BajaNomad

7th Annual Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive, January 19, 2013

Pages:  1  

fdt - 12-10-2012 at 10:05 PM

Yes, we will make it happen again, for the 7th year in a row. the 7th Annual Dia de Reyes Toy Drive.

As most of you know, back in 2005 both Doug (BajaNomad) and I met at a coffee shop in downtown San Diego and discussed the possibility of holding a toy drive for needy children in Baja that had not received presents for Christmas and having the (small) event on January 6th, Dia de Reyes, which is when children in México receive toys and asking for donations from nomads that could take advantage of the after the holiday specials. Well in my search for needy children (I was looking for maybe a group of 20 or 30 kids) the smallest group I found was from and impoverished area of Tijuana called Lomas Taurinas. The group had 72 children, I thought it was a lot of kids but accepted the challenge and posted the event here on the board. Well, to make a long story short, the first donor (Lori and Tommy Garcia from Team Cabo Magic) sent us toys and gifts enough for all 72 children so we looked for more kids. Some came from a school for disabled children and in total we had 112 or 114 kids, food and fun for all. You can read all about this on the threads for each year.

Now the event has grown a bit, year by year, more and more children, better and better venues. last year was amazing, having the event at El Trompo interactive museum with about 450 kids.

Somehow it always works out great, with more than enough gifts and food for all.

Well, last year, since it was going to be so big I asked for additional help from a group that helps needy families throughout the year and they did a fantastic job helping out with everything from gift wrapping to helping get the 5 buses necessary to transport the kids to el trompo.

Well, these same people have found me/us 1,500 children (Yes, fifteen hundred, one thousand five hundred) give or take a dozen or so. Wow!

The original date was set for January 6th but considering that as every year, each present has to be individually wrapped and tagged with each child's name, we have to get enough food for all, the date has been set for January 19th, a Saturday.

We have over a month to accomplish this task and I'm sure it will be done.

We lost last year a couple of sponsors, one helped us with some of the food and a couple of years provided us with the rosca de reyes, Maria Elvia Amaya de Hank (for the Punta Banda toy drive we stopped at Pueblo Amigo Hotel to pick up the roscas on the way down) And the other had come aboard for last years toy drive, Mr. Gregorio Barreto who helped us with the buses that brought the kids from the outskirts of Tijuana. RIP.

We have again, thanks to our friends at BajaBound Insurance a drop off location of were gifts or donations can be sent

The information is:
Toy Drive c/o Baja Bound Insurance Services, Inc.
750 11th Avenue #101
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

And for those interested in attending, mexicoach will once again be providing the transportation, so let me know who is coming. I assure you, it's a great experience!

if you want to send egift certificates from Toys r us, the email is fernando@ultimatebaja.com

If you want to donate toys or food bu do not know what to get or can not send it, there is a Paypal account, fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

Muchas Gracias.

Thank you so much in advance for making this Toy Drive once again possible,
Fernando Garcia y familia

[Edited on 12-11-2012 by BajaNomad]

fdt - 12-10-2012 at 10:27 PM

Here links to past years Toy Drives:
1st Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21378#pid1972...

2nd Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28406#pid2889...

3rd Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35415#pid3822...

4th Toy Drive http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42767#pid4774...

5th Toy Drive, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49503

6th Toy Drive, last year
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=56714#pid6862...

David K - 12-11-2012 at 12:25 AM

You are a good man Ferna!:bounce:

fdt - 12-11-2012 at 04:26 AM

This year we need a lot of toys. Toys of all kinds for kids from 4 to 15. Oh and lots of wrapping paper.

woody with a view - 12-11-2012 at 07:04 AM

for those of us more lazy types what do you prefer as far as egift card, paypal, etc?

I was just thinking last night when the kick off to another great toy drive was going to begin.

Ateo - 12-11-2012 at 08:16 AM

For gifts dropped off at BajaBound, I'm guessing they shouldn't be wrapped?

[Edited on 12-11-2012 by Ateo]

DENNIS - 12-11-2012 at 09:36 AM

Ferna........Count me in to do what I can. I still have a couple of good credit cards that are yelling at me to be used.
Do you have a location in mind......or did I miss that?

DENNIS - 12-11-2012 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

You bring up a good point. With new vigilance at the border, will there be a problem bringing through mass quantities of new toys?

Perhaps a gradual relocation of this merchandise should be considered.

BajaGeoff - 12-11-2012 at 10:33 AM

That is correct Ateo....they need to be unwrapped so Ferna can make sure the toys are matched with the right age/gender children.

Quote:

BajaGeoff - 12-11-2012 at 10:54 AM

It's a pretty big day for the kids! Here is a short video from a few years back:

fdt - 12-11-2012 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
for those of us more lazy types what do you prefer as far as egift card, paypal, etc?

Whatever is easier for you it would be greatly appreciated.

fdt - 12-11-2012 at 07:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, unwrapped, many of them and if possible, gift wrap and tape.
Gracias

fdt - 12-11-2012 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Ferna........Count me in to do what I can. I still have a couple of good credit cards that are yelling at me to be used.

Thank you Dennis, we need all the help we can get this time, this is HUGE!

fdt - 12-11-2012 at 07:24 PM

Quote:

Do you have a location in mind......or did I miss that?

Yes, several as a matter of fact, because of the number of children, not counting the adults that accompany them, we have been offered an empty maquiladora building, this just in case it rains but we are also looking for another location like the municipal auditorium that is by Caliente.
The ideal location would be an open air one like parque Morelos or the audiorama od El trompo or even the Tijuana Cultural Center. So I will try for the open air locations with the closed ones as back up.

fdt - 12-11-2012 at 08:00 PM

Quote:

You bring up a good point. With new vigilance at the border, will there be a problem bringing through mass quantities of new toys?

Perhaps a gradual relocation of this merchandise should be considered.

Actualy, this is the most time consuming and costly part of the event since we have to litteraly smuggle the toys down (contrabando hormiga) in small quantities.

DENNIS - 12-11-2012 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
the Tijuana Cultural Center.

My landlady, Elsa Arnaiz, is head of the Tijuana Culture department, a resume gift [as though she needs one] from the mayor. I think they grew up together.
Just thought I'd do some name dropping while the opportunity presented itself.

fdt - 12-11-2012 at 09:07 PM

yes, she's landlady of many here in baja California. nice lady but i was refering to the Tijuana Cultural center, that belongs to the federal government Cecut. Imac is the municipal one.

wilderone - 12-12-2012 at 09:37 AM

OMG - that's a huge party! I believe we can rise to the occasion. I went last year and won't forget the happy faces when they unwrapped their toy - so excited - so happy to get a toy.

Is BajaBound ready to accept donations now? With all that smuggling, should probably start early. I have several toys already and will follow-up with wrapping paper, tape and other toys.
Bless you, fdt.

DENNIS - 12-12-2012 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
i was refering to the Tijuana Cultural center, that belongs to the federal government Cecut. Imac is the municipal one.

AhhhhSooo....didn't know that. I always thought La Bola was a city project.
Thanks Ferna.

fdt - 12-12-2012 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
OMG - that's a huge party! I believe we can rise to the occasion. I went last year and won't forget the happy faces when they unwrapped their toy - so excited - so happy to get a toy.

Is BajaBound ready to accept donations now? With all that smuggling, should probably start early. I have several toys already and will follow-up with wrapping paper, tape and other toys.
Bless you, fdt.

They are ready and so are we for the covert smuggling operation!

David K - 12-12-2012 at 12:02 PM

Ferna, are there no toy stores in Tijuana where Nomads could buy gifts and then give to you, thus not violating the law or risk them be confiscated?

Maybe as an option give out the addresses of toy stores or department stores with a toy department, in Mexico... then where they can be delivered to you for the event?

I guess a lot of donations come from people in San Diego who are not crossing the border before the event?

fdt - 12-12-2012 at 12:13 PM

No, there aren't any major toy stores here and those that do carry toys here like walmart, sears, etc. have toys that are way more expensive because of the import fees.
The reason for having a drop off location in the US is to make it easier for those donating. By having people come to México and then going to a store once here would complicate it.
But thanks.

David K - 12-12-2012 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
No, there aren't any major toy stores here and those that do carry toys here like walmart, sears, etc. have toys that are way more expensive because of the import fees.
The reason for having a drop off location in the US is to make it easier for those donating. By having people come to México and then going to a store once here would complicate it.
But thanks.

Okay, sure... makes sense... and it has worked so well so far!

fdt - 12-12-2012 at 03:41 PM

With the number of children we have for this years event, in food alone it will be a lot.
Well, the first donnor for the toy drive has offered to provide all the meat necesary for preparing the tamales. That is a big help since we have to consider that all these kids come accompanied by adults and everyone has always been fed.
his could grow to 2000 :wow:

DENNIS - 12-12-2012 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Well, the first donnor for the toy drive has offered to provide all the meat necesary for preparing the tamales.

What type of meat? :lol:

Where are these to be cooked? On site?

[Edited on 12-12-2012 by DENNIS]

fdt - 12-12-2012 at 05:22 PM

beef meat.
no, they would not be cooked there at the venue. They would be cooked by the same lady that has always done them before for us, along with a bunch of volunteers this time.

bajagrouper - 12-12-2012 at 07:26 PM

Wonderful job, I'm involved with something similar here in Nayarit, but I have to ask why did you changed the date from the Three Kings Traditional Holiday of Jan6th to the 19th.?

bajagrouper - 12-12-2012 at 07:26 PM

Wonderful job, I'm involved with something similar here in Nayarit, but I have to ask why did you changed the date from the Three Kings Traditional Holiday of Jan6th to the 19th.?

fdt - 12-13-2012 at 05:04 AM

thank you bajagrouper;
Dia de Reyes is in fact celebrated on jan 6 and that is when we held the 1st Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive, wich was on a saturday. The 2nd baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive was also on jan 6, a sunday.
It was then complicated to continue for the next consecutive years beeing that jan 6 would not fall on a weekend thus not permiting many of the nomads, volunteers and others to participate in this wonderful event, so the third event was on jan 4, the closest possible to jan 6 that we could have and still make it on a weekend. This complicated things a lot more because now we had less time for gifts to arrive.
As the event grew more and more each year we, sponsors included, were in agreement to hold it a week later to allow for toys to arrive with enough time and have it on a weekend.
Well for this comming event the original date was for precisely jan 6th, a saturday and for quite sometime it was contemplated that way. Some people had their calendars already marked, until........ the number of children grew to 1,500, more than 10 times the number of children we had for the first event and about 100 times more than we discussed in 2005 when we thought of having the first event.
So, with all this taken into consideration, the desicion was made to move it to january 19th, a saturday.
Yes, again, Dia de Reyes in on january 6th but thruought México it is also celebrated on diferent days, depending on the needs or availability of venues. if you were to google fiesta de dia de reyes, the word fiesta beeing the key word, you will find that most of them are on a weekend, either before or after the 6th.
Saludos
Fernando

fdt - 12-13-2012 at 06:52 PM

Thank you so much, the first batch of toys, about 10, arrived today at BajaBound Insurance.
We need a whole lot more.
Thank you

Ateo - 12-13-2012 at 07:07 PM

I'll be dropping off at BajaBound a few days after Christmas on my way south - if I have room in my truck. If not, I'll swing by in early January.

[Edited on 12-14-2012 by Ateo]

fdt - 12-14-2012 at 07:43 AM

Muchas gracias Ateo

fdt - 12-14-2012 at 10:17 AM

We have many, many, many children for this years toy drive. We need a lot of help.
Gracias
Fernando

fdt - 12-14-2012 at 01:33 PM

You can either drop off or ship toys to BajaBound Insurance in San Diego
The information is:
750 11th Avenue #101
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

We also have a paypal account fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

Thank you so much

fdt - 12-15-2012 at 03:18 AM

Please, we need a lot of toys this year.

woody with a view - 12-15-2012 at 10:47 AM

check paypal.

fdt - 12-16-2012 at 02:44 AM

Thank you so much Woody :yes:

fdt - 12-16-2012 at 12:51 PM

:bounce: Bump

woody with a view - 12-16-2012 at 02:01 PM

Always! This is the only charity we give to besides WiLDCOAST!

Retireded - 12-16-2012 at 11:48 PM

When we left Wa to come to Ensenada, I could not decide which guitar to bring so I brought them both. I have since decided to keep my 12 string and seek out a child with a sincere desire to learn and without the means to acquire a guitar. This has a small hole in the side which has NO effect on playability and has a great sound to it. Perhaps someone here knows such a child?

fdt - 12-17-2012 at 01:34 AM

The guitar is very welcome. Are you in Ensenada?

Retireded - 12-17-2012 at 04:28 AM

Nearby, El Sauzal. In Chula Vista
'til later today, Leaving hospital around noon home in Sauzal this evening. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

fdt - 12-17-2012 at 10:43 AM

Great and thank you so much. I won't be in Chula Vista nor in El Sauzal today but maybe I can meet you on the way down were ever it's convenient for you in Tijuana.

Retireded - 12-17-2012 at 11:36 AM

It'll have to be another day. Guitar is in Sauzal and I'm in Chula Vista. I'll be happy to see it put to good use. Playing an instrument can make a huge difference in a young life. I know from first hand edperience.

fdt - 12-17-2012 at 12:02 PM

Ok, great.
Muchas gracias

fdt - 12-17-2012 at 05:39 PM

Toys R Us has many clearance toys with great savings

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3999922&a...

BajaNomad - 12-17-2012 at 11:28 PM

Do we have any idea of the #'s of kids in different age ranges at this point?

Thx.

fdt - 12-18-2012 at 07:28 AM

All ages, from 3 to 15. The list is beeing completed at this time.
Up to now we are at 1,200.
Bicyles, balls, cars, dolls, all is welcome. We need a lot!
There is also a paypal acct. fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

Retireded - 12-18-2012 at 10:43 AM

If there is anything we can do to help with this event, Sauzal is not far from TJ and we are retired and so have lots of time on our hands. My wife, Merry, is somewhat limited in mobility most of he time, but would be willing to do what she can. She is also somewhat fluent in spanish. My own mobility should be much closer to normal in about a week. Let me know. u2u works or ejw1047@aol.com :)

fdt - 12-20-2012 at 12:59 AM

Thank you Retireded. Well, the way to help the most is by donating toys, next to that, by joining us on january 19th for th toy drive. It's a unique experience. And maybe, with so many presents, we might have a wrapping party.
Thank you so much.
saludos
Fernando

fdt - 12-20-2012 at 04:27 PM

We have only 30 days left, with your help this will be a great event!

BajaGeoff - 12-20-2012 at 04:29 PM

This is going to be a huge undertaking...but I know the Nomads can do it!

fdt - 12-20-2012 at 11:46 PM

A little over 7 years ago we were thinking maybe 20 to 30 children.
Wow, because of Baja Nomads this year it's at 1,500 children.
Thank you!

fdt - 12-21-2012 at 09:42 AM

Soccer, volley and basket balls are always well received by kids.

wilderone - 12-21-2012 at 10:06 AM

This will be a day to remember for the kids - what a party! I've found a lot of great deals already. Don't wait until later - that's 1000+ gift to wrap!

fdt - 12-21-2012 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Don't wait until later - that's 1000+ gift to wrap!

And some are hard to wrap ;D

fdt - 12-21-2012 at 12:14 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

BajaGeoff - 12-21-2012 at 02:10 PM

WOW!

Big delivery today from a Baja Nomad Secret Santa! We had about 100 toys show up an hour ago! Go Nomads!

BajaGeoff - 12-21-2012 at 05:22 PM

I think we should have a Baja Nomad wrapping party down in Tijuana. That way Ferna and his family do not have to spend a week wrapping all the gifts. A sizable crew of Nomads could get it done in a day and make this process a whole lot easier. Maybe the weekend of January 12th-13th? Who is in?

David K - 12-21-2012 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Don't wait until later - that's 1000+ gift to wrap!

And some are hard to wrap ;D

Classic! Thanks Ferna, that was so good... :bounce::lol:

fdt - 12-22-2012 at 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
WOW!

Big delivery today from a Baja Nomad Secret Santa! We had about 100 toys show up an hour ago! Go Nomads!

Great news. Keep 'em coming :bounce:

fdt - 12-22-2012 at 01:51 AM

Quote:
I think we should have a Baja Nomad wrapping party down in Tijuana.

Who is in?

Actualy I was going to annnounce this, just hav'nt gotten the date set nor the tequila and taco sponsor ;D

I'll post it as soon as I have it

DENNIS - 12-22-2012 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

the tequila and taco sponsor ;D

I'll cover that, Ferna. Spare no expenses and give me a number.

[Edited on 12-22-2012 by DENNIS]

BajaNomad - 12-22-2012 at 05:53 PM

Without coordinating this with FDT, I went ahead and created a Facebook page for this event in order to help with visibility.

I'm still reeling over there being 1500 kids this year....

Would appreciate Nomads here doing one - or both - of the following:

1. Please "like" this page (link below).

2. If you feel so inclined, the request would be to "share" this page with your friends list on your own timeline. The visibility alone by doing so is a great gift for this event and these kids and their families.

Thank you for your consideration of the above.

The page is at:

http://www.facebook.com/DiaDeReyesToyDrive

btw... I've uploaded many of the photos that I could find from each of the previous events to the albums there. If I've used any unauthorized pics that need to be removed, please contact me privately and I will do so.

Thank you again.

Regards,
-
Doug

David K - 12-22-2012 at 06:14 PM

DONE!

BajaNomad - 12-22-2012 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
DONE!

Thank you. :)

fdt - 12-23-2012 at 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
I went ahead and created a Facebook page for this event in order to help with visibility.

Regards,
-
Doug

Mil gracias Doug

Ken Cooke - 12-23-2012 at 10:56 AM

Leidys just gave me the "okay" to be part of this event. I'll bring the Handicam and this will be posted to YouTube just like last year.

fdt - 12-24-2012 at 08:54 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing you both again y mil gracias por los videos mi amigo.

Ken Cooke - 12-24-2012 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I'm looking forward to seeing you both again y mil gracias por los videos mi amigo.

Just me this time. Leidys and I are dealing with the USCIS at the moment on some paperwork matters.

fdt - 12-25-2012 at 05:53 AM

Feliz Navidad to all :yes:

DENNIS - 12-25-2012 at 07:30 AM

And, a big Merry Christmas to you, Ferna. You are indeed a good person for all your heartfelt efforts.

Send me a U2U about the wrapping party expenses, when you have time.

fdt - 12-26-2012 at 10:40 AM

Thank you Dennis. I sent you a U2U

BajaNomad - 12-26-2012 at 12:58 PM

Please be on the lookout for after-Christmas sales with specials on toys.

Thank you for keeping this event - and these children - in mind during this shopping discount time.

;)

BajaGeoff - 12-26-2012 at 02:30 PM

200 soccer balls were delivered to the Baja Bound office today! We are going to need a bigger office!

fdt - 12-26-2012 at 03:00 PM

I need to get more hormigas for the contraband ;)

BajaNomad - 12-26-2012 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
200 soccer balls were delivered to the Baja Bound office today! We are going to need a bigger office!

That wouldn't happen to be a good photo opportunity, would it?

:biggrin:

BajaGeoff - 12-26-2012 at 03:13 PM

Hehe...they are deflated and were shipped in 4 large boxes, so not as fun as the image of 200 balls rolling around the office!

fdt - 12-26-2012 at 04:45 PM

The after christmas sales have started

http://www.toysrus.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=3999911...

fdt - 12-26-2012 at 09:22 PM

We need a lot of toys :bounce::bounce::bounce:

fdt - 12-28-2012 at 01:10 PM

I picked up a shipment of 200 soccer balls and about 50 toys from BajaBound yesterday. Thank you.
We still need many more toys to meet our goal of 1,500. The sales on toys have started at toy stores and department stores. Please help,
Gracias

fdt - 12-28-2012 at 03:12 PM

We need a lot of help this year with the toy drive so we've also set up a paypal acct fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com
gracias

BajaNomad - 12-28-2012 at 03:58 PM

Just forwarded you an email of note. Please see your inbox. Thx.

fdt - 12-29-2012 at 04:26 AM

Got it, thanks

fdt - 12-29-2012 at 11:01 AM

Gracias BajaSedoso

fdt - 12-29-2012 at 11:03 AM

Thank you Larry and Duane

woody with a view - 12-29-2012 at 11:03 AM

cmon folks. $20 isn't gonna hurt, but more is better! just think how much that would add up to if everyone who visits this site for a day could make a donation?

give back to the causes that help the most!

fdt - 12-29-2012 at 01:37 PM

Cabo Magic, Gracias

fdt - 12-31-2012 at 10:18 AM

The smuggling operation is going well but we need a whole lot more toys than what we have at the moment. The goal is 1,500 children. The address to send toys and donations to is:

750 11th Avenue #101
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone (619) 702-4292

If you can not send toy donations and would still like to contribute, the Paypal acct is fernando@vivabajacalifornia.com

Muchas Gracias

fdt - 12-31-2012 at 11:31 AM

e-gift cards are great also.

BajaGeoff - 12-31-2012 at 01:14 PM

Another small batch of toys arrived today along with some wrapping paper. Baja Bound also went to the Mattel store in TJ over the weekend and bought 80 toys. We are making progress but still need more toys!

David K - 12-31-2012 at 01:30 PM

NICE! So there is a Mattel toy store in Tijuana!?? Great!

fdt - 12-31-2012 at 11:35 PM

Feliz Año Nuevo a todos los Baja Nomadas :yes:

woody with a view - 12-31-2012 at 11:54 PM

If you can read this you should be donating! Cmon folks.....

:cool:

Santiago - 1-1-2013 at 09:02 AM

Flowers:
1. Can you be more specific on what toys are needed or useful? In other words, what toys do you buy with the money that is donated?
2. Are you still planning a wrapping party for the weekend prior?

Thanks

fdt - 1-2-2013 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Flowers:
1. Can you be more specific on what toys are needed or useful? In other words, what toys do you buy with the money that is donated?
2. Are you still planning a wrapping party for the weekend prior?

Thanks

Hi Santiago;
There are no specific specifics (redundant?) as for the type of toys, ever, specially this time when we have so many kids. What is always easy to place are dolls, toy trucks and cars, balls, bikes, in other words the traditional toys, nothing elaborate or very expensive, we have kids from 4 to 15 both boys and girls.
What we do and have done in the past with whatever moneys are donated is purchase, usually at ToysRUs additional wrapping paper and some toys or help with the food. For a couple of years now we've had a sponsor help us with moneys for tamales, $160.00 dollars to be precise but we still have to get all of the disposables (forks, plates, napkins, cups, etc.) plus the beverages, a few times we've spent money for diesel for the buses and a couple of times have also helped people who help us go across to the US to pick up toys to bring back with gas money. This is, IMO the most time and cost consuming part of the entire toy drive, the smuggling in small amounts of toys. It's really not that much that we receive as for to put on such an event but thanks to additional help that we receive from friends here in Tijuana, we've always been able to get it done.

As for the gift wrapping party, I received an offer from a BajaNomad to help sponsor that but I thankfully declined, again because of the great number of children we have to get toys to that I would prefer to concentrate all efforts on the toy donations and use those resources offered towards that. For this year we've teamed up with a group called abba which is helping a lot with getting all the necessary volunteers for wrapping and more.
Along with them, we are looking into all the possibilities for bringing across all toys in one trip, legally, which is also needed for bringing across the meat to make the tamales, because it is a lot of meat needed to feed all these people.
Every year, we start not knowing how it will work out but it always does. I thought last years toy drive was a real challenge, because of the number of children, location, food and so on, but it worked out great.
I strongly encourage you and other nomads to participate the day of the event, it's a unique experience!
Saludos y gracias,
Flowers ;)

DENNIS - 1-2-2013 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
There are no specific specifics (redundant?)

Repeatedly. :lol::lol:

fdt - 1-2-2013 at 01:28 PM

We need toys, many, many toys.

BajaNomad - 1-2-2013 at 11:03 PM

Thank you to all of you who support this event, even if it's simply through your positive thoughts and prayers.

If you have the chance to be there on the 19th, please do so - to my knowledge, it's been a very positive experience for all of those who've attended in the past.

fdt - 1-3-2013 at 12:46 PM

There is a company in Phoenix, Sleep America, that is donating 5 boxes full of toys for our toy drive, we just need to go get them. Is anyone coming from that area to San Diego that could bring them for us? We will do the smuggling ;)
 Pages:  1