BajaNomad

Preserving the catch. Pressure canning on the road.

vgabndo - 3-24-2013 at 08:16 PM

I'm still playing with Photobucket 'stories'. Here's another.

http://s99.photobucket.com/user/vgabndo/story/12795#

castaway$ - 3-24-2013 at 10:15 PM

We did the same on our trip last December, we found a pressure cooker to borrow and searched out pint canning jars in Cabo, ended up with 48 jars of yellowtail. Yummmmm

mcfez - 3-25-2013 at 08:05 AM

Packing in water or oil?

Pompano - 3-25-2013 at 08:15 AM

Shades of Mulege Cannery Row back in the day...

Anyone recall that fiasco? :rolleyes:

castaway$ - 3-25-2013 at 10:11 AM

We pack it in water, the fish has enough oil that it comes out just like tuna, however it is closer to yellowfin than the albacore we get up here in Oregon.

DavidE - 3-25-2013 at 10:38 AM

Just a teensey-weensey heads up...

To keep your canned fish out-of-sight when passing through inspection stations. Don't know about these days but it used to be the marinas would confiscate home canned fish, and canning equipment if they suspected it was being used to preserve marine products. On beaches the marinas used to inspect the inside of RV's and seize canning equipment and canned products.

But times may have changed...

How about US Customs and that law that declared fish has to have some kind of identification of species attached (like a fin)?

Have times changed that much?

castaway$ - 3-25-2013 at 02:22 PM

You know David we never had any issues with anyone. Passing through check stations it was in boxes in the camper where it was visible and I saw them open it and they didn't asy anything. At the U.S. border I declared it, They asked if we were bringing fish back and I told them yes then they asked how much and I told them 48 pints, no problem.:yes:

vgabndo - 3-25-2013 at 03:25 PM

My experience was the same. No questions from the Mexican authorities, and I declared honestly(in guarded language) my canned fish to homeland security. The canner was a little hard to hide in the camper too!

I use no water or oil. I find that the fish from the Progresso cannery has only the liquid from the fish most times.

I would do pints next time, although I find it a difficult size to use all at once. They would be more efficient in my cooker. I've read that in canning fish, or meat, don't go larger than a pint.

DavidE - 3-25-2013 at 03:27 PM

castaways, thank you and now I silently cry because I passed up the opportunity of carrying 20 jars of Dorado up to the states a couple of years ago.

msteve1014 - 3-25-2013 at 04:17 PM

yellowtail is on the bottom of my list of fish to can. I would much rather can bonita, if I can't get tuna. The yellowtail always seems "hard"

DavidE - 3-25-2013 at 04:34 PM

I dream of Wahoo

Timo1 - 3-25-2013 at 04:35 PM

A tablespoon of olive oil will make them soft

But I use a pressure canner

15 psi max

vgabndo - 3-25-2013 at 06:19 PM

I like to mix mine with a can of Salsa Casera and equal amounts of mayo and crema to make a dip for totopos. Dry is OK 'cause the salsa is wet.

At my house this recipe has to be multiplied!:lol:

woody with a view - 3-25-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I like to mix mine with a can of Salsa Casera and equal amounts of mayo and crema to make a dip for totopos. :lol:

that doesn't sound good at all!:rolleyes:

vgabndo - 3-26-2013 at 01:53 AM

I stole the recipe from the Palapa Restaurant in Loreto. I think they use Atun. The Progresso Jurel Ahumado is also a good choice in this mix. You're right, it tastes awful.:lol:

Pablito1 - 3-26-2013 at 07:12 AM

Twenty years or so ago there used to be several people who spent a lot of time camped around Las Barriles that canned marlin. I have had it several times and it's excellent. One of the "old timers" that camped a lot in Martin Verdugos place gave me his recipe and it was to fill a pint jar almost full of fish, add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of smoke flavored barecue sauce and then put top on and process. I use this resipe all the time. Just this past September I canned 2 cases of kokanee. Try it, you will like it!

Regards, Pablito

BajaBlanca - 3-26-2013 at 07:48 AM

Pablito... welcome to bajanomad and that recipe sounds fantastic. so does your salsa dip, vagabndo.

vgabndo - 3-26-2013 at 05:05 PM

Pablito, that's a cool idea. I also read of using a spoon of French salad dressing. I haven't been willing to risk the fish!