Here is my crude attempt to attach a photo not sure if it will come out or not

El Comandante Loco

[Edited on 11-21-2012 by El Comadante Loco]

El Comadante Loco - 11-20-2012 at 01:29 PM

Sorry for the double post.. I guess the photo did not come out. Just figured out how to delete the double post, done

[Edited on 11-20-2012 by El Comadante Loco]

Cypress - 11-20-2012 at 01:47 PM

Jeez! Are you saying that somebody is gonna have to "Walk" to get there?:D They won't be able to drive right up, get out, take pictures and punch their Baja cards? What the heck! Life can be hard sometimes.:o

Neal Johns - 11-20-2012 at 02:37 PM

It is easy to bypass the Narrows, Just find Valle Chico and go south. :lol::lol::lol:

Barry A. - 11-20-2012 at 03:44 PM

There is a fairly easy way to get around the Matomi Narrows, as I am sure most of you know, but for those that don't, you simply have to cross the mountains a few miles north of the Matomi, thru a canyon that runs east & west from near the old Apache Sulfur mine on the east end of Canyon Parral (smetimes knows as "Azufre"), running west thru the Parral canyon to Valle Chico. In the past this was a very easy trail to use, easily passable by 2-wheel drive pickup, but I have not been over it for years and it may also be blocked now, but I doubt it as there really were no places that I remember that were even tricky.

Barry

Some Maps to Matomi

David K - 11-20-2012 at 05:49 PM

Udo - 11-20-2012 at 05:55 PM

Gracias, DK!

At least some of us are now able to enjoy the post, rather than guessing where the narrows are.

David K - 11-20-2012 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Gracias, DK!

At least some of us are now able to enjoy the post, rather than guessing where the narrows are.

On my 1988 map, I wrote 'Difficult Passage' at the narrows, as the bare rocks were exposed in the years before. Next big chubasco could cover them up with sand once again!

Here are my photos driving up to Matomi from Hwy. 5 and through the narrows (in 2006), start here:

http://vivabaja.com/618/page4.html

Ken Cooke - 11-20-2012 at 09:54 PM

Ken Cooke - 11-20-2012 at 09:55 PM

These rocks look like the ones on the Pole Line Road

Ken Cooke - 11-20-2012 at 10:00 PM

Ken Cooke - 11-20-2012 at 10:05 PM

Ken Cooke - 11-20-2012 at 10:45 PM

In my opinion, Mother Nature will send sand and mud through the narrows, partially covering the rocks that are now placed there, making travel again possible in the next 3-5 years.

With a good, flexible suspension, sturdy tires and a short wheelbase vehicle with good clearance, that route can be negotiated with minimal vehicular damage. I would certainly like to check it out the next time I get down to the San Felipe area. I know the guys that run the Johnson Valley Hammers should be able to make it through - provided that the rocks aren't much worse further down the trail than those pictured in Comandante Loco's photos.

You'll definitely want a Jeep to explore on these rocks!

Ken Cooke - 11-20-2012 at 11:04 PM

near Las Vegas, NV at the Hump n' Bump event

Here's the Saavy Jeep running Falken Wildpeak ATs

Johnson Valley, CA

BAJACAT - 11-22-2012 at 02:43 PM

so much for using the wash for the 2013 PRESIDENTS DAY nomads trail ride...maybe a run to Gonzaga is in place...

Ateo - 11-22-2012 at 02:47 PM

I could totally do those narrows in my motorhome blindfolded. JK. :lol::lol::lol:

David K - 11-22-2012 at 03:34 PM

Use the sulfur mine/ Valle Chico road like we did in 2004 Prez Day Run... http://vivabaja.com/204

Bob H - 11-22-2012 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Use the sulfur mine/ Valle Chico road like we did in 2004 Prez Day Run... http://vivabaja.com/204

I can't believe it's been over 8 years since we did that run! Thanks for the memory of that trip. And, it was great to see my old dog Shelby again!!! May she rest in peace.

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2012 at 10:07 PM

I really want to take some Jeeps through the Matomi Narrows. I guess the event is being changed into a drive down to Gonzaga Bay? I'll have to find a friend w/a Jeep and hit the trail sometime in the Spring.

BAJACAT - 11-22-2012 at 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
I really want to take some Jeeps through the Matomi Narrows. I guess the event is being changed into a drive down to Gonzaga Bay? I'll have to find a friend w/a Jeep and hit the trail sometime in the Spring.
Ken we don't have a destination set at this time,Gonzaga has been a option in the past, but I think, there is alot canyons around San Felipe to discover..I want to do El Berrendo with it's blue palms, but will see...look for anew thread around the begining of January, thats if we survive Dic 21..if you know what I mean.hahaha

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2012 at 11:26 PM

Thanks, Jose. Keep us posted.

David K - 11-23-2012 at 09:41 AM

Agua Caliente Canyon (north of Berrendo) with its hot spring, hot and cool mountain streams, all in the same place, is pretty wild...

Because the ranchers (or marijuana growers) sometimes put fences across the canyon entrances, it is good to have an alternate destination... and Valle Chico has many canyons facing it to visit.

The Matomi Narrows in 2017

David K - 7-17-2018 at 05:30 PM

Unlike 2006, the sand was washed away exposing big rocks and narrowing the passage. Without another person along as a spotter or for a pull if hung up on rocks, it is best only for big tire/lifted 4x4s until the sand returns.

I get concerned when I only see motorcycle tracks.

I park and have a walk to see if there is a chance. Looking back to my truck.

It only gets worse.

The actual squeeze is really narrow with the sand level so much lower than before.

This last photo is looking back upstream at the narrowest part.

A week or two after I was here, Pappy Jon in his greatly lifted 4Runner got through. He posted some videos of that part! Listen to the crunching!

[Edited on 2-13-2019 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 7-17-2018 at 06:54 PM

That looks like a real good route! Thanks for the photos David!

JZ - 7-17-2018 at 07:19 PM

Could rip through that on our bikes easy.

Anyone have GPS coordinates?

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by JZ]

David K - 7-18-2018 at 06:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Could rip through that on our bikes easy.

Anyone have GPS coordinates?

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by JZ]

30° 29.56', -115° 0.08' would be the area of the narrows. The tiny break in the road in the arroyo, along the bottom of the map:

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by David K]

BajaRob - 7-18-2018 at 11:12 AM

We have camped at the Matomi Rancho many times. The most challenging trip was when I broke a rear trailing arm on the way out. That required a trip out to the South Campos and bringing in a 16' flatbed trailer. We had to build rock ramps to get over the boulders. Instead of noon, we hit the highway at 10 PM. Long day. Now we prefer Cajon or Diablo Canyons.

BajaRob - 7-18-2018 at 12:37 PM

We were told that other than 1 race team that no one had successfully taken a trailer through the narrows. I would not recommend it.

Ken Cooke - 7-18-2018 at 06:15 PM

My Jeep is ready

Typical Jeep owner,, parker wherever they stop

thebajarunner - 7-18-2018 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
My Jeep is ready

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ehall - 7-18-2018 at 08:40 PM

Good use for a ricer