BajaNomad

First Time Baja Fail.

KevinFromUtah - 12-24-2012 at 01:44 AM

After years of daydreaming, reading books and forums, and making plans, I finally crossed the border into Tijuana on Dec. 13 and started heading south.

The plan - me (23 years old), little brother, and best friend driving my '93 4runner down the Pacific side for a few days, camping and surfing, then crossing over to Bahia Concepcion for a few days to hang out and kayak, then down to Los Cabos to meet up with some friends on a cruise.

Spent the first night in Ensenada, enjoying the food and checking out town. Left town the next morning, with the goal of getting to Santa Rosalillita by dark.

Throughout the day rained pretty hard on and off. In San Quintin swapped drivers and let my brother take the wheel. Every curve I kept reminding him, slow down, slow down. Finally I just told myself I needed to relax and stop back seat driving. After all, he's been driving for years, he knows what he's doing.

Well, about 20 minutes South of Catavina, the rain was picking up again, and as soon as we came into the curve I knew we were moving far too fast. We started to slide, then fishtailed majorly with each over correction. Finally slid off the left shoulder and rolled twice down the embankment. Amazingly and thankfully, none of us had more than a few scratches. Sadly the same couldn't be said for my 4runner, which ended in some kind of impound lot / junk yard in Punta Prieta.

Thanks to the amazing help of the people of Baja and a couple of awesome American surfers (thanks Brandon and Will), we were able to eventually get a ride for us and our stuff back to the border and meet up with family to take us home.

Although I was disappointed to see so little of Baja, everything I did see I loved. The people were so helpful and kind, the landscape was amazing, everyday tasks like getting gas or buying lunch took on a sense of adventure. It might take a year or more of saving up again to invest in another vehicle, but as crazy as my family or friends think I am for it, I'll definitely be coming back. But next time I think I'll do all the driving.

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by KevinFromUtah]

rsz_4runner.jpg - 30kB

CortezBlue - 12-24-2012 at 03:50 AM

Well on the positive side, you made it back in one piece to do it again later!

Cortez Blue Philosophy

"That, that does not kill you, makes you stronger":light:

acadist - 12-24-2012 at 06:01 AM

Glad everyone is fine, what an experience

monoloco - 12-24-2012 at 07:30 AM

The good news: there will be 93 Forerunner parts available in Punta Prieta now.

Ateo - 12-24-2012 at 08:00 AM

Holy crap! You are lucky it happened next to that dry lake rather than some hilly cliff area (if that picture is indeed where it occurred).

Stoked you are OK.

Ouch

bajaguy - 12-24-2012 at 08:40 AM

Glad you are OK.

Please post your experiences with your Mexico insurance carrier.

MMc - 12-24-2012 at 08:43 AM

Glad your OK!!
Were you insured? If so the next adventure working with the Ins. Co.
You were so close.

shari - 12-24-2012 at 08:43 AM

a real Baja classic....like the sign says, these roads are not for high speed...

I'm glad you are all OK...you were very very lucky...next time and we all hope there will be a next time...get on baja time and go slow and easy!

and may this be a reminder to you who drive the highway much much too fast.

dtbushpilot - 12-24-2012 at 08:50 AM

Welcome to Nomads Kevin, glad you're OK....

what she said !!

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 08:53 AM

Glad your alive and lucky,,there used to be a few signs that said something about this road was built to promote econemy not high speed driving...Ive seen so many wrecks in baja and from the end results I've seen high speed,, was almost always involed....so who ended up with your trans/motor ??? .....K&T:cool:

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by captkw]

bajario - 12-24-2012 at 09:06 AM

When I catch myself going faster than I should I remind myself of the old sign i've seen on that road... (translated) .... better to arrive late than never.

24baja - 12-24-2012 at 09:06 AM

We are so happy to see you are OK.....now you'll have another opportunity to see Baja. The county and the people truely are why we keep coming back.

BajaRat - 12-24-2012 at 09:13 AM

Feliz Navidad Kevin, all signs say your fortunate. Looks like you will have another chance on Mex 1. Great choice in vehicles............. sorry you had to see Baja in action under these circumstances.

woody with a view - 12-24-2012 at 09:14 AM

WOW! just keep reminding yourself how lucky you all are.

David K - 12-24-2012 at 09:19 AM

Well that is a wonderful but sad trip report... Your observations about the people and the country are correct... For you to be so positive after what happened to you guys and your Toyota makes you a perfect member of this forum! Welcome! Oh and as asked above, what was the insurance outcome if you even bought Mexican auto. insurance?

Quote:
Originally posted by bajario
When I catch myself going faster than I should I remind myself of the old sign i've seen on that road... (translated) .... better to arrive late than never.

These large billboard size signs were located in many places along the Transpeninsular Highway after it was completed and inaugurated in December, 1973:

BajaRat - 12-24-2012 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
..so who ended up with your trans/motor ??? .....K&T:cool:

Im heading to fabulosa Punta Prieta as we speak.
:yes:

DianaT - 12-24-2012 at 09:22 AM

Now you can tell all your friends who probably told you not to go to Baja because it is a very dangerous place that they are correct. It is dangerous! :yes:

I am sure it will be a very Merry Christmas for all of your family just having all of you back safe and sound.

Return soon, drive slower and you will have time to enjoy even more of the scenery. And you can rest easy knowing that every usable part on your lost vehicle will find a new and happy home.

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by DianaT]

vgabndo - 12-24-2012 at 09:25 AM

Wow, a half mile earlier and this could have been worse!
Congratulations...you're a big winner!

mas vale clock.jpg - 16kB

road sign

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 09:26 AM

Thanks DK brings back some good mems....I have always said to folks..."driving the baja hwy,is like flying a 727,,,hrs of boredoom,, With moments of shear terror" The road today is alot better,safer,and WIDER !! K&T:cool: edit and smoother except those "hidden" topes !!!

Sweetwater - 12-24-2012 at 09:26 AM

Kevin,

It happens. Glad to hear you are OK but sorry to hear your Toyo is toyotalled. This reminds me of my Bad Company moto ride last February. I'm telling the guys to slow down, we're hundreds of miles south of the border. It wasn't until our return from La Paz that one set of moto rims got so punished that the tire went flat. Fortunately again, no injuries.

Unless you are in a SCORE race, it's not a race and there is so much of Baja to slow down and enjoy... IMHO

DENNIS - 12-24-2012 at 09:39 AM

Slow down.......and have a Merry Christmas. You came close to missing this one. Count your blessings.

David K - 12-24-2012 at 11:16 AM

As Perry's sign photo interprets: ... Better Late than Never!

mtgoat666 - 12-24-2012 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinFromUtah

The plan - me (23 years old), little brother, and best friend driving my '93 4runner down the Pacific side for a few days, camping and surfing, then crossing over to Bahia Concepcion for a few days to hang out and kayak, then down to Los Cabos to meet up with some friends on a cruise.

Throughout the day rained pretty hard on and off. In San Quintin swapped drivers and let my brother take the wheel. Every curve I kept reminding him, slow down, slow down. Finally I just told myself I needed to relax and stop back seat driving. After all, he's been driving for years, he knows what he's doing.

Well, about 20 minutes South of Catavina, the rain was picking up again, and as soon as we came into the curve I knew we were moving far too fast. We started to slide, then fishtailed majorly with each over correction. Finally slid off the left shoulder and rolled twice down the embankment.

yikes! youthful driver learning through experiential education! glad y'all survived. expensive drivers ed lesson!

now your little bro knows that speeding not wise on 2-lane country roads. it's not just a mexico thing, is a truism for all country roads in rugged terrain. it always seems like such a long drive, but jack rabbit or high speed driving only saves a few minutes or at most an hour or 2, and now you know risks/rewards.

willardguy - 12-24-2012 at 11:36 AM

roadside shrines are always a good reminder!

TMW - 12-24-2012 at 11:45 AM

Wow glad you and your brother are OK. As a survivor of a couple of wrecks in Baja be patient with the insurance company. Keep in touch with the insurance agent. Since you will be in Utah what I tell you is very important to do. When I had my wrecks I did all the leg work on getting the various people to sign off on the paper work. The insurance company told me what to do and who to see. The Feds were the hardest to deal with as they would not speak to me in English so I had a good friend do the talking in Spanish. The insurance paid off on my sons Toyota and my Chevy but on my last wreck I had my US insurance company total it out for me. Funny thing about my Chevy was they could not find it for several months even when I told them it was at the house of the tow truck driver in La Rumorosa and not the impound yard.

BAJACAT - 12-24-2012 at 11:53 AM

Kevin sorry to welcome you under this conditions, the good thing is that everybody is ok...there is plenny of 4runners in the USA..I agree with allt he nomads H1 is not for speeding, even when is not raining. In all my travels to Baja I have seen an accident every time.It's beest if you take it easy and soak in the landscape..don't worry Baja will be there for your next trip,We survive 12-21-2012, so you have time for another trip...

PS. I also have a 1991 4Runner 4x4 Manual..there fun to drive, but you can flip them so easy.Take care.

Curt63 - 12-24-2012 at 12:11 PM

A good lesson for all of us.

Just curious, were the rear tires balding or in good condition? Do you know what the tire pressure was. Also, condition of the shocks?

These are all critical factors when things get interesting (swerving and sliding)

RnR - 12-24-2012 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinFromUtah

Well, about 20 minutes South of Catavina, the rain was picking up again, and as soon as we came into the curve I knew we were moving far too fast. We started to slide, then fishtailed majorly with each over correction. Finally slid off the left shoulder and rolled twice down the embankment. Amazingly and thankfully, none of us had more than a few scratches. Sadly the same couldn't be said for my 4runner, which ended in some kind of impound lot / junk yard in Punta Prieta.

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by KevinFromUtah]

Glad that all of you are okay with nothing but physical damage to the vehicle.

And yes, I know that corner well. With the just the glimpse of the dry lake bed with the rock pile in the background, I know that it is the same corner!

We came around that corner towing a 26ft travel trailer. Got hit by a huge gust of wind. The wind tilted the truck and pushed the wheels of the travel trailer off of the pavement. With some divine intervention, I managed to get the travel trailer back onto the pavement, swerved across the other lane, and eventually settled down without crashing. Whew!!

Out of the corner of my eye, while trying to save my own rig (or burro), I noticed another vehicle on it's roof in the lakebed. If you can believe it, it was a Toyota 4Runner, too. Only difference is that it was towing a boat on a trailer that was upside down also. It couldn't have been 20 feet from where your rig is! Same rock pile right behind it.

They were shaken up but okay, too. Deja Vue, from about 8 years ago.

Don't give up on Baja. It's a wonderful experience. Just don't let your brother drive ....

David K - 12-24-2012 at 12:29 PM

Before any Baja trip begins, do have good or new tires... and a good full size spare full of air, plus a tire plug kit and air pump.

The suspension (shocks and springs) should be at the firmest setting or best condition as you are likely to have a heavy load on a Baja trip.

Facilities can be many miles apart, there is no cell phone coverage in the central desert and many areas... if your U.S. cell phone even works at all.

That said, I have been driving in Baja since I was 16 and never had a problem that was too bad to fix there or an accident or any criminal incidents... so I have Baja in the highest light as do most Nomads I think... That you had such a terrible thing happen, and yet can talk so positively surely shows the Magic of Baja has touched you, as well!

Cyanide41 - 12-24-2012 at 03:33 PM

Welcome to the site Kevin, glad you survived.

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by Cyanide41]

WoW!!

fixtrauma - 12-24-2012 at 03:44 PM

I am glad you survived that double roll. No ejection from vehicle.....great. Seat belts.......wonderful!

Please give it another try and get more time in the Baja.

Ateo - 12-24-2012 at 07:50 PM

Just remember, a "Curva Peligrosa" sign means just that. Although sometimes you may find the next turn even more dangerous, unsigned, with no guard rail and a 300 foot drop off.

sancho - 12-24-2012 at 08:35 PM

I was older than 23 when I first drove the peninsula,
and I was guilty of a couple of things, not speeding,
but driving without Mex Ins and driving with a beer
between my legs. I'm sure I wasn't the only one
past or present. No negative incidents, just being
nieve

woody with a view - 12-24-2012 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Just remember, a "Curva Peligrosa" sign means just that. Although sometimes you may find the next turn even more dangerous, unsigned, with no guard rail and a 300 foot drop off.

and when you see double signs that means SLOW THE FVCK DOWN....:light:

[Edited on 12-25-2012 by BajaNomad]

remember "coke curves"

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 09:04 PM

pepsi/coke curves !!

[Edited on 12-25-2012 by captkw]

woody with a view - 12-24-2012 at 09:08 PM

she was HOT!

desertcpl - 12-25-2012 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
I was older than 23 when I first drove the peninsula,
and I was guilty of a couple of things, not speeding,
but driving without Mex Ins and driving with a beer
between my legs. I'm sure I wasn't the only one
past or present. No negative incidents, just being
nieve

driving with out a beer between your legs, thats just not right when driving in Baja :lol::lol::lol:

Ken Cooke - 12-25-2012 at 10:00 AM

It doesn't get much worse than this...

Broken down Ford Ranger on top of borrowed Trailer (belonging to Tim Sanchez/Desert Bull) which is also broken down on the Observatory Road in San Telmo. Yes, that is bad.

Thankfully, we had spare drinks in the cooler to hire the locals to help us pull the wheel off of the axle and put the spare on the axle. Desert Bull wasn't happy about all of this, but I am still glad that he could help with my junk so far from home.

[Edited on 12-25-2012 by Ken Cooke]

BajaBlanca - 12-25-2012 at 10:20 AM

Merry Christmas and we hope you buy that new car soon. You sound like our kinda people !

May the new year bring you a nice raise !

Thanks for sharing the story.

KevinFromUtah - 12-25-2012 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
A good lesson for all of us.

Just curious, were the rear tires balding or in good condition? Do you know what the tire pressure was. Also, condition of the shocks?

These are all critical factors when things get interesting (swerving and sliding)

The tires were in good condition with plenty of tread and proper psi. As far as the shocks, no problems that I know of. Right before the trip I had my mechanic go over everything and make sure it was ready to go. Put in a new timing belt and water pump, repaired some radiator issues and a few other odds and ends.

Unfortunately I think it was simply a matter of driving too fast, especially for rainy conditions, and not knowing how to react when sliding. Coming out of a slide is pretty counter-intuitive for someone who hasn't learned how or had experience doing so.

wsdunc - 12-27-2012 at 10:37 AM

Glad you folks are OK. Not a great way to start your Baja experience, but you learned a lesson, and managed to walk away.

LESSON: If it feels like you are going too fast - you are.

edm1 - 12-27-2012 at 06:59 PM

I get the goose bumps seeng this and imagining myself driving along those CPs in Baja.

Lesson: before letting an underage driver (under 25) take the wheel, let them see actual accident photos and read the accident threads along Baja highways, along with pointing out the actual pieces of evidence scattered along the highway shoulders.

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by edm1]

woody with a view - 12-27-2012 at 07:50 PM

i'd rather drive no matter what! my wife always offers but has ZERO Baja driving time. If we gonna die on the road it will be because i screwed up or wasn't able to correct in time.

i ain't gonna die due to my driver being green....

DianaT - 12-27-2012 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'd rather drive no matter what! my wife always offers but has ZERO Baja driving time. If we gonna die on the road it will be because i screwed up or wasn't able to correct in time.

Woody, think about letting her drive some --- first in the areas where the road has been widened and there are those WONDERFUL shoulders and maybe then in the other areas. IMHO, it is important because what if something happens where she HAS to drive. Do you want that to be her first time when there might be other stress involved?

I just think it is important. We have seen too many women stranded because something happens and either they can't drive the road, or they are driving a large vehicle like a motorhome that the woman has never driven.

Would I rather let John do all the driving in Baja? YES, but I don't do it. Do I like driving in the narrow real scary parts? NO, but I do it ---- even though at times he says it is time for him to drive so we don't take take a week to get home. :biggrin:

Just some thoughts.

tripledigitken - 12-27-2012 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Woody, think about letting her drive some --- first in the areas where the road has been widened and there are those WONDERFUL shoulders and maybe then in the other areas. IMHO, it is important because what if something happens where she HAS to drive. Do you want that to be her first time when there might be other stress involved?

I just think it is important. We have seen too many women stranded because something happens and either they can't drive the road, or they are driving a large vehicle like a motorhome that the woman has never driven.

Would I rather let John do all the driving in Baja? YES, but I don't do it. Do I like driving in the narrow real scary parts? NO, but I do it ---- even though at times he says it is time for him to drive so we don't take take a week to get home. :biggrin:

Just some thoughts.

Very good advice, some that I should follow. Maybe next trip.

DianaT - 12-27-2012 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Quote:

Just some thoughts.

Very good advice, some that I should follow. Maybe next trip.

:lol::lol::lol:

Bajaboy - 12-27-2012 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Just some thoughts.

Woody, my wife has been driving a bit more in Baja. Going north from San Quintin is a good start...especially after a big meal. I get a bit of shut eye and she gets used to Baja traffic. With experience comes confidence...and a few more naps for me.:biggrin:

women drivers !!

captkw - 12-27-2012 at 10:25 PM

OK,I wont touch that one,,but DianaT has a Good point !! quix story..my grand pa started to lose his eyesite about 6 months after they had bought the biggest 5th wheel I'd ever seen with 3 slid outs and with the front part rising up,, way up high with 2008 ford 350 superduty king cab/longbed.. and they had gotten the rv weekend trip bug to be with thier friends at the many rv parks in north ca. got be grand pa could not drive..so grandma at a frail 95lbs and barely 5' ended up driving that huge rig all over ca.. she said anytime she climbed out of the cab..folks would look ,stare,,laugh,shaking their head in disbelive..she did it......RIP MELVA

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by captkw]

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by captkw]

David K - 12-27-2012 at 10:48 PM

On our first date (to Baja) I let/ asked Elizabeth to drive and it was in the hills between Ensenada and Colonet... at night! It was good training and got me relaxed with her behind the wheel. She is an excellent driver, and while I do most of the driving in Baja (because I like it), any time I need a break, she is willing to take over... Viva Baja Angel!

DianaT - 12-28-2012 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
OK,I wont touch that one,,but DianaT has a Good point !! quix story..my grand pa started to lose his eyesite about 6 months after they had bought the biggest 5th wheel I'd ever seen with 3 slid outs and with the front part rising up,, way up high with 2008 ford 350 superduty king cab/longbed.. and they had gotten the rv weekend trip bug to be with thier friends at the many rv parks in north ca. got be grand pa could not drive..so grandma at a frail 95lbs and barely 5' ended up driving that huge rig all over ca.. she said anytime she climbed out of the cab..folks would look ,stare,,laugh,shaking their head in disbelive..she did it......RIP MELVA

OK, and we won't touch that man vs woman driver thing. :lol:

The story you tell is exactly the kind of thing to which I was referring. When we had our small trailer, we met a woman from California who was "stuck" in Vermont. Her husband had become ill and she would not drive the motorhome. Not a good thing. Good for your granny-- no reason she couldn't drive it as well as grandpa. Driving is not by definition a "man" thing.

Besides, many of you guys are missing lots of beautiful things to see in Baja because in so many areas, if you are driving, the only thing you really see is the road, at least that is what I see when I am driving in some areas; big truck coming on sharp curve, narrow road, no shoulder and a major drop-off does not give one time to admire the surroundings, except the occasional glance at a decorated cross.

It is a safety issue first and foremost. There are many women who travel alone or do all the driving in Baja --- it is just more dangerous if the first time is under duress.

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by DianaT]

Ken Cooke - 12-28-2012 at 10:53 AM

I took my wife driving in Baja for the first time, and she hasn't since. I plan on enrolling her in a professional driving school, and introduce her to driving in Baja over the next several years.

David K - 12-28-2012 at 11:42 AM

Gee Ken, then she will want her own Jeep!

Bob H - 12-28-2012 at 12:10 PM

Welcome to Nomadland Kevin. So glad you are all survivors of this event.

And, remember, there is nothing wrong with being a backseat driver. There are so many times my wife has saved us from an accident by yelling something at me while I'm driving.

David K - 12-28-2012 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

And, remember, there is nothing wrong with being a backseat driver. There are so many times my wife has saved us from an accident by yelling something at me while I'm driving.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe Audrey and Elizabeth could start a club!?:lol:

Ken Cooke - 12-28-2012 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

She already does. With all of the women she sees driving Jeeps, she has brought this up many times.

redink - 1-1-2013 at 06:03 PM

We just crossed back into CA today and crossed and drove the same day as you, the 13th. Our goal was to make it to El Rosario. We made it but had to stop a couple times as visibilty was down to about 10' at most. That was a hell of a drive. You are all very lucky.

As an amatuer road racer, anytime anyone can take a driving school on a closed course it's worth every penny. Most local road race tracks offer these types of classes and are very reasonable for a day. Thunderhill in CA offers a teen car control clinic a couple times a year that is either free or very inexpensive.

woody with a view - 1-2-2013 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

She already does. With all of the women she sees driving Jeeps, she has brought this up many times.

i've always had a "thing" for a chick in a Jeep!:light::lol:

4baja - 1-7-2013 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
The good news: there will be 93 Forerunner parts available in Punta Prieta now.
fed yards wont sell parts. tried many times to buy volkswagen parts but it was allways NO.

woody with a view - 1-7-2013 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
even though at times he says it is time for him to drive so we don't take take a week to get home. :biggrin:

Exactly my point. We'll see this week!

vandenberg - 1-7-2013 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Maybe Audrey and Elizabeth could start a club!?:lol:

You can add Barbara. :biggrin:

rts551 - 1-7-2013 at 09:00 AM

Glad everything is OK. We have found the roads of Baja to be extremely slick when it rains. Lots of oil on the surface of the road that "floats" when it rains.

vandenberg - 1-7-2013 at 09:10 AM

Even at 77 I still do pretty much all the driving in Baja and have for over 30 years. Motorhome, pickup and sedans. This also means that I'm very familiar with the road and know all the more dangerous spots, sharp turns ( some wrongly marked for severity )etc, therefore more able to anticipate problems. Bad part is, that I don't get to see much of the scenery, as this road requires 100% attention.:no:

BajaBlanca - 1-7-2013 at 09:17 AM

I have driven the whole way from san diego to la bocana in a day (just like hubby does). no problemas at all. but then I like driving- I crank up the music and sing along.

99.9% of the time Les does the driving 'cause he loves it as much as I do. So, I get to admire the scenery everywhere.

Driving lession for anywhere !!

captkw - 1-7-2013 at 09:22 AM

When I was poor young guy,, I would go to wrecking yards for parts !!! I have always held the belive that you should spend a hr or two at a wrecking yard with your kid before they start driving..when you see for yourself how a car is false secruity (womb) and crumbles like a tecate can..really sinks in when you see the wrecked cars...I also feel the same about these wars that are for only making money !! feeling snug in my VOLVO..and drivng with caution anywhere !!......K&T:cool:

Osprey - 1-7-2013 at 11:27 AM

I want to die in my sleep, just like my dad. Not like those other poor passengers in his car.

Ateo - 1-7-2013 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I want to die in my sleep, just like my dad. Not like those other poor passengers in his car.

Ouch!

Ateo - 1-7-2013 at 11:41 AM

My first time Baja fail ended on the side of a road just north of San Vicente. The VW bus could take no more. Fortunately the green angels pushed us back to town, where we stayed for 1 week waiting for a tow across the border. That was a cool week though........met some friends, went to a quincenera, and took a bus ride to Enseanda.

DENNIS - 1-7-2013 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
My first time Baja fail ended on the side of a road just north of San Vicente. The VW bus could take no more. Fortunately the green angels pushed us back to town, where we stayed for 1 week waiting for a tow across the border. That was a cool week though........met some friends, went to a quincenera, and took a bus ride to Enseanda.

Came north from Mazatlan in a VW Bus just like that back in the 60's. Sometimes we had to park for a couple of days waiting for headwinds to lay down.

umpqua - 1-7-2013 at 03:11 PM

That's a seriously scary story and I'm glad to read that the outcome is as good as it was. Unfortunately others are not as lucky. I just returned last week and saw a rollover north of Guerrero Negro. People laying all about. Mex 1 is a dangerous highway with literally inches between you and death. It's what it is though and you roll the dice to experience the beauty and adventure.

Again, very happy that you survived. Go again, slow down and enjoy the vibe.

Skipjack Joe - 11-5-2016 at 10:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  

Gulliver - 11-6-2016 at 10:11 PM

Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers end each episode with the comment, "Don't drive like my brother!"

Martyman - 11-7-2016 at 03:05 PM

I let my friend drive my car. Just south of El Rosario along those ridgetop roads my friend speeds up again. I had already told him to slow down 2 or 3 times. Finally I yell at him to pull over after he slid around a corner.
WTF-I drove the rest of the trip. What is it that makes people want to drive faster then they should?? Machismo?

Gulliver - 11-7-2016 at 05:09 PM

There is a reason for stereotypes. I watch out for shiny red pickups with Mexican plates. I have had them pass me in places that I wouldn't try with a 150 h.p. bike. Machismo!!!