BajaNomad

Down Baja By Mule By Eva C. Ewing (Dec. '63 to May '64)

David K - 12-3-2012 at 11:20 AM

Here is a great arrticle that appeared in the July/August 1965 edition of Pacific Discovery Magazine.

I chatted with the author (Eve Ewing) at the Discover Baja Fiesta, last Saturday and told her I had the nearly 40 year old story in my collection of Baja books and magazines...

Eve Ewing and David K on Dec. 1, 2012:

Neal Johns - 12-3-2012 at 12:12 PM

Too bad I was exploring Arizona or I would have been there, DK. I wanted to tell her we went to the geoglyph she and the late Marv Patchen found near El Marmol.

dtbushpilot - 12-3-2012 at 12:23 PM

That was great! Thanks for posting it DK..

Mexitron - 12-3-2012 at 12:51 PM

Wow, what a trip...shades of the Nelson and Goldman expedition. Thanks for digging that out of the archives! Should have known Bud Bernard and Reid Moran were both on it...

MikeYounghusband - 12-3-2012 at 04:54 PM

What a great read. Some sounds so familiar. Thanks David.

Vince - 12-3-2012 at 06:36 PM

Loved reading that, thanks, David, for posting it. I see my old friend, Bud Bernhard was hiking along with the group and not riding. All the trips I took with him, he never rode an animal, always hiked or jogged alongside us on horseback. Sometimes taking off on his own across the hills and meeting us at the next campsite.

David K - 12-3-2012 at 06:45 PM

Thank you for these great replies!

Paulina - 12-3-2012 at 08:54 PM

I am always so envious of these adventures. Thank you for sharing.

P>*)))>{

David K - 12-4-2012 at 08:23 AM

The painted cave in the article is the one discovered by Choral Pepper from the helicopter ride (it can't be seen from the canyon floor)... and named Pepper Cave by Mexico's archaeologist that Erle Stanley Gardner flew in. The magazine photo is reversed, however... Here are two of that cave from http://www.choralpepper.com

Choral Pepper

J.W. Black

The climb to get to the cave:

Photo taken by Dr. Margain from Mexico City.

David K - 3-18-2014 at 09:31 AM

Eve Ewing and other Baja ladies have recently completed a peninsula long mule ride... here is their Facebook page. Eve is second from the left:

https://www.facebook.com/LaMulaMil

David K - 9-6-2017 at 02:27 PM

With the recently (2017) published book 'The Mission Walker' by Edie Littlefield Sundby and new interest in El Camino Real in Baja California, I thought some new Nomads may enjoy a look at this 1960s magazine, again.

A reminder we have a Baja Nomad El Camino Real mule lady, as well: Baja Bucko... and not to leave out Nomad mule lady, 'Mula' either!

David K - 7-26-2020 at 04:55 PM

Mule Ladies on Slow Baja podcasts had me think of Eva Ewing (as she was mentioned by Trudi Angell).