BajaNomad

Dog Poisoning Alert At Los Cerritos!!!!

Squash - 2-18-2013 at 12:38 PM

I personally spoke with the woman who works at the Costa Azul surf shop on the beach last night, and she said that have lost 5 dogs now, fyi. This is so freaking sad :(

The following is reposted from the Baja Western Onion.

Dog Poisoning Alert At Los Cerritos! - A warning to anyone walking their dog in the vicinity of the beach club at Los Cerritos beach: up to 6 dogs have died from poisoning in the last 2 days. We lost our 4 year-old Chica today, Tuesday, after a short walk down the road behind the beach club and down the public accesso to the south of the club to the beach. No one noticed her near any garbage pails or eating anything along the roadside, but by the time she was walked a short way south along the beach she was losing the strength in her legs and shortly after began to drool and convulse. Despite attempts to get her to vomit by administering hydrogen peroxide orally, as recommended by a local veteraniarian, she died within 15 minutes.

All the dogs seem to have died in the same locale, so it would be advisable to avoid the area with your dogs. There may still be more poisoned food somewhere in the area.No doubt the poisoner deliberately targeted dogs and is pleased with the death toll he has attained thus far. Encouraged by his success he may decide to expand his area of operations, so dog owners be aware in the Cerritos area. - Peter Holmes, Pescadero

DENNIS - 2-18-2013 at 12:43 PM

This is sickening. I am so sorry.

DianaT - 2-18-2013 at 12:51 PM

Yes, it is sickening. So very sorry for your loss and for all the other people who lost their fur friend.

I hope someone finds out what was used, who did it, and it STOPS right away.

:no::no:

bajagrouper - 2-18-2013 at 01:09 PM

I am on the mainland and every year right before a large tourist influx (like Semana Santa) there seems to be a lot of poisonings of dogs, sometimes tainted meat is used other times bowls of anti-freeze are left out, que lastima........

Hook - 2-18-2013 at 01:15 PM

Do you have Colorado River toads aka Sonoran toads over there? If so, have their been rains recently?

Squash - 2-18-2013 at 01:18 PM

I don't know about the toads. I have personally never seen any on or near cerritos. But we haven't had rain for a month or so.

Hook - 2-18-2013 at 01:28 PM

We get occasional epidemics of dogs being poisoned over here and it often follows rains when the toads come out.

But we also have a continuing instance where some old gringo has decided to house literally 15 stray dogs that he feeds. They run loose in the neighborhoods as a threatenting pack and they make quite a racket in the night. It appears that certain neighbors decide to thin the herd, occasionally. :O

mulegemichael - 2-18-2013 at 02:25 PM

that "thinning" is presently going on in mulege also...happens a couple times a year when the dog packs grow...someone takes it upon themselves to reduce the herd...keep yer mutts close; we are.

DENNIS - 2-18-2013 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
that "thinning" is presently going on in mulege also...happens a couple times a year when the dog packs grow...someone takes it upon themselves to reduce the herd...keep yer mutts close; we are.

Kill them, but don't torture them. That's what poison does and that's sick.

So Sorry for Your Loss

Gypsy Jan - 2-18-2013 at 03:11 PM

And thank you for getting the information out so others are aware.

Hope that you find a replacement for that hole in your heart.

The two new puppies in our casa are keeping me so busy, I don't have time or energy to get fixated over the elderly dog we recently lost.

Best regards, GJ

CortezBlue - 2-18-2013 at 03:44 PM

Any new taco stands opened up near by?

desertcpl - 2-18-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

go to your room

tiotomasbcs - 2-18-2013 at 05:02 PM

Cerritos Beach as well as most other areas where Gringos go is a dumping ground. Thanks for the update as Spring Break is coming and this is a normal time for our locals to leave us gifts! Welcome aboard, Squash. Good info and aheads up. The farmers also poison dogs that get in their fields. Take care of your dogs. Tio

DavidE - 2-18-2013 at 05:11 PM

I learned this the nauseating way...

"Salchichas y veneno para ratas y ratones"

"They" slice open a hot dog and sprinkle tasteless and odorless Sodium Warfarin into the slice. It doesn't take much. The animal dies from massive spontaneous internal hemorrhage.

An adopted Mexican dog is the moat loving and loyal creature on the face of the earth.

Lee - 2-18-2013 at 07:19 PM

Ask around Cerritos and bet one name comes up. Think management would like to see less dogs on the beach. Bad karma down there.

Hook - 2-18-2013 at 07:39 PM

Many Mexicans just view dogs in a different light. They arent really pets. They're more like inexpensive security guards or inexpensive baby sitters for the kids. They just dont have the same feelings for them that some of us do in other cultures. They would NEVER consider spending money on any veterinarian services.

If they die, it's like a part failed in their car. Oh well, time to replace the fan belt.

It's hard for some of us to understand this part of the Mexican culture. Certainly it is mostly fostered by living close to the edge, financially. They have to make choices between REAL needs for their family and their dog. Dogs are often less than family members.

So, killing dogs that become a perceived inconvenience in their lives is easier for them to do, than for those of us who did not grow up in this culture.

It really struck home when I first moved down here and was confronted by the occasional pack of aggressive Mexican dogs. Someone suggested that all you need to do to send them fleeing is to bend down and pretend to pick up a rock. It works every time! Mexican dogs are so used to having rocks thrown at them that they instinctively understand this motion in humans.

You do the same thing to the gringo dogs that people bring down with them.........and they have no reaction at all. None.

It can be very hard for us to understand this. We have so much compassion for our dogs and treat them as nearly equal members of our family.

And so, one begins to understand the intense loyalty that an adopted Mexican dog will develop for a new, compassionate owner.

I've met gringos down here that treat dogs like this too, of course. They only have dogs so as to counter a perceived threat to their property. If there was no crime, there would be no need for a dog, in their minds. Dogs are a functional implement in life to them; not a source of companionship.

I've learned more about dogs and people in five years down here than in all my years of owning dogs in the States. The sense of living closer to a survivalist situation affects man and dog in ways I never realized while living in the "city".

Not really passing any judgement on anyone. Just some conclusions I've reached from living down here...........

Squash - 2-19-2013 at 10:29 AM

Thanks to those who've sent condolences. But just to be clear, my dog is fine, thank goodness. I just reposted the info from the baja western onion.

I was camping with my dog on the east side all last week and so I hadn't heard the news until my return and so I just wanted to help spread the word as many of us take our dogs to cerritos and let them run free.

And yes, folks here do speak of one probable culprit, but I suppose there is no way to know for sure.

I will say that the other thing I noticed upon my return were the new signs on the public access roads citing Mexican laws stating there is no camping allowed there (on the access roads). The look pretty official, have Mexican govt. agencies logos and stuff. But then you notice the last line on the sign, directing you to the new RV campground that just opened up (also in the week I was gone) behind the surf colony.

Also the week before that, they did some work on the access road on the north end of the beach= fenced off the grassy area where folks would sometimes camp in their vehicles and also towed away the old trailer that was there on the road. So maybe they are trying to "clean up" the beach?

I really don't know if any of this is related, and I certainly don't want to get flamed or whatever, but it's interesting to note all the changes taking place on cerritos.

DavidE - 2-19-2013 at 10:45 AM

Put up signs...

$10,000 Pesos Recompensa Para I.D. Los Personas Que Mata Los Perros Con Veneno

Check with your local Ministerio Publico. I'm not sure but I believe I read somewhere that placing poisoned bait in a public place (rather than on say private ranch land) is a major felony. If you can copy down and put the codigo y clave on reward notices to make the reward sound serious.

CortezBlue - 2-19-2013 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

go to your room

My Bad

DavidE - 2-19-2013 at 11:32 AM

Only Escuintlas amigo, or in a peench, chihuahuas for antojitos

Mulegena - 2-19-2013 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
I understand the perpetrator is the guy who makes machaca and hangs it outside his house to dry. He doesn't have a fenced yard, so he sets out poison.
What a bad guy! :fire:
Everybody knows and we do nothing :fire:
Killing animals is not illegal here in Baja Sur! :fire:

Mexico City has made it illegal within the capitol limits... finally... a $5000 peso fine and up to 6 months incarceration for knowingly killing an animal, I believe.

I've spoken with Dr. Manuel Cota, the veterinarian in Sta. Rosalia. He's an activist for local education of young people and families leading to change in the way animals are regarded, and I applaud his dedication and compassion.

Change has got to come!!

tripledigitken - 2-19-2013 at 12:29 PM

I'd spice that machaca with exlax some night.................

DavidE - 2-19-2013 at 12:34 PM

Deposit dead animals on his porch. Leave a note:

"PARA SU MACHACA"

BajaDixon - 2-19-2013 at 10:28 PM

This is very disconcerting given the fact that I just rented a house here on Cerritos for a week and brought my 2 dogs. Today there were 5 or 6 dogs running loose in front of the beach club restaurant so I am hoping the threat is behind me. Anybody see this happen before at this place?

Lee - 2-20-2013 at 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDixon
This is very disconcerting given the fact that I just rented a house here on Cerritos for a week and brought my 2 dogs. Today there were 5 or 6 dogs running loose in front of the beach club restaurant so I am hoping the threat is behind me. Anybody see this happen before at this place?

The problem might be that there are too many dogs running around loose in front of the beach club. It is common for farmers to put out poison around their fields to keep dogs out. The Cerritos poisoning is another form of dog control.

The question you need to ask isn't whether it's happened before at Cerritos but when it will happen again. Are you comfortable allowing your dogs to roam freely even if it's outside where you are renting?

Bumped into a friend yesterday who walks her dogs on that beach most days and said her dogs are now on leash's.

Go back and reread the post that started this thread. Personal opinion: Cerritos is not a safe place for dogs right now.

monoloco - 2-20-2013 at 07:16 AM

I don't condone dog poisoning but I also don't understand why people think it's okay to take packs of dogs down to a crowded beach, there is nothing worse than being at the beach with your family and having dogs run across your beach blanket, knock over your kid, pee on your cooler, and take a big dump right next to you (all of which I have personally experienced there). There are plenty of uncrowded beaches around here where you can let your dogs run but keep them on a leash when you are at Los Cerritos.

[Edited on 2-20-2013 by monoloco]

SFandH - 2-20-2013 at 07:47 AM

Is the problem at Cerritos with off leash pets or homeless free ranging dogs, or both. What sparked the poisoning? Poisoning is horrible in both cases, but killing people's pets is especially horrible, over the top. :fire:

In more "civilized" places, both are criminal acts.

monoloco - 2-20-2013 at 07:54 AM

The problem is mostly with folks who think that it's totally acceptable to head down to the beach with sometimes 2,3 or 4 dogs and just let them run wild.

SFandH - 2-20-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
The problem is mostly with folks who think that it's totally acceptable to head down to the beach with sometimes 2,3 or 4 dogs and just let them run wild.

Well, at least put some signs up asking dog owners to control their dogs and pick-up after them. Most dog owners, like me, know the issues. Reminders will work for a significant percentage, but not all the time.

Perhaps try to designate one end of the beach as "dog beach" where off leash is OK.

But, do you think the poisoning is being done because of pets? If so, the culprit needs to be dealt with, somehow.

[Edited on 2-20-2013 by SFandH]

mtgoat666 - 2-20-2013 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

Well, at least put some signs up asking dog owners to control their dogs and pick-up after them. Most dog owners, like me, know the issues. Reminders will work for a significant percentage, but not all the time.

Perhaps try to designate one end of the beach as "dog beach" where off leash is OK.

But, do you think the poisoning is being done because of pets? If so, the culprit needs to be dealt with, somehow.

despite what the pope says, the solution is birth control! when people don't spay and neuter, pets and strays multiply, and with no municipal dog catcher to control the packs citizens are left to control on their own,...

time for a leash law? perhaps a muni dog license system can by put in place to provide funding to hire a real dog catcher or fund some birth control?

[Edited on 2-20-2013 by mtgoat666]

monoloco - 2-20-2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

At Los Cerritos the problem is mostly with pets. There are many who hang out there who seem to collect dogs and think nothing of letting their packs run wild. I have a dog that I take to one of the deserted beaches here almost everyday, but I would not even consider inflicting her exuberance on the multitudes at Los Cerritos, it's just not considerate to the other beach goers IMO.

Leo - 2-20-2013 at 07:45 PM

I second that Monoloco. Take them further south is what we do and pick up.

pauldavidmena - 6-6-2013 at 12:41 PM

There are few things our dog loves more than playing with other dogs off-leash. Usually we do this in our own fenced-in backyard, but occasionally we'll bring him to either a dog park or a secluded park, beach, etc. We're always respectful of everyone around us and always supervise closely. We've never brought him with us to Baja, but when we do, we'll obviously need to be very careful...

Loose Dogs

J.P. - 6-6-2013 at 01:14 PM

I live in Baja, I have a neighbor that lives in the states and comes down regularly. I have often heard him comment, Gee Dogs are so lucky they can come down here and run free. That attitude is conveyed by way too many people and is totally wrong.

shari - 6-6-2013 at 02:26 PM

JP...in your opinion it is totally wrong...but it is one of the zillions of things I love about Baja...dogs dont require leashes...people require brains to keep their dogs under control!!! Dogs really arent a problem in our village..yes things get rather loud when b-tches are in heat but this too passes.

Here is an example of It's a Dog's Life in the village! this dog sleeps on the hood of the mechanics car and when he starts er up the dog jumps up on top so the driver can see! They cruise all over town like this...so cool.

pauldavidmena - 6-9-2013 at 07:02 AM

Some people - particularly those who don't own pets - don't make a distinction between dogs that are off-leash but under supervision and dogs that are left to fend for themselves. All the more reason for dog owners to be respectful of other people's property and vigilant for the pets' safety.

Pets

J.P. - 6-9-2013 at 08:52 AM

I have Pets, I love my Pets, I have a large secure environment for my pet's they do not run loose and defile other Peoples Property When I take my dogs for a walk I clean up after them. Although there may be no posted laws in Baja about pet control I see it as the Personal responsibility of pet owners to control pets. What is it some people don't get about being a good neighbor and a responsible pet owner.

Bubba - 6-9-2013 at 09:27 AM

Very, very sad that somebody would sink so low to poison an animal, especially a dog. It's a slow, painful death.

J.P. - 6-9-2013 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Very, very sad that somebody would sink so low to poison an animal, especially a dog. It's a slow, painful death.

A lot of the poison that's available here across the counter that is available here you cant buy in the states. my neighbor's dog that was so lucky he could run free got ahold of some and I was surprised how fast it acted. In defense of the Indefensible act of poisoning Dogs the ground Squirrels have about over ran us this year people are putting poison out for them and the LOOSE UNSUPERVISED DOGS OCCASIONALY GET INTO IT.

Lee - 6-9-2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote:

Personally, I don't condone poisoning animals but that's a NOB attitude.

New Rules SOB.

I don't consider the Pescadero farmer as sinking low when he warns he is about to put poison in his fields to kill all animals. He doesn't want dogs running through his basil and he feels justified in saving his crop.

Those putting poison out at Cerritos are looking at dog control. It might be someone random, actually, who just doesn't like dogs. Or, it's those who see more and more dogs running loose dropping doodoo on the beach. No warning here.

I rarely walk my dog on this beach but when I have, I have her within 20' of me off leash. I never really take my eyes off of her because she is a food scavenger and will eat anything that looks good.

The poison being put out isn't chewy edibles. Probably something so tasty it'll be swallowed whole in a nano-second.

Keep an eye on your dog at Cerritos. Go far South away from buildings.

Life is cheap down here and cheaper for dogs.

Bubba - 6-9-2013 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Personally, I don't condone poisoning animals but that's a NOB attitude.

New Rules SOB.

I don't consider the Pescadero farmer as sinking low when he warns he is about to put poison in his fields to kill all animals. He doesn't want dogs running through his basil and he feels justified in saving his crop.

Those putting poison out at Cerritos are looking at dog control. It might be someone random, actually, who just doesn't like dogs. Or, it's those who see more and more dogs running loose dropping doodoo on the beach. No warning here.

I rarely walk my dog on this beach but when I have, I have her within 20' of me off leash. I never really take my eyes off of her because she is a food scavenger and will eat anything that looks good.

The poison being put out isn't chewy edibles. Probably something so tasty it'll be swallowed whole in a nano-second.

Keep an eye on your dog at Cerritos. Go far South away from buildings.

Life is cheap down here and cheaper for dogs.

Good Morning, please be so kind to explain what NOB and SOB mean. Thank you in advance.

pauldavidmena - 6-9-2013 at 11:27 AM

NOB = North of the Border
SOB = South of the Border

Bubba - 6-9-2013 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena
NOB = North of the Border
SOB = South of the Border

Got it, Thank you. I may be north of the border now but have been traveling in Baja since the late 70's and know exactly what goes on. It still doesn't excuse poisoning dogs. Thanks again.

cerritosguy - 6-9-2013 at 02:11 PM

tony cordova (cerritos beach club)and roger pollock (surf colony) are the guys poisening the dogs..tony even admits it in a very odd manner on tripadvisor dot com

cerritosguy - 6-9-2013 at 02:42 PM

and its warferin in whatever left overs from the restaurants..pizza, hambergurs ,w/e they got

Kgryfon - 6-9-2013 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cerritosguy
tony cordova (cerritos beach club)and roger pollock (surf colony) are the guys poisening the dogs..tony even admits it in a very odd manner on tripadvisor dot com

Where's that at, Cerritosguy? I looked on Tripadvisor but no luck.

monoloco - 6-9-2013 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cerritosguy
and its warferin in whatever left overs from the restaurants..pizza, hambergurs ,w/e they got
From the descriptions of the poisonings that I've heard about, I think they're using something much more toxic that warfarin. Everyone I know here has been hoping a big hurricane comes and cleanses the beach of those scoundrels.

cerritosguy - 6-9-2013 at 04:52 PM

i know the couple that lost chica..i live nearby for 5 months a year..we all know who did it..im not afraid of the wanna be gangster that did it..hes done it before too btw..2 years ago
look here
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1636027-i26124-k6142483...

poisoning of dogs

C-Urchin - 6-10-2013 at 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I learned this the nauseating way...

"Salchichas y veneno para ratas y ratones"

"They" slice open a hot dog and sprinkle tasteless and odorless Sodium Warfarin into the slice. It doesn't take much. The animal dies from massive spontaneous internal hemorrhage.

An adopted Mexican dog is the moat loving and loyal creature on the face of the earth.

The local fishermen here in la Paz use "Botete" (blowfish liver) to "thin out" the population of cats, dogs, rats. Bad neurotoxin. Ugly.

No words to express how I feel about it.

motoged - 6-10-2013 at 12:25 AM

Poison is only one way to manage nuisance animals...especially when folks don't have a gun.

I don't generally support either, but farmers and ranchers have a different attitude to dogs than folks with their pets that are like surrogate children....

But if it is just a guy running an overpriced tourist trap...maybe he deserves some direct action :light:

Lee - 6-10-2013 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Poison is only one way to manage nuisance animals.....
But if it is just a guy running an overpriced tourist trap...maybe he deserves some direct action :light:

The Perp has been ID'd and those in the area will not be sad to see him and his buddy disappear. Beyond the dog thing, these are bad people.