BajaNomad

Camping Northern Sea of Cortez

LoyeB - 12-24-2012 at 09:23 AM

Im headed down south of San Felipe next week for some winter camping. Burrrrr...I know. But I was seeing if there were any campgrounds in the area that have side walls on their palapas from blocking the wind ? I havent been to the area in a while but I think there were some three sided stone ruins south of Puertecitos near Black Mountain near the beach that would do. Maybe someone here could refresh my memory.

[Edited on 12-25-2012 by LoyeB]

BajaRat - 12-24-2012 at 09:42 AM

just went through............ conditions were great. Go to Gonzaga Bay, the road south of San Felipe is in good condition. They have fuel, beer and ice......... oh and food if that's your thing.:cool:

David K - 12-24-2012 at 09:43 AM

The Rock House, has a wonderful view, but no beach access (and the beach is all rocks)... You can't see it from the new highway, so get off onto the older road before you near the drop to El Huerfanito:

El Amacen is an old gold mine days ruin south of El Huerfanito and north of Campo Delfines, accross from El Muerto Island, on the beach:

Bwana_John - 12-24-2012 at 11:13 AM

Quote:

any campgrounds in the area that have side walls on their palapas

We have found that if you add a side wall to a palapa during the winter in the northern Sea of Cortez the wind will knock the palapa over.

willardguy - 12-24-2012 at 02:55 PM

hit rancho grande, you can use one of the palapas that have been abandoned in various states of building. if it just gets too nasty you can always duck into the hotel or sacrificio or even hunker down in the never finished restaurant. or, try beluga's 2 story semi enclosed palapa's. bring tequila and warm clothes.;)