BajaNomad

Catavina to the Pacific coast

strgnff - 11-1-2004 at 08:49 AM

What is the road like from the turn off at La Travesia (8 miles north of Catavina) going west to the coast via the Lazaro Arroyo. How often is it driven by the locals? The Baja Almanac indicates that its a graded dirt road. Is this accurate? Thanks.

Friends of mine

jrbaja - 11-1-2004 at 12:53 PM

came from the opposite direction a few years back. And they weren't sure exactly which road they were on. But, here's what they said.
They thought they could make it to Catavi?a with their 4wd Toyota. But, they got onto the side of a hill that was washed out but couldn't possible back out. So they built roads. And more roads. and they finally got out of the hills and found this mine.
The mine had trucks that had not been disturbed in years, motors, windshields, etc., all still there. But no people.
They then headed east and had to cut giant fallen Cardon out of the road to continue. But they made it and came out where you want to go in.
Truly an adventure and as I say, don't know which roads they were actually on but , happy exploring.
Depending on your timing, I may be interested in this trip if you are interested in another vehicle accompanying you.

Taco de Baja - 11-1-2004 at 03:31 PM

Took the road several weeks ago and it was in GREAT shape. Recently graded to boot. Got to the coast in ~3 hours. Never had to use 4x4 until we were at the coast and had to go up some of the steep ungraded inclines. If you have not driven it before, it can be confusing as there are many forks with no markings (generally keep right). However, most eventually do lead to the coast....just some make a detour to a rancho.
Local fisherman and the ranchers drive it all the time.

can a 2wd

woody with a view - 11-13-2004 at 03:31 PM

ford ranger make the various roads into the sisters? i've made the upper north road into san juanico with nothing worse than a flat. i realize it is very isolated and a breakdown is a serious issue, but generally, (i know my limitations!) would it be a waste of time to even try to get in there?