BajaNomad

medical problem

Retireded - 12-15-2012 at 09:05 AM

I am outside Ensenada and have a hernia causing I a severe problem. besy option? San Diego, Red cross, No cash for surgery. medicare in stttates.

desertcpl - 12-15-2012 at 09:20 AM

dont see any other option,, get your self to San Diego ASAP

DENNIS - 12-15-2012 at 09:22 AM

Get up to the states ASAP. If it's too late for that, get a ride to general hospital.
You're close to Red Cross so call them as well.
Don't just wait.......Do something.

San Diego

bajaguy - 12-15-2012 at 09:23 AM

Sharp Medical Center.

805 north to Telegraph Canyon Road, east on Telegraph Canyon to Sharp.

Great hospital, service and staff

Keri - 12-15-2012 at 09:26 AM

I second Sharp. The best. If you cant make it there go to Hospital Velmar in ensenada or Hospital del Carmen ensenda also,k

DENNIS - 12-15-2012 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
I second Sharp. The best. If you cant make it there go to Hospital Velmar in ensenada or Hospital del Carmen ensenda also,k

If Velmar is your choice, you better have lots of money and/or credit. It's the best hospital, but by far most expensive.

Del Carmen isn't inexpensive either.

[Edited on 12-15-2012 by DENNIS]

Alm - 12-15-2012 at 11:50 AM

The best Hernia center in North America is Shouldice hospital in Toronto, Canada. The cost is 3K-4K including semi-private room (they don't have regular rooms), and all the tests (there are often some results missing in the papers from outside labs). They don't do anything but Hernia, for 50 years or so. They are separate from Canadian so called "free" medical system and make their own rules, though the place is popular and waiting list can be few weeks long. Don't know if they make any exceptions for urgent cases, with most people Hernia repair isn't urgent. If it hurts right now or very often, you should RUN to hospital, and run fast, before the blocked guts blow up.

bajaguy - 12-15-2012 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Retireded
...........No cash for surgery. medicare in states.......

He doesn't have any options to go to Velmar (unless it's a true emergency) or Canada. He needs a facility that will accept Medicare in the San Diego area, hence Sharp.

[Edited on 12-15-2012 by bajaguy]

David K - 12-15-2012 at 12:44 PM

Yup! Or any emergency room as (until the change) America has the best health care with no need to have money to get.

bajaguy - 12-15-2012 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yup! Or any emergency room

Nope, not ANY emergency room.....you want the BEST emergency room.........and I don't think there are any closer than Sharp

David K - 12-15-2012 at 02:00 PM

I am fond of Kaiser... and they too have emergency room on Zion. Sharp is great too.

paranewbi - 12-15-2012 at 02:13 PM

Sharp Medical Center.

I think you have to turn a right on Medical Center Dr. to get up the hill to Sharp....2nd or 3rd light after 805 on Telegraph?

DENNIS - 12-15-2012 at 02:20 PM

Retirded.......This may be a stupid question, but are you a Veteran?

EnsenadaDr - 12-15-2012 at 02:30 PM

Dennis, you are not thinking that this is Prorader? By the way, if this man had Seguro Popular, he could have had his surgery for free or very minimal cost....

bajaguy - 12-15-2012 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Sharp Medical Center.

I think you have to turn a right on Medical Center Dr. to get up the hill to Sharp....2nd or 3rd light after 805 on Telegraph?

Yup, big sign on Telegraph Canyon Road, don't know the cross street, but you can't miss it.

bajaguy - 12-15-2012 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Dennis, you are not thinking that this is Prorader?

Prorader is gone like a bad dream....skulked away in the middle of the night :lol: He started a bonfire and continued to throw gasoline on it till it was too hot for him.

J.P. - 12-15-2012 at 03:14 PM

I got to thinking about Velmar. So i checked some records I have. In Nov of 2006 my wife was in there she had a terminal illness when it became too dificult to administer pain meds we checked her into Velmar. When it was determened she was terminal she wanted to come home to Baja. The 9 day stay cost 2,500 dls us.
My co pay for the room in our us hospital would have been 300dls. a day alone. I highly recomend Velmar and thier Staff in my book they are top notch.

durrelllrobert - 12-15-2012 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Retireded
...........No cash for surgery. medicare in states.......

He doesn't have any options to go to Velmar (unless it's a true emergency) or Canada. He needs a facility that will accept Medicare in the San Diego area, hence Sharp.

My brother, who has no money but does have Medicare, went to Sharp Grossmont with a major brain hemorage. Drs said that a lot of younger guys (my brother is 74) don't survive the required surgery, but he did and Medicare paid for everthing.

DENNIS - 12-15-2012 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Dennis, you are not thinking that this is Prorader?

No. I'm sure he isn't.

DENNIS - 12-15-2012 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

WOW....He looks like a baseball.

Alm - 12-15-2012 at 07:14 PM

Not to scare you, but... Hernia repair is a relatively simple operation, and is not regarded highly in surgeons circles. Often delegated to young surgeons without much experience. For this, or for some other reason, there is a high percentage of patients with long term complications, especially with groin Hernia - or whatever is medical term for that one. People are having pain years and years after, even though before the repair they had no pain.

I don't recommend going to just "any" emergency. Do your homework and go to somebody specialized in this field, and/or to a hospital with a good established Hernia team.

Again, if hernia is causing you "severe problems" like you say, don't waste any time. Twisted guts (strangulated hernia) may kill you.

willardguy - 12-15-2012 at 07:33 PM

why does HE get a HERnia
and SHE gets a HIStirectomy?

seriously, get it fixed.

BajaBlanca - 12-15-2012 at 08:03 PM

wishing you the best care and recuperation.

Alm - 12-16-2012 at 12:26 PM

About recuperation - sure, get better soon, but you can't speed it up. The repair takes an hour or less, you are discharged - usually - same day. I did it in Shouldice Canada, they use a different approach and patients stay 3 days. Anyway - if it's a groin hernia, you will barely be able to walk same day and you will have difficulties walking and driving for the next few days. Consider a few days stay somewhere and/or arrange for driving or flying back home.

EnsenadaDr - 12-16-2012 at 12:53 PM

I assisted with many hernia operations in Hospital Militar in Ensenada, most were elective and the patients reuperated just fine.

Ensanada doc quix ??

captkw - 12-16-2012 at 12:55 PM

Hola,,what in under 5 words are the worst pateints ???

EnsenadaDr - 12-16-2012 at 01:02 PM

Doctors!!! (and nurses), but the worst patient I had as a nurse was a lawyer!!

Go figure..LOL

captkw - 12-16-2012 at 01:03 PM

EnsenadaDr - 12-16-2012 at 01:10 PM

Yeah, everything I did he wrote down, sort of makes you feel nervous.

Humble teachings

captkw - 12-16-2012 at 01:19 PM

One after noon I was working on a nice yacht's motor and saw the owner walking down the dock..he said hi as he climbed on board and I briefly gave him the rundown on his motors and advice on followup.... after about 5 mins I stop and grinning say to him " you doc's have it easy,,only two models two work on....female & male"...and go back to working on the motor..waiting for a reply..after a good while he say's " yes,, your right !! But I have to repair them while their running "" I have never forgot that statement !!! K&T

[Edited on 12-16-2012 by captkw]

[Edited on 12-16-2012 by captkw]

EnsenadaDr - 12-16-2012 at 01:21 PM

Ha Ha that's really funny!! Thanks for the joke, KW!!

Skipjack Joe - 12-16-2012 at 02:13 PM

Quote:

Where did Dennis rank?

.... just stirring the pot ....

[Edited on 12-16-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

Retireded - 12-16-2012 at 03:29 PM

To all who replied, THANK YOU! I left for the border yesterday morning and by 7 last night woke up in a recovery rm. at Sharp, Chula Vista. Great hospital in EVERY way. and I think Hugh Hefner must be their personnel director. I'll probably be heading home to Sauzal tomorrow, depending on time of discharge. Thanks again all.
ps. I'm going to drive the same route when feeling better. I think my wife may have missed a few of the bumps in the road. lol

EnsenadaDr - 12-16-2012 at 03:33 PM

Dennis was never my patient but he appears to be the model patient now following up with all schedule appointments and tests in the States.
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

Where did Dennis rank?

.... just stirring the pot ....

[Edited on 12-16-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

bajaguy - 12-16-2012 at 03:44 PM

Retireded....glad to hear all is well and that you found Sharp,
Great hospital and great staff!!!...........

Speedy recovery and Merry Christmas!!!

greybaby - 12-16-2012 at 10:20 PM

My advice would be to get to San Diego - especially since you have Medicare.
Lived in Ensenada for 6 years but saw enough to know that I wanted my medical care North of the border.

Retireded - 12-16-2012 at 11:34 PM

Thanks Bajaguy,
I read your first response suggesting Sharp while recuperating. My wife rushed me out the door before I was able to receive any replies, crossed at Otay, and this was the first hospital we saw so we took a chance. It sure turned out great. I don't have words to praise this place highly enough. I'll be leaving for home in the morning confident that I've received the best treatment available. The staff are all great, the doctors seem to know what they are doing, even taking time to listen to the patient, unlike I was accustomed to in Wa State. While still working and enrolled in Group death, I mean Gropu health, I actually walked out on one doctor and made another appointment specifying I did not want to deal with her anymore. A few months later, she was no longer there.
It sure would be nice to meet some of you folks in person. After I recuperate, I'll be looking for someone to fish with. Just bought a Ocean kayak set up for fishing and dying to give it a try... I'll probably start somewhere between La bufadora and a few miles North of Ensenada. Been trying in the surf with no luck, not too surprising as I never tried surf before last month.
Anyway, time to get some sleep. I'll catch you another time.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.