BajaNomad

Baja Champbrule (Sparkling Wine)

Juan del Rio - 3-9-2013 at 09:30 PM

Baja Champagnes…

…ok, I know it’s “sparkling wine”, but I picked this up at L.A. Cetto Vineyards a few weeks ago and it was very good. I think about $14. Does anyone know where to purchase other than at L.A. Cetto’s Vineyard's in Baja...or in the Los Angeles area?

On another subject… I never driven from Ensenada to Tecate on the “backroad” …ever!

WOW. What a nice drive!

I would like to learn more about the area for sure. I know that there are some very seasoned, “Baja Norte” travelers here on the Board that may have done the trip many times.

Having spent most of my time these past years in Baja Sur and travelling only up the coastal route to the border, I would love to become educated with this special area’s vineyards and take my young bride (of 25 years) on a "Local" tour in June on our next drive trip North.

Any travel/other vineyard visiting/exploring/ suggestions/websites/possible itineraries from Ensenada to Tecate (no spa info please!) would be appreciated. Your expertise and suggestions are welcomed!

[Edited on 3-10-2013 by Juan del Rio]

IMG_2280X.JPG - 44kB

L.A. Cetto Tasting Room

Juan del Rio - 3-9-2013 at 09:40 PM

Very nice:

436-DSC_1152X.jpg - 46kB

LA Cetto Cava

bajaguy - 3-9-2013 at 10:27 PM

You can pick up LA Cetto wines in Ensenada. Their cava is located on Hwy 1 on your right as you drive out of town, across the street from Sano's restaurant.

Fuentes Winery

bajaguy - 3-9-2013 at 10:34 PM

If you sre headed toward Tecate on Hwy 3 from Ensenada, you pass several wineries and the wine museum on your left...you will will come to a large bridge spanning the dry riverbed. After you cross the bridge, there will be a "Y" intersection on your left with some wine barrels as a monument in the center of the "Y" intersection.

Make a "left turn" at the "Y" intersection and you will see the PEMEX station. This town is Francisco Zarco. Continue west and you will come to the village of El Provener.

If you pass through on a weekend, stop by the Fuentes Winery In (El Provener-on your left) for a free tasting and say "hi" to Miguel.

CP - 3-10-2013 at 08:03 AM

We have bought Champbrulé at Chedrau in La Paz a few years ago, Cactus liquor in Loreto more recently, and just last week I saw it at the convenience store in Hotel Santa Fe in Loreto.
It is my favorite sparkling wine for under $15.

[Edited on 3-10-2013 by CP]

Thank you...

Juan del Rio - 3-10-2013 at 05:01 PM

...both for the information!